Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

4.5

Reviews: 1,445 | Ratings: 6,194
4.3/5  rDev -4.4%

A-Pours with ample head that falls quickly but the carbonation is fairly high so a thin layer of foam sticks around. Nice copper color.
S-Mostly you get the typical sour ale smell with a hint of wood.
T-Very complex. You get flavors of wood and wine along with the tartness from the brett and the lacto and pedio bacteria.
M-Tart, very dry, almost no fruit sweetness. Lots of bubbles.
Overall, very complex beer. I enjoy sours a great deal and this is the best I've had for the style. Sometimes it's nice to have a sour that has more sweetness but this has a very winelike character and lots of different flavors.

Reviewed from notes.

A- Pours a rusty copper with a finger of off-white head. Streaming carbonation. Nice lacing. Huge pop off of the cork.

S- Tart green apples. Cherries, with a wine-like buttery quality. Acidic vinegar with a bit of funk.

T- Puckering sourness. Tart cherry, green apple, lacto, and a mineral quality. Buttery wine sweetness.

M- Medium thin with high carbonation. Extremely drying finish.

O- One of the best sours for a reason. I've had this one multiple times and still love it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 375mL bottle into a "Belgian Independence Day" tulip at high altitude near Denver, CO. Batch 10. My expectations for this one couldn't be higher.

A: Pours an orangish-amber color with a foamy three-finger off-white head or nice retention. Plenty of lacing on the glass. Large chunks of yeast sediment floating around here.

S: Cherry notes are the most prevalent here, with plenty of sour yeast character present as well. Hints of berry notes in the background here.

T: Opens with dark cherry notes that give way to a proper level of sourness, just below lip-puckering level. Wine barrel notes come through on the finish and help to balance the sourness. The flavors make this one very easy to finish quickly.

M: Medium-bodied with plenty of prickly carbonation and a dry finish. Suits the flavors very nicely and makes me want to come back for another sip just after most of the sourness fades away.

O: This beer is my new standard for sours. I would highly recommend trying it at least once even if the price is high.

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%

I decided to open this one and share it with a few friends during one of the recent UFC fights. Bottle of Batch 4 poured into an over sized snifter.

A - Pours murky brown, with hints of ruby red around the sides, with a stark white one finger tall head leaving spotty lace down the glass.

S - Smells of tart cherries, damp basement must, light vinegar, funky brett, and some dry oak tannins. This one has aged quite nicely.

T - Starts off with lots of tart cherries up front slowly giving way to a mix of light sweetness, funky brett, strong sourness, and some must. The finish is a mix of tartness and quite a bit of dryness, lingering on the pallet for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Dry, tart, feel with plenty of it lingering through the finish.

O - I still love this beer and it only seems to get better with age. I just wonder how long it can go for. If this one is any indication I would say quite awhile.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle batch 003. Pours a cloudy dark amber color with a thick white head. Smells musty and sour. Has a medium mouthfeel. Taste is very complex and has many flavors including: oak, sour, fruit, tartness, pepper spice, and some acidic spiciness. Overall this is not a punch you in the mouth sour like some of the other sours out there. Its more subtle. Its more drinkable. My drinking buddy commented its like eating a piece and candy and wanting more. That's what its like between sips. Overall a great brew.

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%

A- Pours a hazy amber color with a thin white head. Head that settles quickly, but leaves great lacing on the glass.

S- Slightly sour cherries up front. Oak, a hint of yeast, just a bit of funk and maybe a bit of Earthy hops.

T- A bit of the cherry flavor is present, with some caramel, spice, and a big dose of oak. The finish is tart, but not nearly as sour as I expected.

M- Lighter side of mediun in body and carbonation.

D- Very easy to drink and would enjoy this one again.

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is our last beer from Russian River. This is also the highest rated on BeerAdvocate. We need to take a trip to the Russian River Valley so we can visit the brewery. Their beers are made in pretty small batches, and they don't get great distribution. I landed this, and all of the other beers from them, in a trade. Speaking of trades, I just bought 14 bottles/cans tonight for a massive trade I am doing with Ashley Bower. REALLY looking forward to that one. She is sending us a bottle of Mexican Cake. It's not on the list, but I am pumped to try it.

It was cool learning about the owners of Russian River Brewing Company and their love for Pinot Noir wine. I like Pinot Noir, too. This beer was aged for a year in Pinot Noir barrels. I am fickle when it comes to barrel aged beers, but I have some pretty big expectations for this one. I bet this is sour, too. I could smell this as I was pouring it… and it smells quite sour. I am going to stop talking… let's drink!

In the Glass: This is quite carbonated, and it was producing a ton of bubbles and a nice thick white head as I was pouring it. I could smell, as I was pouring it, the subtle sourness that I am looking forward to. The head just sits there and while the beer doesn't have much lace, the head makes me want to grab a spoon and start eating! I hope this beer smells good.

Oh, the beer has a nice amber color to it. I am sure some of that color comes from the Pinot Noir barrels. It says on the bottle that this is aged 9 to 15 months. I wonder how they decide how long to age a particular beer like this.

Nose: It doesn't smell as sour as I expected it to. I am getting some of those tannins that you get when smelling a well balanced Pinot Noir. In the back of my mind I want this to taste more like a glass of wine than a beer. The bubbles, however, leave me to think I am going to have an experience as if I was drinking champagne. A second sniff has me smelling more fruit and I am sure it reads weird, but it smells expensive. Is that weird?

Flavor: The beer is not as carbonated as I expected it to be, but it is quite sour. Good thing I like sour beers. There is a lot going on here with the flavor and it really changes as it slides across your palate. There are some bubbles when it first hits your lips, and then it begins to really open up as you swallow. There is a ton of flavor in the aftertaste, too, leaving this beer a wide range of awesome! The sour quickly fades leaving you a hint of those tannin that I keep talking about.

Mouthfeel: There are a ton of bubbles at first, but it's not overwhelming. I wouldn't recommend swishing this around in your mouth much. I did that on my second sip, and the sour flavor really comes through. But the bubbles become overwhelming. If you don't like sour beers, stay away. As you swallow, the beer mellows out and you are left with a nice thin layer of sweetness every time you swallow. This beer is well produced and that is obvious every step of the way.

Aftertaste: That is my favorite part of this beer. As soon as you swallow you are hit with some subtle dryness that just coats your tongue with flavor. I have been sitting on this last sip for a good 5 minutes and I feel/taste like I just took a sip. I don't know the process of aging a beer in a wine barrel, but there has got to be some trial and error to realize the beer is ready after 9 months or not quite ready until it hits 15 months.

Speaking of barrel aged beers, the last time we tried Sirius Black, a killer beer from Four Peaks Brewing Company, I talked with someone from the brewery. He said the batch we were trying, at a tap takeover at Hops On Birch, had been aged for 12 months in a barrel. I am not sure I could be that patient pouring a beer as good as Sirius Black into a barrel just to wait a year! That is what makes cellering beer so tough.

We can't get Russian River beers here, but if we could I would be broke. This, along with all the other "-ation" beers we have tried/reviewed, is great. The more sour the better. Cheers, people!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoying this the evening before my first brewery only release at Troegs for Splinter Black. From a batch 5 bottle. Shared with the woman, who gives the dreaded beerface to it (a day after giving La Folie two thumbs up!).

Supplication is a wildy tasty sour. Great lacing, half finger of head that dissipates but spots the glass and retains well. The aroma is strong of cherries and puckering tartness. Taste follows the nose and is dark cherries that pucker but aren't overwhelmed by malts. The malts are present too, just dominated by the sourness.

For all the sour, it's still highly drinkable. After the medium body, nicely carbonated brew goes through it leaves you puckering for more. At 7.00%, that's not hard. Only problem is the price.

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%

-on tap at the Falling Rock $6.50 per 1/2 pint and worth every penny. Nice brown-red-orange color in the wine glass. Smells sour, dull, hmmm, bottle was better. It tastes nice and sour with some cherry and it does pucker. A lot of people were ordering this and I already knew why. An awesome sour but I preferred the bottled version oddly.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer came highly recommended by my a trusted friend and considering I can find it more readily in Denver I decided to open my bottle.

The beer poured an nice amber/red and had a nice single finger head with itty-bitty bubbles throughout.

The nose was of sour cherries with a little bit of wood.

The taste was a dry tartness with a slight dark fruit bitterness developing into sour cherries and finishing with oak on the tongue.

The mouthfeel was elegant and fitting for as much esteem as I have heard this beer receive over the past few months.

Overall this is a great beer with a dry finish that doesn't turn me off like some beers I have recently tasted. Not much sweet which I found very inviting for this beer.

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pure amber color with mild chill haze. Head is rocky beige, subsiding into a thin ring. Cherries and brown sugar are the primary aromas with some citrus and brett influence as well. Intense tartness in the taste. Sour cherries and a vinous quality that leaves a tannic impression on the tongue. An herbal bitterness lingers on the tongue as well.

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%

RBSG 2005... Poured a hazy orange gold color with a light, off white head, that left spotty lacing on the glass. Aroma of diactyl, herbs, tart grapes, and a touch of caramel. Taste of sweet malts, oak, coconuts, yeast, tart, and sour grapes. Thanks Eyedrinkale

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Many thanks to Tom for the bottle!

Pours an amber-orange color, with a foamy, fizzy head, which reveals fiery spots in the glass, when faded.

The aromas reveal cherry stone pits among dried cherries, vanilla, warm, old wood and a zippy funkiness. Due to the present tartness, the cherries get a vinous, fermented note, gracefully balanced by the wooden, leathery malts, which lets their sweeter side stand out even more. Cherries evoke a pungent, rich impression of sunbathed, ripe fruits during a warm summer, with just a hint of invigorating lemon zest to them.

Has an unusual sweet taste for a sour beer, based on its malt and ripe fruit foundation, accompanied by matured, wine soaked chunks of wood, topped with a hint of vanilla. Lactic sourness rises from the fruitiness, giving the cherries a powerful, pleasant character, hovering above musty malts and oak. Acidity then blends outstandingly well into the cherry flavor, adding a vinous note to it without becoming too sour, accentuating the rich fruitiness, balanced by the earth and leather. The beer finishes pleasantly dry nontheless, supported by a vivid carbonation, with cherryskin, toasty stone fruit pits, a vinous tang and tooth quenching sourness, still leaving enough space for rejuvenating cherry qualities.

Review from notes.

A: Poured into a wine glass. Beaten copper color with minimal head and minimal lacing. First appearance is hazy, but that is actually extremely fine carbonation rising to the surface. Tiniest little bubbles ever.

S: Cherries, sour mash, lactobacillus funk, candied red fruit, barnyard, straw.

T: Barnyard funk, musty beginning, acidic, wine like, tart bright cherry candy finish (think cherry Jolly Rancher). Flavor sticks with you.

M: Big acidity. Absolutely massive flavor for being light to medium bodied. Carbonation works wonders to bring everything together.

O: The mountain top of sours. Extremely high quality, very flavorful without being a "big" beer. One of the paragons of the style.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 3, bottled 3/4/200, and the last Supplication to use the R.R. wine yeast.

A - A deep amber with 2 fingers of khaki head, excellent retention, some legs.

S - slightly acetic, brett, and malt. cherries aren't really apparent in the nose anymore.

T - starts with nice sour cherry, but the belgian brown base is more noticeable at this age. Has a nice sweet finish with a bit of oak.

M/D - Medium carbonation with a medium body. Highly drinkable after your palate adjust a few sips in. Reminiscent of a Flanders Red, especially at this age with the cherries sitting further back.

A great beer at this age, but I'm not sure if aging it longer will do it any good.

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml bottle serves in a tulip.

A - Pours a dark amber color with a nice white foamy head. Nice head retention but little lacing.

S - Pick up the cherries immediately. Lovely aroma.

T - Nicely soured so as not to overwhelm.

M - Medium bodied with excellent carbonation.

O - A well done sour. This bottle was dated 10/21/13. Going to put away a couple to see how they age.

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a goblet. One finger of head on a deep amber colored body.
The aroma is a sour smell with brown sugar, wood and raspberry all mixed up in the best way.
The taste is quite sour with wood and raspberry.
The texture is crisper with moderate carbonation.
A great drink.

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%

Had a bottle at The Trappist with waltonc. Like the beer a little better than him but have similiar comments

A: Light reddish color, hazy. Virtually no head nor lacing

S: Tart cherries. A mild funk in the background but it's very subtle

T/M: Exactly like it smells. Tart cherries. A little tarter than I remember. A little earthiness, probably from the Brett even though I don't know for sure what that tastes like. Medium bodied and dry. Really good stuff.

D: I really enjoy this beer and could probably drink a couple of glasses. But too many sours in one night has me craving malty sweetness soon thereafter.

An excellent beer. Like this the most of the RR sours.

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%

375 ml bottle Batch 005X3 split between the girlfriend and I. Served at cellar temperature.

A: Dark honey-amber body with steady carbonation bubbles rocketing to the surface. Fizzy and bubbly off-white head. Splotchy lacing and a nice retention cap.

S: Acidic cherry notes, light malt-vinegar, milky, faint wood and some sour citrus. End is apricots and bay leaves.

T: Immediate tartness washes over the entire palate. Some mild honeydew, cherry and papaya flavors give a great balance to the sour qualities. Nothing is overbearing or understated, really nice example of an American Wild.

M: Extremely bubbly and carbonated, though light on the palate. Overall, a wonderful mouth feel for the style.

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

375ml batch 04X1. This might just be my favorite sour by RR. This sour solder is orange/amber in color with a small head. The old cake whole is inundated with tart and sour cherries, light fruit, oak, funk, and brett.

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%

As I was drinking this beer I kept thinking to myself what restraint the brewer used in all the components added to the mix. This led me to realize that some remarkable craftsmanship went into the making of this beer.

Another brewer might have tried to make this into a big taste salad by upping the flavor profile. That would be a mistake in my opinion. This beer has many interlocking smells and flavors that each stand on their own and interplay with each other. An incredible job.

It pours slightly hazed orange red with no discernable solids in the body, but it was not clear. The head on the pour was nice and solid and lowered to a skim after a minute or so.

I think I dipped my nose in the glass more than I sipped. The smell is quite incredible. It starts with more of a slightly sour smell with some cherry pits, but as it warms it takes on a more winey character with a definite cedar smell. I really enjoyed the smell of this beer. It had many distinct but subtle smells - light balsamic vinegar, cherry pits, cedar, brown sugar, red wine, and a damp sweet earthiness. Truly amazing.

Taste was quite good as well, but not as complex as the nose. It had a light sour character that interplayed with some sweetness and a dry woodiness.

Mouthfeel was spot on - moderately thick, creamy carbonation and a slight drying.

What a great sipper.

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Got this on my second trade but have just been letting it sit trying to gather up the nerve to try it after being wrecked by the Sourness that is Consecration.

A - Vibrant amber color. With rocky white head and great lacing. This beer looks similar to a Dr. Pepper with some malt body.

S - The smell comes off with a fruit bouquet with mostly a tart black cherry smell that is quite nice. After the initial fruit aromas it has complexity. There is a sour character, some oakiness, and some tannins and a wine character from the barrel. In addition to all that there is also a malt, grain, and a sweet diacetyl which really adds depth.

T - With the first sip you get rocked by all of the different flavors but like all of the best beers it is complex but you can dissect it. Initially the cherries, sweet malt, and oak hit the front and then develop quickly in the middle with the sour but still fruity character that is more vinous. On the finish the sour helps cleanse the ton of different flavors but there is enough residual sweet malt, cherry, and grape to keep it tasty.

M - light mouth-feel with high carbonation. The low ABV makes this very easy to drink and the balance of sweet and tart is pleasant.

Overall, a very tasty sour. The cherries really make this beer. I really enjoyed how the fruit flavors blend well with the wine and malt but in a light bodied ale. It isn't like a Lindemans Kriek cherry flavor but more like a dark cherry that rounds out the flavor instead of being a more candy cherry flavor. The sour is a strong contributor being at different intensities throughout the entire taste but is always complimented by some other flavor. This is much better than Consecration because of the balance of cherry, wine, oak, malt, sweet, and sour without the sour really making you cringe or overrunning all the other flavors.

Glass- Tulip

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Good sour beer, the cherries come through well but the acidity was a tad over for me, shared a bottle and struggled a bit with the excess sourness. It's a very well made beer.

4.28/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a tawny brown with a fizzy, loosely structured head that dissipates pretty quickly. Lots of sediment floaties.

Smell is sharp, funky and acidic, with barnyard and vinous notes.

Taste is sharp and assertively tart at first, sour on the back end. Mellows out after a few minutes and notes of grape, cherries, green apple and lime come through. It remains very tart, but in a more mellow, refreshing way. A truly unique beverage that makes you totally forget you're actually drinking a beer. Let alone a somewhat strong beer -- there is no alcohol flavor to be found.

Mouthfeel is prickly from the tartness, not so much from the carbonation, which is fairly minimal. Yet it manages to also be soft and velvety and coats the palate nicely.

This beer brings together traits from so many delicious beverages -- tart sparkling cider, champagne, red wine -- and marries them with a beer base to great effect. Not quite a luxurious as the Bruery's Oude Tart, but somehow more unique and refreshing.

4.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a 375mL bottle into a tulip. Batch 008.

A: Fairly clear...a little bit of haze from the yeast that got in. Copper/amber in color. One finger white fizzy looking head. Retention is pretty solid.

S: Soft tartness. Funk. Some of the oak aging comes through a bit. Some white grape. Mostly vinegar tartness.

T/M: Massive puckering up front. A good of wine-like bozziness. Defintiely more on the bitter end of tartness. Not as sweet as some other sours. Some bready malt character. More white grape and oakiness. Fizzy and creamy at the same time on the palate. Medium-thin bodied. Finishes on the dry side for sure.

O: A great sour. Really deserves all the accolades. More bitter than sweet and finishes nice and dry. A real treat to get to try this finally.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company