Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

4.5

Reviews: 1,461 | Ratings: 6,294
4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Great beer, really interesting sour.

looked different, not something that I would normally see. Darkish brown, good strong apple smell and sour too.

The taste was pretty much exactly what the smell seemed like, was very full and delicious, quite apple-y.

Great beer, excellent way to mix it up between normal styles, and I highly recommend it.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Top 100 beer review... and this one probably always will be.

I'm bracing myself for this one. As many fine beers that I've tried now, this was absolutely my first time ever trying this one.

I need to thank my good buddies Huhzubendah and biglobo8971 for BOTH sending me bottles of this renowned sour.

Batch 005X1 poured into a tulip at cellar temperature.

No working around of the cork necessary.... this sucker just popped right away!

A: Dark amber color, with ruby highlights when held up to a light source. Mildly off-white head became an oblong bubble formation as it died down.

S: The barrel-aging was evident from the get-go. Brett was totally prominent, but not ridiculous. Sour cherries for sure, along with a good bit of pepper.

T: Mildly jaw-locking, with the RR taste profile on the forefront in spades! The barrel-aging definitely tamed the over the top sourness. Mildly wine-like, but not totally.

M: Definitely carbonated and then some, but much more so than than a fine wine. Fairly thick! I didn't find this one vinegary in the least and was totally state of the art in the Mouthfeel category!

O: This one has earned its place as one of the best sours on the market. Amazing stuff!

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

375 ML bottle batch 006X2.

A: Reddish amber with 3/8" soapy white head that dissipated over 2 minutes.

S: Sour cherries and yeast.

T: Starts off like a typical cherry lambic, but is incredibly smooth and dry and leaves very little aftertaste. Very peculiar and interesting, you want to just keep going for more and more in order to try and figure it out...

M: High level of medium carbonation. Wow.

O: I typically don't like sour beers or lambics but I really enjoy this beer. Exceptional.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

375 ml bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Light brown.

Smell - Vinous, sour. Absolutely awesome!

Taste - Sweet, vinous, tart, funky and delicious!

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Medium carbonation. Excellent!!

Overall - Highly recommend!

Grade (A)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Deep copper color body with an ivory white head.

S: Dar sour grapes with pleasant sour esters.

T: Very rich sour dark grape and sour apple flavors. There is a slight sweet caramel malt character as well.

M: Thick body with a great bit from both the alcohol and the carbonation.

O: Great beer. Russian Rivers best rotational sour.

Batch #005x4

Had at Monk's Cafe, my first ever Russian River sour, I trembled with excitement as my waitress brought it to my table.

A- It pours a dark cherry red, almost ruby, with an active head that sticks around the whole time, though never exceeds more than half an inch. Lacing sticks to the cup all the way.

S- Some barnyard funkiness, but not as much as I would have guessed. Still, the brett is there enough to let me know this is a great sour before I even taste it. Lemon juice, vinegar, sour cherries, oak, and candy all are present.

T- oh man! awesome sour taste here, mouth-puckering but really not overpowering. The barrel-aging is worth it, because earthy, oaky char comes through to balance the acidic sourness. I don't drink much wine, but I detect some wine like characters too. Probably the most complex sour I've had, since sourness is only one feature of the multifacted flavor. Mouthfeel is good too, very carbonated.

O- I have read and read and read about Russian River this, Russian River that. Well, there is a reason people are talking, this might be the best beer I have ever had.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Batch 005x3, reviewed 2/1/11. Tulip glass.

A- Clear amber/rosy color. Some sediment in the second pour. Lots of active carbonation. Poured with 1/4" light peachy off-white head that settles to a lingering thin coating. Some light lacing.

S- Funky brett and fruity/cherry sweetness.

T- Funky brett and definitely some lacto as well upfront, extremely tart fruitiness with some cherry notes. Some faint oak at times. A bit of lemony citrus undertones as well. Incredibly smooth, tart, and extremely awesome.

M- Light bodied with tons of fine carbonation. Smooth and dry.

D- Thankfully I don't come across this often so I can honestly write that I will drink it every opportunity I get. Really excellent. The funky brett flavor just shines in this brew. Smooth and tart. Complex and well balanced all around.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: beautiful clear amber with a thin white head
Smell: one of the best noses of any beer I have ever smelled. Sour yeast, red fruit, red wine.
Taste: comes in with a smooth sweetness and finishes with the strong sour tartness on the back end. Very delicate oak and red wine in the background.
Overall: this is a unique and delicate flavor profile. It is outstanding. I highly recommend it

375 ml litter bottle into a la chouffe snifter

had this at DLD from a bottle from the first 3 batches and now the review is from the 6th batch

a- a dark ruby reddish orange, not cloudy but almost opaque, it kind makes me think of thick apple cider in looks
s- some funk, some sweet, slight apple
t-sour sour sour, this bottle wasnt like my first tasting but its not bad by any means, almost like a warhead candy, you can definetely taste the cherries in the finish
m-lively and jaw locking, lots of carbonation, very dry finish
o/d- overall i love it, my favorite sour so far, drinkability- is good its easy to take down,smooth and light

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Bought a bottle and poured into a tulip glass.

My first time pouring bottled beer into a glass but I think I got it to have a decent amount of head and it opened up to some pleasant cider aromas and cherry and malt, the alcohol is also surprisingly apparent on the nose. I was expecting a really bracingly tart beer having had my fair share of berlinner-weissbiers but this was surprisingly toned and balanced. The heaviness of the alcohol goes well to balance out the tartness of the souring bacteria. cherry and yeast are noticeable but are all welcome and quite gorgeously done. For a brett beer I detected no barnyard funk or anything like that, it was just beautifully pleasant and earthy. The aging in pinot barrels brings out some trace wine-like flavors. This really is a beautiful beer, it's not bracingly sour as I was expecting but it's so balanced between sour, and the alcohol and just everything it truly is a wonderful beer.

4.76/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance - Blood red with lots of carbonation very little head

Smell - Sweet cherries and a touch of wood smell. Definitely picking up the wild yeasts as well

Taste - Puckering wild tartness, this one takes you for a ride. The sweet rich cherries dance around your mouth as the wild yeasts make tartness abundant. It bites at your tongue all the way down and leaves a wheat like yeast flavor to linger for just a second before being taken back over by the cherries again and leaves your mouth salivating for more. Great stuff

Mouthfeel - Very carbonated and fairly thin but right in line with a sour

Overall - This is one of the best sours I have ever had and once again Russian River hits a home run on sours. I for one will always look to try any sour beer that Vinnie and the team put out as they are always fantastic. My hats off once again

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 5/11/2015. Poured from a cork and cage into a snifter, the beer is a vibrant, slightly hazed, ruby-tinted brown coloring, with a thin film of off-white head on the surface, and a ton of carbonation flowing throughout the body. Aromas of tart and sour cherries, dark and sweet pinot notes, earthy undertones, hints of currants and berries, and a solid sour component throughout. Flavors are very sour and tart cherry forward, with a solid acidity and richly sweet backbone. That backbone has notes of cherry, chocolate, currants, and toffee, but it is only an accent character, as the tart and sour blend sweeps it up very quickly. Along with the cherry, your taste buds are overrun with tannins, horseblanket, lemon juice, dry and rich pinot characteristics, wood spice and char, tobacco, and an overall sour tone. Very dynamic and layered palate. The body is dry and crisp, with the increased carbonation cleaning up alongside the astringent sourness. The aftertaste is mostly cherry and wood, but with some earthy notes still lingering here and there. The finish is bone dry, with the sour pucker and acidity wringing every last drop of moisture out of your taste buds, leaving them begging for more. What a tremendous beer!

Batch 06x2.

Shockingly gorgeous burnt amber color. Very surprised as I poured. Red hues almost glowing. very frothy and active white head. Not thick or creamy looking however. More of a bubbly randomness about a half millimeter thick floating atop.

Aroma is funk as expected. barnyard, hay, grass, dark fruit comes through very slightly. some fusal alcohol. Cleaner than expected. thought there would be some more fruit in the aroma.

Taste starts slightly sweet but quickly sours. mouth watering puckerness. Sour cherries, white grapes, lemon rind. Salt. Oak and some very mild nuttiness. You can almost taste a charred wooden barrel if you look for it.
Dry finish keeps calling you back. Savory sourness also contributes to the drinkability. Just an awesome complex flavor to this beer. Excellent.

Probably my favorite beer from russian river. And up there in the top 5 beers of all time for me.

This beer is definately worth the 18 bucks I paid for a small 375 ml bottle.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle from the brewpub itself, dated 1/7/14. Pours a dark red color, somewhat opaque, with a one finger off white head on top. Aroma of sour cherries, vinegar, vinous grape notes. Very nice. Flavor is a medley of sour cherries and vinegar first, but with some beautiful oak and vinous notes that give this a huge punch of flavor and depth. Lots of bretty funk and big lacto bite. The wine notes continue to emerge as it warms. Some nice sweetness that balances out the sour beautifully. Full bodied for a sour brew, with lots of carbonation. A top rated beer for good reason. This is honestly one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.77/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of the best smelling beers I've ever had. My wife who hates cherries and is not a big sour fan agreed about the smell. She did shudder after drinking it though.
I loved it. Perfect tartness and the perfect level of funk. Great feel for a sour. I opened it last night after my nephew scored me another bottle from the brewery (along with several others)! Not sure if I should age it longer or not?
This was bottled in early January of 2015, so it was almost 8 months old. It sure hit the spot for me. Hard to imagine it being better.

4.77/5  rDev +6%

A:Pours a slightly cloudy dark ruby with rusty orange hues around the edges. Head comes to about 2 inches then dissapates quickly and remains at about 1/4-1/2" for the rest of the brew.

S:Can definitely smell the tartness of the Brett and cherries but something else sets this wild apart from others. It has a scent as though it has been intensely purified. It has a sense of clear, crispness while most others of this style are murky with a tart outline.

T:Cherries, slightly sweet cherries at first, lingering into sour cherries then Brett.

M:Beautiful. As though this brew were created in layers so that we could taste it that way. This brew seems to cascade across my tongue, revealing each layer of flavor in a methodical sense.

D:This wild is highly drinkable as the more in depth I get into this brew, the more characteristics are uncovered.

This was my first brew from RR(thanks to my good friend Jay & his bro for importing this from Philly), and while it isn't the beer I'd most like to try from them(PtE,PtY, hint;anyone want to trade?), nor a style I try a lot, I was highly impressed as I have had my fair share of wilds and this one FAR exceeds any of the others.

Batch #1 on tap at Monk's Cafe at their 3rd Annual Russian River Mad Monday

A- A dark redish/brown color, looks like a fine port wine, minimal bubbles from the top small thing lace.

S- The smell was amazing, cherries, muted with pino nior, oak, and malts, some funk and sweetness

T- The mix of cherries and Pino barrel together is amazing, oak hints as well as a small amount of vanilla sweetness.

M&D- Very smooth with a delicious sourness to it, you almost don't want to swallow it and just enjoy it in your mouth, the alcohol is very light, just an amazing beer, nothing like it out there

4.77/5  rDev +6%

Finally got around to drinking this... what an amazing beer.

Poured into a tulip glass, and that was the last time the beer would even mildly disappoint. A hazy light amber/brown (burnt sienna, we'll say) with a thin, waif-y head that disappears quickly. It looks fine, but if I wasn't sneaking glances back over at the bottle I wouldn't know quite what a treat I was in for.

The aroma is stunning. Sharp cherry tartness and other ripe fruit on a malty backbone with a distinct funk.

And it tastes even better... I was splitting this bottle with my girlfriend (damn my generous ways!) and it was all I could do not to gulp this down. Clean, crisp, refreshing! The funky sourness gives an awesome bite that never completely overpowers (this doesn't reach that "other" level of sourness achieved by, say, a nice geuze), and the cherry notes are carried high with the proper amount of sweetness, which isn't cloying or simple, but complex and full bodied, coats the tongue and lifts with an excellent level of carbonation. Oak-y astringency is just around the edges, rounding it off nicely. I couldn't be more pleased, particularly after Temptation set the bar so high. If I could afford to purchase by the case, I would.

Excessively drinkable, complex enough to handle a variety of duties in food pairing, you simply must try this beer. And Russian River simply must find a way to produce more of it.

12.68 oz bottle poured into tulip glass. Batch 7

A - Pours a hazy reddish orange with a one-finger, bubbly off-white head. Head dissipates rather quickly. Not much lacing. Copious amounts of carbonation could be seen shooting up the sides and center of the glass. Some sediment floating around.

S - What a pleasant aroma. Funky barnyard aromas from the Brett and an acidic sourness hit the nose. A tartness from the cherries is apparent. The barrel aging leaves a noticeable mark as well. Vinous qualities from the pinot noir along with some oak linger in the background.

T - Taste is just a pleasant. A wave of tartness from the sour cherries overcome the palate. Grape tannins and vinous elements break through midway to break up the tartness a bit. A lactic sourness combines with some Brett funk to finish it out. No mistaking here: this beer is tart and sour.

M - Crisp, light body with tons of prickly carbonation. A dry finish that left me wanting another sip. Very easy beer to drink, even for the tartness level.

O - Top notch. Vinnie and Russian River know how to make an outstanding beer. The pinot noir barrels and cherries really bring something special to this beer. Not just one of my favorite sours but one of my beers period. This one is not for someone trying to break into sours but an absolute must try for someone who appreciates the style. I just wish this beer wasn't so expensive.

4.77/5  rDev +6%

Small corked and caged 375ml. from batch #1. The cork comes out with quite a loud pop. Appears a murky deep orange with good sized off white head. Pretty good amount of sticky scattered lace covering the glass. The tart aroma hits you as soon as you pour this. As it warms funky yeast and woody scents come out more. Lighter notes of cherries and other lighter fruits appear at times as well. Flavor is equally complex with a big tartness and a smaller balancing sweetness coming on strongest. Plenty of interesting yeast things going on including the brett funkiness. Oak notes and sour cherries play into it as well. Some vinous notes at times. Dry sourness on the aftertaste. About a medium body with a dry, tart and tangy feel to it. I found it also quite refreshing. Very interesting stuff it keeps you coming back for more trying to figure out every thing that is going on. By the end of the glass though my palette seemed a bit wore out from all the flavors but I would have gladly drank a 750 of this. Excellent all around brew a must try.

4.77/5  rDev +6%

Batch 010, Poured into a tulip.

A: Hazy mahogany with amber highlights. 3 fingers of head that dissipates quickly. Moderate carbonation.

N: Sawdust, caramelized brown sugar, peach, nectarine and cherry as well as notes of chocolate and barnyard.

T: Upfront - Nectarine, lactic acid, lemon warheads and brown sugar along with hints of balsamic and sawdust.
Mid-palate - Sour cherry, red wine (Pinot Noir), hints of black currant and blueberry.
Finish - Chestnut, naked oak, hints of chocolate and tobacco. Lingering peaches and chestnuts.

M: Light bodied, tart, clean, slightly puckering and refreshing.

O: Extremely complex with a moderate sourness. Transforms multiple times throughout the palate. Big, oaky characteristics with a good emphasis on sweet red wine. A lot of fruity and nutty flavors going on as well. There's not as much barnyard as reviews suggest, more of a lactic sourness. Phenomenal!

4.77/5  rDev +6%

Batch 001. Poured at cellar Temp.

Aroma is very complex, Brett initially, some estery yeast character, malt and just a hint of fruit. Color is somewhere between amber and red. A little cloudy. Small but persistant head.

Initial flavor is fine sour cherry juice. Mid-palate, Brett takes over giving a tart and refreshing impression. There's a substantial caramel malt aftertaste. Further tasting includes nice oak and red-wine like flavors. No one of these flavors is dominant. They all combine to make-up an incredibly complex mixture.

Medium to full bodied. Fine evervescent carbonation. Creamy, not warming. Very pleasant to drink.

Really nice beer. Picked up a few extras to cellar. Wondering how the fruit will change as it's pretty subtle now. May fade entirely.

Batch 006x1

A- Hazy, reddish brown color with a finger of beige head.

S- Sour cherries and oak.

T- Wow! Mouth puckering, super tart, sour cherries at the start. Oak, acetic vinegar, and brett follow and the beer finishes with an astringent, lingering tart, sour cherry aftertaste. Exquisite!

M- Feel is medium with an effervescent level of carbonation which works perfectly here.

O- An amazing beer from Russian River. The super tart cherry flavors and prickly carbonation make this a joy to drink. Possibly my favorite sour from RR.

4.77/5  rDev +6%

This was one of the highlights of EBF 2010 for me.

A: Pours a bright golden yellow with lots of carbonation bubbles flying to the surface. A smallish white head sits atop the brew for the majority of the experience. Not much in the way of lacing.

S: As with most sours, I have trouble picking out individual aromas from this. The typical "sour" aroma from the wild yeast and bacteria is of course present. This is balanced by some sweet aromas. Apple is my best guess, mixed with perhaps some white grapes. I don't really get any cherry on the nose.

T: Truly a pleasure to drink. Sour apple dominates the flavor and great balance is achieved between the sweet fruit and sour funk/wild yeast. Each sip brings me to the brink of puckering, but touches of sweetness always prevent me from going over the edge. White grapes and pear can also be found in the flavor.

M: Light with a nice dry finish. Just like it should be.

D: I could drink this all day... and I did! Russian River seemed to have an endless supply of this stuff during both NoTB and session one. I came back from multiple samples :)

375 ml, Batch 4

Beer received in trade courtesy of khumbard- thanks for a great trade!

A: beer appears a hazy dark orangeish/red with a thin white head. Leaves sticky lacing and has decent head retention.

S: huge notes of acid and oak up front, tartness from the lactobacillus, notes of funk and brett come through at the end. The brett is nicely balanced with the oak and lactic character. Some notes of cherries and vanilla in there as well.

T: as the beer rushes past all of the taste buds, there is an initial puckering from the acidty while notes of oak, vanilla make an appearance as well. Like the nose, there is a mild brett character mid palate and a nice tart cherry finish. The finish leaves the palate begging for more. Very well balanced sour!

MF: high carbonation, light body, crisp and refreshing

D: this is an all around great sour.. you have the nice big puckering qualities paired perfectly with cherries and just enough brett to really keep things interesting.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company