Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Batch 4
Poured into a Snifter

A: Pours a reddish brown with a small head on top. Supplication looks like a glass of apple cider with a light topping of foam. The head dissipates very quickly.

S: The Brett, Lacto, and Pedio blend together to give this a good musty, funk on the nose.

T: The Brett and Lacto create a musty barnyard flavor on the front, while the sour cherries add to the tartness of the finish. I am picking up slight notes of pinot noir on the finish as well.

M: Very carbonated as the bubbles tingle the tongue.

D: This is a sipper as the funk is strong but not overpowering on the taste. ABV is not too high at 7%, but the flavor will keep you drinking this beer slowly. Complex, sour, and very enjoyable.

4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

375ml bottle into glass tulip.
55°F
Batch No. 005X1

A: Cloudy deep oxidized copper body topped with one finger of loose pink-tan head that quickly dissipates leaving light bubbles of lace and a thin cover.

S: Cherries, leather, and a slight acidic funk. No hop presence.

T: Very light fruit flavors up front, cherry in particular, giving way to an unmistakable acidic twang. Lactic, with no detectable acetic. Despite the fruit character there is almost no sweetness, and the acidity hangs on the tongue long after the sip.

M: Light to medium body with heavy carbonation that bites the tongue immediately. Acidity prickles and the palate is left bone dry.

O: Really solid sour. Not something I would consider a session choice, but very interesting. Excellent with food, and a something I would spend the money on again in the future.

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is our last beer from Russian River. This is also the highest rated on BeerAdvocate. We need to take a trip to the Russian River Valley so we can visit the brewery. Their beers are made in pretty small batches, and they don't get great distribution. I landed this, and all of the other beers from them, in a trade. Speaking of trades, I just bought 14 bottles/cans tonight for a massive trade I am doing with Ashley Bower. REALLY looking forward to that one. She is sending us a bottle of Mexican Cake. It's not on the list, but I am pumped to try it.

It was cool learning about the owners of Russian River Brewing Company and their love for Pinot Noir wine. I like Pinot Noir, too. This beer was aged for a year in Pinot Noir barrels. I am fickle when it comes to barrel aged beers, but I have some pretty big expectations for this one. I bet this is sour, too. I could smell this as I was pouring it… and it smells quite sour. I am going to stop talking… let's drink!

In the Glass: This is quite carbonated, and it was producing a ton of bubbles and a nice thick white head as I was pouring it. I could smell, as I was pouring it, the subtle sourness that I am looking forward to. The head just sits there and while the beer doesn't have much lace, the head makes me want to grab a spoon and start eating! I hope this beer smells good.

Oh, the beer has a nice amber color to it. I am sure some of that color comes from the Pinot Noir barrels. It says on the bottle that this is aged 9 to 15 months. I wonder how they decide how long to age a particular beer like this.

Nose: It doesn't smell as sour as I expected it to. I am getting some of those tannins that you get when smelling a well balanced Pinot Noir. In the back of my mind I want this to taste more like a glass of wine than a beer. The bubbles, however, leave me to think I am going to have an experience as if I was drinking champagne. A second sniff has me smelling more fruit and I am sure it reads weird, but it smells expensive. Is that weird?

Flavor: The beer is not as carbonated as I expected it to be, but it is quite sour. Good thing I like sour beers. There is a lot going on here with the flavor and it really changes as it slides across your palate. There are some bubbles when it first hits your lips, and then it begins to really open up as you swallow. There is a ton of flavor in the aftertaste, too, leaving this beer a wide range of awesome! The sour quickly fades leaving you a hint of those tannin that I keep talking about.

Mouthfeel: There are a ton of bubbles at first, but it's not overwhelming. I wouldn't recommend swishing this around in your mouth much. I did that on my second sip, and the sour flavor really comes through. But the bubbles become overwhelming. If you don't like sour beers, stay away. As you swallow, the beer mellows out and you are left with a nice thin layer of sweetness every time you swallow. This beer is well produced and that is obvious every step of the way.

Aftertaste: That is my favorite part of this beer. As soon as you swallow you are hit with some subtle dryness that just coats your tongue with flavor. I have been sitting on this last sip for a good 5 minutes and I feel/taste like I just took a sip. I don't know the process of aging a beer in a wine barrel, but there has got to be some trial and error to realize the beer is ready after 9 months or not quite ready until it hits 15 months.

Speaking of barrel aged beers, the last time we tried Sirius Black, a killer beer from Four Peaks Brewing Company, I talked with someone from the brewery. He said the batch we were trying, at a tap takeover at Hops On Birch, had been aged for 12 months in a barrel. I am not sure I could be that patient pouring a beer as good as Sirius Black into a barrel just to wait a year! That is what makes cellering beer so tough.

We can't get Russian River beers here, but if we could I would be broke. This, along with all the other "-ation" beers we have tried/reviewed, is great. The more sour the better. Cheers, people!

4.67/5  rDev +2.4%

375ml (batch 005) bottle poured in my Bells Tulip. Thanks to slentz for this awesome beer

A- Pours a hazy amber color. Tried to leave the sediment in the bottle but a little bit got into the glass. Very thin white head. No lacing to speak of

S- Smells very tart. Getting a lot of cherry and lemon. Very funky smelling beer.

T- Starts off tart with a strong cherry flavor. Slight vinegar taste on the back end but remains a very nice cherry funk throughout.

M- Crisp yet smooth mouthfeel. Perfect carbonation

D- Awesome brew that is perfect for a late summer evening or for a perfect afternoon. Alchol is absolutely hidden by the funk and I would've never guessed this was 7%

I'm beginning to fall in love with sours. This beer was a huge hit in my book. Such a great beer that I could stock my fridge with if it was available here. Thanks again, Dave, for this awesome brew.

4.51/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Pours a slightly hazy amber with some golden hues on the edges when held up to the light, capped by a two finger cream colored head with great retention that leaves tight lacing down the side of the glass. Beautiful.

S: Sour cherries up front with a lot of complexity backing it up - vinous characteristics, some oakiness, a hint of yeasty aroma, a bit of funk (although there's more sour aspects than funk), earthiness that could be from the hops or the funk. Every whiff reveals a slightly different balance of the components.

T: More tartness than the aroma lets on, but far from overpowering. Sour cherries are the first taste, giving way to oaky notes, grapes, some funk poking out from behind the sourness on the backend, even a bit of leather. All of it is backed up by a slight caramel malty aspect. Strongly sour, but balanced in the sense that it doesn't hide the complexity of everything going on in this beer.

M: Good medium carbonation and a smooth feel balance the mouth-puckering sourness. High in acidity but remarkably refreshing.

D: If not for price and rarity, I could drink this like water...and that's only a slight exaggeration. An amazing beer, and I can't wait to see how it evolves over the next couple years.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A loud pop upon uncorking.

Dry, musty horse blanket aroma; pungent with trace vinegar, faint cherries, and leather.

Amber brown, slightly hazy body with a small off-white finger of effervescent head; steady streams of CO2. Frothy and sticky lace.

Vinnie at Russian River has done it again. A complex brew with great interplay between malt and sour funk components. A sour punch upfront gives way to herbal, earthy, straw-like flavors that all are balanced out by each other. Some white pepper and tart cherries are noticeable early on. Some oak flavored woodiness in the middle. Bitterness hits at its full power right before the finish with a burst. The brew stimulates the sides of the tongue, which remain stimulated well into vinegar-like, sightly acidic dry finish. Exhibits an oily tongue coating nature as well.

Medium to highly carbonated with a light body, which accentuates the refreshing character of this beer. Overall an extremely well crafted sour; top notch!

4.18/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks chickencoop
Batch 04x1

Pours a reddish copper, translucent. One finger white head dissipates into a lingering cap. Bubbles everywhere, I can tell this is going to be spritzy.

S: Sour green apples, but musty. Getting alot of brett too.

T: No surprise, immensely tart and sour. But why can I not stop sipping this? Really "fun" to drink. Im thinking more sweet and sour green apples than cherries. Brett funk is melded throughout the entire palate. I had some trouble detecting any wood characteristics, maybe next time?

M: Medium bodied, spritzy carb. Leaves you salivating as if you are drinking something like orange or grapefruit juice.

D: Hmmm. I would have to say drinkability suffers because of acidity. A whole 375 ml gave me a little heartburn. Additionally, any sour can become tiresome to the palate. Excellent beer when you are in the mood for it, a "world class" sour.

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%

A: 4.25 Pours a cloudy, reddish-brown with about a two-inch light tan head. It looks a bit like a Flanders red.

S: 4.75 Lots of funk and vinegar right up front. Cherries come in right behind bringing a really nice, yet subtle, medicinal aroma that I’ve come to love in my fruited sours. There’s also some oaky, vanilla characteristics, adding some sweet aromas that balance out the funk and sour.

T: 4.5 Actually a bit sweet at first with the oak and vanilla from the nose. The sweetness is quickly met with a big dose of sour lemons, cherries, and funk. The cherries and their light medicinal flavor linger on the aftertaste.

M: 4.5 The body is rather heavy for the style and coats the palate quite a bit. Fortunately, there’s plenty of carbonation to help the beer feel lighter as well as provide a nice, dry finish.

O: 4.5 This beer is an excellent example of what fruited sours can be. It carefully walks the line between funk, sour, fruit, and sweet with no single element dominating. While super drinkable, there are enough of interesting flavors and aromas to keep things lively.

4.71/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company