Pliny The Younger | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by xlperro on 01-27-2005

Reviews: 929 | Ratings: 2,970
4.92/5  rDev +5.4%

I was skeptical of the hype for this beer but cutting to
the chase, it delivers, especially as it warms up a little. Had this on tap first at RR brewpub, then at Toronado, review was from first tasting

A: 4.5: A deep, clear, golden orange color with a thin off white
head that quickly dissipates to a thin ring with moderate lacing
and a little carbonation with small persistent, rising bubbles
S: 5: Damn. Punch in the face. Citrus, pine, floral, everything
hits at once and in balance. I could just keep smelling this beer
T: 5: Perfect, at first while this was a little too cool there wasn't that much bitterness from the hops and instead was just a delicious semi-sweet citrus flavor then as it warms up a little the there is a stronger bitterness up front that never lets go but never quite devastates the palate like Hop 15 or Hopslam. Slight malt, chocolate taste hiding in the finish too. Also as it warms up there is a slight taste of alcohol in the background to remind you of the 11% abv. Basically, this is just too good.
M: Again, near perfect to me, nice medium to thicker body that is very smooth and in the finish remarkably creamy/silky with a moderate level of carbonation.
D: Considering the alcohol and ibu this deserves something higher than a 5. I have not had the Elder yet so I can't compare but of all the Imperial/Double/whatever IPAs I've had this is by far the best and easiest drinking.

4.47/5  rDev -4.3%

Bright peachy orange color. Nice fresh hop aroma, leans toward ripe citrus but also some earthy/herbal notes too. Nose is clean, citrus hops, with a permeating but pleasant bitterness that carries some ripe tangerine flavors. Slightly viscous, full mouthfeel. Malt provides perfect vehicle for all the hops, without getting in the way. Really nice hop complexity with the perfect amount of bitterness to finishing ratio. Hop flavors are complex, with leafy earth and pine coming through after initially ripe citrus burst. While this IPA is a whopping 11% abv, it is not overly sticky, cloying, or too sweet, and the alcohol is almost undetectable. Probably one of the best versions of the strong IPA style I've had, and almost worthy of its reputation, but not the lines and inconvenience of many of the release events. Tasted @ Toronado 2/2/08.

4.9/5  rDev +4.9%

Served on-tap at the Toronado on 2/2/08.

A: Pours a bright orangish color with a thick white head. Tons of sticky sweet lacing all over the glass. Even the color in the brew screams out "citrus"!

S: The best nose in an DIPA that I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying. It bursts out with fresh hops. An absolute wallop of fresh citrus fruit in the form of grapefruit, orange, and other tropical fruits. Of course, the woodsy pine is also present.

T: An incredibly well crafted and delicious DIPA. The best I've ever had. An explosion of hops, but not at all over the top and always in perfect harmony with the slightly sweet and light underlying malts. It's really the perfect DIPA in my book, an explosion of citrus hops, a wonderful bitter pine aftertaste, and always in prefect balance and harmony with the malt backbone.

M: Another perfect, for the mouthfeel in this is sublime. Just ever so slightly thick with an active carbonation. Perfect amount of body.

D: Well, this beer sure did have a lot of hype and I wasn't sure if it could live up to it. Not only did it live up to the hype, it exceeded it. Probably my favorite beer of all time. It's really ever thing that I look for in my favorite style, the DIPA. It's a shame that it's only releases once a year but I would go the ends of the earth to sip this one again.

4.85/5  rDev +3.9%

A- Tangerine colored brew pours with a light head which dissapates fairly quickly with some lacing.

S- Smell is very piney, some deep sweet malt notes, reminescent of Pliny the Elder but much bigger with hints of alcohol.

T- Taste is phenomenal. A very complex IPA, a boquet of piney, floral hops, big malt backbone, hard to describe but everything you could ask for in a triple IPA and more.

M- Mouthfeel is thick with carbonation a bit on the low side which suits this brew.

D- I could honestly drink this beer until I passed out. One of my favorite beers, bar none, and I don't say that a lot.

4.8/5  rDev +2.8%

WOW!!

I couldnt really see how clear this beer is because the toronado is really dark, and the new bartendress didnt put the neon lights on. But it looked very yellow citrus grapefruit orange peely.

IT SMELLED OF HOPS

IT TASTED OF HOPS

The mouthfeel left me burping up hops, and a shot of alcohol. There was a streak of alcohol and hops running from my tongue all the way down to my stomach, and i'm not bullshitting.

This beer is fantastic. WOW!!

Golden-amber in the glass with the faintest hop haze and a quarter-inch of white froth. Head retention is very good for such a high gravity beer, and the brightness and clarity are impressive.

The hop aroma is huge. Very resiny like Elder, but with a slightly greater sugary malt presence. Notes of pine and tropical fruit from the hops, the depth is outstanding and there's barely a hint of sweetness despite the staggering 11% ABV.

Plenty of juicy, resiny hops in the taste, but they're expertly balanced by the light malt backbone. Zesty and fruity hop flavors mix with notes of peach, pineapple and biscuit. A puckering hop bitterness comes out in the finish, overpowering the malt and drying the palate slightly.

Sticky, lightly oily with semi-crisp carbonation. Dry and bitter but displaying amazing balance, the bitterness never becomes wearying and the alcohol is hardly noticeable.

4.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to weeare138 for this one.
Hand-bottled in a 12oz

A: Pours a slightly hazier, slightly lighter amber than the Elder with a bigger head as well. Lots of spiderweb-like lacing.

S: Big citrusy hop smell packed with grapefruit aroma.

T: Loaded with citric hop deliciousness. Not overwhelmingly bitter, per se, but tilting heavily toward that side of the spectrum. A slightly noticable alcohol presence.

M: Full-bodied, syrupy and thick. Light-moderate carbonation.

D: A great DIPA and significantly better than the Elder IMO. Worth the hype.

4.82/5  rDev +3.2%

Had this beer a couple of times at some beer tastings in the East.
A - Pretty much looks like a big IPA. Lots of amber color.
S - Wow. Smells like Christmas from a couple of feet away. It's almost overwhelming, but in a good way.
T - Wow. Again. So many hops it's tough to take it all in. Very complex.
M - Very fresh. Very lively. Very nice.
D - This is a huge, hoppy beer. It's extremely drinkable given the agressive hopping and ABV.

4.44/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. pour, at Hollingshead Delicatessen,

A: Poured into a Chimay chalice, Pliny the Younger pours a vibrant, sparkling orange, with a creamy, billowy almost white head. Good retention with solid lace.

S: Very hoppy, with lots of pine and fragrant grapefruit. Smells like a freshly cut Christmas tree.

T: Magnificent, incredibly hoppy and complex. Hop city, if you want to know what American hops are all about, then drink this beer. Lots of pine, grapefruit, and a fair amount of tropical fruit like papaya and pineapple abound in its great taste, with a good amount of complex, solventy alcohol.

M: Robust, resiny, warming, fruity, and complex.

D: Another great beer from Russian River, I prefer the Elder to this one, but this is a great beer in its own right, everyone who can find this elusive beer should try it. Too drinkable for it's weight, a pint will get you buzzed and only make you want more.

Edit 2/15/10 - Having this beer on-tap, fresh at Hollingshead's at 10:10 am when your taste buds are at their best, I think I really know where I am at with this effort. Upped the taste and drinkablity a bit, lowered the appearance, 4.6 tells you really what I think. This is the new #1. This is truly world class. In the end though I can get a similar experience from PtE and I don't have to fight crowds and lines. The hype machine has truly taken this beer to another level. It's so good, I think I will venture to Beachwood on the 23rd, but in the end, I don't know how pumped I'll be about seeking this beer out in 2011. Pretty much check it out at Beachwood since it's close. But the easy days of PtY are over.

Edit 2/25/11 - Having this year's version, it wasn't anywhere close to last year's, just a solid beer. Dropping the score down since sometimes it's insane, other times just a "good" DIPA.

4.62/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a home bottled younger some months ago but never recorded. Recording on revisiting it this evening.

Pours a golden orange into my Smutty Big Beer glass. A decent little head rises up and fades away in minutes. Aroma is deep, and sweet with the rich resiny hops kicking in and rounding out the nose.

Taste falls in line with aroma. Hops hit syou but the sweetness carries it through the sip. Lots of sweeet and sticky conifer, not even pine so much, resiny pitch that sicks deep into the swallow and lingers till the cotton sets in and your mouth is so dry it puckers. This gets a bit hotter as the temp creeps up letting some alcohol shine through a bit.

Have to thoroughly enjoy when the hype holds up. This is obviously a winner when in the mood for a DIPA.

4.42/5  rDev -5.4%

Clear faded orange liquid with quickly rising bubbles. A frothy bright white head rises up thickly and settles down to a firm half inch cap.

Bright and inviting aroma of tangerine and honeydew melon, some honey and cinnamon.

Full and rich flavor of resinous toffee sugar and some oily and sticky citrus hops. Less sweet than in the nose, more orange flavored with some grapefruit rind in the finish. A piney warmth lingers and warms the mouth. That 11% octane is well hidden beneath the flavors.

Good mouthfeel and carbonation despite the ABV. Pretty full and satisfying.

Very drinkable for such a big beer. Many thanks to RedwoodGeorge for this fine selection.

4.9/5  rDev +4.9%

OH MY GOSH!! [sorry about the cap lock, intentional though]

This nectar is unbelievable. Even after some of the worlds greatest Double India Pale Ales, i mean the BEST, this stuff is exceptional!

Pours a very nice pale golden color, just what an IPA [double or triple in my book} Perfect head! great lacing! [OK sorry about the exclamation points, but come on this is the best!!]

Great hoppy aroma.

Perfect balance, [Huge beer of course but...] big malt to go with the bitter hops.

[My local brewer makes a great triple, that actually come pretty close to this and some day some how i need to get this Pliny the Younger and Buzzsaw together!]

The only fault is that of course, you can't drink this all the time, and even though it [especially] isn't available to me easily, this is probably for the better.
Great stuff!

4.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Props to Redwood George for getting a bottle of this to someone in the Chicago area!!!

The appearance was a hazy, bright gold color with about 1/4 inch of white head. A few initial whiffs brought scents of grapefruit and lemon rind. More careful sniffing brought out some alcohol and bready croissant aromas.

The flavor was all about hops. There is a strong hop bitterness made up of mostly grapefruit, pine, and lemon flavors. What is not there is a strong alcohol taste. The mouthfeel is full with a dry, bitter finish.

Overall this is an exceptionally easy drinking double (or triple) IPA. Much more drinkable than other examples that I have had. I could drink a lot of this... which is very dangerous.

4.72/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a pale, hazy gold. Creamy head of white foam sits steady.
I was caught off-guard by the sweetness right off the bat..but that being said, once the sticky sweetness fades, this is one hoppy mother#^!%er... The citrus flavors are simply incredible..grapefruit, pineapple, orange, peach, mango, kiwi, etc, etc.. leading into an equally impressive piney, floral hop bite...wow. I would need to drink a lot more of this to try and capture all the flavors..and I have a feeling I'd be up for the challenge.
The huge hop dosage leads to a dry finish that leaves you tasting hops long afterwards..and at 11%, this remains remarkably drinkable down to the last drop.

A unique, complex, and unrelenting beer that certainly demands respect.

Can't thank wcudwight enough for the chance to try this rare gem.

4.53/5  rDev -3%

Had on cask at Naja's Place on my 21st birthday.
I was excited watching the beertender pump this one out of the beer engine and my mouth was salivating as she handed me my first legal "good beer." The beer was a dark orange with very little active carbonation, but a uge white frothy head. The taste was... well it's Younger. It's fantastic. Hoppy, creamy, smooth, hoppy, delicious. This was a most fantastic beer, I wish I could drink more of it, but it was my 21st and I was at Naja's and there were way too many other beers I had to try that night. I might not have been the best "advocate" that night, but dammit, how many times o you turn 21 at Naja's? Fantastic stuff, highly reccomended.

4.5/5  rDev -3.6%

On tap at Capones in Norristown, PA.

Pours a bright amber/copper color with gold highlights when held up to the light. Nice fluffy, thick, two fingered, white head with great lacing on the glass.

Aromas of citrusy(especially grapefruit), zesty, lemony, piney, grassy HOPS, HOPS, HOPS!!!

Tastes of nice subtle, sweet malt and citrusy hops with a hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy and a bit sweet but not cloying. Pleasant alcohol warmth with a sharp bitter bight.

4.89/5  rDev +4.7%

Nice golden color with an off-white head that retains well and leaves a decent lacing. Absolutely mind blowing aroma. Full of citrus; grapefruit and pine and other aromas I can't hardly begin to describe are not only blended perfectly, but are powerful enough to greet your tongue from a foot away. Amazing taste of aforementioned aromas with a strong, yet amazing bitterness. The bitterness seemed like it came in waves; extremely bitter, but only pleasant bitterness, not harsh at all. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a dry finish, leaving you wanting more and more once the explosion of taste leaves your mouth. I would drink the hell out of this if given the opportunity.
I should note that this was from a growler shared at DLD, it was not a full glass, but I felt there was more than enough for a review.

4.92/5  rDev +5.4%

HUGE THANKS to todd1 for this growler. You are a god among men, sir.

Pours out crystal clear, thin white head. Golden/copper in color. Not much carbonation to be seen... maybe since it's from a growler. Nice lacing whilst drinking.

Absolutely amazing hop aromas going on here. Very citrusy, bold American hops. Perfect for the style.

Taste absolutely lives up to reputation. Bold hop flavor, not overly bitter or aggressive. Sticky, citrus flavors... incredibly smooth and balanced. Strong malt backbone. Honestly, the most well-balanced DIPA I've ever had. As this warmed, the hops became even more prevalent.

Mouthfeel is wonderfully full. Nice hop-stickiness across the palate. I think this brew lost a bit of the carbonation being in a growler for a week before I opened it, but it's still very nice.

I didn't notice that this was 11% ABV until I was polishing it off. So smooth and tasty... masks the strong alcohol admirably.

Photo of
4.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Capone's 4/18/07.

Clear, true-gold in color. Modest, off-white head. Lacing minimal, some legs.

Aroma is grapefruit, peaches and honey. Smelled pine in my growler of Elder a few months ago, but didn't get that as much here. Tasting this side by side with Elder, and Younger doesn't smell as sweet.

Taste was grapefruit, big time. Younger has stronger hop bite than Elder. Biscuity, but covered in grapefruit jam. Well balanced, but still screams with hops, if that makes any sense. A bit sweeter than the Elder, and a more noticeable ABV. Grass and pepper at finish.

Medium to medium + in body. Carbonation seemed medium. Immediate feel of alcohol warming in Elder, alcohol warming with Younger when you pick up the glass...

Very, very good. If I wasn't drinking it side by side with Elder, I would probably have no complaints at all. As it stands, it is a touch sweeter and, to my taste, quite a bit hotter. I would happily drink this until I fell over, but when it came time to fill my growler, I took the Elder home with me.

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

Second of a group of growlers donated by kind hosts to the beer-sampling cause after being retrieved by a long road trip several days prior. Carbonation levels somewhat lower due to this treatment. Still sampled in reasonable condition and without having to take a personal trip down to Philly to have some.

After a minor cuisine-related mishap that had me thinking this somewhat bland and watery (see my tasting notes for the Elder for details), I came back to this beer to be quite pleasantly surprised. Suddenly, tasted on a palate no longer swamped with spice, I had something big and broadly hoppy and quite enjoyable.

Appearance was a clear deep amber. Due to conditions, there wasn't any obvious head without swirling up whatever little was still there, in which case there could still be some little bit of white bubbles. Big, broad, full nose of hops. Not so much a focused blast of grapefruit as in the Elder, more of a solid wide symphony of hops. Flavor was complex with a sort of mild start, then more of the hops shining through along side some syrupy-sweet caramel malt notes and then the 2x4 of the high alcohol to the side of the head. Wow. Needs to be treated with respect, but quite delicious. Again, quite similar to some other DIPAs that I'm fond of, but I prefer a more direct hop slightly lower alcohol/malt version so I will have to so that I prefer the Elder slightly. No matter, quite a wonderful beer.

4.92/5  rDev +5.4%

Sampled on-tap at Capone's in Norristown, PA on 4-18-07 as part of a side by side comparison with Pliny the Elder. This review is from notes taken that night.

APPEARANCE: Amber with gold highlights. Nice head with incredible lacing.

SMELL: Huge grapefruit and other citrus. Very raw hops flavors. Smells like the hops were just picked off the plant.

TASTE: It starts out so malty, you don't expect what's to come. But serious grapefruity hops come really hard, and last. The finish is nice and clean. An absolutely perfect beer.

MOUTHFEEL: Not very carbonated, but feels really smooth. Not syrupy like its Elder counterpart.

DRINKABILITY: Like the Elder, I'm blown away by this. No IPA can come close.

The Younger was my preferred Pliny of the night. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it.

4.24/5  rDev -9.2%

Many thanks to redwoodgeorge and mntlover for making this possible.

This beer is like Elder on steroids. The beer looks the same, smells much the same but there are some differences. The higher abv of the younger is evident. This takes just a touch from the drinkability because caution is needed. Much like the Elder, this beer is worthy of the hype and and I will likely try and get some more in the future.

4.32/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a clear copper/golden color with a solid inch off-white sticky head. I honestly didn't spend much time eyeing this one as the aroma when the bottle cap was popped kind of put me into a trance. Wonderful punget hoppy aroma. The aroma almost dares you and invites you at the same time.
Taste is much like the Elder. Hops are more agressive and the alchohol is more noticable in the finish. Still a marvelous tasting beer.
Mouthfeel is full, sticky and numbing. The Younger attacks the palate and leaves no doubt that he was there.
As much as I like this beer, and I LIKE this beer. IMHO, the Elder is better. I could drink the Younger often, but only a pint at a time. I could spend a happy life drinking nothing but the Elder. Both are excellent examples of thier respective styles by a top notch brewery and a very tallented brewer.
Thanks to RedwoodGeorge for not only providing the beers, but for the experience.

4.1/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Toronado. After drinking Pliny the Elder too many times to count, I finally came across the much heralded and harder to find Pliny the Younger on tap. Like the Elder, the Younger pours beautifully with a clean, coppery orange and a nice two-finger head. The smell is pungent with citrus/grapefruit hops, but with less of the sweet pine and floral character you sometimes find in the other good IIPAs. Not a bad thing - just different and you know this one is going to hit you big time with the bitter end of the hops. Flavor is dominated by grapefruity bitterness, but kept in check with a biscuity malt. Mouthfeel is medium and fairly smooth for such a big beer. My only real complaint is I find this beer to be a little more astringent and hot with alcohol on the finish than I like. Where the Elder is the epitome of balance for me, I find this one a bit unbalanced. Some like this, but to me it makes this a "have a pint and then I’m done with it" kinda beer. Another excellent effort by Vinnie, the Yoda of IPAs, but I’d rather hook myself up to an I.V. of the Elder for the night!

4.44/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: Standard pint from tap

Appearance: Golden yellow in color, minus points for looking strangely like urine

Smell: Nothing overpowering with a light hop and medium malt smell.

Taste: A balanced malt flavor straight from the start quickly blends with a balanced hop charactor and a alcohol flavor. Finishes at first with a strong alcohol flavor that is mildly covered with the hops. The alcohol flavor quickly vanishes as the glass empties, because it starts to get you tipsy.

Overall: An excellent offering, but I didn't buy into the hype. I like the elder much more. I think with a little more time the alcohol would have aged into a more balanced beer. I finish still in search of a beer I would put in my all time top 10.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company