Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

#51

Ratings: 6,373 |  Reviews: 1,470
4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

Bottled 12/17/12. Poured into snifter glass. Beer had the color of dark orange or dark ruby-like. A couple mm thick head is present. It's a pretty solid foam that appears to be going no where for a while. There is some sediment at the bottom but partly my fault the way I poured it.

Smell: Definitely funky! It's honestly hard to describe but the best I can come up with is fermented tart cherries. Just taking a whiff of this smell and I think whoa something was a lot of fermentation happening in there. There is also notable wine characteristics.

Taste: At first when I take a sip, the sourness and tartness just slaps me across the face. It's almost pungent but in a palatable way plus a bitter component as I move the beer around the mouth. Plenty of sweetness, possibly from the cherries. Wow! Every swallow of a mouthful of this beer is one attack after another. It stays tart the entire time. There are also tart cherries that is easily noticeable. I'm new to sours but this really impressed me. After I finish a sip of the beer I get some flavor of dried cherries at the back of the tongue. The acidity of this beer stays after I finish the sip.

Mouthfeel: it has a medium mouthfeel to it and moderately carbonated.

Overall: This is one heck of a sour beer. Like I said, I've never had many sours so I won't ever forget this one. I hope I can get this again.

4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

Big thanks to a number of BAs for hooking me up with bottles of this. One of them almost killed me, or at least it almost took my eye out when the cork skyrocketed to parts unknown upon the final turn of the loosening of the cage.

A - This brew has almost everything I look for in the style. Very nice ruby hue, translucent, not so much lace, but wild/sour seldom does etc.

S - This brew has almost everything I look for in the style. And as palatable and easily appreciable as any that comes to mind.great tartness, barrel and cherry; sublime, not overly pungent

T - This brew has almost everything I look for in the style. Great cherry flavor. Like a drier version of Drie Fonteinen Oude Kriek, like as if it were made by Cantillon. Shows some notes of the wood char-sulfur that I find in the finest Gueuze.

M - This brew has almost everything I look for in the style. Tart, refreshing, medium bodied, nearly perfect carbonation.

D - This brew has almost everything I look for in the style. Just phenomenal. It is a beer like this that makes a brewery world-famous.

4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

This review is for batch 4.

A-A very unassuming pour. Not that bright just a yellow-orange liquid with a little white head that dissipates quickly.

S-Awesome. You first get the sour then the cherries come through.

T-SOur! Just like I like it. Kick you in your pants kind of sour. SLightly acidic with a little vinegar and of course the cherries are there.

M-Light bodied and highly carobnated.

D-So sour you can't drink a ton of this but that in no way is a bad thing.

4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

Purchased at Stone Brewery Bistro. Man oh man, this was my first American Wild Ale, and it was a real beauty. After my first drink I already knew it was at least in top 10 favorite beers. I would even venture to say that it is my absolute favorite, right up there with De Ranke's Kriek. It smelled somewhat like a lambic, and it had a similar sourness to it, though I could certainly taste the aging in the Pinot Noir wine barrels...though the alcohol was only slightly present in the taste, it more so affected the mouthfeel adding a little warmth to it. Overall, it was a very distinct experience from tasting a lambic and I highly recommend it to anyone. I can't wait to crack open the one I have waiting at home in California as well as the RR Temptation in there as well. This indeed is the future of beer!

4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

I love sours. This is the best sour I've ever had.

Batch 003
Appearance - Pours a reddish-orange brown with a slight tan head that quickly fades.
Smell - Tart cherries, hay, brett funk.
Taste - Puckeringly tart, cherry, some pinot and oak. Awesome, complex flavors.
Mouthfeel - Light to medium-bodied and highly carbonated with fine bubbles. Very nice dry, crisp finish.
Drinkability - Very smooth with great flavor, I could drink this all day.

4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

Let's make it another special night. This one was bottled on July 11th, 2014, so it's about 15 months old. 375 ml bottle into a champagne flute.

A - Pours a deep burnt orange. Translucent with lots of bubbles. It's a light, coppery head that's fizzing away rather quickly. Sharp looking.

N - Yeah, tons of barnyard funk with some sweet, sweet fruits around the edges. You can tell the tartness is lurking somewhere just beneath the surface waiting to pounce on your taste buds.

T - Wow, amazing amounts of tart cherry and more barnyard funk. A slight bitterness rounds out the flavor profile. You get that sense of foundation that all great sours seem to have.

M - It's all froth in the mouth; the liquid froth-ifies the second it hits your tongue. The tartness and combination leave a somewhat dry finish on the tongue, but the residue is everywhere else on the inside of your cheeks and the palate.

O - A real winner. Hope I can get back to Philly for another bottle soon.

4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

Batch 002. Sam from the Stuffed Sandwich was nice enough to sell this to me.

A - The beer pours with a rich foamy head. The color is a light red to amber. Head disipates to a skim of white foam leaving a little lace

S - The beer smells of sour cherries. This would make the brewers of Rodenbach blush.

T - More sour cherries. I also taste the oak barrel. Incredibly balanced.

M - Well carbonated, medium bodied, very dry finish.

D - Incredibly drinkable. This is probably Russian River's most balanced beer. If you can find it, buy it and drink it.

Bottled 8/27/12

Appearance: Cloudy amber with a 1/2 finger of white head that eventually recedes down to a small layer.

Smell: Intense! Definitely some barrel character, cherries, Brettanomyces, strawberries, tart sugary sweetness.

Taste: Tart cherry/strawberry sweetness hit the tip of the tongue right away. The second wave of flavor reveals the deep, complex and delicious barrel character, where the Noir notes really stand out. After the second wave passes, there is some subtle cherry remaining, but it cuts off very sharply and leads into a crisp and dry finish. It's almost like your palate is in such shock from the intense experience, that is has to reset itself for revisiting the intensity of the next sip. It finishes so clean at the end with this sudden cutoff; it's almost like someone flips an off switch at the end of every sip.

Mouthfeel: Perfect balance of weight and carbonation. Wow.

Overall: This is hands down the best sour I've ever had. Would love to get my hands on more of this. Does that sum it up?

4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

Rusty, oxidized brown in color. Cherry, oak and funk on the nose. Baby apple skins. Cherries and a nice bit of backbone from the Pinot Noir barrels. There's a hint of pencil eraser on the finish. A pleasant bit of funkiness and a phenomenal sour. Among the best.

4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

Special thanks to Jetsbeer for this bottle

Batch 001

A: Pours a very murky golden with a tiny bubbly head that subsides to a clingy ring of froth around the tulip. Lacing slowly slides down the glass.

S: Very aromatic with a prominent aroma of pinot noir, and one that would be easily recognised as such even if it were not on the label. Also, a subtle cherry aroma and a bit of funk.

T: Again, lots of pinot noir and cherry in the flavor. The brett provides a complexity that is unparalleled with anything that I've had. Finishes with a sort of menthol/minty taste. Oustanding.

M: Medium-full bodied with a chewy and sticky texture. Quite a bit of carbination from the bottle-conditioning, but it is very complementary.

D: This is ecstasy in a bottle. Go get some. Sell off your children if necessary.

4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

One of the best sours around.

4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

Obtained a 375ml bottle and poured into a snifter glass. The cork popped really loudly upon opening, releasing a nice aroma. The color is that of a cherry/amber with minimal head and lacing. The smell is of cherries and oak; somewhat funky. The taste is delicious and had lambic/gueze-like characteristics to it. It is a shame that this bottle is so small as I could drink a few of these in one sitting. Super delicious and worth seeking for in my opinion! Cheers!

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company