Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

Alströms:

Ratings: 6,361 |  Reviews: 1,468

3.25/5  rDev -28.7%

4.89/5  rDev +7.2%

Goblet, batch 04XI Thanks ksullnh!

A: Gentle pour yields 1/4 finger of fizzy tan head with poor retention - I'd like more and better retention. Is that possible with sour beers? Clear light brown liquid with some red and amber highlights. Color is great, which brings my rating up from a 3.5 to a 4.0.
S: Citrus, lemon zest. Slight aspirin? Slight bread. So intriguing and inviting.
T: Delicious! Perfect tasting sour brown (which I thought it was!), sourness and sweetness mix perfectly, like lemonade almost. Slight whole wheat breadiness in the aftertaste. Some Atomic Warhead candy in aftertaste too. Apple cider, woody, grapeskin.
M: Expectorant, tart, dry
D: So nice. I'd definitely order another and will buy again when I can!

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Batch 003
A: Brown body with reddish hints. small off white head, little lacing.

S: Sour cherries, oak, apple cider, slightly wine-like in feel.

T: This is the epitome of wine smoothness and beer complexity. Sour and tart fruits up front, with a hint of bitterness. Lots of cherry flavors. Some wine like acidity from the barrel aging. Delicious.

M: Smooth. Flavors seamlessly transition on the tongue. The tart and sourness is not overwhelming, but distinctive enough to make this beer special.

D: I had no problem putting this bottle down... and would have another if it wasn't so pricey.

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%

Last review from notes and then I think I'm all caught up. Consumed 5/28/2010 at The Broad Axe Tavern (couldn't believe they had this in the bar. Also couldn't believe the price). 375 ml. bottle marked Batch 04x2. Unfortunately the bartender must not have known anything about this beer as she presented it in a pint glass. Hoping it doesn't detract from the experience...

A - Slightly amber-yellow color with a fluffy creamy colored head that fades quite quickly leaving very little lacing. Despite the pint glass, it looks very inticing.

S - Wow. Woody, oak, and brett right up front. Vinous as well (as hoped) as the pinot noir deffinitely comes out as does the cherris. Really smells quite fantastic.

T - Extremely well balanced combination of woody oak, cherries, brett and lacto. Very bright and fruity wuth the cherries being oh so tasty. Everything seems to be working so well together. The sourness actually stays with you throughout the entire bottle which I found very nice.

M - Very carbonated and it works quite well. Medium bodied and actually quite silky despite the carbonation. Lactic acid bite at times in the throat, but nothing that detracts from the beer.

D - Very drinkable beer, especially for a sour. Everything is so well balanced that it makes it easy to drink the whole way through. Really can't wait to stock up on a few bottles of this baby.

Batch #005x4

Had at Monk's Cafe, my first ever Russian River sour, I trembled with excitement as my waitress brought it to my table.

A- It pours a dark cherry red, almost ruby, with an active head that sticks around the whole time, though never exceeds more than half an inch. Lacing sticks to the cup all the way.

S- Some barnyard funkiness, but not as much as I would have guessed. Still, the brett is there enough to let me know this is a great sour before I even taste it. Lemon juice, vinegar, sour cherries, oak, and candy all are present.

T- oh man! awesome sour taste here, mouth-puckering but really not overpowering. The barrel-aging is worth it, because earthy, oaky char comes through to balance the acidic sourness. I don't drink much wine, but I detect some wine like characters too. Probably the most complex sour I've had, since sourness is only one feature of the multifacted flavor. Mouthfeel is good too, very carbonated.

O- I have read and read and read about Russian River this, Russian River that. Well, there is a reason people are talking, this might be the best beer I have ever had.

4.03/5  rDev -11.6%

batch 006 x1

appearance - head wasnt too big but my god does it stick around. very fizzly, and an odd orange, amber, burgandy in color. lacing was really solid, everytime i took a drink itd stay on the side for several minutes.

smell - sour cherries, some charddonay, pinot noir, some pears, minor vinegar, nothing comes out strongly, a bit too light for me.

taste - much like the smell. not as impressed as i hoped. not as much wine as i hoped. quite a bit of cherries.

mouthfeel - very light body. great carbonation. a bit puckering.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

Batch 007. Poured from a bottle into a Brooklyn tulip. Beautiful clear,dark copper-amber color with a thin head. The nose is extremely active. There are notes of cherries, bubblegum, sour apples, candy, and a definite barnyard funk, all harmoniously blended together.

The flavor is highly acidic and slightly tannic. I get flavors of tart cherries in the front of my mouth, then at mid-palate the beer takes on a stony champagne-like dryness. It has an excellent finish. The acidity dries your mouth and the sour cherry and champagne flavors linger for a long time, making you practically salivate for another taste. The beer has a light to medium body, but is not as highly carbonated as I expected it to be. It is extremely easy to drink.

This is a world class beer. The flavor is aggressively sour, but there's an underlying sweetness and a nice dry finish to complement the tartness. It's one of the most refreshing beers I've ever had and is very reminiscent of Rodenbach Grand Cru (in overall drinking experience if not in flavor). Every beer fan should seek this one out and try it at least once. I can't imagine how difficult this beer must be to make.

3.5/5  rDev -23.2%

4.51/5  rDev -1.1%

A-beautiful mahogany colored with a thin cream colored head. very pretty.

S-smells like tart cherries with a hint of caramel.

T-comes in with a great tastes of really fresh tart cherries. its a subtle taste but one of great quality. the after-taste is just perfect. great candied cherries and flavored sugars, possibly vanilla? just great

M-medium to heavy carbonation with a very dry finish

O-well this is almost perfect. this is an absolutely and amazing and unique beer. i love it so much. i'd like the initial hit to be more powerful, but the after-taste is so strong and long lasting. its definitely very dry. i would recommend this to sour lovers and non believers alike.

4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

Bottled 12/17/12. Poured into snifter glass. Beer had the color of dark orange or dark ruby-like. A couple mm thick head is present. It's a pretty solid foam that appears to be going no where for a while. There is some sediment at the bottom but partly my fault the way I poured it.

Smell: Definitely funky! It's honestly hard to describe but the best I can come up with is fermented tart cherries. Just taking a whiff of this smell and I think whoa something was a lot of fermentation happening in there. There is also notable wine characteristics.

Taste: At first when I take a sip, the sourness and tartness just slaps me across the face. It's almost pungent but in a palatable way plus a bitter component as I move the beer around the mouth. Plenty of sweetness, possibly from the cherries. Wow! Every swallow of a mouthful of this beer is one attack after another. It stays tart the entire time. There are also tart cherries that is easily noticeable. I'm new to sours but this really impressed me. After I finish a sip of the beer I get some flavor of dried cherries at the back of the tongue. The acidity of this beer stays after I finish the sip.

Mouthfeel: it has a medium mouthfeel to it and moderately carbonated.

Overall: This is one heck of a sour beer. Like I said, I've never had many sours so I won't ever forget this one. I hope I can get this again.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company