Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

4.5

Ratings: 6,312 |  Reviews: 1,463

4.99/5  rDev +10.9%

Split with a buddy, so poured into Stone Sourfest taster glass.

Pours a hazy, darker amber with a mild head and some delicious cherry and sour funk notes emanating out. Goes down incredibly smooth and not too bitter at all on the back-end. The cherry flavors are a highlight and provide a very different takeaway than most sours. There's a reason this one's so well regarded.

4.99/5  rDev +10.9%

Supplication is a fine crafted beer, which provides you with a unique output. This beer is indeed a favorite, and I BELIEVE by far one of the best sours I've come across.

This beer when opened provided a great smell of tart and cherries. Moving foward, we poured the gleaming off centered gold into our tulip glasses. We then drank. As it hit my pallet I was amazed by the light sour yet flavorful filled beer that possesed me. Why not add that last cherry tart taste to top it off, well they did it and they Russian River did this one right.

Never would pass a bottle of this, I would never trade a bottle of this, and Never would I not open it for a very special occasion.

4.99/5  rDev +10.9%

Had with some spicy sushi. Cut through the wasabi easily. Love the vinous characteristics.

Perfect

4.99/5  rDev +10.9%

$14 for a 12oz bottle of beer....
pours exactly as the last guy stated...."hazy amber, thin head, minimal lacing"... exactly....
smell is awesome. sour cherry. i really like the sours; love the belgian petrus. this one has the twist of the cherries...
really like the sour taste. but it isnt a 'sipper' as far as i'm concerned. i prefer a full gulp to slosh around inside my mouth and let all my taste buds enjoy.... it is a cherry flavor, and there are other 'berry' flavors seemingly in there and i can definitely drink these continually throughout the evening... but once you get the 'sour' you kind of need to continue with the sour as it throws the flavor off everything else... which is the best reason of all to pop that petrus i've been saving for the last six months....
there's a tingly kind of small-bubble carbonation and overall i really really like this brew. i dont want to abuse the 'straight 5' review and i dont want to be intimidated by the super high price i had to pay to try this brew, but i honestly feel it is worthy of 5s across the panel. for me, as much as i absolutely LOVE the sour beers, this one is a complete winner and as close to nirvana as i plan to ever get; thus, the marks.

4.98/5  rDev +10.7%

A - didn't pour it into a glass this time (yea I know). Great bottle though, makes me feel like I'm drinking a medieval ale.
S - biggest notes are first tart cherry then a must in essence that reminds me of my grandpa's basement in a good way. Then more tartness, funk, barnyard, hay in the background. Some brown ale caramel and bready notes are peeking through the sourness. The MAIN thing with this beer is its a complex sour ale. It gives you more than just the sour.
T - same as the smell. Awesomness. See above.
M - medium mouthfeel. Initially feels like it should be light but once you start drinking it the sour/funky parts of it separate the boys from the men. Alc covered. Aftertaste is sour cherry.
O - RR sours are the best overall had. Maybe Cantillon is better but I wouldn't know. I've never had a domestic brewery that lived up to the home of Supplication and Sanctification.

Serving Type- On tap at Russian River Brewery

Appearance- Amber color, almost zero head, light fizzy carbonation

Smell- Slight cherry, sour, slight funk, oak notes, tart cherry skin

Taste- Slight cherry sour notes, slight funk, great oak notes and tannin from the Pinot Barrels used, a little plum and dark fruits as well

Mouthfeel- Meduium

Ovearall- EPIC one of the BEAST Sours in the world if you have never had this beer get it...CHEERS

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Small 375ml corked and caged bottle that is elegantly labeled and informative. Batch 001. The cork produces a loud pop with wisps of white into the air. Poured into my SN tulip a amber orangish red with rising bubbles that create a tight eggshell head. The color of an autumn afternoon. As my nose reaches the glass I'm left nearly speechless. Dew covered freshly picked sour cherries meld with aged woody tones. Vinous sour grapes peek out as well, all touched with a musty, funky yeastiness. Vinegar and lactic acid come to mind with each inhalation. Each aroma seems to have its place in the overall beauty of this unique offering.

My first sip brings a conglomeration of sour cherries and grapes awash in a sea of slightly dry woody tannins. The slight hint of sweet caramel collides with a vibrant, earthy, musty yeastiness imparted by the brettanomyces. A bit acidic with a lactic twang and vinegar undertones. Exceddingly complex and challenging on the palate. Each sip causes me to envision the barrel this magnificent liquid called home for a year, where the amazing wild yeasts and bacteria did their part to help create a truly awe inspiring beer. A tart, vinous finish leaves traces of pinot noir and oak dangling on the back of the tongue.

Smooth and creamy with virbant carbonation that dances across the palate. Each subsequent sip leaves me in anticipation of the next. I really wish this bottle was 750ml as I'm dreading the end of my glass and I could lust after each sip of this beer all day. Truly a work of brewing art if there ever was one and without a doubt one of the most complex, unique and well built beers that has ever graced this beer drinkers lips. Highly recommended and not to be missed. Vinnie has created a masterpiece that I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of drinking again. Many thanks to irishsnake for the amazing opportunity.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Batch #003. Split a bottle with Roberts at the Falling Rock Tap House in Denver during my trip last week. It wasn't on the beer list but we asked and lucked out. Poured from a 375ml cool shaped bottle into a snifter. The lighting wasn't great since a bar but looked ciderish in color and texture. Some carb and slight lacing. It had about a finger of white head that settled into a foam with collar.

The aroma was exceptional. I love sour beers and this one has the classic smell. No one does it better than RRBC. The brett really stands out. Also had wine undertones. The taste was also exceptional. Had a great sour bite with a slight dry finish. Absolutely perfect. The mouthfeel had the great sour bite with the tingling of the carb so a great mix.

Overall, a world-class beer that deserves to be so highly ranked. My mission in life is to find more of this beer - now! I could have just drank this all night but this ended up being the first in a classic night of beer drinking at Falling Rock. Most highly recommend - get one now....wait, don't get one as that would leave less for me.

Wow, what a beer.

Just getting into sours and my buddy brought me one of these back.

Pours rich amber, almost reddish with fluffy white head that stuck around. Good retention.

Great smell. Tart, cherries, oak, and some good funk. Hints of oak as it warms a little.

Flavor was off that charts. Super tart up front, hits the back of the teeth aggressively, then it smooths out. Cherries, some lemon, Brett funk, all kinds of stuff going on.

Good carbonation that keeps all the complexity and flavors slightly at bay. Balances on the tongue.

Overall? One of the best beers I've ever had. Sours might be my new favorite thing. Not sure any will ever beat Supplication though

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

One of my best beer drinking experiences I've ever had.

Had it before last year at Hunahpu Day at Cigar City, but it kind of got lost in the incredible smorgasbord of beers we drank. Had it the other day via the kindness of a new found friend, and it blew me away properly.

It's so tart and refreshing I just want to keep drinking it, but at 7% it can sneak up on you. An excellent sour ale. Tart hints of grapes and maybe some lemony notes in the aroma. Good sour funk. Very similar and equally delicious flavor.

Russian River never fails to impress me.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Millions of thanks to ClockworkOrange who shared a bottle of this with me. And also to metallitone1; Thanks Tim so much for hookin me up with one of these. I shared the second bottle with phnphilly and bookert last night and I am in love with this beer, WOW!

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous ruddy copper color with a foamy head that fades fast leaving a little lacing in the glass.

Smell: Rich sour apple aroma with musty woody funk and lactic notes just absolutely flood the nose. There is a distinct sweetness that suggests fruits but it does not detract from the bold sour cherry and Brett that comes close to as funky as a Lambic but narrowly skirts that level of intensity.

Taste: Here the nose skirts the sour side and mellows a bit with sweetness the flavor in the mouth slides over a bit more to the delicious dark side. It does start out with a element of sweet fruit but quickly the lactic notes and wild funk along with a touch of acidity move in on the palate. The wood flavors are strong and seep deep into the cheeks. Tart cherry is evident in the musty funkiness that takes over the entire palate. The best feature is the amazingly long lingering after taste! EXCEPTIONAL!

Mouthfeel: The acidity is the mouth is very solid but not overwhelming. The finish does force a pucker and leave a long lingering aftertaste on the cheeks long after the beer is gone. After the sourness fades there is a residual sweetness that seem to seep back out onto the cheeks.

Drinkability: I LOVE SOUR BEER! This is a beer I could dink forever. Thank you thank you thank you Jason for sharing it with me!

Hope this is helpful.