Salvation | Russian River Brewing Company

Ratings: 1,232 |  Reviews: 473

1.5/5  rDev -63.3%

2.25/5  rDev -45%

2.48/5  rDev -39.4%

Holy Christ, a reasonable pour and my glass is nothing but head, barely even half an oz of beer at the bottom, and a glass of head. Deep dark amber (nearly black) in color that’s rather opaque…nearly impossible to see through to be honest. Though light shines through to give the deep amber color.

Dark spiced hef? Bananas, cloves, slight candied malt, with some slight molasses or just enough sweetness to avoid any sour or crisp notes often associated with a hef.

The only word I have to describe this beer is INTENSE. Caps are very much needed here. I would go back and age this if I could do it again, 3-4 years might mellow this. This beer brings out the intense flavors of an Eisen bock with the spices of a Belgian beer. Certainly has the bananas and cloves from the nose, but intense hops and a HUGE rum like alcohol flavor at the end.

Too thick, too alcoholic, too carbonated….I can’t think of anything good to say here.

9% abv shouldn’t be this harsh, intense, or any of this. If Russian Rivers wants me to wait a few years to drink this they should put a best after date to let me know not to open it. I think age will help this beer but this beer needs a LOT of help.

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%

2.75/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.8/5  rDev -31.5%

375mL brown glass cork and caged bottle. Batch # 010.

Pours a medium dark dark brown with some off-white head. Nice, but nothing special. Nose is fairly simple and smells like belgian yeast, cashews and dark malt grain. Palate is roasty in a weird way. Malt flavor is weird, like maybe the mash was burnt partially. Or maybe the yeast is just odd. There's an unpleasant flavor here. BSDA all the way, but adding this weird flavor makes this seem a little amateur.

As it warms up a bit, I think it's just a weird flavor interaction with the yeast (banana/clove and drying) and the malt (Belgian brown is really more accurate). Not a fan.

EDIT: After rating this one, I felt like maybe I was off-base a little...BUT then I read some of the other reviews below and people said things like "Not my favorite RR brew" and gave it a "B" so I think I'm on par here, maybe just being a little more "honest" with my rating.

2.92/5  rDev -28.6%

Batch 5. Very attractive dark mahogany colored ale, with an authentically Belgian looking head that lasts and laces well. Nose lacks depth and descriptive character. Has some nice elements of dark fruit and toffee, but it lacks intensity and complexity. Batch 5 seems like it's not a great batch.

[email protected] River Brewpub. Heavy sweetness, lots of figgy caramel flavours, with some late acidity to balance it out, bit too sweet though. Some sweet vanilla and pear also noticed, but not quite my cup of tea in the end, will definitely try again one day though.

I wasn't that impressed with it

3.08/5  rDev -24.7%

Big dark bready style of pour, aroma was much the same way. Lots of prune in it.

Taste, reminiscient of those shitty fruitcakes your aunt would bring to the holidays. Lots of spice rack and clove here, dark fruit notes all over it, rye bread.

I'm glad they like it, but I just can't get into this style of beer.

3.09/5  rDev -24.4%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a dark brown, with a medium white head, which leaves pretty good lacing.

S: Smell was quite faint and hard to find at first. Peppery smell, molasses, bananas.

T: Strong taste of dark malt, light molasses and charcoal. Light bit of fruity ester, but doesn't have the overall complexity I like in the style.

M: Lighter on the body than I expected, feels more like a 5-6% beer, mild carbonation, relatively smooth.

D: An OK beer from Russian River, not one of their best IMO, but I'm glad I finally found it to try it, all right drinkable dark ale.

3.13/5  rDev -23.5%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark brown with a reddish hue and a 2 finger off white head

smell: sour, sweet malts,

taste: slight sourness, sweet, dry finish

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body

overall: not one of my favorite Russian River brews but not the worst either.

cheers,
The cpj

3.14/5  rDev -23.2%

Dark beer, dark, ample head. Aroma was big and bready. Didn't pick up sweetness even though the aroma was singularly prune.

Taste, damn thick fruitcake like bread with dates in it. Turned me off, reminded me of that crappy stuff that gets put on the table to eat around the holidays. Clove sticks its head out. One aspect I was able to appreciate was the edge of cocao. Still can't overcome the date and plum dominance. One of my least favorite Russian River beers (drank this at the brewery). Come to think of it, this IS my least favorite.

3.16/5  rDev -22.7%

Compared to other Belgians my ranking of this one must appear pretty high. This 9% monster poured a nice copper color, off white head lasted long and left decent lace patterns. Aroma was of some banana and of course yeast. While taste profile was on the smooth side, there was noticible alcohol. Banana was on the mellow side and some bready yeast was detectable. A well made brew that once again just does not do it for me. I wish it did.

Salvation from Russian River Brewing Company