Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

4.5

Reviews: 1,461 | Ratings: 6,293
4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a dark amber with light white head , a little cloudy.

Slight tart aroma, very mellow aroma.

Very crisp tartness, a little lactic, leaves a light sweet and tart thing in the mouth.

Extremely drinkable and delicous, glad I have a growler and will definetly get this when I see it.

Poured from a bottle into a wineglass. Batch 005x4

A Pours a light brown color that has a smallish head that dissipates quickly.

S A very funky sour smell combined with notes of fruit especially cherries.

T As the smell suggests the taste is very sour. There are notes of cherry and some wine with an acidic bite. Some sweetness on the finish.

M The mouthfeel is puckering to say the least. It leaves the same feeling in the mouth that one gets after eating sour candy.

Overall this beer is strange yet amazing at the same time. It's quite a unique beer that you will either love or hate and I love it. It's so far from what most people consider the norm yet it is absolutely delicious. One of my new favorites.

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Cloudy, ruby red liquid. Slightly larger than one-finger, white head; dissolves down to thick lace quickly and clings to the glass as the beer level drops. Fair amount of vigorous carbonation as well.

Smell: Mixture of apple, cherry, and grape aromas. Very strong; flows out of the glass and into my nose from three feet away.

Taste: Wow! This is probably the fullest bodied beer I have drank to date. Tangy cider taste to start, evolving into a bold cherry on the tongue, and back to sharp apple aftershocks. Wish I had enough bottles on hand to do a Temptation/Supplication comparison. Going off memory, this one probably wins.

Mouthfeel: Every drink washes the palate clean. There is just ever so slight a hint of the sour taste left over, but mainly there is a clean slate waiting for the next sip. Sadly there are not enough.

Drinkability: If I lived somewhere that this was readily available I would line my cellar with it. A great brew. The only thing that hindered its drinkability was knowing that once I drank it all I had no more. Gives a whole new meaning to crying in your beer.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%

Tasted this on 5/3/10 with TCGoalie and then again 5/8/10 with Buckyfresh. Thanks for sending it our way, zoso1967!

A: Served into an oversized wine glass, this beer appears as a copper/peach/raspberry colored amalgamation, and is topped with a pillowy beige head that starts at 1 finger high and slowly recedes. The head retention is exceptional. And, boy oh boy, is the lacing amazing! It is uber sticky and looks like the splashing water that Mickey Mouse controls in "Sorcerer's Apprentice." This is the finest lacing I have seen from a beer.

S: Aromas of sour fruitiness greet me when I take this beer deeply into my olfactory. I also detect a slight vinegar presence which contrasts nicely to all sorts of fruit smells: cherry, raspberry, peach, golden delicious apple. There is a healthy dose of funk in this smell, as well. The aroma is quite wine-like, closely related to a Pinot Grigio; this is odd, because the label says that the beer was aged in Pinot Noir barrels. Other aromas I get from this beer are some spice in the form of clove, paprika, and black pepper, and also some fresh woodiness.

T: Wow, sour! My first thought of a similar experience in my mouth is that of sucking on a Sour Patch candy. This beer lights up every crevice of my palate with a dry, biting, cherry, blueberry, golden delicious cider bomb of a flavor. There is some serious funk in the taste, in a great Tower of Power sort of way. You've got to Funkifize! The more I taste this, the more I recognize a similarity to quite dry Champagne.

M: Supplication takes my mouth on a roller coaster ride. The sourness explodes onto every taste bud, lingers for around ten seconds and then really dries out my mouth with a long, dry cherry-like residue.

D: I really enjoy the sour and dry character of this beer, and having split two 12.68 bottles in separate sittings, I would certainly classify this brew as a drawn out tasting sipper. This is by far the most original and exciting beer that I have had in awhile and it really shocked and delighted my taste buds. What a great beer!

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%

A red and ruddy brown appearance with tons of sediment. Good white head leading to sticky lace. Aroma massively tart and sweet cherry and oak.

Taste, astringent, tart, puckering cherry flavor. Again, oak. Tons of brett flavor, lots of tannin grittiness coats the tongue and mouth.
A very chill sweetness to it, along with a gritty earthiness. One of the best wild ales out there, only rivaled in its style by Bruery's oude tart w/ sour cherries.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

375 ml bottle poured into a Russian River Belgian style stemmed glass

A: Pours a reddish brown color with an off white head, some carbonation, hazy, some lacing.

A: Sour tart funkiness, cherries, picking up some oak, white grapes, smells really good.

T: Sourness, cherries, oak, white grapes, finishes funky with more oak and dry.

M: Medium body mouthfeel, less carbonated than it looks.

O: My first sour I had about a year ago and did not like it, I think I had to explore the style first. This is really good, complex, I don't remember getting as much oak but it is well balanced with cherries and the other sour characteristics.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%

Batch 002 - brown ale aged in oak barrels (pinot noir) sour cherries added, creates an awesome smell. Reminds me alot of the blushing monk, by founders. A -- looks like a redissh brown ale in the glass, but if glass is held to the light, the blood redness comes through. S -- I have a thing in the summers for montmercy cheeries, which have a sour -- sweet taste. The smell is so much alike. T -- GOSH i wish i bought more than two bottles, that weekend when RR had them for sale online. The lingering after taste of the exceptional cherries is so amazing. M -- Not tooo sour, but just right. D -- one of the beer geeks holy grails of beer.

This is my first Russian River experience, but so far they are some freaking ballers. OMG i need traders.

Batch 005x2 375ml bottle

Appearance: mahogany brown, thin persistent head, steady stream of bubbles

Smell: Burgundian cherry/raspberry and oak mixed with some hints of funk and sourness. I think some of the Pinot Noir barrels come through. The smell is a bit faint when cold, with more presence as the beer warms up.

Taste: Cherries, red Burgundy, oak (vanilla, spice), sour/malty sweet balance finishing sour. A bit of tobacco/currant. The finish lingers for a while, a sour funkiness. The balance on this beer is impressive. The sourness is noticeable, but doesn't dominate the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, finishes fairly dry.

Drinkability: With the sourness and dry finish, it is easy to drink. Each finish begs the next sip, until the bottle is gone.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%

Served from a bottle at Monk's Cafe in Philly. Bartender poured it perfectly with a "here you go, my friend"m He understands.

The beer is gourgeous in the tulip glass. Caramel colors throughout with delicate, persistent head.

The nose is cherries with hints of the tartness to come.

The taste starts dry, like good brut champagne, then hits the wood & dark cherries, finishing with a refreshing tartness. I don't want the beer to end!

Mouthfeel is perfect for the style. Bubbly & light, again, like good champagne.

Ok, I'll admit, I knew this beer was going to be great. If I could make something this good at home, I don't know if I'd ever leave. Another fantastic offering from one of America's top breweries.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%

Had this at the brewery. Pours a dark, ruby amber. Tastes quite sour, but it's not overpowering. In fact it tastes fucking awesome. LOts of sour cherry notes that just made my mouth water. A little bit of tartness with each sip too. I wish I had another pint right now.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%

Comes in 375 ml bottle with blue, black and white label. Labeled Batch 001. Sent to me in a beer trade with Lou91. Cork is hard to remove then suddenly comes out with one twist. Pours golden with perhaps a slight reddish pink tinge. Carbonation is quite pronounced. It reminds me of champagne. Head dissipates quite quickly leaving transparent large bubbles that lead to a thin film.

Aroma is of extreme sourness combined with a musty oaky smell. A slight vinegar smell tells of sourness.

First taste reveals - wow! The first thing I noticed is the softness and silky feeling of the beer. Mouthfeel is exceptional although some might say a tad on the thin side. Not as sour as the smell indicates. A little bit of a gueze taste with slight hint of cherries. Not pronounced cherry flavor. A coating of silk remains on the tongue for a while. This is not a big huge beer but subtle in it's flavor. The sourness is nice but not overpowering. I'm comparing this to a La Folie I had last night and that was orders of magnitude more sour.

This stuff could be drunk in huge quantitites. I wonder why they make this in 375ml and La Folie in 750. Amazing that the wild bacteria could do this. One of the best tasting experiences I've had since starting beer advocate.

A real eye opener in terms of what can be done with beer in the U.S.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

L - pours a clear reddish copper, but this is so dark and crimson that it's actually opaque! Ominous bubbles linger on the bottom of the glass as the tightly backed, velvety head subsides.

S - sour candy and rusted metal. A dark tart cherry with hints of raspberry and lime. Has an enticing, nostril-filling air about it that's hard to explain. Asserts itself with a strong and commanding present that is unrelenting.

T - artfully crafted. Exerts a potent acidic tartness filled with flavors of cherry, Brett, and oak. An elegant vinous character creeps through toward the third act and finishes strong. This beer knows what it wants and will accept no compromise. Pink grapefruit abounds and coats the mouth with a waxy, oily residue that slowly imparts increasing sourness as time passes. The hops duke it out with the sour in the most civilized way, to the point where you're rooting for both, reflecting on the good points each is making in this debate. It finally hits you that they're not really fighting, but cooperating, and the tingling sensation absorbs into your gums and tongue... marinating.

F - full-bodied and robust. Most sours are weak glass cannons, but this one has the backbone to stay strong!

O - I think I like this more than Consecration. Beautiful menagerie of flavor. Both forceful and classy. This is the kind of man I wish to be when I grow up.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a Russian River tulip. Batch 100815.

Pours a beautiful ruby red, with a tiny off-white, bubbly head. Very nice retention and great lacing along the sides of the glass. Tart cherry, cranberry, and leather round out the aromas. Ripe dark cherry upfront and throughout, mellowed with a touch of oak. A lot of funkiness going on mixed in with wine characteristics from the pinot noir barrel. Very acidic, with a perfect amount of carbonation, and nice and refreshing. One of the better beers I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. World-class beer and a prime example of what other breweries should shoot for when brewing a wild ale.

WOW

I have had the opportunity to try this on tap and in the bottle quite a few times and it never ceases to amaze me every single time I have it.

Pours a deep brown with red highlights. Looks like rotten cherry juice, in the best way.

Smells fantastic. Cherries, lots of tart acidity in the nose, a little bit of vinegar but it is subdued. There's a little bit of funk to it as well.

Taste is even better, no, MUCH better than the nose. This is possibly one of the most complex beers I've ever had, but I can't really tell... I'm too busy enjoying how amazing it tastes to care about complexity. Cherries. Tart, TART, yummy, sour, delicious cherries but not too fruity. Some of the wine taste comes in as well. If you're a wine lover, then you'll enjoy this. It's reminiscent of Rodenbach Grand Cru if you're looking for something to compare it to if you've never had it, but it is SO MUCH better. I get lost drinking this beer, and I can't get enough of it.

I'm literally thinking about moving out to Santa Rosa just so I can go to the Russian River brewpub and drink this every day.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Hazy amber grape fruit color. Head is tight bubbles that last the run of beer.

Smell: Aroma is oak, cherries, yeast...mystery.

Taste: The wild yeasts have been hard at work. Scores of dried apricots, tart cherries, yeasty goodness with a touch of citrus. Truly amazing.

Mouthfeel: Cream and silk, perfectly balanced.

I :heart: this beer.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%

Batch 003 that I brought back from the brewery during a Bay Area trip last March. Great time and waited long enough to pop this cork.

A: Amber/orange pour that fizzled like champagne when poured. The body is translucent, but a tady hazy at the same time. Poured effervecence lingers to form a lily pad of head that has centered in my glass.
S: Perfectly-soured cherries! A nice aroma pronounces the said added fruit along with light grapefruit.
T: Puckering sour deliciousness. Magnificence abounds. Cherries punch out again, as well as brilliant sour familiarity that has come to be expected from RR.
M: A rich, sweet liquid pours over my tongue, across palate and swirls down throat. Perfectly balanced flavors drink extremely well.
D: Rarity and scarceness should not stop you from obtaining/relishing/savoring/enjoying this offering from RR. Amazing! I will jump at the opportunity to enjoy this beer again.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%

A nice two finger head formed atop the beer in my tulip glass. Had a brief stay and fell to a thin cap. Beer is a dull copper color with excellent clarity. At first a touch of lacing, but later it was all over the inside of the glass.

Aroma is awesome. Tart cherries, earthiness and some oak notes. As it warms the aroma mellows and becomes more toasty.

Wow, I just love this. Very nutty, toasted cashews. Of course, nice tart cherries and a touch of vinegar. Wood notes linger in your mouth. Some of the same flavors I encountered in Allagash Vagabond. Once you become accustomed to the sour notes, the flavor just explodes. The oak notes play perfectly with the tart cherry flavor.

Mouth feel is light and fluffy initially then powerful. Carbonation brings the flavor to life.

Ok I'll be trading for more of this. Just an awesome beer to drink. I am making myself savor every last drop however, I want to consume it faster as it's just wonderful. Hats off again to Russian River.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%

Bought these on-line from Russian River and was generously sent to me by 0110x011. I love Russian River and I especially love these sour wild ales. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip. Batch 003.

Appearance- Pours a sunset orangeish pink with a nice big two finger bright white head. The head doesn't leave, ever, and the lacing that is left is bewildering thick and coating.
Smell- Mildly sour and tart with that fantastic yeasty wildness. Feint funk that isn't over the top like some of these can be (definitely not saying that in a bad way) and twinges of bright zesty citrus. The cherries are easily detectable and probably the focal point of the nose. A sort of metallic like sensation is given off; reminiscent of the sensation you get when smelling blood or rusted iron. Beautiful nose!
Taste- Beautifully sour and lactic but not puckering or vinegary. The Brett has done its job well on this one but I don't know how it doesn't have that sour lingering tartness that can sometimes make these brews hard to drink more than one. The cherries are sour and raw with a very fresh vibrant taste. The oak woodiness isn't as prominent as I expected but this brew has more acidic wine character than the others like it I've tried. Apparently the pinot noir has really worked its way into this one. Lightly funky and dank this brew is everything I could want in a wild ale. The aftertaste lingers with sweet twang that is lighty vanilla, lightly cherry.
Mouthfeel- Very sharp aggressive carbonation with a fairly hefty body and a dry quenching finish.
Drinkability- This is one of those brews that I could easily enjoy daily and probably not get sick of it. The sourness isn't over the top but it's prevalent enough to satisfy that sour tooth that I've acquired as of late. Terrifically balanced and funky I think this is a absolutely brilliant brew that must be tried! Big thanks to Matt for sending this my way!

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%

375ml bottle into Duvel tulip. Batch 005X3, so bottled 5/3/10. Thanks to BA msulinski for trading me this bottle!

Appearance: Moderate pour yields a one inch fizzy white head that dissipates slowly. Pours a semi-translucent dark red and leaves large, many-pointed swatches of lacing that don't go away.

Smell: In the bottle: sour cherries and acetic sourness. In the glass: oak, some mild Brett, and even milder sour cherry in the background. Lactic sourness comes out quickly. The smell develops heavily minutes after leaving the bottle, and gets nice and deep with warmth. Almost floral. Good, but a bit faint.

Taste: First sip is sour cherry up front with a big, complex and tangy Brett note, a nice hit of sourness and then a soft but full oak note and more Brett. Sour cherry and tartness come back for the long aftertaste. Second sip brings out some surprisingly distinct and prominent Pinot Noir flavor, then more sour cherry and tons of Brett.

It's been awhile since I've had a wild ale this Bretty... I love it. That said, everything here is in balance. There's multiple types of sourness, a decent brown ale occasionally detectable underneath all the barrel treatment, and lots of strong and interesting flavors constantly emerging.

The sour cherry notes are substantial but mild; this isn't sour cherry forward like Red Poppy (which, deliciously, tastes like drinking sour cherries). The fruit notes are integrated like everything else. Even the dominant Brett manifests as distinct, complimentary notes; tangy up front, deep and musty in back. Despite the 7% ABV, there is not a hint of solvent or booziness anywhere in the vast array of flavors in this beer.

Each sip yields exciting and bold flavors up front and in the middle, then a beautiful, oaky mellowing into the tart and Bretty finish and aftertaste. World class stuff.

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied. Perfect carbonation; abundant but just enough to keep the feel soft and creamy. Despite the numerous types of sourness, the feel is never stinging or abrasive. There's a great clarity to the flavor, bolstered by the excellent mouthfeel.

Overall: This beer is a real treat. It's one of those endlessly complex and delicious beers where even when you write too much in your review, you still haven't properly described all the beautiful things going on in the flavor. When you get the chance to drink this beer, take it.

4.74/5  rDev +5.3%

Warning: Open this bottle over a bowl so that when it overflows you can still pour it into your glass. I did not use a bowl so the table got to drink a few ounces.

Batch 002
Pours a hazy reddish-brown color with a quickly dissipating off-white head. Smell is very tart, there are aromas of cherries, but there isn't a whole lot to them, predominant smells of sour and funk. This is not as sour as some other beers of this style, but that's not the goal, the goal is to create a damn good brew and I would say mission accomplished. There are sour cherries in the taste as well, but it's more of a vinegar-like sourness mixed with some oak and some grapes. Mouthfeel was medium bodied and had medium levels of carbonation, finish was dry. Extremely drinkable, I would have plenty of this often if I were given the chance.

4.74/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

375ml bottle dated 1/7/14 poured into a tulip
A: Medium brown with a slight reddish tint; its head starts out at one-finger, settles to 1/2 finger then lingers at that level
S: Intoxicating with sour cherries, a hint of vinegar, subtle wine/oak notes, and a mix of fresh herbs
T: Can't get better. Sour cherries, cranberries, some barnyard frunk, grass, subtle oak and a very long finish
M: Surprisingly light with pleasant carbonation; quite acidic
O: I don't think I've ever taken smaller sips of a beer trying to savor every last bit. This is fantastic in its complexity and also very refreshing. Wonderful beer

Review from notes

thanks to jdefont!

Batch 4

Pours a reddish with thin white head.  Smells like oak, cherries with some sourness. Tastes like sour cherries, slightly tart, sour finish. You can taste the wood in there as well, very good beer. Drinkability is high, mouthfeel is good, I could drink a lot of these if they distributed to Indiana, that and if they were cheaper.

4.74/5  rDev +5.3%

375ml bottled into a Russian River "TION" glass.

Pours a nice light brown with a small tan head. Aromas of tart cherries, oak, and funkiness. Taste was nothing short of amazing..tart, dry and refreshing. Medium body with just the right amount of carbonation to make the sourness pop. A fantastic example of how a sour beer should be done. If I had access to this all the time I could see it being a regular offering in my fridge.

4.74/5  rDev +5.3%

Our good friend Justin (a.k.a. JustinA1, formerly Unwiseman Crappler) brought this back from his trip to Santa Rosa. Thanks a ton buddy! Much appreciated!

Poured into a Cigar City snifter.

Appearance: Pours out caramel-colored and oily, producing very little head. A very thin, white halo retains for the entire session, and leaves just a touch of lacing. Body is crystal clear and reddish copper. Looks nice.

Smell: Juicy lemon, blackberry tarts, cherries, and, of course, brettanomyces. Sweet and sour aromas come together beautifully! No vinegar here. Mouthwatering!

Taste: Initially sugary, but rapidly switches to sour bret. Cherries are subtle, but there. Dry esters pick up midway through, and I also get just a touch of salt. Finishes like cherry lemonade. I love the sourness, and as Wiseman Zach said (after trying this - his first sour!), "This one really grows on ya." Huge sourness. I love it!

Mouthfeel: Delicately carbonated, dry, and tremendously sour. Lots of mouth-numbing and/or palate-wrecking. Pretty light in body though. Exactly how a wild ale should be.

Drinkability: Sadly, I only got about 4oz. of this. I would've gladly taken more. Thank you SO much Mr. Appler! This is the best sour I've had to date!

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

375ml brown mini-magnum with "Batch Number 001" on the label.

A- Hazed orange amber with a showing of active carbonation, awesome lacing ... it literally sticks every where.

S- Tartness of a lambic but clean like an American ale. Well maybe not totally clean as there is a mild cellar / barn yard character from the wild yeast in the aroma. I can barely pick out the sour cherries in the aroma as the wood blankets the nose. Fruit cake?

T- A thick layer of bready malt runs up against a solid tartness, both don't collide yet they meld together. Big wild yeast flare with a weathered hop bite in the middle. Big snap of tartness flows with a mild sweetness from the cherries and malt. The woodiness is more of back ground character yet adds more complexity to the brew than anything else IMO. More tartness and a growing woody dryness in the finish.

M- Creamy with a bitty wood bite that leads to a dry palate.

D- So easy to quaff that I struggled to savor every drop.

By far the best American beer I have had this year, It is beers like this that inspire and show where modern American brewers can go ... there are no boundaries.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company