Pliny The Younger | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by xlperro on 01-27-2005

Reviews: 927 | Ratings: 2,965
4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

This is unbelievable. Perfectly crafted double IPA. Just as you think they can't make Pliny better, the Younger proves to be more refined than the Elder. Imagine all positive of the Elder and none of its negative.

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

2016 version on tap at O'Briens San Diego.
Poured into a 10oz glass.
The absolute freshest IPA I have ever had. The hop complexity is outstanding. Perfect carbonation. The smell is of fresh citrus fruit. The look is golden yellow with a nice head. You do not realize that you are drinking a 11% beer. The best IPA I have ever had.

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

Long live the "Younger". This double IPA is as smooth as good as it gets. The hops give this beer a refreshing taste. I didnt think the Elder could be duplicated, but this beer is a refined elder. The bitterness is perfect in this beer. Unfortunately unless you live by the brewery its pretty hard to get more than a pint or two in February. This beer should be tasted by all.

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

The annual arrival of what many hopheads consider to be the pinnacle of IPA perfection has become more than a mere release, it's an event. Running dry within the first day of tapping the kegs last year taught the good folks at Russian River a few things. This year they switched things up, releasing a limited amount of kegs per day, and not filling growlers for anyone. As they announced on their website: The only way to get it to go is in your tummy! Works for me.

In the dead middle of the week, an hour-and-a-half before quitting time, the brewery was full but not insane. The uninitiate who might have wandered in off the street still might wonder what was going on. Is there a major sporting event I forgot about? The most cursory look around the brewery would shut that line of thinking down pretty quickly though; the only televisions--of which there are two, each no bigger than a desktop monitor--are hung high and out of the way. This is no sports bar; this is a temple of beer.

The young, hipster staff seemed to get a perverse kick out of asking the humble supplicant, once seated, what he wanted to drink. It couldn't be that easy, could it? All I have to say is, "Pliny the Younger," and they'll bring it in a perfectly chilled 10 oz glass? Visions of the Seinfeld Soup Nazi flashed through my parched, hop-starved brain. "No Younger for you!" the server shouted in my imagination. "One year!" Luckily, it was only my paranoia working overtime, and soon the beer was down the pike.

The big board behind the bar lists the Younger at a healthy 10.25% ABV and under Bittering Units it only reads, "Gobs." The brew doesn't disappoint. It pours light orange with just a scrim of head and no lacing. The nose this little bomb throws, however, is heavenly: orange peel, the requisite pine forest, and a more than a hint of killer green bud.

The truly amazing thing about this Triple IPA, is how balanced it is. To me, Pliny the Elder, Russian River's Double IPA, is more aggressively hop forward--not to say the Younger isn't crazy hoppy (as the website reads: Younger is hopped three times more than our standard IPA, and is dry hopped four different times), its just that its sweet malt backbone carries a lot of weight.

As the sun falls behind the storefronts on 4th St. and working folks are released on their own recognizance for another day, a line begins to form outside on the sidewalk. Soon a bouncer takes position at the back door so that no one bum rushes the bar, and after a few of the most perfectly balanced beers I've ever had, it's time for me to head on and give someone else a chance.

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

Served in a tulip glass.

A: Golden orange with little head.

S: citrusy (grapefruit), piney and sweet. Each aroma balanced very nicely.

T: At first, there is the sweetness with a slow conversion, like a gentle walk, to the hops bitterness.

M: so very smooth. The finish is a bit dry and sticky. No harshness like with some 11% abv.

O: An incredible DIPA. PTY earned every bit of its lofty reputation and status.

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

First beer review, I'd say I'm starting it off right. A thousand thank you's to Hayes for sharing his growler, it was overnighted to him so still very fresh!

The beer poured a deep gold with an off white head. Fairly transparent, not really what I was expecting for a beer with such an awesome rep - I wouldn't have guessed it was such an amazing beer just to look at it. However, this was the only aspect of the beer that didn't live up to or exceed my expectations.

This beer smells awesome, it is right up there with the best smelling beers I've come across. Awesome taste, wow. There's a wonderful balance of fruity citrus and hops. Tons and tons of hops, but enough other flavors to lend it a nice balance and not make it bitter. This is definitely one of the best tasting beers I've had, maybe the best.

The mouthfeel was probably the aspect that exceeded my expectations the most. Really thick, not at all like many IPAs I've had - more like a good stout really. This is what sets the younger apart from my other favorite IPAs for me. Very easy to drink too, almost no bite from the alcohol and like I mentioned before it wasn't unpleasantly bitter. I could drink this all night

Like I said, I'm infinitely thankful for being given the chance to try this beer, but I would love to have had more of it. Visiting the brewery to have it on tap is now on my bucket list, fantastic beer overall I hope you all get the chance to try it!

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

Had this in 2013. Waited in line for almost four hours and it was well worth the wait. The taste was as good or better than any beer I'd had up to then. Since then I've had beers I like more but it is certainly world class.

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

Finally had my first pour of this delicious beer at the Vine Street Pub in Denver back on March 1. It took all of 11 minutes to blow through the 1/6 barrel and the staff there handled it very well - they were awesome.

APPEARANCE: Light, pale and yellow. Slightly lighter than both Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder. The head was perfectly proportioned and very thick and creamy looking, almost like a Boddington's. The lacing was minimal.

SMELL: Grapefruit is the first and most noticeable aroma, but the Younger is very nicely rounded out with some pine, floral notes and a bit of tropical fruit lingering behind it all. The aroma is also strong and according to my notes, perfect.

TASTE: This beer is on the sweet side up front and gently moves towards the bitter end throughout the sip. At no point, however, is this beer overstated in either direction and despite the change in balance, both bitterness and sweetness remain intact for the whole sip. Grapefruit, pine, passion fruit, tropical fruit, everything good about an IPA is packed into this beer.

MOUTHFEEL: Pliny the Younger starts out slightly creamy, but slowly bubbles up to a nice, solid tickly sparkle. It is neither too sweet nor too dry. The finish is a little bitter, but very clean.

OVERALL: This beer lived up to the hype for me. Somehow it is everything a beer should be all at the same time even when it contradicts itself. There is not much to say other than this beer cannot be improved in any category with the minor exception of the appearance; I would have liked to have seen some more lacing and a darker color. When I had the good fortune to come across a second pour at Cheeky Monk, I tasted the Elder next to it and the word that came to mind to describe how Younger is different was "brighter". Pliny the Younger is just a brighter, more alive and even happier beer than the Elder. This was one of the best beers I have ever tasted.

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Beautiful golden amber color. Clarity is spot on. Nice action from the carbonation in a thin stream. Can't comment on the head unfortunately because of the near full pour (thanks!) but there's ton of sticky lacing.

S: Tons of inviting citrus is jumping out of the glass. Malt is present, more so than PtE. Lots of caramel and fairly dank.

T: Huge, bright citrus. It's so floral it's amazing. It practically perfectly rolls into the rich caramel malts. Lots of sweetness from the malts turns into a really even bitterness. As balanced as PtE is, this beer is bigger in every way... but still perfectly balanced.

M: Great carbonation that is needed for this huge hop/malt bomb. Very slick and astringent.

O: Another amazing beer from RR that took a very careful artists touch. When you're dealing with this much hops and malts you can swing in either direction so easily. Albeit I'm not going to compare it with PtE because they're different beasts. This is much more of a sipper. It's hands down the best 9-11% DIPA I've ever had. It's decadent in a way I've only described Russian Imperial Stouts before. Well worth the praise it receives but maybe not the 4 hour wait it took to be served on the release day!

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

A growler filled at the Union Jack's Inn On The Manatawny. Thanks to Phatz for sharing it.
A- Light amber with ample white head

S - Extremely Hoppy aroma -floral, citrus and heaps of pine abound

T - Kicks and envelopes taste buds with hop acidity, malt sweetness creeps in at the finish

M - Full round and substantial with sharp hop edges

D - Less than average drinkability due to over the top hops, alcoholic strength, but a delightful taste nonetheless

Edit -prior ratings A 4, S 4.5, T-4, M 4.5, D-4 from Growler

I went to the release this year and had it on tap -2014 I want to update since I was so impressed with the difference having it fresh from the source.

Start with appearance- the color is spot on with light haze and lasting head with fine bead. Smelling this- The smell is phenomenal, I don't think I have smelled hops as fragrant or clean with tropical fruit citrus and sweet floral odors in an Imperial IPA before -just incredible and wonderful in every way. The feel is equally great -practically no alcohol and lots hop resins with mild sweetness and semi high carbonation with moderate bitterness and semi-dry finish.

The flavor is great just embodies everything good about an Imperial IPA, Hops are the star but nice amount of malt body to support and the smooth flavor is seemless without much alcohol taste at all and I had this on an empty stomach/clean palate. Overall extremely drinkable for 10%+ and worth the time it took to try it on tap at the brewpub which I was skeptical of but recommend having this fresh to appreciate the true glory that is Pliny the Younger.

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

On tap at falling rock taphouse.

Appearance is a clear golden orange with good carbonation but surprisingly very little head. No sign of what's to come.

Smell is wonderful! Hops, with lots of hops and more hops. Scents ranging from tropical fruit to huge pine aromas some grassy hops.

Taste just keeps getting better. At first it opens with a fairly soft balanced sweet maltiness. As the glass warms however the hops emerge and the flavor gains miles of depth. Sweet malts play with the tropical fruit and resinous piney hops to create a wonderfully balanced composition. No trace of alcohol.

Mouthfeel at first fairly thin but after a few drinks i noticed that the mouthfeel changed and thickened. After about half of the glass I ran my tounge across my teeth and inside my mouth and found that the inside of my mouth was coated with resinous oils from hops.

Overall, aside from the head (which i suspect is the bar trying to prevent any waste by overflow) this is a perfect beer. Easily the best I've ever had. Well worth the travel and expense.

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

No beer is perfect...except perhaps this one. I sat down to my first glass yesterday at the brewery in Santa Rosa and was prepared to be underwhelmed. I mean the hype alone, it just couldn’t be that good. Well, it’s that good. I am a sour/wild ale kinda guy but the grace and structure of this highly crafted brew seduced me to the hop side. After the first glass and a slice of pizza I was really enjoying life...I mean at a whopping 10% ABV, whoa! 2 glass limit for me. Is it my new favorite? No. But I will never forget it and will make it a point to stand in line again next year to get a couple glasses of perfection in a glass.

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

Pliny the Younger made the journey across the country in a 22 oz. bomber, bottled from a 5 liter keg using a counterpressure filler by BA RedwoodGeorge. While the bottling was unofficial, the beer coming out of bomber was in a very good shape. The head was one finger thick, which is a little small for the style, but it did stay put for a good little while. The underlying body was clear pale orange, and well carbonated. The looks were classic DIPA, while aroma took the style up a few notches. The smell was enticingly grapefruity, and peppery, with a very sweet smelling malt backbone. The juiciness of the smell was certainly mouth watering, and the taste did not disappoint. Quite citric and pungent, the hop laden flavor was cut by a lot of malt sweetness. The low perceived bitterness and well hidden alcohol made for an easy to drink brew. The mouthfeel was sticky, minerally, and thick, with a peppercorn zest in the aftertaste. With so much to enjoy in each sip, there was nothing to complain about the time that I had draining my imperial pint. The alcohol only became evident as the beer came near room temperature, but never did it feel like an obtrusive spoilsport. This drank much easier than the 10.5% strength it possessed would have suggested. A craft brewing masterpiece that deserves all the hype it gets. This beer was big, but still in a very delicate state of balance. Muscular, clean, and beautiful, there was none of the sloppy flab in here found in so many big beers. A Charlize Theron among beers.

4.95/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to Sparky27 for the tip on this. Tried at Hollingshead Deli along side it’s older brother. Let’s just say that it’s good to be young!!! This rating would be insignificant but it is my 50th rating in the top 100!!! What a beer to mark being half-way there!!! Bright orange peel, lemon zest, and floral aroma with hints on evergreen. Huge 2-inch tight white foam with an amazing blaze orange body. Lacing clinging mightily to the inside of the glass, a fond memory of the sip that just transpired. Flavor is incredible...definitely more aggressive and profound than it’s older sibling. Orchard fresh nectarine, Ponderosa pine, and a bit of grapefruit rind tartness in the finish. Coating yet not cloying mouthfeel. AN INCREDIBLE SPECIMEN!!!

4.95/5  rDev +6%

By the time we got to the bar to ask for growlers. They told us it was gonna be a while but here's a couple glasses to enjoy while you wait.

Appearance is dark copper with a nice head that recedes....but with the huge volume of people there I don't think they were worrying about perfect pours.

The smell was off the charts...this beer stinks of deliciousness.... You get your piney/citrusy hops, caramel for a second, more malty goodness, alcohol... a smack in the face vision....

When it enters your mouth you know you're on to some good stuff. The hops and malt blend together in a perfect cacophony of deliciousness. Up front hitting hard with the pine and citrus and then blending together with the malt and a bit of alcohol warmth.

Had the correct amount of carbonation, a nice resiny feel to it as it lingers for a good while, sticky, verrah niiice.

The beer is beyond drinkable, but at some point you'll pass out. So that should be considered your limit ha ha.

4.95/5  rDev +6%

so, after a couple of years of wanting to try this I get a growler courtesy of a gracious CA BA. Intense yet not brackish bitter piney resinous hop heaven! Smooth, so easy to drink. Wow. This one lives up to the hype. I don't know how they pack all that hop into one beer but it's well worth it. Funny note from day 2 on the growler. I popped the top and was greeted by the most insane rush of pine. It was mind boggling.

4.95/5  rDev +6%

From a keg almost seven weeks following the release, poured into a snifter glass.

A: Beautiful golden orange color, very clear. Great string of bubbles swirling up from the center of the glass. Nice white head that lingers nicely on the edge of the glass.

S: Ahhhh. I think this is easily PtE and PtY's strongest characteristic. Huge piney, resiny, sticky hops. I'm very partial to that hop smell, so more is always better and PtY delivers. I would have been happy to stop at the smell (okay, not really).

T: Yes, the hops continue into the taste. Incredibly balanced. For a 10%+ beer that is considered a triple, it does not carry any of the overly sticky, sweet tastes that some big DIPA/TIPAs have (umm, DFH120, for example). The flavor of the hops (more green, pine, resin flavors) continue through the taste without being overly bitter. The taste lingers for a long time (minutes), but seems less bitter than some local IPAs. Just a touch of warming from the alcohol, but man this goes down easy. I don't really notice many typical malty flavors as I'm enjoying the hops too much!

M: Medium carbonation, medium to big body, but not unexpected or out of style. Felt very smooth in the mouth with very little oilyness. It was there, but come on, it's a triple IPA.

D: Excellent. Actually above expectations. This was tasted next to PtE and it's the first time that I felt PtE did not shine. PtE seems harsh and out of balance in comparison. Stuck on a desert island, PtE would likely be a better choice as it's hard to imagine drinking too many PtY's. But I certainly wish this beer was available a little more frequently. It deserves the hype, even seven weeks after release.

4.95/5  rDev +6%

On tap at Belmont Station on 3.19.11 with hopburster.

10oz pour, followed by Elder and Bling Pig.

A - Beautiful bright light orange, crystal clear with a nice white fluffy head.

S - Pine, pine, pine, and then some citrus notes.

T - Smoth piney hops followed by silky citrus flavors.

D - Nicely carbonated, with no bitterness at all, zero.

O - I was afraid that the hype would let me down, but this is one of the best beers I will ever taste. I can not wait to try it again.

Seperately it would have been hard to tell the difference between Elder and Younger, but following the Younger I could detect some slight differences. I would never turn down either, ever!

Served out of a fine wine glass 2x

Had this on tap at Higgins as well. Never had it before, but wanted to try it in its freshest form possible (in Oregon) and Higgins was the first to tap it. I have had PtE from kegs, as well as fresh bottles, and the fresh version is almost a different beer to me. My friend had PtY from a keg that was stored for a few months and said the fresh version was infinitely better as well...thus my desire to try it as soon as it hit town.

First off, I was fully prepared to be disappointed. Not that I thought it wouldnt be good (of course it would be!), but that it wouldnt measure up to the hype. Even with that in mind, this is the best beer I have ever had. The smell alone was amazing. Citrusy, grapefruit, a little funk, and almost tropical. Only fresh PtE compares in initial smell.

First taste did its aroma justice. Hard to believe this is an IPA. Little-to-no bitterness, a touch of citrusy sweetness but not the kind of sweetness that can come with other high alcohol beer. Finishes sooo clean and leaves no hint of alcohol on the tongue. The hop resin and pine aroma comes through but blends in perfectly. I could have drank 10 of these.

The appearance was golden with a head of about 1/4 inch that held on through the first couple sips.

Overall I was very impressed and thoroughly enjoyed this beer. The great part was that there was no line, no commotion, and no BS auction system. Just a moderately full bar of people enjoying a truly great beer. My friend that was with me mentioned how much better this fresh version was compared to some he had a a festival that had been sitting in a keg for 3 months. I would reccomend that if you plan on trying this beer that you get it as soon as it comes out.

4.95/5  rDev +6%

One must plan ahead to enjoy this highly craved nectar of the gods. Fresh on tap in the proper stemmed glass is the only way

Best be at that tap early because it wont last long

Last had it at Pi Bar during 2013
(previously 2011) SF beer week. Have enjoyed prior vintages at Toronado
('10, '08, 06) and the brewery in SR ('07).

Clear golden color.
Ambrosia for a hop head...slightly sweet, intense floral hop experience. Different vintages have slight nuances

I've not found anyone who didn't go gaga over it.

4.95/5  rDev +6%

Sampled from a growler in my Double Mountain tulip pint glass.

A - RR has a pretty outstanding growler. I really thought a genie was going to come out. The beer itself is golden and quite clear with a thick white head and nice lacing.

S - Wonderful floral and citrusy hops. It was everything I expected from RR.

T - Loads of hop presence. It starts with a strong attack of hops oils and rich hop flavor but a citrusy bitterness increases over time. The alcohol is always lurking in the background but the hops keep it at bay (until the next morning). I had high expectations for this one and it certainly lived up to them.

M - Good consistency with an almost oily quality that makes it slide right down. Nice carbonation with a moderate level of very fine bubbles.

D - A powerful and compelling beer. I found it comparable to Hop Slam yet very unique. And all of this from a growler shipped across the country. I can only imagine how good it is straight out of the tap.

4.95/5  rDev +6%

Decided to fight the crowds & try me some Younger on tap at Local 44. $8 for a tulip glass. Nice white head delivered upon the pour. Crystal clear gold color. Amazing considering how much hops go into it. Smells of dank hop resin. Attractive lemon rind & notes of melon, mango, orange zest, and some vanilla. Tastes amazing. All the hop characters in the nose in the flavor. Nice firm bitterness. Not pungent or astringent. Dangerously drinkable. Alcohol doesn't seem noticeable except I can tell it's there since I haven't eaten lunch yet. (This is my lunch.). Dry tasting. I love this beer. So glad I decided to come out for it. Only reason I didn't score this a perfect score is due to the extremely limited availability.

This one lives up to its hype. Fantastic beer by Vinnie. He's my hero.

4.95/5  rDev +6%

Had this on tap at a special release RR taste at falling rock. What do i need to say, THis is possibly the best us beer around. take reg pliny and give it a boost of awesome and that is PTY. I had to knock a half point just cuz i cant give a perfect rating. nobodys perfect but this dam close. also leaded at 11% it will get you tanked fast before you know it. BEWARE!

4.95/5  rDev +6%

I enjoyed this fine brew on tap at the Blind Lady Ale House in Normal Heights at the 5 o'clock release. Taped out in an hour and I was lucky enough to have 2. One in a 10 oz (.25 L) flute and the other in a 10 oz snifter. The first was paired with .4L of Elder.

Magnificent aroma and was so incredible it put PTE to shame.

Aroma was extremely citrusy and reeked (in a good way) of simco.

The mouth was very sweet and delicious. A mouthful of pine trees.

It was worth the wait and can't wait for next year.

4.95/5  rDev +6%

On tap at Devil's Den in Philadelphia. My first visit there and certainly not my last.

A-- Pours a bit hazy deep to mild orange depending on how the lighting is. Nice creamy head that lingers for a while. Great sticky lacing.

S-- smells of pineapple, grapefruit, pinecones and all the resiny goodness you would expect from a high alcohol DIPA. Malts peek there head out to say hello then disappear until the beers has a chnace to warm a bit.

T-- mmm...hops...first sip gives me a great taste of grapefruit that almost compares with hopslam's grapefruit character but not quite. The hops also have a pine and pineapple flavors in this bad boy. alcohol adds some fruity esters which is very nice. malts once again come in to help out in keeping this beer drinkable..a bit bready from malts...very very delicious...

M-- smooth and a little sticky...goes down really easy...

D-- had 3 of these with now problem at i believe was a 11 oz pour...could easily of had a few more without passing out or anything close...great beer...just dont chug it...i will kick you if you chug this beer...

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company