Pliny The Younger | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by xlperro on 01-27-2005

Ratings: 3,076 |  Reviews: 946

4.25/5  rDev -9%

Amazing beer. This year is better than 2012. Also incredible to taste this side by side with Pliny the Elder and seeing how much better it tastes given that Elder is a great beer as well.

Had it on tap at Russian River and at the City Beer Store in SF.

4.82/5  rDev +3.2%

Serving Type: On-tap at Breakwater Brewery poured into a half pint glass.

Appearance: Golden amber in color with a pure white head and great lacing. The head was minimal but this could have been due to the fact that they had pre-poured a number of glasses in order to move the line as quickly as possible. Amazing lacing.

Smell: My first impression was that it was not as aromatic as I was expecting for a "Triple IPA." After really delving into the smell though, I was immediately impressed by the balance between citrus, fruit, and pine backed up by a pale malt scent. Usually, I find that one hop aroma dominates the nose but this beer was beautifully balanced in a way rarely seen.

Taste: As the first sip hit my mouth, it was as if a flavor bomb went off, immediately coating every surface it came into contact with. The balance of the smell transitioned beautifully into the taste as notes of citrus, fruit, pine, and earth (which I did not notice in the aroma). The hops were also in perfect balance with the malt sweetness and it finished with the cleanest, strongest bitter I have ever experienced.

Mouthfeel: Perfectly done. Medium body. Semi-sweet. Nice carbonation. No room for improvement.

Overall: This was just a fantastic experience overall. Although Breakwater Brewery was packed for a Thursday afternoon, there was no five hour wait. I only arrived an hour early and was able to scope out a spot to get one of the first pours. The beer was amazing and I hope to be lucky enough to enjoy it again next year.

First of all I just wanted to say I am not one of these guys who went to beer college and pretends to know anything about beer. I know what I like and I know that Russian River has a huge hype behind them...But its the real deal. Pliny the Younger has been on my radar for a long time and finally got a chance to get a taste this past weekend at Harrys Hofbrau. It did NOT disappoint. From the second I got the beer in my hand(4oz pour) I swirled it around in my glass for what seemed like 10 minutes smelling the hell out of it. I wanted to stick it up my nose and breathe it in forever...It was refreshing. Its definitely got a huge scent and taste of grape fruit. Super smooth, much more than the Elder but amazing. Well worth the wait in line and wish it wasnt so hard to get...But I see why it is. If this beer isnt on your bucket list revise that list today! Cheers

4.32/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Smells strong but with a light citrus note, overall smells fantastic. Pours very light but golden with a very small hint of orange, relatively small head. Initial taste is dominated by bitterness but rounds out with a small amount of citrus, finishes pretty dry. Doesn't scorch your tongue with bitterness. Virtually no alcohol character which is impressive considering the %age. Overall it's the epitome of a triple IPA, a dominate hop bitterness flavor that is balanced nicely and allows you to drink more without any problem.

4.26/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Tasted on February 16, 2013 (a 45oz. pour at Harry's Hofbrau in Redwood City):

A: A very light amber color and a small head(but it's only a 4 oz. pour).

S: Very hoppy right up front, lots and lots of citrus notes and some pine. A slight malty note in the end.

T: Lot's of hops and citrus notes in the beginning. Very piney half-way through and just the right amount of maltiness in the end.

M: Medium heaviness on the tongue, which switches to heavy after a few seconds. Can taste the hops for a long while after with a little maltiness to it.

O: A pretty damn good beer and nearly lives up to full expectations. Enjoyed the hops and pine thoroughly. Would love to have a full pour in the future.

An in depth review is not necessary. Attending a sometimes hectic tapping of this brew is worth it. Also: I see alot of people having the Elder immediately preceding the Younger. I suggest enjoying something light and easy drinking while waiting for your pour of the Younger. The pallate is able to taste the beer more intensely.

4.59/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I could not drink Pliny the Younger without having the Elder right next to it. The major difference is the bite at the end and the mouthfeel. When you drink Pliny the Elder you get alot of hopps and pine from the front to the back of your mouth and when you drink the Younger you get a crisp strong pine with a hoppy flavor in the back of your mouth. With that being said, I don't think you would notice the difference if you were pounding and had them on separate occasions.

Appearance-Clear golden orange with a thin white head, darker than most IPA's.

Smell-Pinny hoppy scent, far from skunky but will give your nose a little pinch.

Taste-Like the scent the overpowering flavors are pine and hopps. This beer is extremely powerful but the the delicious flavors and crisp make it hard not enjoy.

Mouthfeel-Crisp and smooth the flavors dwell in the back your mouth, no bite at the tip of your tongue.

Overall I feel this is the top IPA followed by Heady Topper and Stones 12.21.12 Enjoy By.it's a heavy hitter when it comes to flavor and is perfectly balanced.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company