Pliny The Younger | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by xlperro on 01-27-2005

Ratings: 3,086 |  Reviews: 946

4.5/5  rDev -3.6%

On tap at Naja's! I was excited.

A: Very orange, no shades or red or yellow, this was pure orange. Served into a Chimay goblet, not much head but plenty of lacing.

S: Strong grapefruit hops, but lots of estery malt, peach and citrus.

T: Massive citrus hops dominate the flavor, but again there's that huge malt component. Plenty of sweetness here but the balance still favors the hops.

MF: Rich and smooth. Enough carbonation to give it a bit of bite, but not overly abrasive. The hops have a bit of an acidic bite, so the feel is a bit stinging, and the finish is fairly dry.

D: This is a really really good IIPA, one of the best I've had. The balance is pretty impressive because it packs quite a hop punch and yet it doesn't abuse your mouth. I think I had unrealistic expectations about this though, like it would be some sort of religious experience. An excellent brew and one that I would not hesitate to drink again, but I can't say I would rate this higher than some of my other favorite IIPA's. Still, just another fantastic brew from RR, and something I would never pass up the opportunity to drink.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company