Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

4.5

Reviews: 1,442 | Ratings: 6,152
4.57/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a schooner (not my first choice).
Deep copper in color with a thin, cream-colored, head, this had a softer nose than I expected; subdued scents of cherries and grapes, with a little bit of oak. On my initial taste the beer is only moderately tart, and flavors include cherries, grape must, and fresh blackberries from early in the season; it finishes dry with traces of oak. Hardly any sweetness at all. The carbonation I do sense quickly dissipates. Nearly as good as the bottle I remembered...

4.64/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a bright orange with minimal white head. Smell is very nice! Lemons, ripe pear, sour green apples, green grapes, tropical pine apple! Wow! So many smells coming and going! Taste is wow. Begins with a puckering lemon juice, hints of lime, white wine tropical notes of pine apple and a wonderful transition to a green apple finish. Mouthfeel is refreshingly carbonated... I am in love!

As much as i don't like to have superlative reviews, this beer definitely warrants one. Thanks again JCDenver for getting me this beer!!

Served chilled into Bruery tulip
Batch 6

*reviewed from memory of last night's impromptu sour tasting

Appearance: Earthy crimson color, with some definite influence from the barrel for color, and lots of ruby from the cherries. Awesome off-white head sticks around a while, and slowly recedes and leaves some pretty nice lacing. This beer certainly has a very "classic" appearance, for lack of a better word, and is a sexy beer to sit an look at.

Smell: Right off the bat, the cherries come through the nose very strongly, as does the oak. The beer is definitely holding some really vinous-pinot notes on the nose, along with some relatively tame "funk." The "funk" comes through to me, as a sort of clean earthiness, which compliments the cherry so well.

Taste: The cherries are definitely holding their own still! Nice and tart, leading into a more focused sourness which is accompanied by the oak. There are hints of a vanilla quality on the finish, which accompanied with the dryness, make for a really enjoyable sour experience. Makes me sad I only had one bottle of this, and a 12 oz. bottle at that...

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, while being a tad bit on the sticky side; which is very welcomed here. Very nice carbonation, and all the characteristics of sours working together to make this beer extremely enjoyable.

Overall: Simply amazing!! I had wanted to try this beer for a very long time, and upon finally getting the chance, i was worried i would have built it up too much in my expectations. Certainly not the case though, this is a stellar beer. I love the complexity that this beer holds, and i love knowing how much time and effort went into making it. I will without a doubt be getting this again in the near future...

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

On tap at Russian River 9-29-11

Poured an amber, reddish color with an off-white ring of head.

Smelled of tartness, fruit, and barnyard funk.

Tasted of sour cherries, green apples, grape, and wild yeast. Bready malt provides a slight balance. However, there remains a very strong acidic profile. Sour flavor lingers. It is well carbonated, and creamy.

This is my single favorite wild ale to date. The tartness is not overpowering, but instead mingles with the fruit and malt to allow for a high level of complexity. Very recommended!

4.99/5  rDev +10.9%

Supplication is a fine crafted beer, which provides you with a unique output. This beer is indeed a favorite, and I BELIEVE by far one of the best sours I've come across.

This beer when opened provided a great smell of tart and cherries. Moving foward, we poured the gleaming off centered gold into our tulip glasses. We then drank. As it hit my pallet I was amazed by the light sour yet flavorful filled beer that possesed me. Why not add that last cherry tart taste to top it off, well they did it and they Russian River did this one right.

Never would pass a bottle of this, I would never trade a bottle of this, and Never would I not open it for a very special occasion.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle recieved in trade. Thanks alexd3891.

A: Hazy amber with pink/brown color.

S: Sweet tart cherries with a nice underlying of musty funk.

T: Nice tart cherry flavor. Some funk, sour, oak, and cherry but it all is working well together. They balance each other out almost to perfection.

M: Rally nice combo or medium/light body and carbonation.

D: Really awesome beer. Had a 375 and wish it was a 750.

4.94/5  rDev +9.8%

This review is for batch 4.

A-A very unassuming pour. Not that bright just a yellow-orange liquid with a little white head that dissipates quickly.

S-Awesome. You first get the sour then the cherries come through.

T-SOur! Just like I like it. Kick you in your pants kind of sour. SLightly acidic with a little vinegar and of course the cherries are there.

M-Light bodied and highly carobnated.

D-So sour you can't drink a ton of this but that in no way is a bad thing.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%

The Beers of California

#64

Batch 008

A: Gorgeous deep amber to burgundy with an off white head of foam which dissipates quickly to a faint cling to the glass.

S: Mostly balsamic vinegar and wood with some tart cherries with touches of sweetness.

T: The base is wood, leather and earth, which loses itself in notes of acetic acid, cherry tartness, green grapes, sprinkles of sea salt, and sour funk from the yeast and bacteria. The pleasant sour bite is the focal point of this brew which is the base for the complexity from the Pinot barrels, cherries, and yeast / bacteria blend.

M: Medium bodied with a nice syrupy linger that is at the same time smooth with faint carbonation and almost no lace on the glass.

O: The melange of flavors sums to an indescribable concoction that grays the area between beer and wine. The product is a sour ale with flavors that are boldly distinct yet combine together with synergism. A wonderful brew that is a must try for all beer lovers out there.

4.18/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a corked bottle into my RR Belgian glass.

Appearance: Deep amber/ruby/almost reddish brown. See a lot of carbonation with a decent head. Head eventually recedes to an 1/8 head.

Smell: Cherries, yeast. Not impressed by the smell or appearance honestly.

Taste: This is where it gets better. Tartness hits you immediately. Immediate cherries into some sweet and sour apple. You can taste the wine from the wine barrels. It all works really well. Love the complexity.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation initially intimidated me but it all works really well. Medium bodied.

Overall: Not for the faint of heart. Wouldn't recommend this for someone's first sour. At the same time, I love the pinot barrel taste and the complexities. Not necessarily the best sour I've ever had but I would certainly recommend. Don't get why so many find this one "world class"...had many European sours that trump this one. Either way, I woould love to try this one on tap to see if I spot anything else. Good stuff.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

batch 007 poured into my stone snifter

a - pours a burnt autumn red with no head, although a steady stream of bubbles coming up

s - sour cherries and apple cider vinegar with a hint of caramel

t - amazing. super tart and mouth-puckering, plenty of apple cider vinegar mixed with lip-smacking cherries. on the sweeter side which complements the tart sourness nicely

m - dry, medium carbonation make this oh so drinkable, with the alcohol almost missing

o - it lives up to the hype. i'll always want more and always gladly will drink this stuff when i'm looking for my sour fix. typical russian river

4.23/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Batch 011615

This was my first American Wild Ale I have ever tasted and pretty damn good.

Definitely could taste the cherries, pinot noir and oak - Since this was my first time trying this I expected this to be super sour and tart, but it was perfectly balanced and not overbearingly sour. Definitely will have to get more of RR's beers!

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A. Copper hues pour without any semblance of foam but there is some trickling streams of bubbles spattered about. Slight haze.

S. Oak, earth, tart cherries, mild funk

T/M. Yum! A light tartness plays very well with a light cherry sweetness, dry oak along with the tartness give a puckering feel. Well carbonated and feels effervescent. As it warms, more barnyard funk comes out.

O. Quite delicious and I was very happy to drink it!

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

Thanks to JeffKenner for the chance to try this.

A- Poured from a 325ml bottle noted Batch #002 into a snifter. Pours a reddish-brown with no head just some small bubbles piled up on the side of the glass. This is a very hazy beer also.

S- Definite funk/sour in the nose. Not over-powering but very nice to me. I get cherries, melon, and apple. You know for sure you are in for a sour and tangy treat.

T- Apples at first followed by a sour cherry flavor. There is a pedio/lacto sourness throughout. This sour stays in your mouth and amplifies the other flavors. I don't taste an over strong acetobactor flavor in this. Vinnie has really kept the good bugs in and the bad ones out.

M- Incredible. Great natural carbonation with a very creamy mouthfeel. This really sticks around in your mouth but not to the point of being overly sweet or sour.

D- I could drink this all night. I really like this beer. If I was to be perfectly honest, I didn't like cherry flavor only a few months ago. I have really begun to enjoy cherry flavor in beer. This is an incredible beer. I wish I had a case!

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured a cloudy, bloodied bronze with one finger of head with decent retention.

The aroma is initially all lactic sourness, but this gives way to a big, musty, horse-funk that then dominates. There's a bit of warm, woody breadth in the back, and I'm looking for the cherries but I'm not finding them - yet...

Tingly-tart all over the tongue, and just when you recover, the brett-funk dryness comes in to attack. Despite the obvious and major role of lacto, brett, and pediococcus, the beer isn't *completely* dry. An impression of malt remains, along with a subdued but disctinct sweet fruit element (the cherries?)

Another amazing, boundary-pushing beer from Vinnie. I only wish I had another bottle to cellar. I have a strong suspicion that this beer will become doubly amazing with a few years on it...

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Received in a recent trade with colonelforbin. I've been waiting to try one of these and am damn excited to crack it open! Have a few more coming soon! Split with friends during our Wednesday gathering. Poured into my Portsmouth snifter.

Looks a murky, hazy orange-brown with a fizzy, sand-colored head made of loosely packed bubbles: Champagne-esque. This is one cloudy beer...of course, I ignored the label and dumped all of that goodness into the glass! Thick spotted lacing was left behind - I drank this one pretty quickly and there was quite a bit lacing around at the end!

I absolutely love that funky smell that comes from the brettanomyces and the lactobacillus. Nobody does it better than Vinnie. There is definitely a smell coming from the cherries - a bit of fruity sweetness. I'm not generally very good at discerning the wood smell in beers, but this one is obvious. Smells great!

Ah, just as I had hoped! A tiny prologue of sweetness before that tart blast! The cherries are a bit more subdued than I anticipated, but I appreciate that...I'm not a fan of sweet beers so this one makes the cut. While the cherries are a bit more subtle, the wood is definitely not - it is obviously in there. And the light wine qualities are certainly around as well. Light, puckering, tart, and full of good. And it all lingers. The fizzy carbonation does not detract...pretty much expected with the style.

Overall, I must admit that I was extremely impressed with this beer. I absolutely love Russian River's Temptation, and Supplication is right there with it. I really need to compare side by side. It's a damn shame the price tag is what it is...oh yeah, and that it isn't available in Indiana. Outstanding!

Consumed: 3/31/2010

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle batch 004x1 purchased at Capone's last week.
Poured into an oversized wine glass. Great copper color with a minimal beige head that didn't last long. Minor lacing down the glass. Smells great, big burst of cherries, wood and some funkiness. The taste is where this beer really shines in my book. It's dominated by cherries with a great sourness but nothing over the top. Very, very delicious beer. I felt like I was flying through this beer so I had to slow myself down to really enjoy it. Mouthfeel is excellent as well. The carbonation is spot on and it has a sort of champagne quality that coast your tongue. Drinkability is off the charts in my opinion. Feel like I could sip on this all day long. Temptation and consecration were very good but I think supplication is my favorite of the 3. I will get more, highly recommended.

4.14/5  rDev -8%

Batch 005x4, poured into a snifter.

Murky brown in color, dark orange/red/rust when held to the light.  Aggressive pour yields a finger thick off white head with settles to a film.

The nose is strong, I can smell it while it sits at the table.  Right up front is a winey character, and strong notes of oak aging.  Sour dark cherries, Brett, and maybe some other dark fruits.

The taste is immediately sour cherries and a nice oak background.  The sour tartness hangs on to the end.  The finish is sour and very funky.

Mouthfeel is effervescent and full bodied.  Missing the light refreshing feel I like in my sours.

Overall, another nice sour offering from Russian River.  Although this one is pretty straight forward sour cherries on oak, it's nice.

4.77/5  rDev +6%

12.68 oz bottle poured into tulip glass. Batch 7

A - Pours a hazy reddish orange with a one-finger, bubbly off-white head. Head dissipates rather quickly. Not much lacing. Copious amounts of carbonation could be seen shooting up the sides and center of the glass. Some sediment floating around.

S - What a pleasant aroma. Funky barnyard aromas from the Brett and an acidic sourness hit the nose. A tartness from the cherries is apparent. The barrel aging leaves a noticeable mark as well. Vinous qualities from the pinot noir along with some oak linger in the background.

T - Taste is just a pleasant. A wave of tartness from the sour cherries overcome the palate. Grape tannins and vinous elements break through midway to break up the tartness a bit. A lactic sourness combines with some Brett funk to finish it out. No mistaking here: this beer is tart and sour.

M - Crisp, light body with tons of prickly carbonation. A dry finish that left me wanting another sip. Very easy beer to drink, even for the tartness level.

O - Top notch. Vinnie and Russian River know how to make an outstanding beer. The pinot noir barrels and cherries really bring something special to this beer. Not just one of my favorite sours but one of my beers period. This one is not for someone trying to break into sours but an absolute must try for someone who appreciates the style. I just wish this beer wasn't so expensive.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Light head upon pour. Falls to a nice mat of foam around the rim of the glass. Laces very well. Amazing rich auburn color.

S- Wonderful aroma. Tart cherries. Wet dog and Sweet hay.

T- This is a wonderful experience its a bit more tart then Temptation but its a nice play on a sour. The sweet cherries come through nicely. Sweet malt

M - Lovely tang on the tongue. Plenty of carbonation.

O - This is an amazing sour. I wish I had move.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

Graduation Sour Tasting. Split 4 ways. This was the last of the 20 or so sours we tasted over 8 1/2 hours. Thanks again to rhinos00, pecorasc, and beace for making this epic tasting happen!

A: Dark carmel color. Slightly hazy. Nice white head with some decent lacing.

S: Smell some caramel malts and funkiness with some cherry and dark fruit undertones.

T: Very crisp tasting beer. Lots of tart cherry and funk flavors.

M: Nicely carbonated and good full body.

D: Very drinkable. This sour was refreshing and a really great beer. Wished I had more, but my stomach was about to punch me in the face if I drank anymore sour beer. A great ending to an epic sour tasting that I will never forget.

2.1/5  rDev -53.3%

A. Semi peachish amber color. Pours with plenty of head, roughly 1.5 fingers.

Smell. You sure this is beer? lol. Smells of heavy influence of the wine barrel. Slight tone of fruit.

Taste. WOW. Holey f*ck. 4 years ago, regardless of the $12 price point I would have poured this beer out. Now, understanding the process that made this beer it is impressive. This is a palette cleanser. This is like wine and beer had an affair and this is the illegitimate child from that process. Very tart and sour with plenty of pinot noir tones.

Mouthfeel. Tart, dry, semi bitter. SOUR. very nice.

Overall: If you are in search of a sour beer, this is one of the tops, This will light your taste buds up like licking a 9 volt battery!And thats about it, not much for flavor, price point is off by a mile, and this is something that you would rather have a sample of, not too many people would sit down and enjoy this beer IMO, this is one you split between 5 or 6 people just to say you've had it.

4.51/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Beautiful cloudy red orange color with off-white head. Micro bubble carbonation. When the glass is tilted, the bubbles cling to the side and shimmer on the way back to the liquid. The head is thin but lasts until the end.

S: Sour, berrylike smell. Oak and sharp yeast.

T: Very tart candy sourness from the start. Some woody notes, fruit, light alcohol, and not much else. This beer is much more simple than I thought it would be from everyone elses description, but it is still very good. To me, it does taste like something is missing...

M: Crisp crisp crisp. Clean and tingly and bubbly.

D: Very high. I would drink this by the pitcher if it were possible. A really great beer. I love sours, and this one is no exception. However, I don't think it is the sour that all others should be judged by.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

A - Crystal clear reddish orange with lots of carbonation and a few fingers fizzy head. Nice.

S - Some nice sour funk and cherry tartness. As it warms up the cherry comes out more.

T - Quite good -- lots of tart, sour cherry, sour funkiness, and more sour. Not quite mouth-puckering, but quite sour. Some hints of oak, and a base of simple, sweet malt underneath it all. Reminiscent of a kriek, but the cherry isn't quite so prominent and there's a bit of oak. Really tasty.

M - Medium mouthfeel, rather smooth, but with quite a bit of carbonation. A touch of acidity on the back of my tongue. It fits the beer wonderfully.

Overall, tasty tasty. I love Russian River wilds.

4.12/5  rDev -8.4%

Forewarning: my review is going to fall off the grid.

First, for the standard analysis: this beer fares well on all criteria, pours a lovely dark brown into my Duvel chalice, good head. Nice, complex aroma with cherry, wine overtones. Lovely taste, complex tartness, this beer tracks its strong Belgian heritage and then adds something. This is, of course, something to be savored to the full--a dessert beer, really.

My objection to this beer is simple and straightforward. I love both wine and beer, but this one toes the line uncomfortably close to wine territory in my view. The dominant flavors here are, plainly, largely from being aged in wine barrels (one can pick that out immediately). As my review above states, this is a fine tasting beer and I'd gladly have it again but bluntly if this is the flavor I am craving, I'd rather have a nice glass of Rioja or Cotes du Rhone than this (which, by the way, is equally if not more costly).

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks again to ales4baldo for this awesome wild ale!
Poured from the bottle to a tulip glass.
Pours a nice deep redish brown with orange hues when up to the light. I got a one finger head from a pretty vigorous pour that then disappears to nothing with no lacing.
Nose is bright with fruit, candy sugars, tart apple, cranberry defiantly a little yeasty funk, and a hint of oak.
Flavor defiantly shows off the tart cherries. I get some nice sour apple, and cranberry but it has an interesting fresh fruit juice in the middle. I can defiantly pick up on some oak.
Mouthfeel is pretty nice, almost a cider like feel with a medium high level of carbonation. I defiantly get a nice lingering bitterness and tartness.
Overall an awesome brew. Really complex but very well balanced. I Love a good sour and this has topped them all so far!
Thanks Baldo!