Pliny The Younger | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by xlperro on 01-27-2005

Ratings: 3,076 |  Reviews: 946
4.69/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.48/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.57/5  rDev -2.1%

Finally able to track down this thorn in my side beer! Tons of hop aroma on the nose and on the palate but a little too west coast malty for my taste....you can almost taste the ABV....chase OVER!

4.91/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Got Lucky and was on business the last day of the 2017 Younger release.
It punches you in the mouth with hops - in a good way! Very tasty, not bitter. Also very strong. I was an hour away from my motel so I only had two of the three 8oz servings that I was allowed.

4.6/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.77/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.46/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.84/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.28/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.72/5  rDev +1.1%

I'm not usually one to buy into the hype, but my local bar got a keg of this and I couldn't resist. (Thanks Hop Grenade!) Pours an orange color with a lacing of bubbles. Creamy citrus smell. Resin-y feel with a touch of carbonation. Taste is pretty much all hops, smooth citrus and pine flavors with no harshness. The impressive thing about this is that the smell and taste are all hops, but it's so smooth and less bitter even than many single IPAs. You would never know this is a 10.25% ABV either, it hides the alcohol well. Overall, it's a great beer. I'm glad I got to try it, but I don't know that I'd stand in line for hours to have it again. For my money, I think Westvleteren 8 is better.

4.82/5  rDev +3.2%

4.58/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev -3.6%

4.72/5  rDev +1.1%

4.86/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On Tap at the RRBC 2/14/17

L: Slightly hazy amber orange with a thin half finger head that dissipated fairly quickly.
S: I expected the smell to be a little more pungent. Still a nice blend of oranges, mango, and a little lemon followed by some subtle sweetness.
T: For me, this beer is all about the malt. Yeah, it's a hop bomb. But, I don't think the hops stand out more than in Pliny the Elder. You get a fair amount of resinous pine bite upon first sip and then this flood of malty sweetness to quell the bite. This lets some of the citrus flavors come out without it being juicy. I imagine candied oranges. I've had a number of triple IPA's that have a bit of ethanol tang on the finish. This was totally absent in PtY.
F: Smooth. Very Smooth. Almost buttery. Great mouth feel and very drinkable. Perfect carbonation.
O: Oh yeah. It's that good.

4.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.88/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

If you live in CA, come get this beer. The hype is worth it, this is a ridiculously smooth beer and it wont disappoint your expectations.

4.81/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.95/5  rDev +6%