Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Reviews: 1,445 | Ratings: 6,170
4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

From a 12.68 fl oz bottle, batch 04x4

A - Cloudy and brownish / orange in color...looks very inviting.

S - Spicy and wine like in smell. Smell is outstanding!

T - Very very sour like eating sour candy or very sour fruit. definately an interesting taste and very different from beers I usually drink, but i like it.

M - very carbonated reminds me of champagne.

D - Pretty drinkable but very sour so some may not like it.

Overall I enjoyed this beer a lot because it is so unique.

4.44/5  rDev -1.3%

batch 04x4

Opens with a POP. Pours amber orange. Sits in the glass brown/orange and cloudy. Some yeast sediment floating around. Nice coating on the glass.

Smell is exceptional! Pino noir, corriader, booze, grapes, tomatoes, apple cider vinegar.
There is a distinctt tone of brettanomyces here, like some lambics

Tastes sour up front. VERY different. Braggs apple cider vinegar, sour wine, and many sweet overly ripe fruits. The
carbonation makes it seem like it is a very flavorful chamapagne.

A bit too sour for me. makes the mouthfeel a bit difficult to
rate. but still above average here. Very carbonated.
Champangnee like.

drinkibility...same notes as the above moutfeel. Exceptional originality in this brew giving it the high scores it deserves.

4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

I had this on tap on the release day and out of the bottle the day after. I prefer this on tap than in the bottle. The nose and tastes are stronger out of the keg.

The appearance is a murky brown color with lots of purple hues. Like most of the Russian River sours the head is very crisp at first, then goes away by the first few sips. A very crisp carbonation is evident, both in the bottle and on tap.

The smell is of Brett, tart and sour cherries, bits of wooden oak, and just overall funk. These first smells of fresh Supplication are very fruit dominant, reminding me of Consecration.

The taste is superb, just the right combination of tart cherries with that funky brown ale base. Lots of great funk that is brought on by Brett and Pedio among others. Another sour that just keeps the mouth watering after the beer has left.

The mouthfeel is tart and funky. Incredibly mouth watering with such an enjoyable mix of sour characteristics, delicious.

The drinkability is great. Is there any doubt that Russian River makes the best wilds? This is just another testament to a brewer striving for perfection.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

On tap at RR.
Poured a hazy brown colo with red hues, little white head. Nose is sour cherries and a tartness. Taark cherries and a deeper tartness than Consecration. Pretty sweet, booze and all is well put together, creating a good brew. Mouthfeel has a wine like characteristic. Very good sour and I kept going back to this. So good!

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a dark amber with light white head , a little cloudy.

Slight tart aroma, very mellow aroma.

Very crisp tartness, a little lactic, leaves a light sweet and tart thing in the mouth.

Extremely drinkable and delicous, glad I have a growler and will definetly get this when I see it.

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

The best sour I've ever had. Pours a dark orange/light brown that turns golden at the edges in the light. A nice tan head that sticks around for much longer than one would expect, but does eventually disappear. The smell is fantastic... So complex. Sweet sweet dark fruits: lots of cherry and plum along with figs and currants. a great oakiness to compliment the brett smell that is so overwhelmingly awesome. I find it hard to really get a grip on everything that eminates from a glass of supplication.

The flavor is equally phenomenal. Everything from the aroma is there in a big way. Lots of oak and cherries up front to start off sweet, and then it moves into the more subtle fruit flavors with the plum and figs. Raisins are even perceptible. Some alcohol to go along with the beautiful tartness in the finish and sweet sweet aftertaste that keeps you reaching for so much more. Just a really, super complex, ridiculously well made beer.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and wonderful with, of course, excessive carbonation. The drinkability is as good as any sour out there.

This beer brings tears to my eyes. Highly recommended.

4.23/5  rDev -6%

New 375ml bottling, Batch 4x2

Clear reddish-amber. Plenty of head upon pouring which dies down to a steady cap of bubbles. Plenty of lacing. Swirling the glass brings back a really nice head again.

The aroma is bright and tart. The tartness is acetic, and smells slightly oaky as well.

Taste starts bracingly sour (duh). More vinager-y tartness. Cherries are evident in the middle, and then finishes with a tannic dryness. Sour, yet very drinkable and refreshing!

4.68/5  rDev +4%

02.03.10 at City Beer

A: kind of a lighter, more clear brown

S: this barnyard-y smell always makes me think of hay

T: a rounded, more delicate sour, very well-balanced by the fruit

M: tingles nicely on the tongue with the tartness and carbonation level

D: so, so good

This batch is even better than the last!

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into a 7 oz champagne flute and allowed this to warm to about 50 degrees before digging into it.

A: Pours a darkish peach, almost has some brownish color to it. There is a ring of head around the edges of the glass, but as with most wilds that I have tried, the carbonation does not manifest itself in any form of visible head. Additionally, the carbonation seems to be better masked than I have seen in bottled wilds. There are no coarse bubbles on the sides of the glass submerged in the beer (as you would see in soda). This is in stark contrast to the Yellow Bus and Frambozen that I tried at my last tasting of sours.

S: Obviously, one of the dominant aromas is the strong brettanomyces funk, but there is much more to this beer than just sourness. Very evident is a musty and tart cherry character, undoubtedly from the cherries used in the creation of this beer. However, there is also a sweet aspect to this that I did not expect. It doesn't come from any malt profile, so I suspect that it is again the cherries.

T: The first striking thing about this beer once it is on my palate is that it is much more sour than I had initially expected after the aroma was mild and somewhat sweet. This is definitely a Russian River sour, as their yeast strain comes though very evidently. This sour flavor is complemented nicely by an earthiness that comes from the barrel aging, sweetness from the cherries, and an underlying red wine acidity from the pinot noir aging.

M/D: This beer is very desirable on pretty much every level. Despite looking flat, Supplication on tap surprises with a tingly feeling of carbonation that envelops the palate, working with the yeast to give a mouth-puckering feeling. As this was the latest batch of Supplication, I imagine that a couple more months of aging will do this beer a lot of good as the sour notes mature and amplify. However, the flavor and the balance of sweet and sourness in the this beer is impressive, to say the least.

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

A bottle from Batch 003 generously shared by Andy yesterday at the tasting.

A: The pour is a hazy, light brownish red (not exactly amber) color with a sticky white head.

S: The cherries have diminished quite a bit from this one in the going on two years since it's release. In their place, a vinegar aroma has started to set in. The oak and funk are still prominent and help to distract you from the acetic qualities.

T: The cherries seem to be lingering a bit in terms of the flavor. The vinegar is not quite as pronounced as it is in the nose, but still detectable. There is also some lactic sourness and a mild Brett funk and definitely dryness.

M: The body is medium with a a slight slickness on the tongue. A moderate level of carbonation provides a bit of dryness to the finish.

D: Just as drinkable as the fresh batch that will be released on Friday. That said, I think this one should be consumed fairly soon, unless more vinegar is your thing in sours.

4.71/5  rDev +4.7%

Source/Serving: Draft

Smell: Molasses, exceedingly ripe plum, some sour, a little brett/horsey notes, and tart citrus hops. Awesome.

Taste: Wow. Quite tart but the fruit flavor is overwhelming. Its like tart cherry candy in the best way possible. Sweet ripe plums and cherries collide with honey and refreshing yeast and spicy notes to just make everything delightful. Wood notes lay low but add character. Toasted caramel emerges as the temperature increases a bit.

Finish is quick, citrusy, sour and crisp - doesn't linger at all.

Notes: Amazing brew. My favorite between RR temptation, consecration, and this...though it is a close one.

4.36/5  rDev -3.1%

Had this on tap at the Blind Lady Ale House. Pours out with a nice copper color, which I'm guessing comes from the cherries, decent amount of head in the glass. Smell and taste were almost identical for me... tart cherries, with just a hint of sweetness. I felt this beer was perfectly carbonated, dry like a champagne and incredibly easy to drink. The bar listed it at 9% abv, though it's listed differently here, either way, it was a beer where the alcohol creeps up on you so beware! I had read that the beer is barrel aged, but I didn't really get "barrel" flavors as you might with some other B.A. beers. Another home run from Russian River.

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

On tap at the brewpub today in an unbranded version of their -tion glass. Served too cold for my tastes so I had several glasses of water while it warmed.

Pale, slightly hazy, almost rust colored beer. Head is off white and quickly recedes to an a small ring but to be fair this is a Wild Ale on draft so in my experience a large persistent head is not to be expected.

Both sour and sweet cherries are quite clear on the aroma, more so than I remember from my previous few experiences with this beer. Other notes include yeast and fresh bread. Not as sour/acidic as I remember but this is likely much fresher than the last time I tried it.

The acidity I was missing on the aroma is there on the flavor, especially on the entry and mid sip but still finishes somewhat fruity. Has a delayed aftertaste which is sour without being obviously "buggy". There's a slight red wine vinegar accent but nowhere near as intense as that characteristic can be in some AWA's and lambics. The more I drink the more the different flavors amalgamate and the more I seem to enjoy it.

Carbonation is probably on the high side as has been my experience with most of Vinnie's wilds. The balance of the various flavors keeps drinkability very high. I'm actually enjoying this much more than I expected. Too bad I couldn't convince them to sell me a growler. Can't wait for the bottles to come out next month.

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

375ml bottle. Batch 003. Poured into a tulip glass. Purchased at the brewery when it was first released and kept at cellar temperature. Poured into a tulip glass. Comes in at 7.00%.

A-Pours a golden orange amber color. It has a two finger almost tan colored head that has incredible retention and rests at about half of its original size. The head results in great streaks of lace after every sip. Large amounts of bubbles can be seen continuously breaking from the bottom of the glass.

S-As this bottle is now almost two years old, the pinot noir character has reduced along with the aroma of fresh cherries. It now is a lot more acidic/vinegar-like. The sour/tart cherries can be detected along with some musty oak barrel aroma. There is also definite funk lingering in the nose. The funk and sour elements are quite balanced.

T-It starts with sour/tart cherries. It is not overwhelmingly tart/sour at the start. Mid-sip it has some sweetness from the brown ale base beer and some vanilla from the pak barrels. As it goes down is when its enhanced acidic/vinegar character is a lot more noticeable. It is a lot stronger than when it was fresh. A touch below Beatification's sour level, but definitely stronger than Temptation.

M-Medium bodied, dry, a little oily, and a comfortable carbonation level.

D-After almost two years it is interesting to see how much more tart/sour this beer has become. It is a lot more accessible when fresh. I liked it with age, but miss some of the pinot noir character of a fresh bottle.

I am curious to see how my remaining bottles will continue to age. This beer can be aged for up to four years. I can only imagine it will be quite sour in another year or two.

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

Sampled on draft at the brewpub in Santa Rosa.

Pours a deep dark cherry red mahogany color which is pretty cloudy and completely opaque. Frothy 1.5 finger off white head with pretty good retention, only slowly fading into a lasting ring that leaves streaks of soapy lacing behind.

I could smell this beer coming my way from across the room. Lots of eRthy brettu funk with a pro
inent barnyard horseblanlet character in the nose. Very vinous with lots of dark fruit balancing out the brett, especially sour dark cherry, grape, plum and raisin.

Funky tart Pickering mouthfeel that isn't acidic in the least bit. Perfect balance of brettu funky sourness, slight malt and sweet dark fruit notes. Lots of spur dark cherrry, vinous grape, raisin and plum. The tart curries really come through and make this beer amazing well balanced and quaffable. The ABV is nearly undetectable and there is a slightly vinegary Pickering aftertaste that leaves me salivating for another gulp. I love this damn beer and am so excited to try it on tap. This further cents my opinion that Russian River is the best brewery on the planet. Sek tuis beer out at any cost, especially on draft.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

The fiery glow casts a shadow against the darkness, sparks and flame, the cloudy red-orange of a cold night with heat emanating from the flames... True lambic appearance, as the fluff forms just a bit of soap-bubble but then goes on its' way, leaving but a few spots.
"We'll have to make a run for it, the earth caving..."
"We can't hold out much longer!"
"Then GO ON!"
Like so many huskies with a "MUSH!" and a whip, we force ourselves towards the unbearable heat. The wind whipping our backs and the flames licking our faces, and the aromas come.
Huge funk, predominantly brettanomyces and pediococcus, and as we look to our left and groan under the weight, the cherry comes out a bit as well... Old, mouldy, sour cherries that have sat stagnant for so long, as a depth of sweetness behind the wall of sour leaves a massive complexity and we leap through the flames as if our lives depend on it... perhaps they do... close your eyes and embrace the heat, pretend it is but a warmth, keep leaping, don't open your eyes, we must make it...

Now we can breathe again. We pass the flagon around with the flames at our heels, shrieking and mocking us like a cabbage beset with worms, all writhing and stretching, first this way, then that. So then, here they are, the characteristics, this is what we taste.
Puckering and lightly metallic, with the cherry and oakiness a dominating monstrosity in the middle. The back of the tongue is more lactic and brett sour, with some lemon notes joining the foray simply for good measure. The lingering finish shows itself to be exceedingly dry, but still retains a hint of cherry-like sweetness beyond the immense sour.
The feelings in the mouth are not as substantial... The carbonation is very light, leading into a very dry and puckering finish. It coats our mouths with a mega-warheads like sour, the immense sourness that I can only recall, as it has been so long...
A grin and a glance at our comrades, we've run through it yet again, we're warm and cheery now... may it ever be thus.

Bottle batch 002. A bit of a gusher. Pours reddish brown with a thick foamy off-white head. Smells of damp oak, tart cherries, grassy brett funk, some candi sugar and a bit of port. Flavor is strong sour cherry with a delicate creamy sweetness balancing it. There is a strong oak note and grassy funk from the brett, a bit vinous too. Medium body with a very lively carbonation.

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

Largadeer earned himself a spot in the Book of Heroic Successes by procuring a growler of this batch of Supplication (which I gather is different from batch 004 that will be released in February). Thank you, Chris.

The growler doesn't really pop (it's over 2 weeks old at this point), but the pour is quite gorgeous. Mildly hazy reddish brown with a dense, beige head with excellent retention and some lacing, this beer also has a gentle but steady stream of carbonation. The head lasts until I drink my entire -TION tulips worth

The nose makes my toes curl. An absolutely fantastic aroma that's a blend of funk, acids, fruits and wine, the balance is quite breathtaking. Opening with a blend of fruity cherries, a little acetic character and a little lactic sourness, the red wine (pinot noir, but I doubt I could nail it at that) character is excellent too. In addition to the cherries, I also get a little raspberry-like character, a little leather, a little brown sugar-like sweetness. The funk is a blend of barnyard, lemon and earthy hay. Mildly oaky with a little vanilla too. Fabulous.

The palate opens with a sharp sourness, a blend of vinegar-like acidity, cherry sourness followed quickly by a rather big vinous character, more than I remember in the previous batches. The leathery, berry-like, mild cocoa notes of the wine pair beautifully with sourness that opens the palate. Funk character is moderate, dominated just a little bit by the sourness and fruit character. Mildly lactic on the finish, the clean sourness enhances the vinous character. Tannic character is moderate, appearing on the finish that's mildly drying. Medium-light in body with a moderate level of carbonation, this beer is quite stunning.

A growlerful? Well, I can't remember the last one I did that with, but the only one I came close to was with Younger. This beer just goes to show Vinnie's genius, I am looking forward to the next 3 hours with this beer.

Fresh, this batch is a bit more vinous than I remember previous batches being. Fantastic stuff

I'm currently on my 5th glass, and have to admit that I am completely loving the big, fruity, sour and vinous character of this beer.

**Edit 07 Oct 2013**
Bottle, batch 003. Over 5 years old at this point. The last time I had this particular batch was in the company of friends in DC right before we moved out west, and today's a mighty special day as well.

The nose is still pretty excellent. Sharp sourness, growing increasingly Flemish with a moderate vinous note. Clean lactic and pedio sourness with a moderate funk (earth, lemon, a touch of mushroom), remarkably bright with a lovely cherry character. The palate is excellent. Bright, sharp, clean, sour and very well balanced, none the poorer for its age with the classic blend of soft vinous notes, bright acidity, modest funk and a little earth. Excellent. 4.5/4.5/4.5

**Edit 01 Feb 2014**
Batch 4. My last bottle from a case I split with Scott Holland back in the day.

The sourness has faded some, allowing funk, earth and lemon to dominate along with a blend of loam and petrichor. Beautiful stuff. Bright, cherry sharpness. Quaffable. Funky cherry sourness.

**Edit 08 Feb 2015**
My last bottle of batch 3.

Growing vinous with age, the pinot character is really dining along with a soft mushroom like funk. The Chris have faded but the vinous notes keep the memory alive. Kinda like a Bon Chien but lighter. Awesome.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Russian River, I salute you. Poured from the bottle into my Bruery tulip.

Clear, beautiful ruddy brown with golden highlights. A thin cap forms, but only a collar remains after a couple of minutes. The color reminds me of what a deep sunset on the beach looks like.

Smell: Yep, there's the Russian River signature. Unmistakable sourness awaits me. Tart cherries, wood, musty old attic, and a faint pungent smell of putrefaction. I know that last item probably sounds bad, but I think it's goddamn great.

Taste is exquisite. This bottle is not particularly fresh, but it was stored in cold conditions for a long time. I think this is probably why the cherries are still somewhat prominent here. Cherry, oak, red wine, all taking turns dancing with the buggy acidity. Quick finish.

Mouthfeel is very good. Very dry, crisp finish, with lively carbonation. The carbonation is, at first, a tiny bit harsh... a few minutes into the glass it has smoothed out considerably.

Drinkability: I might drink gallons of this when bottles are released later this year. Fantastically drinkable.

This and Consecration (Batch 1) are my two favorite Russian River sours to date. This is great stuff. I am looking forward to trying it fresh.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Although I went to RR to try the oh-so-raved-about-Plinys (with reason), the beer that absolutely floored me was Supplication. This ranks in the top 10 beers I've ever had (which is determined by a complex algorithm involving the beer, where I had it, and the overall experience of drinking said beer).

Color is bronze to orange - darker with hints of evil lurking.

Wonderful sour cherries and wood in the nose. Earthy, musky, clean forest decay. Just what you want from a wild.

Cherry tartness up front as you'd expect, but eased out and rounded by sweet ripe fruit and then the dryness of the oak lingers. The acitic tannins sit on the back center of your tongue forever, just tempting you to mellow them out again with another sip.

Despite the complex flavors and darker character, I found this beer to have a lighter mouthfeel due to its tartness and dryness.

Drank a ton. Too much, actually. Paid for it the next day in the Muir Woods bathroom (or was it the oysters?).

Was worth the payment, regardless.

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%

One of a number of very special things I had at Russian River recently, and my overall favourite.

Sort-of-murky reddish brown with no head to speak of. Looks like some kind of wood varnish, and smells a little like it too - woody and acidic, with sour cherries, oxidised red wine, apple cider vinegar and band-aids.

The taste is similar to the above description, in the best possible way. Big dark cherries and grapes to the fore, with all the other stuff in the mix. Earthy, drying tannins and a tantalizingly ephemeral hint of sweetness. Complex as hell, and utterly refreshing and invigorating.

Light in feel and briskly carbonated, perfectly balanced and ridiculously complex without ever being a "challenge". I had another few things I desperately wanted to try, not knowing when and if I'll ever be back in Santa Rosa, but I could have had a few more of these, easy. Just dreamy.

4.08/5  rDev -9.3%

I drank this batch 003 from a 375ml bottle into a Rochefort glass.

The beer pours a brownish ornange more of an orange tinge with a about 2 fingers of head that has a dark orange tint to it. The retention is great, the head lasts about 5 minuts but even after that is a heavy head that lasts forever. The lacing is great as well.

The aroma is slightly disappointing because its relatively light and not overtly complex. Mostly you just get some tartness overall with a little oak at the.

The taste is good not great. Just like the aroma its not complex just a very nice sour note from start to finish. I love sour but I want to be rewarded as well. At the end I get a little wood.

The feel is nice and coats well, drinkability is down a tad.

Overall, this is a pretty good wild ale but nothing spectactular. I prefer the RR Temptation.

4.37/5  rDev -2.9%

Edited to reflect newer batches (at the time of this writing, batch 006). There's always a minor rearrangement every time Russian River releases a new batch of sours. As of 10/26/2011, the latest Temptation is winning, with Consecration next, and Supplication last.

All right, I should probably review this since I've had in on tap multiple times now. Batch 004 at the Bistro -bal Fest and again on tap at the Rose & Crown in Palo Alto.

A: Pours a murky amber with glowing orange highlights when held to the light. It has a finger of cream-colored head that retains pretty well; it eventually retreats into a clump of bubbles on the brew and a very thin collar, with no lacing.

S: What a fantastic aroma. It has the right balance of tart, sour cherries, acetic acid, and lactic sourness. Tannins come through quite strongly, along with grapes (I didn't pick up on this until largadeer pointed it out, but afterward, it was obvious). Just the slightest hint of brett, with a musty leather undercurrent.

T: Sour cherries and more than a hint of dark red grapes, giving it a vinous quality right from the start. It's lactic up front, with the mid-taste seeing an evolution of tannins and light leather. The finish is acetic and dry, but not so overwhelming that it burns the throat. There is a little lingering sourness in the aftertaste.

M: I was very pleased with the balance of characteristics here. I don't enjoy super-dry or super-acetic beers; Supplication delivers both qualities in moderation, producing a sublime drinking experience. It's light-bodied with moderate carbonation that cleanses the palate very well.

D: I had two 10oz pours of this and strongly considered a third. In fact, as I'm typing this up, I'm tempted to go back and get said third. Probably my favorite Russian River wild ale now that Consecration's recipe has changed.

4.32/5  rDev -4%

Had on tap at the brewpub in the newer style Russian River glass as opposed to the old tulip style.

This beer came out with next to no head. There was a thin veil of bubbles across the top of the beer but as I drank it down none stuck to the sides of the glass. The color was decided caramel with the translucent liquid having a honey color when held up to a light source.

Boom, this beer smells like Russian River. That Brett funk is here with each waft smelling more and more like the cork of a freshly popped bottle of red wine. with a deeper inhale I get some oak chords along with that indescribable wet barnyard stench.

This is a chewable beer. There is very little carb bite to it and though the beer itself might not be thick, my tongue thinks it is due to its mellow, nearly fizz free texture.

This beer is TART. Like taking a hit of apple cider vinegar tart. It reminds me of that sour feeling you get when you eat dried apricots, minus the apricot flavor of course, a natural sour vibe abounds. There is a bit of tart cherry flavor to this guy and the barrel aging is certainly noticeable with the hint of oak. Truly a sour head's delight.

Not too high drinkability as I find this RR sour in particular to have a cumulative puckering affect. Really only one glass is suitable, but that one glass is really a good one.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

On tap ar russian river

Ar: Classic russian river sour aroma, fruity, grapes, light acetic acid, toasty earth, pleasant mix of acid/fruit.

Ap: hazy light amber, very low off white head, fair retention, light lacing.

F: rather tart, floral, strong acid again the classic russian river sour, tart berries, earthy, light candy sweetness but balanced out by the acid, mild darker caramel, toasty/nutty malt, lots of berries

M: medium/high carbonaiton, medium/light mouthfeel, warming acid end.

O: grapey, subdued oak, lots of acid but balanced well, one of the best rr sours

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company