Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Reviews: 1,445 | Ratings: 6,170
4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

WOW. Beer, meet cherries. Cherries meet champagne. this is quite simply an astounding beer and I hate fruit in my beer typcially.

A small head coats the sides as you drink this bad boy down. Cherries are front and center followed by the taste of a nice champagne yeast, unlike anything I have ever tasted in a beer before. This was followed by the nice flavors of a mild brown ale. Tart, but not overly slow with a tangy middle and a nice ale finish. Just a real gem.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Big thanks to Aaron for hooking me up with a beer I've really been wanting to try.

Poured into a Claret...

Appearance-Amber body with a bubbly, champagne like two finger off white head. Nice retention and about a 1/3 finger head still sits atop the beer throughout the whole drink.

Smell-First thing I get is the Pinot Noir(my favorite wine). Apple, Pears, Sour cherrys. Some vinegar and a nice amount of pepper. Made me eager to dig in.

Taste-Wow. Big Oak and Sour Cherry. Pinot Noir really comes through. Light bitterness. It's amazing how simple this beer is but how amazing this beer tastes.

Mouthfeel-Extremely drinkable. Medium bodied, champagne like carbonation. Refreshing and easy to drink.

Overall-If this were available in Tx and not so expensive I would drink one every night. The sour and tartness of this beer did not fright me off like others sours I've tried. Crazy drinkable. If you can get this beer and haven't tried it yet, go get it now.

375ml bottle from Supermarket Liquors in Ft. Collins. $12.29. Batch 04X5

A: Hazy brown/burnt orange in color with about half an inch or so of incredibly dense cream colored head. Impressive retention as well as lacing. Fair amount of bubbles moving up from the nucleation point in this goblet.

S: Sour funk, that is the initial go to smell, super acidic sour notes followed by a decent funky sweaty feet smell. Leans more towards the sour cherry and lemon like profile. Then the barnyard really starts to hit in this one, very strong barnyard, moldy straw/hay. Then way in the back is a caramel maltyness as well. This is everything I ask for in a sour, just not that amazing to be a 5.0.

T: Lemon and sour cherries, mix in with an incredible amount of acidic flavors, this sucker is incredibly sour. Wow. As it continues to warm the notes of cherries really play into this one. Behind that is a strong brown ale with notes of caramel and some notes of a light vanilla as well. Definite lingering funk in here the sweaty horse, barnyard phunknastyness lingers forever on the tongue. Just a hint of bitterness on the tongue here that lingers nicely after the finish. My tongue is torn, screaming for another tasty drink as well as reeling from the overall sourness of this one. Awesome.

M: Medium body, creamy, very creamy in the mouth from the perfect carbonation it just rolls across your mouth and down the throat, and then dries up making you want another sip. Doesn't make my spit nearly as thick as other sours, but definitely has a nice lactic profile. Slight little bit of alcohol heat as well.

D: Very high on the drinkability, but I have a feeling enjoying a second one in a sitting wouldn't give the beer its due. Incredibly easy as this basically disappears in your mouth. The sourness would wears on me a bit, but it is incredibly enjoyable. Definitely in that upper echelon of beers for me. Highly recommended.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 375ml bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled on 10/21/13.

A- Pours a reddish-brown medium garnet color with a small slightly pink head that dissipated to a very thin ring. Nice degree of clarity.

S- Sour cherry with some light sweet cherry in there. Lots of barnyard funk and sour apple, slight hint of alcohol.

T- Lots of sour and funk. Sour cherry, not as much as in the aroma. Get some light cereal grain in the finish.

M- Medium, long sourness in the mouth. Very fitting for the style.

O- Some American sours I've had don't deliver on the funk and sourness but this one certainly does. This is one of the best examples of a sour beer I've had. The fruit is there as a support to the funk and sour. It is definitely a sipper of a beer but for all the right reasons. Certainly a beer to seek out if you love sour beers.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Enjoyed (understatement) at the Spinnerstown Hotel in PA. I had heard of this place and cant believe it took me so long to get there, it truly is heaven. Poured a red/brown/amber haziness into tulip with nice head and good lacing. Aroma is of citrus, wine and berries. This beer hit my mouth and it was like the sour patch kids were dancing on my tongue. Cherry and strawberry notes burst forth from the solid carbonation and leave the mouth tingling with joy. Wine and fruit in the crisp finish and I can only say it was worth the wait. Definitely give it a taste if you get the chance.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Cool little corked and caged bottle with Russian River's trademark crappy label art, luckily their beer is some of the best in the world.

Pours up a pristine, clear ruby brown with two fingers of light, airy foam that doesn't collapse as expected, but instead hangs around for the duration.

Russian River's classic sour/wild profile is in full force. Aggressive acid, mildly funky and fruity Brett, with a complementary and complexity-adding note of acetic acid. Some notes of caramel and toffee just barely peek out from behind the wild notes and ultra-dry finish, while musky oak and a little brightness from the cherries rounds it out and softens the edges a bit.

The best American Wild Ale I've sampled to date. Funky, complex, sour, but altogether well-balanced and superbly drinkable.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beauty pours with a light golden-amber color.
There’s a lightly tart aroma to it which is immediately noticeable. The flavor has a pronounced tart/sour cherry character with a highly acidic sourness intensifying the tasting experience. Fantastic brew.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Special thanks to Kingkong for hooking me up with this bottle. 375mL marked as batch 006x1

A: Supplication is mahogany in color, and pours with a quickly fading head. Despite my every attempt at coaxing some sort of froth out of the brew, it remains still after only a few moments. It is clear in the glass, and boasts plenty of lacing.

S: A marvelous bouquet of cherries, rose, Pedro Ximenez, and balsamic is presented elegantly. I can already tell that this is going to be a treat.

T: Delightfully dry, and pleasantly tart, Supplication is packed with oak, raisin, barnyard funk, almond, and a touch of sour cherries. I actually think that the cherry flavor comes from the yeast, while the cherries themselves add to the sherry/raisin tones. There is also a delightful earthiness that I feel is added by the Pinot Noir trapped in the barrels.

M: Light, dry, effervescent, and a touch tannic.

D: A great brew to say the least. This is balanced in its tartness, impressive in both its breadth and depth of flavor, and yet, remains distinct from the sour ales of Belgium. I couldn't justifiably classify this Lambic nor flanders ale; it is its own style. Definitely worth a try if you are fortunate enough to have access to RR's brews, as it is a great example of America's ability to take the best parts of other brewing traditions while adding our own flair.

166th Review
Served into snifter
On-draft at Falling Rock Taphouse

From notes.

A: Medium burgundy. 1.5 (white) fingernail head.

S: Sweet cherry, tart apples, oak, vanilla, and hint of fig. Nice!

T: Much like the nose, but oh so tasty! Sweet cherry up-front with immediate dry tartness. Hints of oak and bacteria blend amazingly well together with a masterful (soft) citrus finish. Delicious through and through and to enjoy it on draft is even better than the bottle.

M: Light-medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Another fantastic beer from RR! This one is usually my go-to beer from RR as it is usually readily available and uber choice all-around. The complexity, yet simplicity is so perfect that words do not do it justice. If you haven't tried it, go get it! If you have tried it and don't like it, send the rest my way. If you enjoy it like me, I dig your style and maybe I'll invite you when I crack open the large format - that will be epic.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the bottle into a Pipeworks snifter.

A: Pours a really nice, deep ruby-mahogany color with zero head whatsoever.

S: Black cherry Warhead candy, dry red wine, vinegar tartness, some funk.

T: Tart, oak-y Pinot flavor immediately, some cherry tartness follows. Dark, dry fruit, some funk in the finish.

M: Dry with light carbonation. Sourness is very pronounced, making this a sipper for sure.

O: Very, very solid,and truly unique. I prefer Consecration over this one, but would never turn it down... definitely one of a kind.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Decided to crack open a bottle I've been aging for a while; I needed a little holiday cheer. Batch 006x2 poured into my Chimay glass.

Poured a hazy reddish hue with a frothy full finger of head which reduced quickly to a thin splotchy layer. I loved the columns of constant tiny bubbles rushing to the surface. It truly appeared as if my glass was alive! There was lots of great sour smell; I caught funky yeast, apple cider vinegar, cherry, and a little bit of general booziness. Very tart taste, which was totally to be expected and what I had anxiously hoped for. I tasted the brett in action (funky!), as well as the cherries and lots of bitter and sour. Also felt like like i tasted a sour apple/pear kind of thing in there. The mouthfeel was perfect- lots of crisp carbonation from the bottle conditioning which gently foamed on my tongue.

All in all, another great Russian River experience and a very satisfied customer! Sours are definitely an acquired taste, but this is among the best of the best. Definitely lives up to the hype, IMO.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Batch 5, duvel tulip, deep mahogany color eggshell colored fluffy head with good retention certainly. Smell has cherries tobacco red grape and a sour phenolic funk. Taste has the cherries show first with an almost medicinal character to it, cherry flavored cough syrup but in a good way a nicer, more memorable way. Mouthfeel is oily and viscous with a nice dryness and the sourness remains for a while. I could have a couple of these but not too many.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Great beer, really interesting sour.

looked different, not something that I would normally see. Darkish brown, good strong apple smell and sour too.

The taste was pretty much exactly what the smell seemed like, was very full and delicious, quite apple-y.

Great beer, excellent way to mix it up between normal styles, and I highly recommend it.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Top 100 beer review... and this one probably always will be.

I'm bracing myself for this one. As many fine beers that I've tried now, this was absolutely my first time ever trying this one.

I need to thank my good buddies Huhzubendah and biglobo8971 for BOTH sending me bottles of this renowned sour.

Batch 005X1 poured into a tulip at cellar temperature.

No working around of the cork necessary.... this sucker just popped right away!

A: Dark amber color, with ruby highlights when held up to a light source. Mildly off-white head became an oblong bubble formation as it died down.

S: The barrel-aging was evident from the get-go. Brett was totally prominent, but not ridiculous. Sour cherries for sure, along with a good bit of pepper.

T: Mildly jaw-locking, with the RR taste profile on the forefront in spades! The barrel-aging definitely tamed the over the top sourness. Mildly wine-like, but not totally.

M: Definitely carbonated and then some, but much more so than than a fine wine. Fairly thick! I didn't find this one vinegary in the least and was totally state of the art in the Mouthfeel category!

O: This one has earned its place as one of the best sours on the market. Amazing stuff!

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

375 ML bottle batch 006X2.

A: Reddish amber with 3/8" soapy white head that dissipated over 2 minutes.

S: Sour cherries and yeast.

T: Starts off like a typical cherry lambic, but is incredibly smooth and dry and leaves very little aftertaste. Very peculiar and interesting, you want to just keep going for more and more in order to try and figure it out...

M: High level of medium carbonation. Wow.

O: I typically don't like sour beers or lambics but I really enjoy this beer. Exceptional.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

375 ml bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Light brown.

Smell - Vinous, sour. Absolutely awesome!

Taste - Sweet, vinous, tart, funky and delicious!

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Medium carbonation. Excellent!!

Overall - Highly recommend!

Grade (A)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Deep copper color body with an ivory white head.

S: Dar sour grapes with pleasant sour esters.

T: Very rich sour dark grape and sour apple flavors. There is a slight sweet caramel malt character as well.

M: Thick body with a great bit from both the alcohol and the carbonation.

O: Great beer. Russian Rivers best rotational sour.

Batch #005x4

Had at Monk's Cafe, my first ever Russian River sour, I trembled with excitement as my waitress brought it to my table.

A- It pours a dark cherry red, almost ruby, with an active head that sticks around the whole time, though never exceeds more than half an inch. Lacing sticks to the cup all the way.

S- Some barnyard funkiness, but not as much as I would have guessed. Still, the brett is there enough to let me know this is a great sour before I even taste it. Lemon juice, vinegar, sour cherries, oak, and candy all are present.

T- oh man! awesome sour taste here, mouth-puckering but really not overpowering. The barrel-aging is worth it, because earthy, oaky char comes through to balance the acidic sourness. I don't drink much wine, but I detect some wine like characters too. Probably the most complex sour I've had, since sourness is only one feature of the multifacted flavor. Mouthfeel is good too, very carbonated.

O- I have read and read and read about Russian River this, Russian River that. Well, there is a reason people are talking, this might be the best beer I have ever had.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Batch 005x3, reviewed 2/1/11. Tulip glass.

A- Clear amber/rosy color. Some sediment in the second pour. Lots of active carbonation. Poured with 1/4" light peachy off-white head that settles to a lingering thin coating. Some light lacing.

S- Funky brett and fruity/cherry sweetness.

T- Funky brett and definitely some lacto as well upfront, extremely tart fruitiness with some cherry notes. Some faint oak at times. A bit of lemony citrus undertones as well. Incredibly smooth, tart, and extremely awesome.

M- Light bodied with tons of fine carbonation. Smooth and dry.

D- Thankfully I don't come across this often so I can honestly write that I will drink it every opportunity I get. Really excellent. The funky brett flavor just shines in this brew. Smooth and tart. Complex and well balanced all around.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: beautiful clear amber with a thin white head
Smell: one of the best noses of any beer I have ever smelled. Sour yeast, red fruit, red wine.
Taste: comes in with a smooth sweetness and finishes with the strong sour tartness on the back end. Very delicate oak and red wine in the background.
Overall: this is a unique and delicate flavor profile. It is outstanding. I highly recommend it

375 ml litter bottle into a la chouffe snifter

had this at DLD from a bottle from the first 3 batches and now the review is from the 6th batch

a- a dark ruby reddish orange, not cloudy but almost opaque, it kind makes me think of thick apple cider in looks
s- some funk, some sweet, slight apple
t-sour sour sour, this bottle wasnt like my first tasting but its not bad by any means, almost like a warhead candy, you can definetely taste the cherries in the finish
m-lively and jaw locking, lots of carbonation, very dry finish
o/d- overall i love it, my favorite sour so far, drinkability- is good its easy to take down,smooth and light

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Bought a bottle and poured into a tulip glass.

My first time pouring bottled beer into a glass but I think I got it to have a decent amount of head and it opened up to some pleasant cider aromas and cherry and malt, the alcohol is also surprisingly apparent on the nose. I was expecting a really bracingly tart beer having had my fair share of berlinner-weissbiers but this was surprisingly toned and balanced. The heaviness of the alcohol goes well to balance out the tartness of the souring bacteria. cherry and yeast are noticeable but are all welcome and quite gorgeously done. For a brett beer I detected no barnyard funk or anything like that, it was just beautifully pleasant and earthy. The aging in pinot barrels brings out some trace wine-like flavors. This really is a beautiful beer, it's not bracingly sour as I was expecting but it's so balanced between sour, and the alcohol and just everything it truly is a wonderful beer.

4.76/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance - Blood red with lots of carbonation very little head

Smell - Sweet cherries and a touch of wood smell. Definitely picking up the wild yeasts as well

Taste - Puckering wild tartness, this one takes you for a ride. The sweet rich cherries dance around your mouth as the wild yeasts make tartness abundant. It bites at your tongue all the way down and leaves a wheat like yeast flavor to linger for just a second before being taken back over by the cherries again and leaves your mouth salivating for more. Great stuff

Mouthfeel - Very carbonated and fairly thin but right in line with a sour

Overall - This is one of the best sours I have ever had and once again Russian River hits a home run on sours. I for one will always look to try any sour beer that Vinnie and the team put out as they are always fantastic. My hats off once again

4.76/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 5/11/2015. Poured from a cork and cage into a snifter, the beer is a vibrant, slightly hazed, ruby-tinted brown coloring, with a thin film of off-white head on the surface, and a ton of carbonation flowing throughout the body. Aromas of tart and sour cherries, dark and sweet pinot notes, earthy undertones, hints of currants and berries, and a solid sour component throughout. Flavors are very sour and tart cherry forward, with a solid acidity and richly sweet backbone. That backbone has notes of cherry, chocolate, currants, and toffee, but it is only an accent character, as the tart and sour blend sweeps it up very quickly. Along with the cherry, your taste buds are overrun with tannins, horseblanket, lemon juice, dry and rich pinot characteristics, wood spice and char, tobacco, and an overall sour tone. Very dynamic and layered palate. The body is dry and crisp, with the increased carbonation cleaning up alongside the astringent sourness. The aftertaste is mostly cherry and wood, but with some earthy notes still lingering here and there. The finish is bone dry, with the sour pucker and acidity wringing every last drop of moisture out of your taste buds, leaving them begging for more. What a tremendous beer!

Batch 06x2.

Shockingly gorgeous burnt amber color. Very surprised as I poured. Red hues almost glowing. very frothy and active white head. Not thick or creamy looking however. More of a bubbly randomness about a half millimeter thick floating atop.

Aroma is funk as expected. barnyard, hay, grass, dark fruit comes through very slightly. some fusal alcohol. Cleaner than expected. thought there would be some more fruit in the aroma.

Taste starts slightly sweet but quickly sours. mouth watering puckerness. Sour cherries, white grapes, lemon rind. Salt. Oak and some very mild nuttiness. You can almost taste a charred wooden barrel if you look for it.
Dry finish keeps calling you back. Savory sourness also contributes to the drinkability. Just an awesome complex flavor to this beer. Excellent.

Probably my favorite beer from russian river. And up there in the top 5 beers of all time for me.

This beer is definately worth the 18 bucks I paid for a small 375 ml bottle.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company