Sanctification | Russian River Brewing Company

SanctificationSanctification

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Who’s afraid of the "big bad BRETT?" We’ll tell you who: winemakers! Because of our close proximity to several hundred wineries, we often get winemakers visiting our brewery. (After all, it takes a lot of great beer to make great wine!) Because we use 100% Brettanomyces yeast to ferment Sanctification, most winemakers will only smell the glass, and only a very few will venture to taste the beer. They think the Brettanomyces will attach to their clothing and end up in their winery. A simple solution was offered: keep a smudge pot burning at the door of our brewery so they can burn their clothes when exiting, but even that was not enough. After giving it more thought, we concluded that winemakers think Brettanomyces might scar their taste buds and possible even permeate their skin? Either way, Sanctification is one of the most unique beers you will ever taste! It was fermented with 100% Brettanomyces, rather than the traditional Saccharomyces.

Added by Bierman9 on 10-27-2004

#410

Ratings: 2,749 |  Reviews: 629

Just as I had to give this a perfect 5 when I first experienced it (and then over and over) at the Russian River brewpub in the August of '07, I have to do the same for this bottle, Bactch 003 that I brought back from that same trip. This bottle poured a beautiful clear golden with a generous white head. The smell is just sour. Also a bit funky/earthy as it warms up, but not overwhelming. The taste I can't really describe as anything other than sour but it's just so good to me. This is my favorite sour beer of all time, at least so far.

A truly fantastic beer! I wish I could get a hold of this in my neck of the woods! I will be back to Russian River Brewpub to enjoy it again in the future!

Sanctification from Russian River Brewing Company