Sanctification | Russian River Brewing Company

SanctificationSanctification

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Who’s afraid of the "big bad BRETT?" We’ll tell you who: winemakers! Because of our close proximity to several hundred wineries, we often get winemakers visiting our brewery. (After all, it takes a lot of great beer to make great wine!) Because we use 100% Brettanomyces yeast to ferment Sanctification, most winemakers will only smell the glass, and only a very few will venture to taste the beer. They think the Brettanomyces will attach to their clothing and end up in their winery. A simple solution was offered: keep a smudge pot burning at the door of our brewery so they can burn their clothes when exiting, but even that was not enough. After giving it more thought, we concluded that winemakers think Brettanomyces might scar their taste buds and possible even permeate their skin? Either way, Sanctification is one of the most unique beers you will ever taste! It was fermented with 100% Brettanomyces, rather than the traditional Saccharomyces.

Added by Bierman9 on 10-27-2004

4.3

Ratings: 2,740 |  Reviews: 626

2.69/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.25

12 oz bottle. Not counting a couple of collaboration beers, this is my first R. River - too bad it has to be a Brett beer. I have a very limited tolerance for Brett and even less for vinegar. With that in mind:

Pours light amber, hazy, with a small head. The aroma bodes poorly: Brett/wild ale with some vinegar. Intimidating. Given that, the taste was a bit better but still too funky. Nicely sour with a hint of old bread. Fine medium-light feel.

4.36/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to JustXBeer for setting me up with this bottle. From notes.

A - Billowing head and carbonation. Retention is perfect. Hazy gold. Spotty, but voluminous lacing.

S - The aroma is perceptible from feet away. Preserved lemons, saline, acrid, coriander.

T - The best way for me to describe the taste is flouride-y funk. Zesty tang. Great brett profile. Rummy bananas in the finish with a very faint boozy trace.

M - Chewy body akin to a Weihenstephaner. Slight tingle

Awesome, I want to drink these all summer but I can't because I live in TN...occasionally I must though.

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I do love a good unique beer and Russian River has certainly come up with one with this. What the heck is a sour blond? Well, unless you find one of these you may never know, it is that unique. It is really sour, almost as if they dosed it with lemon zest, and the result is a treasure. It is not the most beautiful beer I've ever seen, the head is average, the ABV is average but when this brew hits your palate you'll know what a sour blond is, it only takes a moment. WOW! OK, I admit that a trip to the RR Brewery helped, so I waited to review a bottle. The small taster at the home pub at RR was not enough to judge, but now that I have opened a bottle I am convinced that this is a world class "occasional" beer. Unlike those great IPAs, drinkable by the gallon, this one requires a bit of time to enjoy and savor in it's uniqueness. Lest it be confused, this is not a hop beer, it is a blond that happens to pucker, have I mentioned unique, yes try and you'll be aware that a real style can deliver. I have no idea, but I guess the brewmaster had a demonic possession and he just broke out of hell with Santification. Try it but be prepared to pucker and enjoy.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%