Pliny The Younger | Russian River Brewing Company

rrbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by xlperro on 01-27-2005

Ratings: 3,076 |  Reviews: 946

Ok, had to find out what the hype was all about. Waited 90 minutes and was told I was a genius for going on a Tuesday. The nice thing is, Russian River only allows in as many as can be seated (none of the usual madhouse, quite civilized) and they charge the normal pricing for it (and are proud of it! Truly a labor of love!). Background: I'm not a hoppy guy. Doppelbocks, stouts, porters, ciders are where I live. This beer changed all that. Smooth, amazingly smooth with a hoppy finish at the back / center of the tongue. Not overpowering at all in taste but packs a punch at 10%. Very much worth the wait. Best beer I've ever had? Yes. Easily the best IPA. Got to enjoy seven (10 oz) glasses this year and I'll be back for more next year.

2017 UPDATE

Younger is different every year, depending on the quality of the hops (growing season, weather at harvest, etc.) and other factors. Over the last 7 years I have been drinking Younger, I felt 2015 was the best I had tasted.

But 2017, this the second week of the release - well - this is different. And I mean different. Two new hops were ADDED this year - Azacca and Comet - for a total of 8. As my friend put it, an East Coast style layered on a Pliny base.

And the result is spectacular. I won't even try to completely describe it. Drinkable. Complex does not do it justice. Flavors everywhere. Smooth. A triple unlike any I have tasted (and I have tasted quite a few) and the best IPA of any level I have ever tasted (even beating out Elder, which remains my overall favorite - after all, Younger is around just once a year).

I think this is a new category within IPAs, not East Coast, not West Coast or any other IPA category - an IPA style all of its own. A 5 ranking does not do it justice. I'm just glad I had the opportunity to get it this year!

2015 - I have been attending the Pliny the Younger release for several years. I have never rated the beer before. It has always been very, very good.

2015 is the most balanced Younger I have tasted.

It is great. There are no competitors.

Period.

Hint - ask for a tulip glass, pour the Younger in it and let Younger warm for 15 or 30 minutes - it will be better than you even imagined.

For not being an IPA fan, this Triple IPA is something that I wish you could purchase in a bottle. Tap availability only makes it taste that much better, sucks for those who do not get Russian River.

I've had this elixir twice --- once during its regular Feb. '09 release at the Eastside Tavern in Olympia and once, surprisingly, at HopFest at Brouwer's this past summer.

It pours a deep amber color with a foamy off-white head with nice lacing.

The smell is a sweet, yet floral hop kick. The pine and grapefruit are very strong.

While I expected the hoppy pine and grapefruit taste to follow the aroma, I was surprised at how sweet it was on the tongue. Don't get me wrong --- it's a palate killer. In both instances, I tried other brews following PtY and it was a waste.

It has a heavier mouthfeel than I expected it would. It was kind of syrupy, but in a very good way. It was smooooth.

Because I didn't notice any alcohol burn, I drank a couple of these right off. It came back to bite me.

2-13-08
On tap at Hollingsheads, poured into a Chimay goblet, transparent rich golden orange with not much foam. The smell is earthy but mostly citrusy hops. Pine citrus leafy hop taste. You get a nice bitterness in the end but its not overpowering. The mouthfeel is really good as there's not too much of a syrupy feel to it. There is a nice level of carbonation that is just prickly enough. This is about as drinkable as any triple or even double IPA could be. The high alcohol hits me but doesn't stop me from ordering another. I'm going back for more in a couple days.
5/4.5/5/5/4.5

4-15-08
I was able to revisit Younger at Lucky Baldwin's Delirium Cafe and must say that it's now my favorite IPA of any kind out there. The aroma really hit even more today as fresh citrus and pine and it was again exceptional. I think it deserves a 5 overall.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company