Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

4.5

Ratings: 6,347 |  Reviews: 1,467

4.59/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed out of a brown 375 mL bottle marked with a 12/17/12 bottling date. Poured into a Boulevard Smokestack edition tulip glass.

Appearance - Body is a translucent brown with bits of sediment and highlights of rust and burnt ochre. Holding the light behind it reveals raspberry red highlights. Head is a little less than a finger of bubbly, sudsy head the color of faded rose quartz. Dissipates fairly quickly leaving little to no lacing.

Smell - Notes of sour cherries and faint cinnamon along with the backbone of pinot aroma and hints if wine-like tannins. I also detect some notes of apple cider vinegar peeking through as well.

Taste - Tartness up front, with notes of green apple and lemon that evolves into a more complex depth of flavor, with some grape must and elements of malty sweetness to balance the sourness. Sour flavor profiles stand out more as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel - Slightly puckering, with a high level of effervescence and a medium-to-light body. Finish is mostly dry, with a slightly sweet lingering aftertaste.

Overall, a fantastic sour beer that has a good balance of sour and fruit. I would drink this all the time if it was easily attainable.

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is our last beer from Russian River. This is also the highest rated on BeerAdvocate. We need to take a trip to the Russian River Valley so we can visit the brewery. Their beers are made in pretty small batches, and they don't get great distribution. I landed this, and all of the other beers from them, in a trade. Speaking of trades, I just bought 14 bottles/cans tonight for a massive trade I am doing with Ashley Bower. REALLY looking forward to that one. She is sending us a bottle of Mexican Cake. It's not on the list, but I am pumped to try it.

It was cool learning about the owners of Russian River Brewing Company and their love for Pinot Noir wine. I like Pinot Noir, too. This beer was aged for a year in Pinot Noir barrels. I am fickle when it comes to barrel aged beers, but I have some pretty big expectations for this one. I bet this is sour, too. I could smell this as I was pouring it… and it smells quite sour. I am going to stop talking… let's drink!

In the Glass: This is quite carbonated, and it was producing a ton of bubbles and a nice thick white head as I was pouring it. I could smell, as I was pouring it, the subtle sourness that I am looking forward to. The head just sits there and while the beer doesn't have much lace, the head makes me want to grab a spoon and start eating! I hope this beer smells good.

Oh, the beer has a nice amber color to it. I am sure some of that color comes from the Pinot Noir barrels. It says on the bottle that this is aged 9 to 15 months. I wonder how they decide how long to age a particular beer like this.

Nose: It doesn't smell as sour as I expected it to. I am getting some of those tannins that you get when smelling a well balanced Pinot Noir. In the back of my mind I want this to taste more like a glass of wine than a beer. The bubbles, however, leave me to think I am going to have an experience as if I was drinking champagne. A second sniff has me smelling more fruit and I am sure it reads weird, but it smells expensive. Is that weird?

Flavor: The beer is not as carbonated as I expected it to be, but it is quite sour. Good thing I like sour beers. There is a lot going on here with the flavor and it really changes as it slides across your palate. There are some bubbles when it first hits your lips, and then it begins to really open up as you swallow. There is a ton of flavor in the aftertaste, too, leaving this beer a wide range of awesome! The sour quickly fades leaving you a hint of those tannin that I keep talking about.

Mouthfeel: There are a ton of bubbles at first, but it's not overwhelming. I wouldn't recommend swishing this around in your mouth much. I did that on my second sip, and the sour flavor really comes through. But the bubbles become overwhelming. If you don't like sour beers, stay away. As you swallow, the beer mellows out and you are left with a nice thin layer of sweetness every time you swallow. This beer is well produced and that is obvious every step of the way.

Aftertaste: That is my favorite part of this beer. As soon as you swallow you are hit with some subtle dryness that just coats your tongue with flavor. I have been sitting on this last sip for a good 5 minutes and I feel/taste like I just took a sip. I don't know the process of aging a beer in a wine barrel, but there has got to be some trial and error to realize the beer is ready after 9 months or not quite ready until it hits 15 months.

Speaking of barrel aged beers, the last time we tried Sirius Black, a killer beer from Four Peaks Brewing Company, I talked with someone from the brewery. He said the batch we were trying, at a tap takeover at Hops On Birch, had been aged for 12 months in a barrel. I am not sure I could be that patient pouring a beer as good as Sirius Black into a barrel just to wait a year! That is what makes cellering beer so tough.

We can't get Russian River beers here, but if we could I would be broke. This, along with all the other "-ation" beers we have tried/reviewed, is great. The more sour the better. Cheers, people!

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company