Sanctification | Russian River Brewing Company

SanctificationSanctification

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Who’s afraid of the "big bad BRETT?" We’ll tell you who: winemakers! Because of our close proximity to several hundred wineries, we often get winemakers visiting our brewery. (After all, it takes a lot of great beer to make great wine!) Because we use 100% Brettanomyces yeast to ferment Sanctification, most winemakers will only smell the glass, and only a very few will venture to taste the beer. They think the Brettanomyces will attach to their clothing and end up in their winery. A simple solution was offered: keep a smudge pot burning at the door of our brewery so they can burn their clothes when exiting, but even that was not enough. After giving it more thought, we concluded that winemakers think Brettanomyces might scar their taste buds and possible even permeate their skin? Either way, Sanctification is one of the most unique beers you will ever taste! It was fermented with 100% Brettanomyces, rather than the traditional Saccharomyces.

Added by Bierman9 on 10-27-2004

#430

Ratings: 2,766 |  Reviews: 633

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

2.75/5  rDev -36.5%

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

A - pours a hazy blonde with a standard head that disappears and forms a ring. No lace. A few bubbles.

S - relatively mild aroma. Leather, white grape, pineapple, green apple and oak.

T - is similar to the aroma. White grape, green apple with a lemony and soft oaky finish.

M - light-medium body. Creamy. Nicely tart and somewhat astringent, but not quite sour.

O - despite being fermented with 100% Brett, I wouldn't call this a funky ale. It's more fruity and tart than funky. That's fine. It's a tasty beer, but it's my least favorite RR sour.

4.44/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

375ml c&c dated 11/27/2012, poured into a Russian River stemmed snifter and quaffed today on a 80 degree afternoon in Wisconsin, 5/18/2013. Cork popped hard, forboding great things for this beer.

Aroma: I get tons of Brett funk along with very tart cherry and vinegar. Tons and tons of it all. It reminds me of a funky chardonnay- its got that sweet tartness along with that earthy funk. A bit one-dimensional but definitely brings its game. (4)

Colour: Pours a hazy straw blonde colour with a ton of head- even as I pour slowly it throws up a massive >3cm head that slowly recedes into a supremely thick white film that is about half a cm. And stays that way. The lacing is spectacular on this Russian River glass. Absolutely amazing and appetizing blonde. (5)

Flavour: Woo! Lots of sour funk up front that makes me pucker up a bit, followed by a more subdued tartness reminding me of cherry and grapes along with a sweet breadiness ending in a vinegary and lemony funk. Very unique flavour profile that I cannot help but savor. Delicious combination of Brett funk, tart vinegar and malt backbone. I've never tasted anything quite like this and I'm very impressed. If this kind of beer was its own category rather than an AWA, I can't imagine anything being much better. I actually would like a bit more tartness on top of the funkiness, but honestly it's world class. (4.75)

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied ale with incredible carbonation that isn't too over the top. A bit dry but stings the palate everywhere it comes into contact with a nice tart funkiness that lingers as the aftertaste briefly. It's very quaffable and refreshing- perfect for a 80 degree day in May. (4.25)

Overall: Russian River does it again. I feel they pretty much own the AWA category at this point in my young sour appreciating life. Very quaffable, full of complex flavours that satisfy my palate without overloading it while not being too heavy on any one particular characteristic. I am a big fan and will continue to seek out the Russian River offerings whenever I can get them. And you should too. (4.25)

Sanctification from Russian River Brewing Company