Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

4.5

Ratings: 6,315 |  Reviews: 1,463

4.94/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottled 12/17/12. Poured into snifter glass. Beer had the color of dark orange or dark ruby-like. A couple mm thick head is present. It's a pretty solid foam that appears to be going no where for a while. There is some sediment at the bottom but partly my fault the way I poured it.

Smell: Definitely funky! It's honestly hard to describe but the best I can come up with is fermented tart cherries. Just taking a whiff of this smell and I think whoa something was a lot of fermentation happening in there. There is also notable wine characteristics.

Taste: At first when I take a sip, the sourness and tartness just slaps me across the face. It's almost pungent but in a palatable way plus a bitter component as I move the beer around the mouth. Plenty of sweetness, possibly from the cherries. Wow! Every swallow of a mouthful of this beer is one attack after another. It stays tart the entire time. There are also tart cherries that is easily noticeable. I'm new to sours but this really impressed me. After I finish a sip of the beer I get some flavor of dried cherries at the back of the tongue. The acidity of this beer stays after I finish the sip.

Mouthfeel: it has a medium mouthfeel to it and moderately carbonated.

Overall: This is one heck of a sour beer. Like I said, I've never had many sours so I won't ever forget this one. I hope I can get this again.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

4.34/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Big thanks for rutager for this one!

A: Pours a brownish orange with a 3/4 finger off-white head with small bubbles. Head fades quickly. In the glass, this thing is a beautiful reddish-copper with brown notes.

S: You really have to get in there to get a good nose on this one, but when you do - wow. Sweet, tart cherries, little bit of vinegar, definite funk with some leather notes. Really nice.

T: Whoa. Hang on. Balance. Right up front, you are hit with the tartness. And then some funk. But towards the end, you get some sweet cherry and fruit notes. Some definite wine notes from the barrels. The funk adds another dimension to this beer. terrific stuff.

M: Pretty much perfect. Not too carbonated, very refreshing.

O: Super impressed. This one is a winner. I keep delving deeper into the "tion" series, and continue to be very pleased. I would have this any time. Great stuff!

This beer is absolutely amazing. The smell reminded me of some very good wines I've had. I can't say I've every smelled a beer that had that familiar a smell of a really good wine. Even my wife, who is much more a vinophile than I am, smelled it, she was impressed. Combine that with a phenomenal sour ale, and you've got a sure winner. Absolutely phenomenal, perfect beer. If I could find a stock of this, I'd buy everything they had.

4.66/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Realistically, it is almost not fair how close to perfection this beer is. For the style, it hits and nearly surpasses many of the characteristics. This is a textbook example of the style.

Poured from the bottle into a snifter, the beer was a deep magenta color with a slight bubbly white head. The aroma, best described as a flowery cherry aroma, was enchanting. In the initial taste, one detects notes of tart and sour cherry, grape skin, sour grapes, sour fruit, and a hint of vanilla from the barrel aging. The vanilla notes come to the front more as the beer progresses toward the aftertaste. The pleasantly acidic mouthfeel is allowed to linger momentarily as the ale's thickness lingers on the back of the tongue. I could easily drink this sour before any other. I like it a lot.

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Though listed as a wild ale, I'll go out on a limb and say that this is what every sour should aim for in terms of profile. It pours a burned red-orange to pink with some lacing. The aroma is out of this world. There are definite hints of cherry and pinot noir as advertised, but I also pick up a hint of eggnog, oddly enough. The taste follows the aroma. There's a definite mouth-puckering cherry tartness that quickly fades to a dry, clean finish. The sourness is very pronounced, and I think it may mask other flavors that are present. Nevertheless, this is one of the best sours I've ever had.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company