Pliny The Younger | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by xlperro on 01-27-2005

Reviews: 930 | Ratings: 2,973
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. Presented in a wine glass. Appears a rich golden amber-yellow with a finger of fluffy white head. Smells of grapefruit, apricot, pineapple and sweet malt. Tastes of the same fruits evident in the nose, predominantly grapefruit, alcohol. Just about the perfect balance of piney, fruity hops, and rich caramel malt. Finish is very dry. Moderate in both body and carbonation. What a sublime DIPA.

4.45/5  rDev -4.7%

I could smell this baby before I even had a chance to step into the brewpub. Aroma of pine and citrus waft out from the door. The aroma is enticing and I had to smell it for 2 hours while I waited to get in!

Finally got a chance to try this bad-boy, and it is exactly what I expected. It's Elder on steroids, yet just as smooth. Smell is slightly muted in comparison, I believe. Still a nice burst of pine emanating from the glass and into my noseholes. Although the ABV is hard to taste, I can feel it creeping up on me as I finish the glass.

Tastes like a maltier, thicker Elder. It's more balanced, and doesn't have quite the same dry mouthfeel.

Although this is a great beer I feel that I don't need to have it more than once. Then again, I'm not much of a fan of big ABV beers. I'll have a Gaffers bitter instead, thank you.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed at Capone's with IrishColonial on March 3rd. Reviewed from notes.

A. Pours a light golden orange color with some subtle hazing. Quarter finger of crisp white head with some excellent lacing. The most striking thing about Younger is its color: it practically glows in my glass. Beauty fermented.

S. Just a metric crap-ton of tropical fruit flavors, including pineapple, mango, and tangerine. Good dose of pine resin and grassy notes. Orange zest and honey provide a wonderful smoothness to the entire affair. A smooth, sweet, light bouquet. Loads of honey and tropical scents. Top notch.

T. Lots of floral, citrusy, and grassy hops. The initial flavor is sweetness, but not sticky-like. This beer slowly grows and warms to you, with the citrus and floral notes yielding to some bitter and earthy grassy/piney flavors providing a bitter finish. Touch of alcohol on the back-end. The most striking facet of the beer is how smooth yet hoppy it is. The strong caramel malt really balances out the bitterness. Malt, pine resin, and minerality combine with sweet honey and floral presence to create a flavor profile that is quite pleasing.

M. Drinks a little too smooth and light for a Triple IPA. Not a hop-ocalpyse by any means as the bitterness is mellowed near perfectly by the malt.

O. Shockingly smooth for all the hop flavor packed into this. A very well-crafted beer. ABV of 11.0%? Could have fooled me with how smooth this is. It's not the be all end all that the hype-storm would lead you to believe. Would I drive to Philly again to try it? Probably not. But if you haven't had this, will you be disappointed investing a lot of time and/or money into getting a taste? I don't think so. It's a delicious beer and worthy of mention as a top notch IPA.

4.45/5  rDev -4.7%

A - served in a tulip glass, clear just the right head, like fabulous

S - Very hoppy, citrus and floral very inviting

T - First sip was too cold, let beer warm for about 20 minutes and then TADA, tasted hops and orange...great representation of style

M - after it warmed it was incredible, balanced from start to finish, no acidity or aftertaste

D - excellent beer, i am not a hop head, but this beer could convert me. I get why it is so well regarded

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

So today, I got to try super-rare Pliny the Younger at Slater's 50/50 in Anaheim Hills. I'll put this into perspective: I'm a fan of Russian River's beers. Elder, Consecration and Blind Pig are among my all-time favorite beers. Do I think the Younger is worth a three-hour wait? If just for the beer itself? No. However, It was a great opportunity to socialize with other beer-lovers.

Is the Younger a damn good beer? You bet it is. It's rich, citrusy, piney flavor is beautifully balanced by a syrup-thick mouthfeel and malty milkshake-sweetness that's absolutely superb. I'm not debating the quality of the beer here. It's the hype behind it, and the trouble people go to obtaining it. You'd think Younger was made from white truffles and 24k solid gold by how crazy people go over it.

There are so many great beers out there that are underrated, that many people don't know about. You can obtain Trappistes Rochefort 8 from BevMo, and it's an equally good, if not better brew than Younger. If you're ever out in Denver, Colorado, Odessa Brewing Company makes a mean double IPA that hangs with the best of 'em. There are German selections out there that are just tops.

So if you don't make a Younger tasting, you're simply missing out on only one great beer in an endless sea of great beers. It's good, but it's not the "best ever," as some make it out to be. You could sit at home with an easily-had Rochefort or Grapefruit Sculpin, and enjoy yourself without all the stress and chaos. Cheers!

4.44/5  rDev -4.9%

After trying the Elder and blind pig and being massively underwhelmed, I was not expecting much from this beer. What an incredible surprise.
The look is much the same as other DIPA's and there isn't much to differentiate in this department but from there on in it just got better.
Wonderful floral hops are the dominant falvour but they are well balanced with some citrus all coming off the head that actually stuck around.
My first sip revealed a wonderful creamy silk texture that I haven't had from anothr DIPA and the sweetness balanced with the turbo-charged bitter hops that linger and dance on your palate long after the gulp of beer is gone.
This is a real belter of a beer, it tastes fantastic and slips down nicely for something as strong as it is. The only problem for me is that the alcohol is still a little dominant and IPA is not my favourite style of beer so not the best beer in the world for me, but certainly one of the best in its class for sure.

4.44/5  rDev -4.9%

Much thanks to hopdog for this hand filled bottle...don't know if/when I would ever see it on draft around here.
Appears a light gold with a small off-white head that slowly fades out. Scattered spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of bready, biscuits, citrus, rich resinous hoppy pine, and vanilla. Much like The Elder.
Taste is of the same and very delicious with a touch of caramel standing out.
Mouthfeel is slightly sugary and mildly piney, woody, and candy.
Drinkability is decent with some ABV that's noticable.

4.44/5  rDev -4.9%

othing. Seriously, this was a nice treat. Pours gold with a thin white head. Juicy hop and citrus aroma. Flavor was very fresh with the with sticky pine and floral hops dominating and citrus fruits coming up in a close second. Slightly sweeter than expected, but it still has a nice dry bitter finish. This was very nice.

4.44/5  rDev -4.9%

Nice clear golden pour with two fingers of sticky head. The smell is an absolutely blistering assault on the senses. Sinus cleansing levels of hops. Huge floral and pine notes with an underlying orange peel citrus aroma. This takes the bar set by other west coast IPAs and throws it like a javelin through the heart of restraint.

The taste follows suit. Gigantic hop flavor envelops every crevice of my mouth with pine resin and earthy bitterness. There is no attempt at subtlety, nor do I imagine there should be. This beer is designed to showcase the hop, and it does so as though it would be the beer we gave to alien visitors to help them understand the wonders of our planet. But does it separate itself from the rest of the pack? It is certainly a tough task considering the sheer number of beers just like it that come from the West Coast. I'm not really sure it accomplishes that separation.

The body is full/medium and carbonation is at good levels. I was surprised to find that this washed down very clean, I was expecting a much higher level of stickiness.

Drinkability is solid for an 11% beer. Overall this is definitely one of the top 10 DIPA's I've had. A hophead's dream, I'm sure. To me, simply a great beer.

4.44/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Just got back home from the PtY event at Tria this afternoon, was one of the lucky ones who got in before the keg kicked. Review based on my notes.

A- I was expecting red, but this was a nondistinct gold. The head was fairly impressive, a finger of very creamy white that hung out for a long a time, and when it was finally tamed, still left some pretty lacing.

S- Unmistakably hoppy. This was the first hint at the greatness of PtY. It was all citrus from the hops, with a subtle malty balance that kept it from going full on bitter. Impressive.

T- And this is where PtY becomes significant. Just the kind of citrusy, hoppy, well balanced flavor that the smell and the hype made me expect, but there was something else going on here that I had never detected before. Maybe it was umami, the fifth taste, maybe it was the hop concentration taking the flavor to a whole other level, but the middle of this beer's flavor was one of the most unique beer tastes I've ever had. Hard to put the finger on it, but in a blind taste test, I'll never have a problem picking this one out of a lineup. Bangin'.

M- As creamy as it looked, but with a light character, and a really sweet tingle on the tongue. Awesome.

D- There was a one per customer limit in effect (though I cheated with my wife's beer when she was in the bathroom) - wish I could have gone back for a second. Could I drink this all day? I think it would ruin my appreciation of just about every other beer. The rarity is definitely part of the equation here.

So did it live up to the hype? Yes, I think so. It was transcendental as far as beer goes, but it did not necessarily transcend beer. But who can really ask for anything more than that? Maybe I'll have it again next year, but in the meantime, I can't say that Nugget Nectar is much of a drop off.

4.44/5  rDev -4.9%

Sampled at the 9th Annual Double IPA Festival at the Bistro in Hayward.

A - The beer poured a copper color. I had the beer in a festival tasting glass so not much to talk about in terms of head and lacing.

S - Pine, grapefruit, citrus, floral. Everything you'd expect from Vinnie.

T - An explosion of hops, but also surprisingly malty. For such a big beer, it's not at all hot.

M - Fairly viscous, but incredibly balanced for such an aggressive beer.

D - I could have pint after pint but I'd be drunk as a skunk before I knew it.

I'm glad I got to try it. I'd like to drink it again, although I'm not going to go to great lengths to get it. Inevitably, this one is going to be compared to the Elder, and I have to side with the old guy.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: Standard pint from tap

Appearance: Golden yellow in color, minus points for looking strangely like urine

Smell: Nothing overpowering with a light hop and medium malt smell.

Taste: A balanced malt flavor straight from the start quickly blends with a balanced hop charactor and a alcohol flavor. Finishes at first with a strong alcohol flavor that is mildly covered with the hops. The alcohol flavor quickly vanishes as the glass empties, because it starts to get you tipsy.

Overall: An excellent offering, but I didn't buy into the hype. I like the elder much more. I think with a little more time the alcohol would have aged into a more balanced beer. I finish still in search of a beer I would put in my all time top 10.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. pour, at Hollingshead Delicatessen,

A: Poured into a Chimay chalice, Pliny the Younger pours a vibrant, sparkling orange, with a creamy, billowy almost white head. Good retention with solid lace.

S: Very hoppy, with lots of pine and fragrant grapefruit. Smells like a freshly cut Christmas tree.

T: Magnificent, incredibly hoppy and complex. Hop city, if you want to know what American hops are all about, then drink this beer. Lots of pine, grapefruit, and a fair amount of tropical fruit like papaya and pineapple abound in its great taste, with a good amount of complex, solventy alcohol.

M: Robust, resiny, warming, fruity, and complex.

D: Another great beer from Russian River, I prefer the Elder to this one, but this is a great beer in its own right, everyone who can find this elusive beer should try it. Too drinkable for it's weight, a pint will get you buzzed and only make you want more.

Edit 2/15/10 - Having this beer on-tap, fresh at Hollingshead's at 10:10 am when your taste buds are at their best, I think I really know where I am at with this effort. Upped the taste and drinkablity a bit, lowered the appearance, 4.6 tells you really what I think. This is the new #1. This is truly world class. In the end though I can get a similar experience from PtE and I don't have to fight crowds and lines. The hype machine has truly taken this beer to another level. It's so good, I think I will venture to Beachwood on the 23rd, but in the end, I don't know how pumped I'll be about seeking this beer out in 2011. Pretty much check it out at Beachwood since it's close. But the easy days of PtY are over.

Edit 2/25/11 - Having this year's version, it wasn't anywhere close to last year's, just a solid beer. Dropping the score down since sometimes it's insane, other times just a "good" DIPA.

4.44/5  rDev -4.9%

So Pliny The Younger... is it worth the hype? Maybe. Do I like Pliny The Elder better? Absolutely.

So why? Even though the Younger is triple hopped, the flavors and character of the Elder come through much more loud and clear. Pliny The Younger is a remarkable beer for its smoothness and crisp finish, but it lacks the unique Something that The Elder has in spades.

Does The Younger deserve the 100 rating from Beer Advocate? A reserved YES. The Younger is by far one of the best beers I have ever drank, but the score of 100 needs to be measured against The Elder which is far and away the better brew IMHO.

How do I justify the rating? If not for the high alcohol content, this would be my perfect sessionable beer bar none. No lingering taste, no overwhelming breath, ample flavor and a delightful feel from lip to throat - The Younger is truly a World Class Beer as far as I am concerned.

4.43/5  rDev -5.1%

The reason it took a bit of a wait to get into the brew pub on a Monday night. Not a big fan of the style but had to see what all the fuss is about.

A-Lively carbonation with a ring of white foam. A little bit of haze in this orange/golden colored hop bomb.

S-Tons of hops, apricot and bittering pummel the olfactory faculties.

T-Lots of hop but also lots of pale malt and a touch of honey. Obviously hop forward but surprising not overpoweringly so.

M-Full bodied, more so than Hopslam as a comparison. This one hangs on but not overly bitter. Alcohol is beautifully covered up.

D-Not meant for the long run. Goes really well with the spicy cheddar and jalapeno beer bites at RR.

O-A really solid beer. I guess I can understand why people wait in line for a few hours for a taste. Lots of everything in this beer-hops obviously are the star of the show, but full bodied with plenty of malty goodness. I prefer this one to the elder, has more malt and sweetness to better balance the hops and doesn't leave you feeling like you just sucked on a pine tree.

4.43/5  rDev -5.1%

enjoyed at the mecca, RRB. reviewed from notes taken on 2.9.12. poured into a half-pint glass. thanks to all the bar staff for a great experience!

A - perfectly clear golden color with a very thin white head that was really more of a ring; it did leave some lacing as a i milked it

S - soft tropical(pineapple, honeysuckle) turns fresh cut pine tree

T - follows nose - pineapple, peach, grapefruit yields to a strong pine resin; long dry, bitter finish

M - medium body; light, active carbonation gives some crispness; the hop resin leaves a strong but pleasant bitter coat in your mouth that is a complete palette jackhammer

O - as i sipped this i had mixed emotions. on one hand i was not blown away. admittedly this is not my favorite style. i thought it was just a little too much(in all ways). on the other hand i think it was a perfect execution of what they wanted when they wrote the recipe and i don't see any flaws. if you like the over-the-top hoppy bitterness then this could be the holy grail for you. i feel lucky to have gotten to try it. hopefully i will have another chance again one day.

4.43/5  rDev -5.1%

I am lucky enough to work at a place called Hopmonk Tavern in Sonoma, CA. The owner Dean Biersch bought the last keg of Pliny the Younger for the year about 2 weeks ago. Two days ago, Tuesday March 8th we tapped the last keg of the Younger in the county. Guess who had to work all night? By the time I got off 7 hours later, there was so little left in the keg that it weighed as much as the empties. Nonetheless, I got a full 12 oz glass with Kary, our head chef.

Appearance- Light golden pour, slowly gathering into a frothy, almost meringue-like pillow top mattress of foam. Excellent retention.

Smell- Akin to the Elder, but with much bolder fruity citrus note.

Taste- Almost immediately after the initial shock of alcohol (11%)/maltiness, the HOPocalypse begins, crisp grapefruit and sweet piney flavors combine with a near bread-like finish that.. really shouldn't be called a finish it lingers so long on your palate.

Drinkability- At 11%, two 12oz. glasses is enough for almost anyone. Not to mention there are only a small percentage of beer drinkers who can appreciate a beer like this. The majority of folks simply think it tastes "too bitter"... BAH.. don't waste it on those people!

4.43/5  rDev -5.1%

Live tasting, on tap @ Barley and Hops Olde Worlde Family Tavern... 10oz. Pour into a mini pint glass..

Appearance; pours a gorgeous, crisp clear golden color, head non-existent but that could be due to the line and be fact that they are preparing the beers in advance... The gold color of this beer is perfect, as if Younger knows it's the #1 beer in the world...

Smell; grapefruit, orange rinds, citrus in general... Not as heavy on the tropical fruit as Pliny the Elder..

Taste; exceptionally smooth, launches right into grapefruit and citrus rinds.. Quite bitter on the finish, moreso than Elder, but certainly not comically so... Good resins and a nice bitter finish. Hides 11% exceptionally well... Smooth and no hints of alcohol or alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel; this is where younger exceeds... Perfect amount of carbonation, but you can definitely sink your teeth into this one... On the lighter side of full bodied... Bitterness plays into the finish beautifully...

Overall; a great beer, and certainly one that I am glad to have experienced, although I don't know that it was worth $1/ounce and a 45 minute wait... I can easily get Pliny the Elder and I feel like Elder is every bit as solid of a beer, and given the price and accessibility is even more enjoyable although I certainly had a great ... I feel like Younger is a great beer, but I am certainly spoiled by the availability of Elder in my area... The experience is awesome, definitely glad i tried it, had some amazing times with friends in line however I don't know I'd endure the madness to try this again...

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got to try this after all these years last weekend at Toronado. It's absolutely a great beer, but I was sure there was no way it was going to live up to the hype and I was right. It smells incredible, but I honestly thought the flavor was a little on the boozy side, and after two 7 oz glasses, I felt like I'd had enough. So glad to have tried it though, life goal fulfilled!

2009 vintage.

Pours a golden orange with red hues and a small off-white head.

The aroma is a bit shy at first, but looses up after a while. fruity exotic hop notes of grapefruit, peaches and mango. Then, a more peppery and piny hop character with hints of tobacco takes over. Quite a lot of caramel malts is present, as well is a hint of alcohol.

The flavor is big and intense. A wide range of flavors are present: sweet and sticky caramel malts at the base, and lots of layers of fresh hops. Exotic fruits, pine-needles, grass and resins. The finish is spectacular with a quick flare of warming alcohol, lots of bittering hops and hints of grass and peaches.

Full-bodied and sticky with a semi-dry finish.

This is a great beer. Better than Elder? Hard to decide, but the accentuated sweetness in this one sure makes them different.

4.42/5  rDev -5.4%

Clear faded orange liquid with quickly rising bubbles. A frothy bright white head rises up thickly and settles down to a firm half inch cap.

Bright and inviting aroma of tangerine and honeydew melon, some honey and cinnamon.

Full and rich flavor of resinous toffee sugar and some oily and sticky citrus hops. Less sweet than in the nose, more orange flavored with some grapefruit rind in the finish. A piney warmth lingers and warms the mouth. That 11% octane is well hidden beneath the flavors.

Good mouthfeel and carbonation despite the ABV. Pretty full and satisfying.

Very drinkable for such a big beer. Many thanks to RedwoodGeorge for this fine selection.

4.42/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured at Monk's Mad Monday event.

A - Golden pour with a clear look. Foam head settled fast (*these were poured rapidly for 100+ people). Slight lacing rides down the glass.

S - Strong scents of pine, some pineapple & mango tropical fruit smell, and hop resin that gives some lingering tobacco notes.

T - Rich flavors of tropical fruit at the front. There is an intense malt presence that keeps the high IBU's tempered. It is not a hop bomb at all.

M - This cannot be any better. Balance on a triple IPA can only be matches, not improved. The body of Younger feels rich on the palate.

O - Now that this is ticked on the bucket list, I can say that PtY is a work of brewing art. Vinny made an inspirational beer that seems less impressive as more heavily hopped & well balanced beers are made. This is the original, and still iconic beer.

4.42/5  rDev -5.4%

On tap at Union Jacks in Glenside. Served in a 10oz serving.

A- Pliny The Younger came to me with a bright orange with some gold hints here and there. Holding this glass in my hand the color seemed to bounce on to my skin with the same bright color. Not much in terms of head just some white streaks scattered.

S- A nice mountain of hops that are quite subdued surprisingly. Cirtus scents left and right. A lot of grapefruit and some pine in there as well. Just so much juicy hops that I don't know what else to say. Tropical scents abound. My friend oglmcdgl said it reminded him of a powdered lemon jelly donut.

T- It's been about two years since I had this last and it's still the bomb. The hops work their magic giving off the tropic and floral qualities that they are known to do grapefruit being most dominate. A bit of piney essence as well. Some sticky sweetness presents itself as well. This is kick ass stuff!!

M- A bit thicker than the elder as the younger is pretty much medium bodied. Bittering hops on the tounge but not too much. For 11% alc it is hidden remarkably well with some sweetness coming from the some ingredient. The taste of this hangs around for a bit after drinking.

D- Dangerously drinkable, but at 11% dangerous in it's own right. Younger is limited so i'm glad I tried 20oz or so and will be looking for it again in the next month. After a month, my guess is that younger won't be around for another year or more, so in the meantime i'm enjoying living in SEPA.

4.42/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Scored 8oz pour on tap at Crow Bar 2014 release.

A: Looks like an IPA - pours a tight 1 finger white head with beautifully golden color and crisp clarity.

S: I have no sense of smell - wife thoughts - very piney and tad citrus. Pine stood proud.

T: Big clean pine and citrus hops flavors & more resin than most IPAs. Tasted like an evergreen forest grew in my mouth with a few tropical fruit trees sneaking into the sunlit areas. Alcohol apparent but well balanced with hops. Impressed with how unique it tasted - something different than other big IPAs. As great as it was, did not feel I wanted more than (1) glass. Someone poured a Heady Topper and we preferred PtY. The clean taste and clarity felt like a fountain of youth.

O: Worth the hype at least once. Everyone knows this is an epic beer and I am only posting this to feel cool about actually getting the opportunity.

4.42/5  rDev -5.4%

Had 2 at Craft Ale House.

Poured into 4-5 oz glasses. Nice clarity and lacing.

Aromas were all citrus featuring sweet mango and pineapple as it warmed a bit.

Flavors were quite sharp. Bee sting of sweet grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and kiss of honey. Tasty burps.

Mouthfeel was quite dry. Just enough carbonation, but relatively thin given the ABV.

3rd attempt at being blown away over the last 2 yrs, before I finally reviewed it for what it is. A very nice DIPA.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company