Sanctification | Russian River Brewing Company

SanctificationSanctification

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Who’s afraid of the "big bad BRETT?" We’ll tell you who: winemakers! Because of our close proximity to several hundred wineries, we often get winemakers visiting our brewery. (After all, it takes a lot of great beer to make great wine!) Because we use 100% Brettanomyces yeast to ferment Sanctification, most winemakers will only smell the glass, and only a very few will venture to taste the beer. They think the Brettanomyces will attach to their clothing and end up in their winery. A simple solution was offered: keep a smudge pot burning at the door of our brewery so they can burn their clothes when exiting, but even that was not enough. After giving it more thought, we concluded that winemakers think Brettanomyces might scar their taste buds and possible even permeate their skin? Either way, Sanctification is one of the most unique beers you will ever taste! It was fermented with 100% Brettanomyces, rather than the traditional Saccharomyces.

Added by Bierman9 on 10-27-2004

Ratings: 2,742 |  Reviews: 626

1.75/5  rDev -59.6%

2.39/5  rDev -44.8%

Batch 005 375ml bottle poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip,
Sanctification is a murky piss yellow with a few big bubbles on the collar, a smattering of it sticking to the sides of the tulip as I drink it down.

Smell is musty, smells like vegetables that have gone bad. I love sours, all strains, single and combos, and this is the worst smelling in a hard to be able to even take another whiff way.

Taste is similar, a big vegetable taste that is rather unappealing. There some chalkiness, a little malt sweetness, but very little sourness, no horsehair,

Mouthfeel is watery, thin, a bit like a lambic, with a little acidic pucker.

Drinkability isn't that good, not digging this one at all. Russian River is pretty hit or miss with their sours, depending on where you drink them in their evolution, and judging by the high scores, I obviously should have given this brand new batch more time. The problem is, it's so bad, I'm not sure I want to buy another one just to see if it improves. Regardless, it's pretty bad right now, I want my $10 back!

2.5/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Imbibed on tap at Harry's Hofbrau on 3/31/2012.

Looks like a wit. Cloudy, tawny, but with very little head. Lots of light malts in aroma, some whit bread characteristics, no sourness to speak of. Horse blanket comes as it warms (was served too cold imho). Taste starts out with light malt, coriander, follwed by tart, slightly sour taste. Bitter after flavor lingers in the back of the throat and mingles with tartness. Lots of brett, but not any of the other critters I enjoy so much. Pretty grainy mouthfeel, indicative of the cloudy look.

I was looking for something complex and this one just didn't deliver. Looking back, I know i had my expectations all wrong, but at the same time, you can make the base malt a little more interesting. There really wasn't much to this beer that I could isolate as interesting. I love the idea of just fermenting with a bacteria though. Gotta give it to them for doing something that no other brewery has tried (to my knowledge). I think a real problem with this was that I had it too cold and in the wrong glassware. The small serving glasses that Harry's serves is more like a tiny Pilsener glass, when something like this would be much better in a globe or tulip glass with something to keep head retention. In my opinion, most beer is served too cold, and I feel it really hurt this beer in particular. Would try it again if someone had it in a bottle or served it properly, but I'm not going out of my way to find it.

2.69/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.25

12 oz bottle. Not counting a couple of collaboration beers, this is my first R. River - too bad it has to be a Brett beer. I have a very limited tolerance for Brett and even less for vinegar. With that in mind:

Pours light amber, hazy, with a small head. The aroma bodes poorly: Brett/wild ale with some vinegar. Intimidating. Given that, the taste was a bit better but still too funky. Nicely sour with a hint of old bread. Fine medium-light feel.

2.86/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This is really interesting. This is my first sour ale ever. This smells like a sour shock top. The taste is like a really fermented and watered down shock top. Sours are not my thing

Sanctification from Russian River Brewing Company