Sanctification | Russian River Brewing Company

SanctificationSanctification

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Who’s afraid of the "big bad BRETT?" We’ll tell you who: winemakers! Because of our close proximity to several hundred wineries, we often get winemakers visiting our brewery. (After all, it takes a lot of great beer to make great wine!) Because we use 100% Brettanomyces yeast to ferment Sanctification, most winemakers will only smell the glass, and only a very few will venture to taste the beer. They think the Brettanomyces will attach to their clothing and end up in their winery. A simple solution was offered: keep a smudge pot burning at the door of our brewery so they can burn their clothes when exiting, but even that was not enough. After giving it more thought, we concluded that winemakers think Brettanomyces might scar their taste buds and possible even permeate their skin? Either way, Sanctification is one of the most unique beers you will ever taste! It was fermented with 100% Brettanomyces, rather than the traditional Saccharomyces.

Added by Bierman9 on 10-27-2004

4.3

Ratings: 2,730 |  Reviews: 626

4.04/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

General: I found this bottle at one of our local craft beer shops, they had it hidden in the back because they only got a 12 pack of it. Thankfully I know them well enough to get one of them! I poured this into a ballast point tulip glass. I left the bottom 1/4" or so in the bottle because of the bottle fermentation, managed to keep the majority of the brett in the bottle.

Appearance: Really nice blonde ale color, kind of a golden hue to it. there is minimal head but what is there is white and very thin. There is some slight lacing on the glass.

Aroma: There is a nice citrus hit with this beer but there is a slight underlying funk. The horse blanket isn't there in all honesty but the citrus nose is in full force. I detect just a touch of malt.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is pretty high, there is a drying effect with this beer. body is pretty light for a blonde ale but it's very refreshing!

Taste: Lots of citrus hits in here, that's the brett coming through full force. There isn't much of a blonde ale left anymore in all honesty. it's pretty much just a sour, not much malt to stand up to the citrus flavors in this. Refreshing is the best thing that I can think of, it's like a strange sort of lemonade or other citrus drink.

Overall: Pretty good sour. I like that this has the citrus flavors rather than the horse blanket flavor. I think that I would have this a little colder than I did on this one. It was only about 60F when I drank it, somewhere around 50F would be better for sure. For the price of this (this bottle was 12 oz and cost $18) isn't worth it unless you are really into sours. If you see it for a decent price it's not bad.

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375 mL (12.68 oz.) bottle purchased at 1 West Dupont in NW D.C., bottle date 01/28/2014, poured into my small Tired Hands glass and drank over 30 minutes

A: 3/3 - golden-yellow coloration, moderate clarity for style (but could not read or see through), initial 1 finger soapy white head settles into a subtle glass lacing, moderate carbonation with tight white bubbles arising from the bottom of the glass, moderate alcohol legs

S: 10/12 - big admixture of citrus fruit - lemon peel, key lime, and apricot - and sour - acetic, barnyard and tart - notes; no detectable hops, malts, or flaws

T: 18/20 - on first sip, there 's an intense tart/funk with complex fruit flavors in the background - lemon, lime, ripe pear; in the middle of the mouth, some of the oak and starts to pop; there's a barely detectable malt character; little detectable hops or alcohol; finishes dry

M: 4/5 - high carbonation, high drinkability (as expected for the low alcohol), just a little thin, which is why I detracted a point

T: 9/10 - another winning RR sour; although expensive, $30/bottle in the greater Washington D.C. area, this is definitely worth your investment for now and later as it will probably only develop more tartness with time

TOTAL - 44/50