Pliny The Younger | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by xlperro on 01-27-2005

Ratings: 3,085 |  Reviews: 946
4.25/5  rDev -9%

4.5/5  rDev -3.6%

World Class Beer. I wish there wasn't so much hype around this beer because I really hate waiting in line to drink. I'm lucky enough to live really close to some of the best craft beer bars in the San Francisco Bay Area and there's always some place that has a keg once released.

The combination of hops, malt character and finish make this a world class beer. Well done, Vinny.

3.75/5  rDev -19.7%

4.64/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is a beer which, like so many of us beer nerds, I've wanted to try for a long, long time. I am a huge hophead, so this was a nice treat for me. Had this yesterday on tap at Varga bar in Philly for the black tie event. I managed to grab two 6 oz pours so I got a pretty good idea of this beer.

A: Almost clear orange/gold color with ample bubbles rising up to a ring of white head, pretty nice lacing.

S: Not the most pungent smelling triple IPA ever, but what is there is all resiny tropical and pine hops, weed, bitters, a crisp and clean aroma overall.

T/M: Really nice composed flavor, this is supremely balanced for a beer of this ABV. Floral and vegetal hops, tropical fruits abound with pineapple and papaya fruits for me shining through. This is very clearly the next step of elder as it has a nice dry finish, resiny front, and clean mouthfeel and the same sort of hop bill, but just more. Some honey soaked malts and a slight spicy note pervades as well- this accents the hops very well and contributes nicely to the feel overall. The taste lingers very nicely long after tasting it, which is always the mark of a great beer.

Overall, this is a great beer, and it is worth most of the hype. Did it blow me away? No. Is it still awesome? Yes. Would I drive to Philly from DC to and from in one day for it again? No. What I learned from trying this beer, is I need to take my hat off to it in that we wouldn't have beers like Boneyard Notorious, Alpine Expo Hoppiness, HF Ephraim, or even my local DC Brau OTWOA if it wasn't for this beer and it's "Elder" version. This beer seems like it would have blown the doors off the barn if I had it like 4-5 years ago, but now there are many comparable beers which maybe makes it seem less magical than it might have been before. As a saxophone player, it seems to me almost like having to appreciate Lester Young and Charlie Parker so that you can really enjoy Michael Brecker and Chris Potter etc meaning that you have to pay your dues to the ones who innovated first so you can see where the 'newer' things have grown out of. I tip my hat to Russian River and this beer for blazing the trail to the yet even crazier beers we have today.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company