Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

4.5

Reviews: 1,431 | Ratings: 6,099
4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

Sampled on draft at the brewpub in Santa Rosa.

Pours a deep dark cherry red mahogany color which is pretty cloudy and completely opaque. Frothy 1.5 finger off white head with pretty good retention, only slowly fading into a lasting ring that leaves streaks of soapy lacing behind.

I could smell this beer coming my way from across the room. Lots of eRthy brettu funk with a pro
inent barnyard horseblanlet character in the nose. Very vinous with lots of dark fruit balancing out the brett, especially sour dark cherry, grape, plum and raisin.

Funky tart Pickering mouthfeel that isn't acidic in the least bit. Perfect balance of brettu funky sourness, slight malt and sweet dark fruit notes. Lots of spur dark cherrry, vinous grape, raisin and plum. The tart curries really come through and make this beer amazing well balanced and quaffable. The ABV is nearly undetectable and there is a slightly vinegary Pickering aftertaste that leaves me salivating for another gulp. I love this damn beer and am so excited to try it on tap. This further cents my opinion that Russian River is the best brewery on the planet. Sek tuis beer out at any cost, especially on draft.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

The fiery glow casts a shadow against the darkness, sparks and flame, the cloudy red-orange of a cold night with heat emanating from the flames... True lambic appearance, as the fluff forms just a bit of soap-bubble but then goes on its' way, leaving but a few spots.
"We'll have to make a run for it, the earth caving..."
"We can't hold out much longer!"
"Then GO ON!"
Like so many huskies with a "MUSH!" and a whip, we force ourselves towards the unbearable heat. The wind whipping our backs and the flames licking our faces, and the aromas come.
Huge funk, predominantly brettanomyces and pediococcus, and as we look to our left and groan under the weight, the cherry comes out a bit as well... Old, mouldy, sour cherries that have sat stagnant for so long, as a depth of sweetness behind the wall of sour leaves a massive complexity and we leap through the flames as if our lives depend on it... perhaps they do... close your eyes and embrace the heat, pretend it is but a warmth, keep leaping, don't open your eyes, we must make it...

Now we can breathe again. We pass the flagon around with the flames at our heels, shrieking and mocking us like a cabbage beset with worms, all writhing and stretching, first this way, then that. So then, here they are, the characteristics, this is what we taste.
Puckering and lightly metallic, with the cherry and oakiness a dominating monstrosity in the middle. The back of the tongue is more lactic and brett sour, with some lemon notes joining the foray simply for good measure. The lingering finish shows itself to be exceedingly dry, but still retains a hint of cherry-like sweetness beyond the immense sour.
The feelings in the mouth are not as substantial... The carbonation is very light, leading into a very dry and puckering finish. It coats our mouths with a mega-warheads like sour, the immense sourness that I can only recall, as it has been so long...
A grin and a glance at our comrades, we've run through it yet again, we're warm and cheery now... may it ever be thus.

Bottle batch 002. A bit of a gusher. Pours reddish brown with a thick foamy off-white head. Smells of damp oak, tart cherries, grassy brett funk, some candi sugar and a bit of port. Flavor is strong sour cherry with a delicate creamy sweetness balancing it. There is a strong oak note and grassy funk from the brett, a bit vinous too. Medium body with a very lively carbonation.

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

Largadeer earned himself a spot in the Book of Heroic Successes by procuring a growler of this batch of Supplication (which I gather is different from batch 004 that will be released in February). Thank you, Chris.

The growler doesn't really pop (it's over 2 weeks old at this point), but the pour is quite gorgeous. Mildly hazy reddish brown with a dense, beige head with excellent retention and some lacing, this beer also has a gentle but steady stream of carbonation. The head lasts until I drink my entire -TION tulips worth

The nose makes my toes curl. An absolutely fantastic aroma that's a blend of funk, acids, fruits and wine, the balance is quite breathtaking. Opening with a blend of fruity cherries, a little acetic character and a little lactic sourness, the red wine (pinot noir, but I doubt I could nail it at that) character is excellent too. In addition to the cherries, I also get a little raspberry-like character, a little leather, a little brown sugar-like sweetness. The funk is a blend of barnyard, lemon and earthy hay. Mildly oaky with a little vanilla too. Fabulous.

The palate opens with a sharp sourness, a blend of vinegar-like acidity, cherry sourness followed quickly by a rather big vinous character, more than I remember in the previous batches. The leathery, berry-like, mild cocoa notes of the wine pair beautifully with sourness that opens the palate. Funk character is moderate, dominated just a little bit by the sourness and fruit character. Mildly lactic on the finish, the clean sourness enhances the vinous character. Tannic character is moderate, appearing on the finish that's mildly drying. Medium-light in body with a moderate level of carbonation, this beer is quite stunning.

A growlerful? Well, I can't remember the last one I did that with, but the only one I came close to was with Younger. This beer just goes to show Vinnie's genius, I am looking forward to the next 3 hours with this beer.

Fresh, this batch is a bit more vinous than I remember previous batches being. Fantastic stuff

*Edit*
I'm currently on my 5th glass, and have to admit that I am completely loving the big, fruity, sour and vinous character of this beer.

**Edit 07 Oct 2013**
Bottle, batch 003. Over 5 years old at this point. The last time I had this particular batch was in the company of friends in DC right before we moved out west, and today's a mighty special day as well.

The nose is still pretty excellent. Sharp sourness, growing increasingly Flemish with a moderate vinous note. Clean lactic and pedio sourness with a moderate funk (earth, lemon, a touch of mushroom), remarkably bright with a lovely cherry character. The palate is excellent. Bright, sharp, clean, sour and very well balanced, none the poorer for its age with the classic blend of soft vinous notes, bright acidity, modest funk and a little earth. Excellent. 4.5/4.5/4.5

**Edit 01 Feb 2014**
Batch 4. My last bottle from a case I split with Scott Holland back in the day.

The sourness has faded some, allowing funk, earth and lemon to dominate along with a blend of loam and petrichor. Beautiful stuff. Bright, cherry sharpness. Quaffable. Funky cherry sourness.

**Edit 08 Feb 2015**
My last bottle of batch 3.

Growing vinous with age, the pinot character is really dining along with a soft mushroom like funk. The Chris have faded but the vinous notes keep the memory alive. Kinda like a Bon Chien but lighter. Awesome.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Russian River, I salute you. Poured from the bottle into my Bruery tulip.

Clear, beautiful ruddy brown with golden highlights. A thin cap forms, but only a collar remains after a couple of minutes. The color reminds me of what a deep sunset on the beach looks like.

Smell: Yep, there's the Russian River signature. Unmistakable sourness awaits me. Tart cherries, wood, musty old attic, and a faint pungent smell of putrefaction. I know that last item probably sounds bad, but I think it's goddamn great.

Taste is exquisite. This bottle is not particularly fresh, but it was stored in cold conditions for a long time. I think this is probably why the cherries are still somewhat prominent here. Cherry, oak, red wine, all taking turns dancing with the buggy acidity. Quick finish.

Mouthfeel is very good. Very dry, crisp finish, with lively carbonation. The carbonation is, at first, a tiny bit harsh... a few minutes into the glass it has smoothed out considerably.

Drinkability: I might drink gallons of this when bottles are released later this year. Fantastically drinkable.

This and Consecration (Batch 1) are my two favorite Russian River sours to date. This is great stuff. I am looking forward to trying it fresh.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Although I went to RR to try the oh-so-raved-about-Plinys (with reason), the beer that absolutely floored me was Supplication. This ranks in the top 10 beers I've ever had (which is determined by a complex algorithm involving the beer, where I had it, and the overall experience of drinking said beer).

Color is bronze to orange - darker with hints of evil lurking.

Wonderful sour cherries and wood in the nose. Earthy, musky, clean forest decay. Just what you want from a wild.

Cherry tartness up front as you'd expect, but eased out and rounded by sweet ripe fruit and then the dryness of the oak lingers. The acitic tannins sit on the back center of your tongue forever, just tempting you to mellow them out again with another sip.

Despite the complex flavors and darker character, I found this beer to have a lighter mouthfeel due to its tartness and dryness.

Drank a ton. Too much, actually. Paid for it the next day in the Muir Woods bathroom (or was it the oysters?).

Was worth the payment, regardless.

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%

One of a number of very special things I had at Russian River recently, and my overall favourite.

Sort-of-murky reddish brown with no head to speak of. Looks like some kind of wood varnish, and smells a little like it too - woody and acidic, with sour cherries, oxidised red wine, apple cider vinegar and band-aids.

The taste is similar to the above description, in the best possible way. Big dark cherries and grapes to the fore, with all the other stuff in the mix. Earthy, drying tannins and a tantalizingly ephemeral hint of sweetness. Complex as hell, and utterly refreshing and invigorating.

Light in feel and briskly carbonated, perfectly balanced and ridiculously complex without ever being a "challenge". I had another few things I desperately wanted to try, not knowing when and if I'll ever be back in Santa Rosa, but I could have had a few more of these, easy. Just dreamy.

4.08/5  rDev -9.3%

I drank this batch 003 from a 375ml bottle into a Rochefort glass.

The beer pours a brownish ornange more of an orange tinge with a about 2 fingers of head that has a dark orange tint to it. The retention is great, the head lasts about 5 minuts but even after that is a heavy head that lasts forever. The lacing is great as well.

The aroma is slightly disappointing because its relatively light and not overtly complex. Mostly you just get some tartness overall with a little oak at the.

The taste is good not great. Just like the aroma its not complex just a very nice sour note from start to finish. I love sour but I want to be rewarded as well. At the end I get a little wood.

The feel is nice and coats well, drinkability is down a tad.

Overall, this is a pretty good wild ale but nothing spectactular. I prefer the RR Temptation.

4.37/5  rDev -2.9%

Edited to reflect newer batches (at the time of this writing, batch 006). There's always a minor rearrangement every time Russian River releases a new batch of sours. As of 10/26/2011, the latest Temptation is winning, with Consecration next, and Supplication last.

~~~

All right, I should probably review this since I've had in on tap multiple times now. Batch 004 at the Bistro -bal Fest and again on tap at the Rose & Crown in Palo Alto.

A: Pours a murky amber with glowing orange highlights when held to the light. It has a finger of cream-colored head that retains pretty well; it eventually retreats into a clump of bubbles on the brew and a very thin collar, with no lacing.

S: What a fantastic aroma. It has the right balance of tart, sour cherries, acetic acid, and lactic sourness. Tannins come through quite strongly, along with grapes (I didn't pick up on this until largadeer pointed it out, but afterward, it was obvious). Just the slightest hint of brett, with a musty leather undercurrent.

T: Sour cherries and more than a hint of dark red grapes, giving it a vinous quality right from the start. It's lactic up front, with the mid-taste seeing an evolution of tannins and light leather. The finish is acetic and dry, but not so overwhelming that it burns the throat. There is a little lingering sourness in the aftertaste.

M: I was very pleased with the balance of characteristics here. I don't enjoy super-dry or super-acetic beers; Supplication delivers both qualities in moderation, producing a sublime drinking experience. It's light-bodied with moderate carbonation that cleanses the palate very well.

D: I had two 10oz pours of this and strongly considered a third. In fact, as I'm typing this up, I'm tempted to go back and get said third. Probably my favorite Russian River wild ale now that Consecration's recipe has changed.

4.32/5  rDev -4%

Had on tap at the brewpub in the newer style Russian River glass as opposed to the old tulip style.

This beer came out with next to no head. There was a thin veil of bubbles across the top of the beer but as I drank it down none stuck to the sides of the glass. The color was decided caramel with the translucent liquid having a honey color when held up to a light source.

Boom, this beer smells like Russian River. That Brett funk is here with each waft smelling more and more like the cork of a freshly popped bottle of red wine. with a deeper inhale I get some oak chords along with that indescribable wet barnyard stench.

This is a chewable beer. There is very little carb bite to it and though the beer itself might not be thick, my tongue thinks it is due to its mellow, nearly fizz free texture.

This beer is TART. Like taking a hit of apple cider vinegar tart. It reminds me of that sour feeling you get when you eat dried apricots, minus the apricot flavor of course, a natural sour vibe abounds. There is a bit of tart cherry flavor to this guy and the barrel aging is certainly noticeable with the hint of oak. Truly a sour head's delight.

Not too high drinkability as I find this RR sour in particular to have a cumulative puckering affect. Really only one glass is suitable, but that one glass is really a good one.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

On tap ar russian river

Ar: Classic russian river sour aroma, fruity, grapes, light acetic acid, toasty earth, pleasant mix of acid/fruit.

Ap: hazy light amber, very low off white head, fair retention, light lacing.

F: rather tart, floral, strong acid again the classic russian river sour, tart berries, earthy, light candy sweetness but balanced out by the acid, mild darker caramel, toasty/nutty malt, lots of berries

M: medium/high carbonaiton, medium/light mouthfeel, warming acid end.

O: grapey, subdued oak, lots of acid but balanced well, one of the best rr sours

4.92/5  rDev +9.3%

On tap at RRBC 11/24/09.

Aroma- complex sour and tart. Berries, acids.

App- Hazy reddish amber. Very little foam but the glass was filled to the top.

Taste- very tart. raspberries and blackberries. sweet caramel and malt backbone. drying mineral note.

Mouth- dry, warming acids. not bone dry, but well balanced. fine carb.

Overall- my favorite Russian River beer so far. I used to be a Pliny head until had some of their sours. More simple malt than consecration, less sour than beatification but the most refined.

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This was my review #1300 on ratebeer, and I'm saving it for big number 342 on here. Waited forever for this beer since I didn't want to ever pay $20 for a 375ml bottle at City Beer. Now that I've had it, well, I should have been willing to pay that and then some. I had this on tap at the Bistro Barrel Aged Fest in Hayward.

Pours a brilliant reddish amber with slight haze and a half-inch of creamy off-white foam.

Aroma is amazing with sour cherry, bretty and lactic notes, leather, oak, and some sweet malt.

Flavor is tart, with brett, lacto, pedio, funk, and some sweet caramel malt, sour cherries, oak, and spice. Complex and just amazingly good flavor. Sour but not overly so like Beatification can be. Just absolutely heavenly. Best sour from Russian River BY FAR in my opinion, and that's saying something.

Medium body with a sharp, acidic palate and a long finish.

Drinkability is very high and the ABV is very well-hidden. Went back for this two more times despite all the other great barrel aged beers there. Great beer, Vinnie! Worth the long wait.

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle shared by alexsdad06.

Poured a hazy reddish brown color with an average frothy off-white head that mostly lasted with fair lacing. Moderate to heavy tart cherry, yeasty and wood aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture and soft carbonation and small particles. Medium to heavy sour & sweet flavor with a medium to heavy sweet & sour finish of moderate to long duration.

This is a standout beer for style. Thanks Brad.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Review #500. Decided to go with a nice treat from RR.

Batch 3

Poured into tulip glass.

Opens with a nice big pop very easily. I should have been a little more careful opening this guy. I took one small wif from the bottle and my mouth is already watering.

Poured slowly but a nice big near 2 finger head that is colored very slight tan. Decent retention leaving some nice lace walls down the glass. Aroma is a clear peach hued copper.

Aroma: Vinegar/acidic aromas, tart cherries, oak/wood, tons of wild notes. Mmmm it is delicious.

Taste: These sour beers are quite awesome. Not as much vinegar/acidic flavors here as I was expecting from the aroma (not that it's a bad thing). Cherries are tart, but not overly tart. The oak is a lot more dominate here and takes over the cherry flavor a bit. The wild yeasts obviously make this one tart. The taste is very dry.

Mouthfeel: Very sour and tart, but not as tart as others I have had. Still makes the mouth pucker. Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends with a very clean sour cherry flavored aftertaste.

Overall, one of the best sours out there imo. Very drinkable and I wish I had more of this. I will probably have to get some of the next batch when it comes out. All around a good beer. I really enjoyed that it wasn't overly dominated by vinegar and acidic tastes.

4.22/5  rDev -6.2%

batch 003. Brown pour with a thin off white head. Aroma was mild cherry and a bit of funk. Flavor had more cherry, lemon, funk. not nearly as acidic as I thought it would be.

UPDATE, old score fresh = 3.6. Opened one recently and it had gotten nice and sour, and the lemon had really started coming out. The funk was spot on, not dominating but making itself known. REscored 4/2/09

4.5/5  rDev 0%

.375 bottle split w/ JHamel. Poured into Duvel tulip. Batch 3.

Amber in color with a light red cherry tint. Small, bright white head that leaves minimal lacing. Slow/steady stream of carbonation from nucleation site.

Acetic acid/vinegar aromas are primary. Some oaky/vanilla impressions with tart cherries coming out of the glass secondarily. I could already tell from the smell that the cherries were fading into the background.

This is a changed beer (not a bad thing). When fresh I think of these as very Kriek like. With some age, the taste is dominated more by the acetic acid and wood tannins with sour cherry being more of a background flavor. Lacks the juiciness of the fresh bottle. Still packs great sour flavor.

Mouthfeel is prickly with sour/tartness. Seems to be medium/high carbonation for the style which keeps the beer lively and bright.

High level of drinkability with the light cherry flavors and carbonation balancing the sourness.

I may like this beer better fresh, but this was still great.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

I was lucky enough to try this on tap.

Rusty amber color without much head.

Floral and bretty notes with wonderful cherry notes.

Taste is sour cherries, subtle vanilla, and pinot noir.

Mouthfeel is where it really blows up. It's a medium mouthfeel that finishes acidic with superb dry, red wine tannins.

Probably not really drinkable for a lot of people considering how sour and dry it is. For me, bring it by the pitcher.

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%

This is a review of Batch 003.

A-Slightly hazed copper with a thin white head that left spotty lace.

S-Dry oak and sour cherry. Not intensely sour, more tart, Lightly aromatic but quite pleasant.

T-Cherry flavour up front and very prevalent. Comes through as a super tart cherry. Oak notes meld throughout adding a nice amount of depth and dryness.

M-Light bodied, crisp and tart, Drying finish with long lasting sourness.

D-This one simply works for me. Like a light, dry, cherry wine! Another American wild winner from the genius mind of Vinnie!

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Batch 3

A - A cloudy burnt brownish color that sits squarely between a belgian pale and belgian dark. A moderate brownish white head builds and recedes quickly, with a little that retains and remains. Unique.

S - Certainly a tart aroma from the cherries and smorgasbord of other fruit underscored by biscuity spice and some wet leather brett aroma. Sweet, earthy, funky and spicy, with each facet taking its proper place.

T - Having had Temptation recently, I was anxious to see if Supplication was both as distinct and excellent as her blonde sister. Amazingly the answer is yes. Up front is some intense sour and tartness. It takes a few sips to get past the sourness and get the heart of this brew. The sourness gives way to some caramel malt bread taste. Some mild funk sticks its head in to say hello somewhere in the middle, but the Brett makes a quick visit, and goes as fast as he came. In the end is a nice rise of pure sweetness from cherries, grapes, melons oh my which goes against some yeast spice. Some oakiness lives in the breath.

M & D - Light/medium bodied with just the right balance of carbonation and smoothness to enhance the flavors. The sourness dries the tongue right out, and the flavors make you yearn for the next sip. A winning combination, but I'm not looking the empty glass that my future soon holds.

4.94/5  rDev +9.8%

Batch 003
Appearance - Pours a reddish-orange brown with a slight tan head that quickly fades.
Smell - Tart cherries, hay, brett funk.
Taste - Puckeringly tart, cherry, some pinot and oak. Awesome, complex flavors.
Mouthfeel - Light to medium-bodied and highly carbonated with fine bubbles. Very nice dry, crisp finish.
Drinkability - Very smooth with great flavor, I could drink this all day.

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Thanks to JDV for this bottle, batch 003. Poured into a dogfish head signature glass.

The beer pours a muddy/ruby red with a one finger off-white head. The beer is very carbonated and looks very appealing.

The smell is all tart/sour cherries with a little malt in the background. There is definitely some funk in the background, nothing extreme, but a nice earthy funk that blends with the slight oak barrel scent under all that tart cherry.

The smell is sour cherry followed by some more sour cherry!! What an awesome wave of sour, bordering on bitter, flavors. The sweetness from the brown ale along with the slight oakiness come through to balance the tart cherry at the end, but that is very minimal.

The mouthfeel of the beer is perfect for the style, it is well carbonated, dry and crisp. This is a beer that I wish I had multiple bottles of, and something I would like to drink all the time for sure.

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%

Got this in a trade from MrChopin. Poured into an oversized wine glass from the bottle. Batch 003

Pours a reddsih brown with no head which isn't surprising. I don't think I've ever had anything with a wild yeast that has had a head. It's a bit murky too. Definitely true to the style, a good looking beer.

Smells acidic with some barnyard funk. The cherries come through a bit with the funk.

Tastes acidic but not overly so. This is a perfect amount of tartness and sourness. The cherries come through as well but not too much. If you didn't tell me to look for them I may have not tasted them.

Mouthfeel is great. Almost the perfect body for this kind of beer. It isn't thin and it isn't thick. Probably because the base beer for this was a brown ale.

Drinkability is high, I want more of this but I couldn't see myself craving this all night.

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle batch 003. Pours a cloudy dark amber color with a thick white head. Smells musty and sour. Has a medium mouthfeel. Taste is very complex and has many flavors including: oak, sour, fruit, tartness, pepper spice, and some acidic spiciness. Overall this is not a punch you in the mouth sour like some of the other sours out there. Its more subtle. Its more drinkable. My drinking buddy commented its like eating a piece and candy and wanting more. That's what its like between sips. Overall a great brew.

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

Supplication Batch 3

A. Light copper color with a thin ring of foam covering the top.

S. Cherries, lemons, funk-tastic-ness (Brett, Lacto, etc etc). Sherry like oxidative notes with some woodsy aromas thrown in. This beer is uber complex.

T. Orange and lemon tartness with some barnyard funk. Lime peel, sherry, slight bubblegum and a touch of caramel sweetness is about all I can pick out. This beer is crazy, over the top complex.

M. Thin to medium in the mouth--quite zingy in terms of carbonation. Somewhat puckering but that's what I wanted with this beer.

D. On this hot, summer brew-day, this beer really does myself and mrandypandy well. So complex and lively. This beer has like 2000 different tastes going on. It feels like a sour pogo-stick jumping around on my tongue. Nice job, guys!

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company