Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

4.5

Reviews: 1,442 | Ratings: 6,151
4.55/5  rDev +1.1%

375mL bottle of Russian River Supplication - batch number 8.

Appearance: Supplication pours an interesting blood orange color that produces a frothy off-white head that slowly fizzles down to a thin, film-like layer.

Smell: there's a bit of funkiness in the nose.. Pinot Noir barrels inoculated with brettanomyces makes for a very nice aroma.

Taste: Supplication's fruit juiciness really sets it apart from the much drier Consecration; the sour cherries seem to enhance this barrel aged offering in a way that currants simply cannot. The wine barrel adds another layer of complexity by imparting its oakiness and Pinot Noir flavors.. and the bacteria (lacto and pedio) adds a very pleasant sourness to this stellar wild ale.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with plenty of carbonation (refermented in the bottle).

Overall: Supplication is surprisingly refreshing.. and complex. Truly a world-class beer.

3.92/5  rDev -12.9%

Part IV of epic RR tasting including Tempt, Sancti, Beati, Suppl, and Consec. I'm re-reviewing this one because I feel that my initial review was done too early in my BA days, prior to tasting any other sours, and prior to having a more refined palate.

Dark copper, reddish brown with a persistent haziness. Supplication pours with a one and a half finger head that quickly fades to a thin film that remains for the rest of the drink. Sour cherries, musty wood, vines, slight malts, dark chocolate, raspberries, and booze. Sour cherries and ripe lemons up front followed by a funky mustiness and some alcohol heat. The aftertaste is rich in bread, sweet cherries, a touch of cinnamon, and a lingering sour must. A drinkable beer.

3.89/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 375 ml bottle into a tulip glass. The initial burst of air from the bottle had loads of cherry smell in it. Poured into the glass it more of a sour/vinegar brow ale smell. Taste was actually kind of bitter, some pinot noir and cherry but not sour at all. Well crafted but not a big fan of the flavor.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Props to WarriorSoul for the bottle!
Poured into my wide-mouth Duvel tulip.
Poured a very murky orangy-apple cider color. Minimal head with a ton of small bubbles. The very fine lace stayed throughout and re-emerges with gentle encouragement.
There is a galaxy of tiny black specs floating throughtout the beer, but settled to the bottom. Yeast? Cherry pit scrapnel? Not sure what it is. Had no adverse effects on this beer.
Nose of sour cherry and earthy yeast mustyness. Enjoyably tart. Very vinous and smells of a well made hard cider.
Not exactly sure how to catagorize what I'm tasting. It's unlike any beer I've ever tried before. Sour wild cherry and Brett takes presidence, along with musty fruit-cake, minus the nuts. Subdued hoppiness but there is a malty sweetness. Quite dry and woody. My vocabulary cannot express what I'm actually tasting. So much complexity here. Maybe it's not meant to be described.
Very drinkable, smooth dry body. At 7% I wasn't expecting anything too heavy. Mouthfeel reminded me of a nice dry cider.

Awsome beer from Russian River and Vinnie. Like I said before, unlike anything I've previously had. Almost too good for words.

I was sunday schooled today @ Tria in Philly. Can you believe it this was the beer offering- bottles at cost, and people drinking this as common as yuengling or ___! Now this place is a beer as well as wine and cheese counesouers trifecta- but come on! Amazing offering of an amazing beer. I 've had Pliny the elder and Dammnation and have enjoyed those- but I have to honestly say, and I've drunk enough beer and reviewed a scant number here(though generally only those that really stand out)- this may have been the best I've had yet.
Color- a honied amber- beautiful. Creamy subtle head poured silkily into a a tapered wine glass...
Aroma- of port and cherries and an aluring sweetness
First tast-incredible balanced depth. good warming alchohol and cherries- di I say cherries- wonderful nuancied cherries, but better than any Kriek- Rodenbach/New Glarus souped up wth La Fin du Monde. Wonderful, wonderful special occasion beer. Paired well with the French terriorfamhouse cheese and gargonzola/fig brushetta...
There has been much love, sweat, detail, patence, and time put forth into this brew. This is truly exceptional offering from what I am experiencing to be atrul exceptional, creative daring brewery. TRY IT and SAVOR! Wonderful!!

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Pours a nice murky reddish brown with thick creamy head with loads of lace.

S: Smell is of tart cherries and oak. There is a little funk, but not overwhelming. Lovely.

T: Sweetness, then loads of tart followed with a very nice oaky taste. Really nice.

M: Medium to light mouthfeel with lots of carbonation.

D: Great beer. 375ml is just about right unless shared (I shared a few drinks with my wife).

Batch 004x1 from the bottle on Easter.

A: Pours a beautiful dark golden brown, with a ruby hue. The head sticks around a very long time, and leaves sticky lacing on the walls of the glass.

S: Funk leads the charge, followed by a potent tart cherry. There is sone band-aid in the middle. Sweet cherries wrap up the nose.

T: There isn't as my funk as the nose suggests, it's more acidic. Dark fruits dominate tour mid-palate, mostly cherries and plums, before giving way to some funk at the end.

M: Prickly carbonation assists the various flavors. Medium bodied.

D: After having Batch 005 on tap yesterday, I'd say the fresher this beer, the better. When the beer is fresh, the fruit flavors or more vibrant, but the sourness and funkiness levels are a little less abrasive. This beer is delicious at any age, but out of the three batches I've had, I'd rank them in the following order (best to worst): 003, 005, 004

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

This beer was exceptional! I always look forward to finding a Russian River sour beer and this beer is a huge reason. Tons of fruit balanced with some malty sweetness and a bright puckering sour that leaves you wanting more. A must try for anyone wanting to try some sour beers. Reminded me a little of the Duchesse de Bourgogne but with even more sour and a little less fruity.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

Enjoyed from a 375mL bottle (Batch 04x2) in a tulip glass. Dark amber in color with one finger of light tan head, fading into a nice cap and lacing. Smells of oak, tart cherries, and funk, but primarily cherries. Taste is mouth puckeringly tart: sour cherries, oak, and a bitter, tannic finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with ample carbonation. As much as I love everything about this beer, it can be very hard to drink. An excellent brew all around!

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

Review #5
Batch 004x5 - 375ml

I had yet to try this beer and recently acquired my first one through a trade (thanks 6DaysBottomOcean!). I couldn't hold out for too long and decided to crack this one open tonight.

Upon removing the cage, just the slightest bit of force sent the cork flying.

A - Pours a deep amber with ruby highlights when held to the light. Pillowy off-white one-finger head that slowly dissipates to reveal itself, leaving sticky lacing around the glass.

S - Tart cherries, pinot, oak from the barrels that nursed this beer as it aged. The funk from the Brett is evident, though balanced nicely.

T - Sweet, tart cherries. Sour, yet balanced extremely well with the oak, I pick up hints of vanilla. Finish is dry, my mouth is watering, craving more.

M - Medium bodied, wonderful carbonation that truly is an asset to the complex flavors at play.

O - This beer is truly a treat and one that I will be seeking out in earnest.

4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

Great offering from Russian River.

A - Good orange / amber hued beer with a thin white head quickly dissipating

S - Good sourness here with a underlying depth. Not as snappy as some other wild ales

T - Very tasty brew. You can taste the depth that comes from the oak aging, and the slight cherrry tartness is very complimentary to the sourness of the Brett.

M - Crisp, tart mouth feel with good carbonation

D - Could drink this consistently, if it weren't made in CA and not the easiest to get around me. This may not be the best sour beer that I have had, but certainly highly drinkable an a great offering from RR

3.72/5  rDev -17.3%

Supplication comes in a pricey little 375 mL bottle. (I think I paid $12.00?) The bottle looks neat though, with a long, bulged neck like a miniature version of it's 750 mL big brothers. Corked and caged. Served at 47┬░F.

A: Uncorked, revealing a swirling mist in the bottle. Pours into my NB goblet a cloudy, light copper, peachy brown, that's too dark for an amber but lighter than a typical brown. A creamy, one-finger sandstone head emerges, with just a tinge of pink.

S: Sour cherries, which undoubtedly had been eagerly anticipating uncorking, fill the room before the pour. This brew is almost overwhelmingly sour and complex. The nose is packed with vinegar, as well as clove, cinnamon, Morello cherries, and a slight, salty, barnyard funk. Overall the smell is an intense sour acid with accents of warm, herbal Christmas notes. The background spice is phenolic and slightly solventy.

T: The taste is predominantly dry, woody, and tart. It's very complex, but it's a well past center on the sour scale, so it's hard for me to decide if I love it or not. The carbonation and sourness hit first, but then a solventy hotness follows. The flavor also finishes with more fresh-cut oak and vanilla than any other sour I've tasted.

M: This wild is highly carbonated, so the effervescence foams in the throat and causes major burpage. The bubbles from the foam nucleate and explode in the mouth, but the cream makes the bursting bubbles and ensuing foam stick to your mouth and throat. There is also enough sourness to bring on some puckering and pangs in the jaw.

D: I would say drinkability is severely limited on cost alone, but as far as the beer itself goes, the real factor is your appreciation of very sour beers. I tend to avoid more acidic beer styles like Flanders Red, but I would consider this to be right at my limit for sourness. Medium.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

10oz pour at Monk's Cafe. While I noticed some marked differences between this and the batch 3 bottle I had last year, I wasn't aware that I was drinking Batch 1 (4.5 years old) until later in the afternoon. Especially with all of the talk that batch 4 is very pungently cherried, I assumed I was having delusions or that Younger had wrecked my palate, neither of which is true.

A- Pours a brownish amber with 1-finger of off white head, which is very spritzy and dissipated quickly leaving sticky, streaky lacing.

S- Huge lactic character with a slightly vinegary aroma (which is much more pronounced that I remember from the fresher bottle I sampled.) I wrote in my notes that I got no cherry whatsoever in the nose, due to the overpowering lactic sourness and this makes perfect sense in retrospect. The old wood and vinegar that followed the sourness are much more welcome with the knowledge that this beer had been aged for 4.5 years.

T- Initially, I get an ever-so-slight fruitness, which I wouldn't even single out as cherries except for the fact that I know this beer is aged with cherries. The Pinot Noir barrels may play a role in this initial fruiting as well. The fruit immediately gives way to the huge lacto sourness I have already alluded to in the smell category. In the finish, I get a lot of the vinegar flavor, which is much more intertwined with the woodiness and marked leathery flavors making it much more enjoyable than in the nose.

MF- Spritzy mouthfeel with a medium body. The fresh consecration I sampled right after this was slightly syrupy for my liking, but this was pretty much the perfect viscosity for this beer.

D- Slightly more acidic that I would like to the point where it had a burn that was slightly more on the esophagus than most any sour I have tasted. This is not to say that it was more sour or worse, it just burned a little. Other than that one downside, however, the beer was extremely drinkable and has held up VERY nicely.

3.94/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

darkish, yet bright red. casts a reddish pink when light beams through it. highly carbed in this tiny bottle. White head fizzed up and quickly dissipated.

smells like a cherry truffle...also a bit of the wood on the nose.

Bubbles like an alka seltzer in my mouth. Nice sour cherry flavor...bit of a bite and a hint of the oak at the end.

Astringent mouthfeel and so carbonated.

Good sour, though this 375 ml bottle is plenty for me...would gladly share it.

I like it, but Consecration is still tops for me when it comes to the RR 'tions.

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

I had this beer on-tap at the Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa, CA in August 2010. It was part of a sampler of all the beers that they had on-tap that day. I also had this beer on-tap in a regular sized pint.

The beer poured to be an amber color and it had fairly strong aroma of cherries. The taste was slightly sweet and was light in body. This beer was extraordinary and was easy to drink. I loved this beer and I would highly recommend it.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to TicoCali for this.

Pours a quite transparent burnt umber. Very attractive. Not much head to speak of. Just a whisper of off-white that dissipates immediately. Lots of cherries in the initial nose, but that gives way to both a sharpness of what I guess would be the pinot barrels and a bluntness of wood (guess what that's attributed to). I don't know if brett's involved, but there is a layer of funk in the nose, as well. There is a robustness to the nose, like vanilla-coated cranberries. Holy moly, this is a great sour. Just a wisp of sweetness at the start and then a torrent of pucker grabs your tongue. Getting some green apple-type pucker with deeper raisin and wine notes. At the very end, there's a semi-thick layer that blunts the sour onslaught and invites a new sip. Very interesting how much the middle bounces off the tongue and how buoyant this sour is. Great stuff.

Like It? Yes, Of Course

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I mean, what more is there to say about this beer that hasn't already been said? It's fabled, it's revered, it's adored and rightly so! Poured from a 375ml bottle into a Russian River "tion" glass. Batch 005x3.

Poures a purplish magenta with a thin white head that dissipates to just form a crown around the glass of pure white bubbles. I've never seen a beer with the depth of color this one has, ever.

The nose is the best part. You immediatly get the sour, funky characteristics but they're all bound together with this extremely prominent red wine characteristic. Tons of oak, slight vanilla, and a not-too-well hidden tartness. Amazing what's going on here.

The taste is a journey on it's own. Initially when I sip this beer there is a wonderful red wine characteristic married with the oakiness that lends an almost sweet tone to the beer but then the tartness from the bugs takes over and just enhances the previous flavors amazingly without the sweetness getting out of control. Finishes extremely dry. Perfect carbonation.

Like I said, what else can you say about Supplication or Russian River as it is? They're super hyped and deserve that hype. Supplication is probably the best American Wild Ale in existence. I need to buy this by the case. So in love.

4.71/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

375ml corked bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

A- Pours a pretty reddish-brown color with a thin half-inch head that dissipated rather quickly. Not much lacing, but I was drinking it from a hotel glass of dubious cleanliness. Minimal but sufficient effervesence.

S- Definitely started with the unmistakable odor of sweet and sour cherries, with fruity notes that smacked of raisins, dates, and currants. I caught some sweet malt back there, too, but it was elusive.

T- Wow...clean, dry, tart...reminded me of a fine champagne. Very complex with a nice fresh finish that left me wanting another sip. As I savored it, I also was reminded of a fleeting bourbon-like woody taste, with a faint but perceptible spiciness. Overall, a great balance between all the flavors.

M- Outstanding. Not too thin, very crisp and dry, the tartness faded quickly, leaving a clean puckering feeling to my mouth.

O- I picked this one up from a Denver liquor store, and I had to ask for Russian River products, which they had stashed in the back. Now I know why. I wasn't disappointed. American Wid Ales are just awesome, and this is my second brew from the style. Overall, absolutely incredible, to be enjoyed any time of year. Absolutely delicious and highly recommended.

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%

Reviewing from notes a week or so ago. Batch 003

A - Tangerine-to-caramel with an off-white head

S - apple, pear, yeast, pepper

T - Tart like sour apple, tangerine tind (a bit sharper than orange, so I'm guessing here), lots of dried apricot especially at higher temps, very sour cherries, slight funky note that morphs into a meaty taste - like proscioutto and melon. Quite a bit going on

M - thin and bubbly with a "10% juice" backbone (i guess that means slight syrup underneath)

D - quite high - almost puckeringly sour at first, but refreshing. High temps it becomes a bit too much like juice

Thanks to BBothen for the chance to try this

4.03/5  rDev -10.4%

I poured the contents of a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. The head filled it to the rim, then settled to a dense 1/4" lacy layer. The color was a light orangy-copper color. I held the beer up to the light and saw a swirling cloudiness that made it seem like something significant was going on inside that glass. I was anxious to proceed.

I perceived the odor as a mixture of cherries and pine.

Upon entering my mouth, the first sensation I felt was tartness, extreme tartness to the point where could actually feel the glands in my neck swelling from the shock. I quickly identified the source of this tartness as a cherry flavor which gradually became sweeter and more soothing as my taste buds adjusted. Mixed with this was a flavor reminiscent of champagne.

It was very abrasive on the palate, acidic, somewhat vinegary, somewhat heavy on the carbonation.

Tart cherries? Acidic? Vinegary? Abrasive? Despite all of these seemingly deterrent qualities, I actually enjoyed this one. It went down more easily with each sip, and not just because the alcohol was taking effect. I liked that the cherry flavor was tart rather than sweet, as it tasted more genuine and better complemented the other intense flavors.

Supplication is unlike anything I've ever had; in a blind taste test, I'd wonder if this was, in fact, a beer, and not some other category of alcohol with which I'm not familiar. Maybe I'm just not that well versed in high quality brown ales, or maybe this one's just in a league of its own.

I decided not to read the bottle before trying this so as not to bias
my senses, but now that I read the description--the year of aging, the winemaking background of the brewer, the similar process to champagne making--I understand why this beer tastes so unusual.

I'll definitely pick this one up again on occasion, and I'd like to try it with a heavy meal, perhaps some tri-tip and mashed potatoes.

3.91/5  rDev -13.1%

I acquired this one in a trade from solomongrundy. Awesome trader, thanks again!!! Poured from 375 ml bottle into a chalice. It pours a beautiful pinkish orange with a fizzy white head that disappears rather quickly. Very Tony bubbles of carbonation. It smells of sour cherry and musty yeast. Mild scent of oak is there as well. Wow... Very tart. I'm not really a big sour fan but I've had a few and have begun to appreciate the style. Lots of sour cherry and wine flavors. Mild oak flavors hang on the tongue. This is a palate scrubber. It will obliterate any beer you've had throughout the night. One of the better ones I've had. Very acidic and dry. Tasty, but just not my favorite style.

4.32/5  rDev -4%

Bought a 375mL bottle at Capone's...needed to try this before committing to a case. Batch 04x1 poured from the corked and caged bottle into my Troegs pint glass.

Appearance: Small off-white head on top of a copper colored beer with a reddish hue to it. Lots of active carbonation bubbles steaming up the sides of the glass. Slightly hazy. Real solid lacing.

Smell: A lot of pinot noir wine barrel in the nose. Hints of cherry and some tartness and funk in the background. Mild earthy aroma, but pretty sweet. Very complex nose on this one.

Taste: Very interesting. Kind of a sweet funkiness on the back of my tongue with a good amount of those pinot noir barrel and cherry flavors coming through. Not very sweet at all, just mild amounts from the cherry and oak. Finishes with a good sour bite and leaves tart cherry flavors behind.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and medium carbonation. Very refreshing despite its acidity. Sour kick in the back end gives it great balance.

Drinkability: High for a sour. The ABV is not oppressive and its smooth and balanced nature make it easy on the palate.

Very good sour. Perhaps not as good as Temptation in my mind (which is just phenomenal) but a very solid offering worthy of the price (whatever it may be).

A - Pours a surprisingly dark and malty, hazy ruby copper with a smallish light tan head that recedes at a slightly slower than normal pace to a thin fiml of microbubbles.

S - A pretty sour cherry kick in the nose that gets stronger as it warms. Only hints of funk with a slight vinegar character, a tad musty.

T - Sour sun-turned cherries, lime, and lemon zest. Oak has rounded this beer nicely. The barnyard indeed comes out here too as it warms, but never too much.

M - A little heavy for the style, but the relatively high carbonation helps to create a nice balance.

D - This brew is delicious, but far from the most complex sour I've had. It's a kriek alright, but not much more. I would seek out again, but wouldn't go too far to get it.

4.02/5  rDev -10.7%

Acquired in a trade from Emmasdad, thanks! Poured from a 12.68 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice.

Appearance: Looks like a deep brown apple cider. When held up to the light it glows dark red. Pours a fingers worth of light brown/tan head. Very dense. It fades slightly but clings to the outside of the glass and remains throughout the drink.

Smell: Cherries and citrus dominate. Some apple as well. Smells like a wine, very robust, makes my mouth water.

Taste: Sour, very sour, plenty of tart cherries, green apples as well. Alcohol comes through in the middle. The oak comes out really strong as well with the tannin. Again, makes my mouth water, the flavors are so strong. Also has a pucker effect.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a medium to high carbonation. The sourness and the tannin remind me of a chardonnay, and leave me with a dry finish in my mouth. I am not crazy about that dry finish.

Overall: The tannin and sourness mellow as the drink warms a little, which I like. The sourness really wakes up the palate, which I also like. I could have a couple of these a night. The flavors are bold and delicious. Just flat out different, tasty, and I want more.

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: slightly hazy brownish red maybe from a little bit of mistaken yeast. white one finger head that dissipates into a thin layer. Decent amount of lacing

S:Grassy sour cherries. lots of oak with a bit of an alcoholic smell

T: really nice sour cherry and oak just like the smell. it hits hard with sour and just when its about to hit the "too much stage" it backs off like it knows what its doing.

M: doesnt completely dry my mouth out which lets me enjoy it more. just enough carbonation to allow the flavors to open up with each sip

D: Mighty tasty i must say. while i would want to drink this quite often i couldnt exactly down a whole bottle 375 or 750 for that matter. im still a bit of a rookie with sours but this is the top 2 along with sui generis for me. worth the money for a nice long really well made sipper beer

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company