Pliny The Younger | Russian River Brewing Company

Ratings: 3,167 |  Reviews: 964

4.88/5  rDev +3.8%

4.5/5  rDev -4.3%

4.38/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The color was a golden yellow, smell was citrusy with a bit of piney-ness and taste was smooth. It lacks the typical bitterness that comes as a smack to the face with triple IPAs. All-in-all, it was delicious. I liked smelling it as much as I liked tasting it.

4.33/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Stood in line, being alone jumped me up a bit. Small, bright golden pour, small, scant head. Piney, hoppy aroma, flavor blossoms with resinous hoppy bitterness, ABV comes in late with a wallop. First sip was meh, but it gets better with each one. Scratch this off the bucket list.

4.96/5  rDev +5.5%

A President’s day Miracle! On draft at LadyFace Alehouse, Agoura Hills, CA.

Pours a slightly hazy deep golden yellow. Nice creamy white head with sticky lace retention.

Amazing balance on the nose. Pine, citrus, malt all coming together for aromas that aren’t too sweet but aren’t too bitter.

This is bursting with citrus and malt right away, with an even piney, floral hop presence on the backbone that rings powerfully throughout. The model for all West Coast styles to strive to be.

Nice light-medium body, medium effervescent carb, slightly sticky finish. Resinous.

And that’s it. Pliny the Younger. So incredibly hyped up, yet not typically a let down for anybody lucky enough to try it. I’m going to put my phone down now and enjoy this sucker. I’ve heard I’m not allowed to rate this below a 5, so call me a rebel.

4.89/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Finally tracked it down at Tonys Darts Away in Burbank, CA. It is definitely the best IPA I've ever had, and IPA is my favorite style, so I suppose it's the best beer I've ever had.

I wouldn't say it reaches perfection, despite surpassing all other beers--a realization that applies not just to beer, but to all of life. You expect a life-changing experience, and you get reality: an unrivaled, expertly crafted IPA that makes you wonder why they can't all be done this way. It seems so simple and obvious that it fails to be life changing. That's not its fault.

PtY pour a hazy golden with a nice creamy head that leaves sticky lacing behind as it slowly settles. The aroma is strong and fresh, with mango, passionfruit, grapefruit rind, pine, and a bit of caramel malt clearly coming through. The taste is very hop forward but extremely balanced, reflecting the above notes along with a bit of alcohol spice and a nice malt backbone that has both a dry cracker-like quality and some caramel sweetness. It is clean from front to back and finishes with a nice fresh dryness that doesn't linger too long. The body doesn't strike me as full or creamy or syrupy, but solidly medium and slightly resinous with just the right amount of carbonation.

It tastes big, but not TIPA 10.25% big. The hops and alcohol are counterbalanced by a carefully designed malt backbone, and this is where the real art is. It drives me crazy when big DIPAs with high IBUs also bring a syrupy sweetness in an attempt to "balance" the bitterness. The result is a muddled sickening mess. PtY expertly walks a fine line to achieve true balance while maintaining cleanness and celebrating, not muddying, the hops.

I wish I could obtain it every weekend--but then, I suppose, it would lose its excitement and allure. It's probably best just the way it is.

4.81/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally found it. Orange gold with a fair bit of haze which surprised me. Elder certainly has no haze. Big aroma of fruit, fantastic. Fruit flavor doesn't come over in the taste as much as I was expecting more floral and Piney. Huge hoppy finish. Ridiculously smooth for a triple ipa. Most triple ipas i have had seem to throw hops in to throw hops in. This seems to have been carefully crafted for sure. All in all a huge fantastic beer and worth the hype in my opinion.

4.24/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.7/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

So smooth and so intense - lupulin galore. First sip was so intense and smooth at the same time, makes your throat tingle from the obvious density of flavor and amount of ingredients going into this brew.
Pineapple and pine, grapefruit, flotal character, and a definite heavy presence of alcohol but it comes across as heat instead of a ethanol flavor component.
Amazing thick mouthfeel without feeling syrupy. Hop oils fall slowly off the tongue. Finish is long, citrusy, and slightly sweet with a bready maltiness that helps carry the abv heat.

Drank every drop of my 3 10oz. servings I was allotted.

4.68/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.15/5  rDev -11.7%

So you fly in from Australia, you wait for 3 hours in a line and you wonder ... is it just hype? No!!! It exceeds all expectations- the only question that needs to be asked ... when can I get back!! Truly privileged to have experienced the younger and the elder! My first 5 on BA to the younger!!

4.63/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.94/5  rDev +5.1%

4.7/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2018 version at the brewery. Very smooth for the abv. Drinks like a lower abv beer but packs a lot of flavor. Piney, grapefruit, floral. Very tasty. Wish this was year round!

4.67/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Well made and delicious. A lot of alcohol, so really packs a punch. Totally worth waiting in line, but probably not worth traveling across the country for.

4.21/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.55/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev -6.4%

Waited in line at the brew pub for this and the experience was definitely worth it. While I would take younger over any other triple I have had to date, I wouldn’t say that I preferred it to Blind Pig or Elder for that matter.

The pour was perfect, it looked like a beer to be excited about, just the right amount of head. It definitely left a good lacing on the glass.

I was surprised at how crisp it was for a triple IPA, others I have had are always very thick and heavy. This was not the case with Younger. The appearance was very clear, a golden color with zero haze.

It definitely packs a punch at 10.25% ABV, but when paired with “Pliny bites” at the brew pub, it was perfect.

A truly outstanding beer with a really fun experience in order to get a taste. While I enjoyed the beer and will go back again, it will be for the fun I had in line more so than for the beer I drank.

4.28/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company