Pliny The Younger | Russian River Brewing Company

Ratings: 3,086 |  Reviews: 946

4.5/5  rDev -3.6%

4.25/5  rDev -9%

4.52/5  rDev -3.2%

Really late on posting this. Notes are from February. Had it on tap at Surly Goat, Father's Office, Tony's Darts and Churchill's Pub within a few weeks of each other.

A: Pours a very clear golden-orange. One finger of medium-white head. Head dissipated very quickly, leaving nice lacing behind.

S: Lots of grapefruit and orange. Behind that there is tropical fruit, floral scents and pine. Smells very sweet.

T: The alcohol on this one is hidden really well. Has a well balanced citrus and tropical fruit sweetness with a malty backbone. Very crisp and drinkable. Less hop bitterness than the Elder on this one.

M: Medium-light body with medium carbonation. Has a great stickiness to it, which is probably my favorite part of this beer.

O: This is a very well balanced, refreshing and drinkable beer, especially considering that it comes in at 11%. With that said, I prefer many other DIPAs (yes, I know this is a triple) to this and I don't think it's worth going nuts over.

3.5/5  rDev -25.1%

4.15/5  rDev -11.1%

One of my bf's favorites, i heard so much about this beer and heard also that it was not sold much and that it would not be in stock much longer, so of course i had to have some. I'm not usually into this heavy of a beer, but boy was i shocked to taste it and want more. Yummm! Boys sure do have a set of extra taste buds just for beer! I'm glad my bf is such an advocate otherwise i'd be missing out on a lot!

3.78/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance is clear, light amber in color, with a thin white head that leaves minimal lacing around the glass. Aroma is bursting with grapefruit and hops, with notes of sweet honey, caramel & fruit. Taste is sweet caramel malt upfront, mildly piney in the mid-palate, with a slightly bitter hop finish. Not too hoppy though. Very rich & well balanced. Mouthfeel is light in body, smooth, & again slightly bitter in the finish. Overall, is it the best Imperial IPA in the world? That’s subjective; I see how people could think so. I think it’s pretty damn good, but I tried it in a blind tasting among other DIPA’s, and it certainly wasn’t my favorite. The hype plays a lot into this. Still, extremely glad I got to try this!

4.25/5  rDev -9%