Pliny The Younger | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by xlperro on 01-27-2005

#8

Ratings: 3,094 |  Reviews: 946

I've had Younger on RRBC in 2014 and 2015. Both years have been great. The malt profile of RRBC is unique in comparison to other IPA's. Younger only builds on what Pliny is. Drinkability is great. Very hard to tell that you're drinking 10-11% abv beer. I've had the best IPA's in the world and this is still my favorite with Heady being a close second. Look forward to the 2016 batch.

I had some at the brewery and liked it so much that I tracked it down at a couple places in San Diego (Hamilton's Tavern, SD TapRoom).

A - Rich orange-gold with minimal head.

S - Strong pine but citrus comes through as well.

T - It's an elevated version of PtE. There is a stronger citrus flavor that is able to hide the higher alcohol content. The overall balance is incredible.

M - Amazing smoothness that makes it so easy to drink.

O - This is my favorite beer so I am biased when I say that this is deserving of the hype. I probably wasted way too much time tracking this in February/March, but I imagine I will be doing the same thing next year.

While in Santa Rosa I visited the brewpub and filled my Growler, brought it home and poured a small glass. I have waited a long time for this to be available and it was worth the wait. Without a doub this is the best over the top DIPA I have ever partaken, and this is my favorite beer type. Poured a hazy gold tending toward orange with a soap suds head that left big chucks of lacing. Huge citrus hops nose, and a rich mouthfeel that feels like port wine on the palate. Flavors are citrus hops and the finish is long and bitter, but enjoyably so. I was prepared to be disappointed after the long wait, but this is the best brew ever for me. So sad I only have a growler. I really love this beer. I was going to save a 5.0 for the very best. This is it!

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company