Love Belgian Beer?

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

4.5

Reviews: 1,432 | Ratings: 6,102
4.62/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A. Copper hues pour without any semblance of foam but there is some trickling streams of bubbles spattered about. Slight haze.

S. Oak, earth, tart cherries, mild funk

T/M. Yum! A light tartness plays very well with a light cherry sweetness, dry oak along with the tartness give a puckering feel. Well carbonated and feels effervescent. As it warms, more barnyard funk comes out.

O. Quite delicious and I was very happy to drink it!

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

Thanks to JeffKenner for the chance to try this.

A- Poured from a 325ml bottle noted Batch #002 into a snifter. Pours a reddish-brown with no head just some small bubbles piled up on the side of the glass. This is a very hazy beer also.

S- Definite funk/sour in the nose. Not over-powering but very nice to me. I get cherries, melon, and apple. You know for sure you are in for a sour and tangy treat.

T- Apples at first followed by a sour cherry flavor. There is a pedio/lacto sourness throughout. This sour stays in your mouth and amplifies the other flavors. I don't taste an over strong acetobactor flavor in this. Vinnie has really kept the good bugs in and the bad ones out.

M- Incredible. Great natural carbonation with a very creamy mouthfeel. This really sticks around in your mouth but not to the point of being overly sweet or sour.

D- I could drink this all night. I really like this beer. If I was to be perfectly honest, I didn't like cherry flavor only a few months ago. I have really begun to enjoy cherry flavor in beer. This is an incredible beer. I wish I had a case!

4.23/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Batch 011615

This was my first American Wild Ale I have ever tasted and pretty damn good.

Definitely could taste the cherries, pinot noir and oak - Since this was my first time trying this I expected this to be super sour and tart, but it was perfectly balanced and not overbearingly sour. Definitely will have to get more of RR's beers!

3.93/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Sharing a birthday with a bottle dated 1/16/15
No hiding the use of pinot barrels or cherries in this one. Moderately strong barrel character, one of the oakier sours I've had and accurately reflects the time some of these blends spent in wood. Cherry taste is more earthy than sweet/tart. Very restrained sourness to the beer, can see why this is so popular as it serves as a great intro to the sour style. I like them a little more aggressive than this but it's easy to see how this beer has stood the test of time.

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured a cloudy, bloodied bronze with one finger of head with decent retention.

The aroma is initially all lactic sourness, but this gives way to a big, musty, horse-funk that then dominates. There's a bit of warm, woody breadth in the back, and I'm looking for the cherries but I'm not finding them - yet...

Tingly-tart all over the tongue, and just when you recover, the brett-funk dryness comes in to attack. Despite the obvious and major role of lacto, brett, and pediococcus, the beer isn't *completely* dry. An impression of malt remains, along with a subdued but disctinct sweet fruit element (the cherries?)

Another amazing, boundary-pushing beer from Vinnie. I only wish I had another bottle to cellar. I have a strong suspicion that this beer will become doubly amazing with a few years on it...

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Received in a recent trade with colonelforbin. I've been waiting to try one of these and am damn excited to crack it open! Have a few more coming soon! Split with friends during our Wednesday gathering. Poured into my Portsmouth snifter.

Looks a murky, hazy orange-brown with a fizzy, sand-colored head made of loosely packed bubbles: Champagne-esque. This is one cloudy beer...of course, I ignored the label and dumped all of that goodness into the glass! Thick spotted lacing was left behind - I drank this one pretty quickly and there was quite a bit lacing around at the end!

I absolutely love that funky smell that comes from the brettanomyces and the lactobacillus. Nobody does it better than Vinnie. There is definitely a smell coming from the cherries - a bit of fruity sweetness. I'm not generally very good at discerning the wood smell in beers, but this one is obvious. Smells great!

Ah, just as I had hoped! A tiny prologue of sweetness before that tart blast! The cherries are a bit more subdued than I anticipated, but I appreciate that...I'm not a fan of sweet beers so this one makes the cut. While the cherries are a bit more subtle, the wood is definitely not - it is obviously in there. And the light wine qualities are certainly around as well. Light, puckering, tart, and full of good. And it all lingers. The fizzy carbonation does not detract...pretty much expected with the style.

Overall, I must admit that I was extremely impressed with this beer. I absolutely love Russian River's Temptation, and Supplication is right there with it. I really need to compare side by side. It's a damn shame the price tag is what it is...oh yeah, and that it isn't available in Indiana. Outstanding!

Consumed: 3/31/2010

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle batch 004x1 purchased at Capone's last week.
Poured into an oversized wine glass. Great copper color with a minimal beige head that didn't last long. Minor lacing down the glass. Smells great, big burst of cherries, wood and some funkiness. The taste is where this beer really shines in my book. It's dominated by cherries with a great sourness but nothing over the top. Very, very delicious beer. I felt like I was flying through this beer so I had to slow myself down to really enjoy it. Mouthfeel is excellent as well. The carbonation is spot on and it has a sort of champagne quality that coast your tongue. Drinkability is off the charts in my opinion. Feel like I could sip on this all day long. Temptation and consecration were very good but I think supplication is my favorite of the 3. I will get more, highly recommended.

4.14/5  rDev -8%

Batch 005x4, poured into a snifter.

Murky brown in color, dark orange/red/rust when held to the light.  Aggressive pour yields a finger thick off white head with settles to a film.

The nose is strong, I can smell it while it sits at the table.  Right up front is a winey character, and strong notes of oak aging.  Sour dark cherries, Brett, and maybe some other dark fruits.

The taste is immediately sour cherries and a nice oak background.  The sour tartness hangs on to the end.  The finish is sour and very funky.

Mouthfeel is effervescent and full bodied.  Missing the light refreshing feel I like in my sours.

Overall, another nice sour offering from Russian River.  Although this one is pretty straight forward sour cherries on oak, it's nice.

4.77/5  rDev +6%

12.68 oz bottle poured into tulip glass. Batch 7

A - Pours a hazy reddish orange with a one-finger, bubbly off-white head. Head dissipates rather quickly. Not much lacing. Copious amounts of carbonation could be seen shooting up the sides and center of the glass. Some sediment floating around.

S - What a pleasant aroma. Funky barnyard aromas from the Brett and an acidic sourness hit the nose. A tartness from the cherries is apparent. The barrel aging leaves a noticeable mark as well. Vinous qualities from the pinot noir along with some oak linger in the background.

T - Taste is just a pleasant. A wave of tartness from the sour cherries overcome the palate. Grape tannins and vinous elements break through midway to break up the tartness a bit. A lactic sourness combines with some Brett funk to finish it out. No mistaking here: this beer is tart and sour.

M - Crisp, light body with tons of prickly carbonation. A dry finish that left me wanting another sip. Very easy beer to drink, even for the tartness level.

O - Top notch. Vinnie and Russian River know how to make an outstanding beer. The pinot noir barrels and cherries really bring something special to this beer. Not just one of my favorite sours but one of my beers period. This one is not for someone trying to break into sours but an absolute must try for someone who appreciates the style. I just wish this beer wasn't so expensive.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Light head upon pour. Falls to a nice mat of foam around the rim of the glass. Laces very well. Amazing rich auburn color.

S- Wonderful aroma. Tart cherries. Wet dog and Sweet hay.

T- This is a wonderful experience its a bit more tart then Temptation but its a nice play on a sour. The sweet cherries come through nicely. Sweet malt

M - Lovely tang on the tongue. Plenty of carbonation.

O - This is an amazing sour. I wish I had move.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

Graduation Sour Tasting. Split 4 ways. This was the last of the 20 or so sours we tasted over 8 1/2 hours. Thanks again to rhinos00, pecorasc, and beace for making this epic tasting happen!

A: Dark carmel color. Slightly hazy. Nice white head with some decent lacing.

S: Smell some caramel malts and funkiness with some cherry and dark fruit undertones.

T: Very crisp tasting beer. Lots of tart cherry and funk flavors.

M: Nicely carbonated and good full body.

D: Very drinkable. This sour was refreshing and a really great beer. Wished I had more, but my stomach was about to punch me in the face if I drank anymore sour beer. A great ending to an epic sour tasting that I will never forget.

2.1/5  rDev -53.3%

A. Semi peachish amber color. Pours with plenty of head, roughly 1.5 fingers.

Smell. You sure this is beer? lol. Smells of heavy influence of the wine barrel. Slight tone of fruit.

Taste. WOW. Holey f*ck. 4 years ago, regardless of the $12 price point I would have poured this beer out. Now, understanding the process that made this beer it is impressive. This is a palette cleanser. This is like wine and beer had an affair and this is the illegitimate child from that process. Very tart and sour with plenty of pinot noir tones.

Mouthfeel. Tart, dry, semi bitter. SOUR. very nice.

Overall: If you are in search of a sour beer, this is one of the tops, This will light your taste buds up like licking a 9 volt battery!And thats about it, not much for flavor, price point is off by a mile, and this is something that you would rather have a sample of, not too many people would sit down and enjoy this beer IMO, this is one you split between 5 or 6 people just to say you've had it.

4.51/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Beautiful cloudy red orange color with off-white head. Micro bubble carbonation. When the glass is tilted, the bubbles cling to the side and shimmer on the way back to the liquid. The head is thin but lasts until the end.

S: Sour, berrylike smell. Oak and sharp yeast.

T: Very tart candy sourness from the start. Some woody notes, fruit, light alcohol, and not much else. This beer is much more simple than I thought it would be from everyone elses description, but it is still very good. To me, it does taste like something is missing...

M: Crisp crisp crisp. Clean and tingly and bubbly.

D: Very high. I would drink this by the pitcher if it were possible. A really great beer. I love sours, and this one is no exception. However, I don't think it is the sour that all others should be judged by.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

A - Crystal clear reddish orange with lots of carbonation and a few fingers fizzy head. Nice.

S - Some nice sour funk and cherry tartness. As it warms up the cherry comes out more.

T - Quite good -- lots of tart, sour cherry, sour funkiness, and more sour. Not quite mouth-puckering, but quite sour. Some hints of oak, and a base of simple, sweet malt underneath it all. Reminiscent of a kriek, but the cherry isn't quite so prominent and there's a bit of oak. Really tasty.

M - Medium mouthfeel, rather smooth, but with quite a bit of carbonation. A touch of acidity on the back of my tongue. It fits the beer wonderfully.

Overall, tasty tasty. I love Russian River wilds.

4.12/5  rDev -8.4%

Forewarning: my review is going to fall off the grid.

First, for the standard analysis: this beer fares well on all criteria, pours a lovely dark brown into my Duvel chalice, good head. Nice, complex aroma with cherry, wine overtones. Lovely taste, complex tartness, this beer tracks its strong Belgian heritage and then adds something. This is, of course, something to be savored to the full--a dessert beer, really.

My objection to this beer is simple and straightforward. I love both wine and beer, but this one toes the line uncomfortably close to wine territory in my view. The dominant flavors here are, plainly, largely from being aged in wine barrels (one can pick that out immediately). As my review above states, this is a fine tasting beer and I'd gladly have it again but bluntly if this is the flavor I am craving, I'd rather have a nice glass of Rioja or Cotes du Rhone than this (which, by the way, is equally if not more costly).

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks again to ales4baldo for this awesome wild ale!
Poured from the bottle to a tulip glass.
Pours a nice deep redish brown with orange hues when up to the light. I got a one finger head from a pretty vigorous pour that then disappears to nothing with no lacing.
Nose is bright with fruit, candy sugars, tart apple, cranberry defiantly a little yeasty funk, and a hint of oak.
Flavor defiantly shows off the tart cherries. I get some nice sour apple, and cranberry but it has an interesting fresh fruit juice in the middle. I can defiantly pick up on some oak.
Mouthfeel is pretty nice, almost a cider like feel with a medium high level of carbonation. I defiantly get a nice lingering bitterness and tartness.
Overall an awesome brew. Really complex but very well balanced. I Love a good sour and this has topped them all so far!
Thanks Baldo!

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

375 ml litter bottle into a la chouffe snifter

had this at DLD from a bottle from the first 3 batches and now the review is from the 6th batch

a- a dark ruby reddish orange, not cloudy but almost opaque, it kind makes me think of thick apple cider in looks
s- some funk, some sweet, slight apple
t-sour sour sour, this bottle wasnt like my first tasting but its not bad by any means, almost like a warhead candy, you can definetely taste the cherries in the finish
m-lively and jaw locking, lots of carbonation, very dry finish
o/d- overall i love it, my favorite sour so far, drinkability- is good its easy to take down,smooth and light

Batch 005X3 into tulip

S: sour vinegary, apple cider, caramel
T: tart vinegar, lemonade, cider, hint of caramel, faint oak in the back ground
M: light but not thin. There's some body left
D: good, but 350ml is good enough for me.

I don't understand why there's minimum 250 word for a review. some beers don't need a lot of word

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consumed 10/24; got in a trade from Rock4sc96, thanks Chris!

Into Southern Tier elongated tulip

A: Poured slowly, no yeast. Brilliant clear amber with a fluffy off white head. Incredible carbonation surging up from the bottom. Like champagne.

S: Brett funk, berries. Sour grapes, tart apples.

T: Tart up front, dark fruit, sour cherries. It's a delight to drink, and the sour pronounces a bit more as it warms.

F: Light and fizzy. Carbonation dances on the tongue.

D: What alcohol? It has about as much burn as an apple cider. Could have done a magnum of this in a sitting.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

poured from a 375ml bottle purchased at Mile High Wine and Liquors on a recent trip to Denver. Been wanting to try this one for a while.

Batch 5

Pours a hazy amber with just a touch of red to rosy it up.

Smells sour, slight funk, hint of cherries, very pleasant

Tastes tart, sour up front, transitioning into a very slight cherry sweetness before finishing dry. A near perfect blend of sour, dry, and slightly sweet cherry flavor.

light crisp, but complex enough to not immediately fade.

Excellent overall. I liked it better than temptation and consecration and maybe even better than Sanctification, which to this point had been my favorite sour-ish beer. Glad I have another couple of bottles

4.32/5  rDev -4%

Batch 001.

Hazy peach with a large fluffy head that dies down pretty quickly. Smell is very strong - floral and herbal characters along with a vinegary smell dominate. There is definitely some sour cherry in there, and a woody smell. Taste is more of the same. The taste is a tad muted, but well done. A tiny bit of spicy alcohol shows through but other than that it is well hidden. The sourness is mild in this brew compared to most of the Belgian lambics I've had, but the cherry taste seems to come out more, along with a vinous character. Finish is very clean with some lingering oak. Mouthfeel is spot on for the style, pretty thin. Could use a bit more carbonation. Drinks very easily. Very interesting brew.

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%

Newer vintage of Supplication served from a 375ml bottle into a tulip.

A: A rich rose/amber color that looks stunning when held up to the light. Small white head that dissipates rather quickly, head leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S: Smell number one is FUNK, and a lot of it, then the cherry shows up to the party. Then it just is a duet between the two, it’s very enjoyable.

T: First sip makes the mouth pucker from the tartness; this is very dry wild ale also. Then once you get past the tartness and the dryness its all cherry and oak funk that floods the mouth.

M: Ideal for a beer like this, it’s a little dry, but that is just what makes this so enjoyable. Carbonation is on par and the drinkability is amazing.

O: This is one of my favorite Wild Ales on the market, and it’s nice that RR brews this and releases it a few times a year. Always nice to have a fresh back to drink and then a few to age.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Russian River, I salute you. Poured from the bottle into my Bruery tulip.

Clear, beautiful ruddy brown with golden highlights. A thin cap forms, but only a collar remains after a couple of minutes. The color reminds me of what a deep sunset on the beach looks like.

Smell: Yep, there's the Russian River signature. Unmistakable sourness awaits me. Tart cherries, wood, musty old attic, and a faint pungent smell of putrefaction. I know that last item probably sounds bad, but I think it's goddamn great.

Taste is exquisite. This bottle is not particularly fresh, but it was stored in cold conditions for a long time. I think this is probably why the cherries are still somewhat prominent here. Cherry, oak, red wine, all taking turns dancing with the buggy acidity. Quick finish.

Mouthfeel is very good. Very dry, crisp finish, with lively carbonation. The carbonation is, at first, a tiny bit harsh... a few minutes into the glass it has smoothed out considerably.

Drinkability: I might drink gallons of this when bottles are released later this year. Fantastically drinkable.

This and Consecration (Batch 1) are my two favorite Russian River sours to date. This is great stuff. I am looking forward to trying it fresh.

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

Won my office March Madness pool, so I bought a case!

A - This beer pours a bright red pinkish color. It has a nice white lacy bubbly head. The beer loses points because it has just so much sediment in it. Probably the most I have ever seen in a beer.

S - Straight tart fruitiness right out of the gate. The beer hints with sour cherries to follow. After that, a small hint of barrel finishes.

T - Begins with the Cherries. Wow, so much cherry tartness going on. Follows with acidic notes and finishes slightly woody. Yup, Woody. Damn good.

M - Smooth, creamy, and highly carbonated. It coats the mouth. The only problem is that the floaties from the sediment are slightly noticable, and I don't like that.

D - It is damn good. Drinkability is probably a 5 on tap, but the bottle seems more acidic, and the the floaties prevent this from getting a 5.

O - This sour is amazing. On tap, it's epic, but that will wait for another review down the road. Get this beer if you enjoy a nice sour fix.

4.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow I was really surprised by this beer. I thought the cherries were going to be too much for this beer and ruin it but I was so mistaken the cherries really make this beer great. The color is a nice deep brown. Slight sourness and cherries plus some malty sweetness are the aromas that greet your nose. These same flavors come through in the taste plus a few other notes that hard to truly pick out. I could see a few years really helping this beer balance out and become even better. Great to drink now but some age will just make it that much better.
Cheers