Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

4.5

Ratings: 6,360 |  Reviews: 1,468
4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Small 375ml corked and caged bottle that is elegantly labeled and informative. Batch 001. The cork produces a loud pop with wisps of white into the air. Poured into my SN tulip a amber orangish red with rising bubbles that create a tight eggshell head. The color of an autumn afternoon. As my nose reaches the glass I'm left nearly speechless. Dew covered freshly picked sour cherries meld with aged woody tones. Vinous sour grapes peek out as well, all touched with a musty, funky yeastiness. Vinegar and lactic acid come to mind with each inhalation. Each aroma seems to have its place in the overall beauty of this unique offering.

My first sip brings a conglomeration of sour cherries and grapes awash in a sea of slightly dry woody tannins. The slight hint of sweet caramel collides with a vibrant, earthy, musty yeastiness imparted by the brettanomyces. A bit acidic with a lactic twang and vinegar undertones. Exceddingly complex and challenging on the palate. Each sip causes me to envision the barrel this magnificent liquid called home for a year, where the amazing wild yeasts and bacteria did their part to help create a truly awe inspiring beer. A tart, vinous finish leaves traces of pinot noir and oak dangling on the back of the tongue.

Smooth and creamy with virbant carbonation that dances across the palate. Each subsequent sip leaves me in anticipation of the next. I really wish this bottle was 750ml as I'm dreading the end of my glass and I could lust after each sip of this beer all day. Truly a work of brewing art if there ever was one and without a doubt one of the most complex, unique and well built beers that has ever graced this beer drinkers lips. Highly recommended and not to be missed. Vinnie has created a masterpiece that I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of drinking again. Many thanks to irishsnake for the amazing opportunity.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Batch #003. Split a bottle with Roberts at the Falling Rock Tap House in Denver during my trip last week. It wasn't on the beer list but we asked and lucked out. Poured from a 375ml cool shaped bottle into a snifter. The lighting wasn't great since a bar but looked ciderish in color and texture. Some carb and slight lacing. It had about a finger of white head that settled into a foam with collar.

The aroma was exceptional. I love sour beers and this one has the classic smell. No one does it better than RRBC. The brett really stands out. Also had wine undertones. The taste was also exceptional. Had a great sour bite with a slight dry finish. Absolutely perfect. The mouthfeel had the great sour bite with the tingling of the carb so a great mix.

Overall, a world-class beer that deserves to be so highly ranked. My mission in life is to find more of this beer - now! I could have just drank this all night but this ended up being the first in a classic night of beer drinking at Falling Rock. Most highly recommend - get one now....wait, don't get one as that would leave less for me.

Wow, what a beer.

Just getting into sours and my buddy brought me one of these back.

Pours rich amber, almost reddish with fluffy white head that stuck around. Good retention.

Great smell. Tart, cherries, oak, and some good funk. Hints of oak as it warms a little.

Flavor was off that charts. Super tart up front, hits the back of the teeth aggressively, then it smooths out. Cherries, some lemon, Brett funk, all kinds of stuff going on.

Good carbonation that keeps all the complexity and flavors slightly at bay. Balances on the tongue.

Overall? One of the best beers I've ever had. Sours might be my new favorite thing. Not sure any will ever beat Supplication though

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

One of my best beer drinking experiences I've ever had.

Had it before last year at Hunahpu Day at Cigar City, but it kind of got lost in the incredible smorgasbord of beers we drank. Had it the other day via the kindness of a new found friend, and it blew me away properly.

It's so tart and refreshing I just want to keep drinking it, but at 7% it can sneak up on you. An excellent sour ale. Tart hints of grapes and maybe some lemony notes in the aroma. Good sour funk. Very similar and equally delicious flavor.

Russian River never fails to impress me.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Millions of thanks to ClockworkOrange who shared a bottle of this with me. And also to metallitone1; Thanks Tim so much for hookin me up with one of these. I shared the second bottle with phnphilly and bookert last night and I am in love with this beer, WOW!

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous ruddy copper color with a foamy head that fades fast leaving a little lacing in the glass.

Smell: Rich sour apple aroma with musty woody funk and lactic notes just absolutely flood the nose. There is a distinct sweetness that suggests fruits but it does not detract from the bold sour cherry and Brett that comes close to as funky as a Lambic but narrowly skirts that level of intensity.

Taste: Here the nose skirts the sour side and mellows a bit with sweetness the flavor in the mouth slides over a bit more to the delicious dark side. It does start out with a element of sweet fruit but quickly the lactic notes and wild funk along with a touch of acidity move in on the palate. The wood flavors are strong and seep deep into the cheeks. Tart cherry is evident in the musty funkiness that takes over the entire palate. The best feature is the amazingly long lingering after taste! EXCEPTIONAL!

Mouthfeel: The acidity is the mouth is very solid but not overwhelming. The finish does force a pucker and leave a long lingering aftertaste on the cheeks long after the beer is gone. After the sourness fades there is a residual sweetness that seem to seep back out onto the cheeks.

Drinkability: I LOVE SOUR BEER! This is a beer I could dink forever. Thank you thank you thank you Jason for sharing it with me!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Received in an excellent trade with GClarkage. I can't wait until they get some of this in this area.

This one poured into my chalice a hazy orange-amber with a half-finger head. It subsided to a thin layer, but remained throughout the experience.

Aroma was vinous, some sweet fruit (I know there's cherries, but it wasn't distinctive),and hints of oak. I noticed a little vanilla and a bit of a medicinal tang that was not unpleasant. Excellent

The taste was tart, a little sour, and vinous, with some cherry sweetness and some oaken notes. Extraordinary. Even the aftertaste was great.

Mouthfeel was tart and a little puckering, but not too much. Not as thin as I would have expected, very very good for the style.

Drinkability was wonderful. I saved this for an extra-special occasion, and this was well worth it.

DAMN, this was good.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a deep burgundy with almost no head. Very little retention or lacing. The nose is vinous and tart, with cherries right out in front, followed by the pinot oak and faint whiffs of brett. A very good indication of what's to come. The first sip is tart and bracing. As the tartness fades, sweet and sour cherry flavors push through on a
wave of subdued oak. The brettanomyces funk works against these extreme flavors to provide an earthy balance in the finish. Medium bodied, with bright, sharp carbonation. A sour ale that slaps you in the face and demands your attention.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured in a white wine glass.

This is my second ever bottle of supplication, pretty much my favorite thing ever.

Head dissipated quickly. The nose is incredible. Funk and cherries. The cherries return in the taste along with a faint oak turning tart and finishing dry and almost sweet. It's amazing how the cherries persist throughout without being over the top like a lindeman's. The effervescence sends the beer across my tongue but dries out quickly to leave just a hint of cherries. This is an amazing beer: nuanced and tasty.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

First of all, yes, I paid $18 for this beer, which I think is outrageous, but I always have to grab up Russian River beers when I see them. This beer poured a cloudy reddish-brown color with lots of active carbonation. The head was one finger and pure white and lingered around for awhile, although it didn’t leave much lacing on the glass. On the nose, there was a definite presence of cherries and funk. Minor notes on the nose included oak and a bit of red wine. Complexity much? On the first sip, the first thing I think is that this beer is crazy tart. It took me a few sips to get used to that. It also didn’t have as much funk as I thought it would. After I got used to that, there was definitely oak and cherries in the taste. The carbonation is definitely active and goes well with the brew, which is much lighter than I thought it would be. This brew almost reminds me of a red wine, which also could be because it was aged in Pinot Noir barrels. The finish lingers with tart cherries. Although this would not be a beer I could have every night, the complexity really makes it an amazing beer. I would have this again in a second.

Batch: 04X04

Poured into a tulip glass

Appearance: Dark orange and slight reddish color

Aroma: Lots of Cherries, funky wine smell as well

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated showing a decent amount of tannins

Taste: This beer is quite sour with strong hints of cherry and vinegar, I also detect a faint taste of Pinot noir in it, basically, it tastes a bit like wine.

Overall: It is worth all the hype and all the time it took me to get ahold of this one.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into a goblet. Orangish amber color, off-white head. Carbonation is champagney, effervescent and lively.

Smells beautifully sour. Oak and cherries come out in the background but overall this smells very acidic and tart.

Sweet red fruit fights for its life but the tartness takes over. Notes of cherry, wood, wine grapes, vanilla, brett. Bone dry finish. Great complexity here and a great combination of flavors.

Delicate body, carbonation like champagne, very smooth and bubbly. Clearly a beer to sip but it's very rewarding as it evolves with warmth.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance and Presentation – Batch 001. Cool 12.7 oz caged and corked bottle. The beer pours a fantastic color, amber, orange and red all interplay. On top of the slightly hazy beer is an off-white head with good retention and lacing.

Smell – Right off the bat the cherries are superb, just like dried sour cherries. Not an overwhelming smell but really engaging.

Taste – Up front there are sweet and sour cherries as it moves back the cherries taste dried and tart. There is some sweet malt there throughout, but the cherries are the main player. It is right between sweet and sour, a great balance. This probably has the best fruit flavor of any beer that I have had, if you have ever had dried sour cherries this beer tastes just like that. There are no hops present, but they are certainly not missed.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied with stiff carbonation. Perfect and smooth.

Drinkability and Notes – Insanely drinkable. Many fruit wilds/lambics are either too sour or too sweet, Russian River has found exactly the right blend with this beer. Definitely get your hands on this if you can find it and don’t mind paying a considerable amount to get a small bottle.

Update: After a year I drank my second bottle, the strong cherry has melded into a perfect balance with the malt and matured brett character... A different beer then it was, but as good if not better.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Batch 002 - Bottle says a brown ale aged in oak barrels (pinot noir) for 15 months with cherries added (and brett, lacto & pedio).

A - Pours a murky orange copper with no head. I used a delicate pour after the bottle overflowed when the cork was popped.

S - Sour cherries with oak. Sweet grapes with some musty funk and a vinegar lactic acid blend. It is sour complex and funky with a dose of cherry.

T - Sour cherries with some tannin from the wood followed by a punch of acidic & vinegar sourness that bites at the tongue. The acidity packs a punch. You are left with a grapey pinot noir taste dangling on your tastebuds.

M - Medium bodied with lively carbonation which plays up the acidity.

D - I am beginning to really love the combo of sour beers and cherries (thanks to the help from New Glarus) and Supplication is a great example of this combo. A fantastic beer. Wish I had ordered more.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

12 oz. blue bottle, batch 002, bought at ABC Liquor in Long Beach, CA, on December 10th, 2007,

A: Pours a murky brown, but with a thick, nice, white head that leaves good retention until the beer is drunk, nice lacing there as well, but not a 5.

S: Complex - Brown ale malt, sour cherries - kind of a Warheads/Sour Patch kids smell, but not artificial, real cherries, also balsamic vinegar, tart apples, strawberry, horse blankets and funk, with a hint of gouda or cheddar cheese, red apple peel as well. Possibly the most fragrant, beautiful smelling beer I have ever had.

T: Just as complex as the smell. Tartness and sour cherries at first sip, then the grape skins come in. The pinot noir and barnyard character is there throughout, there is also a light taste of grass and wood, wet hay as well. Once the beer is in your mouth for a couple of seconds, there is this funky hit that is just to die for. Truly fantastic and a brewing work of art.

M: Smooth, acidic, and tart, but it just melts across the tongue at a perfect pH, sublime, definitely has a cidery character to it.

D: This is definitely one of the best beers that I have ever had. I had had it once before when it was first released in stores here in SoCal a few months ago and really liked it, but this time wow. It's so easy to drink, I could have drank it in like 20 minutes, but I milked it for a couple of hours while watching the Santa Clause because it's so damn good. An extraordinary beer, couldn't recommend it more, go buy it, it's worth the price, even if it is about a dollar an ounce.

375ml bottle poured into a oversized wine glass

Appearance : dark cloudy burnt orange in color -tons of white fizzy champagne bubbles form the head and quickly fades away leaving a white ring of bubbles behind.

Smell : abundance of complex aroms that are strangely addictive .Pure funky goodness ... nuff said I wanted to drink a couple of these first before I reviewed to so I could get a handle on this one. Now after having couple more I am blown away by this beer.

Taste : huge flavor profile this is truly a beer/wine hybrid. Tons of tart sour cherries dominant this beer and I cant ever get enough of it

Mouthfeel :light bodied beer with great carbonation

Overall :cant say enough good things about this beer if haven't had it it is worth the I vestment

4.96/5  rDev +10.2%

I love this beer. I don't live in the area so I can't do a proper review of this beer, but I just want to add the praise that this beer deserves. It is so good. I will drive out of my way to visit the brew pub in Santa Rosa. The Russian River beers are outstanding and this is no exception.

4.96/5  rDev +10.2%

On-tap at City Beer Store (SF), had many times before on-tap and bottle. Far and away my favorite RR sour. Supplication pours a dark opaque red. There is minimal carbonation and almost no lacing. The smell is strong - mainly sour cherries, but the red wine barrel is there too. The taste is brilliant - such well balanced fruit and tartness. Despite the tartness, I could (and have) drink this beer several times over. As I said, definitely my favorite RR sour, my favorite American Wild, and certainly in my top 5 of any beer

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company