Sanctification | Russian River Brewing Company

SanctificationSanctification

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Who’s afraid of the "big bad BRETT?" We’ll tell you who: winemakers! Because of our close proximity to several hundred wineries, we often get winemakers visiting our brewery. (After all, it takes a lot of great beer to make great wine!) Because we use 100% Brettanomyces yeast to ferment Sanctification, most winemakers will only smell the glass, and only a very few will venture to taste the beer. They think the Brettanomyces will attach to their clothing and end up in their winery. A simple solution was offered: keep a smudge pot burning at the door of our brewery so they can burn their clothes when exiting, but even that was not enough. After giving it more thought, we concluded that winemakers think Brettanomyces might scar their taste buds and possible even permeate their skin? Either way, Sanctification is one of the most unique beers you will ever taste! It was fermented with 100% Brettanomyces, rather than the traditional Saccharomyces.

Added by Bierman9 on 10-27-2004

#417
Liked:
4.33/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,742 |  Reviews: 626

3.53/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I sampled this at the wet-hop tasting at RFD’s in Washington, D.C. This came out a slightly cloudy golden orange with a decent bit of head to it that left some lace. Aroma was fruity and had a little spice and sweetness to it. Taste was similar with various fruity flavors over a layer of sweetness and spiciness. There was a nice tartness to it as well. Mouthfeel was a bit light and drinkability was ok. Interesting take on the style that I would try again.

3.54/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.54/5  rDev -18.2%

375mL Batch 005 into a LaChouffe Tulip, slow pour, yeast left behind

A- Golden, strawlike hue. Good amount of egg-white colored head, dissipating a little hastily from the top of the glass.

S- I'm not quite yet the sour connoisseur, but I imagine this what has been pointed out to me as the Brettanomyces. Nice sour aromas there with some citrus, green apples, and peach.

T- Sour, but not as acute like the Drie Fonteinen or Brouwerij beers I've had. Pronounced lemon and lime citrus, indiscernible dry spice-like taste, and just a nice meld of those flavors. Some orange or red grapefruit kind of lingers in the dryness.

M- Effervescent, but not too much, actually very refreshing. Has a dry finish, and now I'm curious to try a few of the others I have that are aged in the wine barrels.

O- This was pretty solid, and perhaps a nice gateway beer to sours if you can get your hands on some of it. As I alluded to above, now I want to see what happens with the Supplication, Consecration, and Temptation as they sit in some wine barrels. Interesting stuff!

3.55/5  rDev -18%

Batch #5

Poured from the caged and corked small bottle into my usual tulip. A couple inches of foamy white head sits atop a very attractive golden yellow brew. Beer was decanted off the yeast, so it's hazy but not cloudy.

The smell of brett bursts out of the bottle when the cork is popped. In addition to all the brett there's a solid amount of sour/tart lemon. There's a nice malty smell underlying everything.

The flavor doesn't have quite the same impact as the smell which is a little disappointing. Plenty of funk with the sour lemon coming in as well. Taste is nice on the palate just a little boring.

Mouthfeel is nice. Perfect body and carbonation. Overall a good beer, just not too exciting.

3.55/5  rDev -18%

Batch 005

A: Active, bubbly, yellow pour with a nice white head. Retention is great. The cork was really difficult to get out.

S: Smells a lot like a blonde ale, yeasty, light, fruits, with some Brett mixed in.

T: The taste is very sour, without much flavor to curb it. The typical hefeweizen-like flavors are there: yeast, banana, clove. But they are complimented with the sourness. Sort of an odd taste. A bit too sweet for my liking.

MF: Really carbonated, perhaps too much so. Light, but it has a strange aftertaste.

O: I was disappointed by this one. Just not enough flavor to hold it together. This was one odd sour.

3.6/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a thin layer of pinkish-white head over a cloudy dead straw liquid. Smells dank horseblanket with light bright cherry. Lemon, pineapple, and green grape.

Tastes woody drieness with cherry sweet pucker. Lemon, oranges, green apple, and dash of clovey phenol. Md-light mouthfeel with some silkiness. Medium carbonation and moderate drinkability.

3.61/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

64oz Growler. Shared and provided by my main man Infestaxion. Thanks Daive. Served in my Ithaca Tulip.

A: Bright golden pour with almost a two finger fluffy white head. Disappeared fairly quickly, but lacing is very nice. Looks as good as many other RR offerings I've had.

S: Slightly acidic sourness, with some sweet lemon. Small amount of barnyard funk and Brett. Kind of muted however.

T: Surprisingly almost no sourness whatsoever. There's some citrus and lemon paired with bready yeast. Bitter hops, Brett, and some barnyard funk provide a little tartness. Finally some spices and pepper kick in towards the finish.

M: Light to medium body. Very nice carbonation. Nice and dry on the end.

D: Not bad, but I'm still waiting for the sour and tartness that I felt should be there. It feels a little unbalanced to me.

I was to say the least, confused after drinking this. I was under the impression this was going to be a sour offering like many of the other -tion brews. It was very much more like a funky saison/farmhouse ale with Brett. A few days later trying this, I even had a friend sample it who's had Sanctification in a bottle. He thought it was very different and lacking the big sourness that's mentioned in many reviews. I wanted to get to the bottom of this, so I e-mailed Vinnie at RR. He awesomely responded within a few hours in response to my inquiry. Here is his response:

"Regarding the Sanctification, I am taking this beer in a different direction now days. What you tasted was the first or second batch where I switched strains of Brett and am using less Lacto and Pedio in the beer. This is what I always intended this beer to be, but, over the years it always went
to the sour side. The new strain of Brett is more to my liking and it worked better with less bacteria as well."

Thanks Vinnie. Still a very solid offering from Russian River. I actually enjoyed it more the 2nd time I had it when polishing off the Growler.

3.63/5  rDev -16.2%

hazy lemon yellow with a bone white head, this one looks lemony tart, well see what comes next.
The aroma has moderate funk, nothing overpowering or super wild, along with a juicy belgian like yeasty quality, and some lemony fruits.
The flavors hit a soft tart lemon bite right up front but fades out quickly, doesn't finish super dry or at least as dry as the tart front makes you think it would, the funk comes through with the lemon in a damp straw manner. Enjoyable and very approachable.

Good beer i'd drink any single day,but i'm still in love with Suplication & Concecration though, those are RRs gems im my eyes.

3.65/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into snifter glass. A couple inches of thick white head built up and it just remained there for quite a while. It's a good presentation. The beer had that bright hay color. Very, very opaque, yet it's not cloudy with yeast sediment.

Did not pick up much with aroma. There's definitely something funky and plenty of tartness but nothing too unique.

Taste-wise this is quite sour. It's really hard to expand from that. It does finish bitter like citrus zest. Eventually as the beer warmed up, there was definitely a ton of flavors of a grapefruit rind.

It has a light bodied mouthfeel. Quite acidic, gives that gritty feeling, likes after you brush your teeth.

This is only the 2nd of the sour beers I have tried from RR. The first was Supplication. Supplication was way better as there were more flavors coming from the fruits. However this is a good beer and I'm glad to try it. RR makes so many sours that I have to try others before trying this one again.

3.65/5  rDev -15.7%

-started off great, yellowy, gold in color with some nice fogginess. not much head or any of the other good head characteristics

-it started off mostly bananas with me. as i progressed through it, some lemon came through. a bit, but not too much of the brett or sour smell

-definitely the least sour of the RR sours which is okay, just don't expect it to be when you try it. some lime/grapefruit style bitterness in the end. semi-closely resembles a corona with some salt and lime in it which is not necessarily a good thing as far as i'm concerned

-dry for the most part, but some oiliness tries to sneak in. tart in the mouth too for sure

-was an okay beer, but i don't think i would ever order again (considering all the other amazing things i can order at RR)

3.66/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured into a tulip.

Well, it definitively exhibits a golden body, with a white, thick foamy head forming upon the initial pour. Reemerges decently upon agitation, with the legs sliding down thick as I tilt. Very nice.

Aromas exhibit a mellow intensity of citrus (lemon and orange) and slight barnyard/horse blanket funk, the latter being mildly sharp. It’s pleasant, though I am wishing it would lift the nostrils just a bit higher.

Flavors threw me off at first, primarily because I found it fairly one-dimensional. As I continue sipping, however, a balanced blend of lemon and funk washes across the palate, signifying Sanctification’s rightful place as an unmistakable Russian River beer.

Mouthfeel is thinner, but the effervescence is perfect in creating a kind of snap, crackle, and pop on the palate. I like the dryness this exhibits as well.

Overall, I like it, though not amongst my favorites due to the fact that I have nary a preference for lemons. Sorry. If there were just a tab bit of sweetness, the taste preference would steer this in the A category. Plus it’s undoubtedly funky and smooth, though not necessarily complex. I would knock back a couple per serving, but should Supplication or Consecration or Temptation or Beautification be offered in its stead, this would be left to someone else.

3.67/5  rDev -15.2%