Pliny The Younger | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by xlperro on 01-27-2005

Ratings: 3,073 |  Reviews: 946

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

After missing my chance at this brew last year and the year before, I finally committed to making a trip to the source. I waited in line exactly seven hours to get in.

A - A golden, yellow color that looks exactly how a great IPA should.

S - Not quite as aromatic or strong as I imagined it would be, considering how Pliny the Elder really has a powerful aroma. Still, you get a strong sense of piney hops and citrus.

T - I don't think a beer this strong could taste any better or go down any smoother. No surprise that this brew is an absolute hop bomb, so if that's not your thing, I wouldn't....well no, even if you don't like hoppy brews, you should still try this one. By the time I got to my third glass, however, the taste of the alcohol began to get stronger and a bit overpowering, so take your time and enjoy the first few you have.

M - Not so thick that you can't drink them quickly, but not so thin that you can pound them down without savoring them.

As I was drinking, I began to wonder if I could be even critical of any beer that I waited in line seven hours for, as it might be too depressing. But no, this beer is deserving of the hype. If you have a day to kill, get there early and bring a book, you don't want to go your whole life without trying this beer.

4.92/5  rDev +5.4%

First day on tap. Got in line at 8.30 and finally got in a little before noon. The place was absolutely mobbed with people so these notes from my phone are a bit squabbled. Needless to say, expectations are through the roof

Pours a deep dark gold with a half finger of foam. Mild carbonation, low retention, nice sticky lacing. Would have liked to had the foam stick around a bit longer, but given the abv whatevs. The smell was dominated by strong grapefruit and other citrus and floral tones, strong over powering hops, and a mild sweet caramel malt. Taste follows the nose perfectly here, with a big citrus and hop flavor with a good sweet malty finish. Alcohol is completely masked, everything balances quite well. Feel is dry and sticky, not as bitter as I anticipated but went down incredibly easy.

Overall this beer is one of the best I've had. It packs one of the hardest punches an ipa can throw and should have notoriety among triple ipas. That said, it was more or less an amped up version of Pliny the Elder, and hyped up a little higher than it should be. I might check it out again sometime in the next couple years, but not wait ~4 hours for again

4.99/5  rDev +6.9%

After 3000 miles traveled. After 4 hours waiting in line. I finally try The Younger.

A-Pours vibrant and rather clear. Thin, creamy head leaves wavy stains of lacing. I detect the lightest essence of haze in the body. Its color is a divinely illuminated shade of sunset orange. I am shocked by its clarity.

S-The wettest, ripest, juiciest and most concentrated display of hops I have ever experienced. Pine and a fist-full of grass ripped from the lawn. Then there is a cornucopia of topical fruit. Hop perfume, hop nectar, hop extract. I can smell it from a foot away.

T-The intensity and complexity of the flavors is like nothing I have ever experienced. It got better and better as it warmed. At its perfect temperature, the flavors I experienced were stunning. Peach, mango, cantaloupe, tangerine, nectarine, guava and pineapple. A liquefied sweet-dough malt embraces the hops but is absolutely overpowered. The flavors couldn't have been richer.

M-I have never had a beer with such a long aftertaste. I could literally taste it several minutes after a sip. I could taste it an hour after my final sip as well. Incredibly juicy and resinous. Like chewing on a hop. Drinks with far too much ease.

O/D-Worth the countrywide trip. Never have I experienced a beer with such a combination of power and finesse. The Jim Brown of beer. I am quite sure no beer can ever surpass this. Every beer I try after this can only hope to find a place on the same tier as Pliny The Younger...

3.75/5  rDev -19.7%

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev -3.6%

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.98/5  rDev +6.6%

On tap at brewery, February 2012

A: Clear golden. Not much head as the pour was pretty much to top of glass.
S: Lots of tropical fruits and pines
T: Perfect, big hops, fruity, and perfect balance. Does not taste like a triple IPA
M: almost perfect. A little resiny in the mouth, but not nearly as much as one would expect from a 10+% IPA.
O: Still the best IPA I have ever had.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company