Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

4.5

Reviews: 1,438 | Ratings: 6,121
4.32/5  rDev -4%

Batch 001.

Hazy peach with a large fluffy head that dies down pretty quickly. Smell is very strong - floral and herbal characters along with a vinegary smell dominate. There is definitely some sour cherry in there, and a woody smell. Taste is more of the same. The taste is a tad muted, but well done. A tiny bit of spicy alcohol shows through but other than that it is well hidden. The sourness is mild in this brew compared to most of the Belgian lambics I've had, but the cherry taste seems to come out more, along with a vinous character. Finish is very clean with some lingering oak. Mouthfeel is spot on for the style, pretty thin. Could use a bit more carbonation. Drinks very easily. Very interesting brew.

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%

Newer vintage of Supplication served from a 375ml bottle into a tulip.

A: A rich rose/amber color that looks stunning when held up to the light. Small white head that dissipates rather quickly, head leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S: Smell number one is FUNK, and a lot of it, then the cherry shows up to the party. Then it just is a duet between the two, it’s very enjoyable.

T: First sip makes the mouth pucker from the tartness; this is very dry wild ale also. Then once you get past the tartness and the dryness its all cherry and oak funk that floods the mouth.

M: Ideal for a beer like this, it’s a little dry, but that is just what makes this so enjoyable. Carbonation is on par and the drinkability is amazing.

O: This is one of my favorite Wild Ales on the market, and it’s nice that RR brews this and releases it a few times a year. Always nice to have a fresh back to drink and then a few to age.

4.19/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Oh no, looks like I'm disappointed. This beer is really great, don't get me wrong, I just don't think it's worth me getting so excited about seeing it on a shelf. Happy to check this off the list though. Kind of a rotten aftertaste. Solid otherwise.

Sour Browns have seen better days, although from what I understand this beer has gone downhill a bit? That would make sense. Still great though and still worth the price even if it's no longer worth the hype.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Russian River, I salute you. Poured from the bottle into my Bruery tulip.

Clear, beautiful ruddy brown with golden highlights. A thin cap forms, but only a collar remains after a couple of minutes. The color reminds me of what a deep sunset on the beach looks like.

Smell: Yep, there's the Russian River signature. Unmistakable sourness awaits me. Tart cherries, wood, musty old attic, and a faint pungent smell of putrefaction. I know that last item probably sounds bad, but I think it's goddamn great.

Taste is exquisite. This bottle is not particularly fresh, but it was stored in cold conditions for a long time. I think this is probably why the cherries are still somewhat prominent here. Cherry, oak, red wine, all taking turns dancing with the buggy acidity. Quick finish.

Mouthfeel is very good. Very dry, crisp finish, with lively carbonation. The carbonation is, at first, a tiny bit harsh... a few minutes into the glass it has smoothed out considerably.

Drinkability: I might drink gallons of this when bottles are released later this year. Fantastically drinkable.

This and Consecration (Batch 1) are my two favorite Russian River sours to date. This is great stuff. I am looking forward to trying it fresh.

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

Won my office March Madness pool, so I bought a case!

A - This beer pours a bright red pinkish color. It has a nice white lacy bubbly head. The beer loses points because it has just so much sediment in it. Probably the most I have ever seen in a beer.

S - Straight tart fruitiness right out of the gate. The beer hints with sour cherries to follow. After that, a small hint of barrel finishes.

T - Begins with the Cherries. Wow, so much cherry tartness going on. Follows with acidic notes and finishes slightly woody. Yup, Woody. Damn good.

M - Smooth, creamy, and highly carbonated. It coats the mouth. The only problem is that the floaties from the sediment are slightly noticable, and I don't like that.

D - It is damn good. Drinkability is probably a 5 on tap, but the bottle seems more acidic, and the the floaties prevent this from getting a 5.

O - This sour is amazing. On tap, it's epic, but that will wait for another review down the road. Get this beer if you enjoy a nice sour fix.

4.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow I was really surprised by this beer. I thought the cherries were going to be too much for this beer and ruin it but I was so mistaken the cherries really make this beer great. The color is a nice deep brown. Slight sourness and cherries plus some malty sweetness are the aromas that greet your nose. These same flavors come through in the taste plus a few other notes that hard to truly pick out. I could see a few years really helping this beer balance out and become even better. Great to drink now but some age will just make it that much better.
Cheers

4.24/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Damn good beer...that being said, I think so much of the ravenously devout following that RR has is based so much around the hype of the company, and thus societally imposed interpretations of the beer manifest. But, that being said, this is a great fucking work of craft.

The beer looks like Pinot Noir: slightly translucent ruddy brown color, good haziness, nice carbonation visible in the frothiness of the head.

Smells of beautiful vinous cherry, subtle oak, and tangy yeast.

Taste follows smell, almost to the letter. A bit more tang from the wild. very subtle and refreshing, not terribly funky.

Yes, there's a reason, objectively, that there is so much hype surrounding RR. But, you can pay 2 dollars more for a 750mL of Jolly Pumpkin and support a smaller, still-growing independent producer that makes a beer that's almost as good in a very similar style.

4.69/5  rDev +4.2%

I happened to be walking down Pine St. in Philadelphia after a dentist appointment today. Ordinarily, this would just be another street. However, I was far enough east that my journey would take me right past a Philadelphia beer mecca known as The Foodery. If you strolled by briskly you could easily mistake it for your typical corner bodega/deli if it weren't for the assortment of beer bottles on display in the windows. I love when I find myself in the neighborhood.

The store has the usual suspects in terms of the Belgians, a wide variety of American craft and a great selection of one-offs and randoms scattered around the back of the store. I saw the bottle of Supplication sitting by itself on a shelf and I knew I needed to purchase it. I gave up browsing at that point since I knew this one bottle would be a small fortune and worth every penny: ~$19.50 for 375ml.

I was planning to eat spicy chili tonight so I made it a point to enjoy this beverage fully before touching my dinner. Didn't want to ruin my palate with such a great beverage ready to entertain my mouth.

I poured 90% of the beer into a Duvel glass and did a good swirl to capture the yeast (against the advice of the bottle) as I like to get the fully experience even if it means extra yeast flavors. The color was brown/cherry. Jumping ahead, as I drank the lacing was light but looked like it would never give up its grasp of the side of the glass. No real head on this beer.

The smell is sour but nothing pastoral or farm-like about it other than the fact that it makes you feel strangely relaxed much like being in the rural lands of central Pennsylvania. Who would have thought that sour is a smell? As you breathe it in you can almost taste sour without anything touching your lips. The smell is enhanced as you take the first sip.

Exactly what I hoped. Sour thought smooth at the same time. The liquid is thin and first but fills your mouth instantly with flavor that makes it feel a lot more heavy-bodied. I don't know enough about the bacteria in this beer to say how they each contribute to the flavor but overall the wildness of it is enagaging but not overwhelming. It is not too wild. After drinking a sip and thinking about it for a minute the acting of licking one's lips is a treat. It is a different sense of sourness. Speaking of sourness, on the grand scale of sour this really isn't too bad. I'd give it a 6/10 on the sourness scale.

Overall, this is definitely an easy drinker which might be surprising for such an extreme mouth shocker. Equally shocking, the weight of the bottle. This is one heavy bottle for such a small volume of beer. Totally worth the price to try but I don't think I'd penny up another $20 as I'd rather try other Russian River offerings first.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this one for $17 at Eulogy while traveling in Philadelphia. A steep price, but building in the restaurant's markup, I felt pretty much fine about this pricier pickup, especially since this beer never comes my way. Having had some of their traditional ales (Salvation, Redemption, Damnation), this sour from Russian River really knocked me out.

A lot of people talk about Russian River's sours as if they're of an entirely different stock than their other beers. I can now see why. The balance on this wild ale rivals anything from the best Belgian sours, and has a subtlety that quickly trumps other American brewers like, say, Allagash (not that that subtlety is always a good thing).

Ruby colored with fruity notes that are both vibrant and delicately mixed. There's no unpleasant sharpness challenging or harming the taste. Likewise, the carbonation is just active enough to bring out the subtler notes that might otherwise be lost. Smooth and downright delicious, I can't wait to find this one on tap. Curious how it would compare to that fresh Lou Pepe 2008 I just had...

4.11/5  rDev -8.7%

Batch #10

A- 1 finger of a coarse light tan foam. It's a bit champagne like at first with bubbles rising through the glass. No lacing and the color looks like a Roobios (SP?) tea.

S- Fruity sour a little medicine-y twinge of green apple with a musty almost nutty smell at the end (Oak ?) As it warms in the glass the Pinot really comes through.

T- Cider-like that drops off sharply to a sour cherry and mild currant. The malt characteristic is really not present but the tannins are revealed when you exhale. It does become more wine-y as you drink it.

M- effervescent at first that mellows to a level of a cask ale. It is only mildly sweet, but the sour zing comes more from under the tounge. It is also somewhat dry

O- Its a great sour, gets better with every sip. Would age well, would pair well with cheese. Its wine its beer its sour its great! Its an experience!

3.83/5  rDev -14.9%

Sampled this one along side a Temptation, and this one was not my favorite of the two.

Supplication pours amber colored with a slight reddish tinge when held to light. Aroma is dominated by a strong musty character with perhaps a touch of cherry but not much. Mouthfeel is very dry and tart. Flavorwise, it it has a "clean" sourness (lacto-dominate?) with just a bit of cherry and almond. Displays less complexity than the best sour beers. I was expecting more cherry and funk.

Overall, worth a try but to me not among the very best of sour beers.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

In a tulip:

This brew has some seriously insane lacing over and amber/copper hazy body. From the moment the cork is popped, the room fills with a sour aroma. The nose also has green apple, raisin, and coriander. The taste has pounds of sweet and sour, with a pleasant green apple tartness in the beginning and a sour bitter finish that gives way to a cherry aftertaste. Extremely thick mouthfeel for the style and carbonation that ably delivers flavor. So delicious... I could drink quite a bit of this.

Overall: Supplication was my first sour. Wow, this is incredible. I can't believe what I've been missing.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to Deepsouth for this one!

Pours a nice hazy orange color with a nice 1/4" head. Lots of sticking!

Very sour aroma with a tangy-citrus aroma with a nice mellow cherry in the background.

SOUOOOUUURRR!!! Love it! Huge random flavors of cherry combined with a nice citrus flavor that is combined with a long lasting oak aroma.

Very tart to the tongue and mouth. Delicious and smooth with a nice tart finish.

Very drinkable but to rare to drink often. Another smashing hit from Russian River.

4.63/5  rDev +2.9%

Enjoyed on 5-8-10 with TCHopCraver, thanks to zoso1967's kind provision.

Appearance: Poured into a wine glass. Color is a golden brown, with some red hints thrown in for good measure. A one-finger head dissipates pretty slowly and leaves a soapy ring of lacing. The lacing is extremely sticky and will cling to any part of the glass if given the chance. There are delightful yeasties and cherry bits dancing around, further agitated by a decent stream of carbonation rising up from the bottom.

Smell: Cherry fragrance abounds! Almost smells like Grandma's in the kitchen baking up a cherry pie! The only difference is that this pie is sour and full of pinot noir, funky yeast, spice, and wood.

Taste: Wow! Not what I was expecting at all. I expected something much sweeter, but instead I find a dryness that is simply enchanting. It's like all the best things about wine and beer brought together in a masterful harmony. This is definitely one of the most refreshing and invigorating beverages I have had the pleasure of consuming. The cherry sweetness of the nose is paired extremely well with the dry, champagne-like flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and refreshingly dry. Starts with a biting fruity punch to the tonsils and ends clean and dry.

Drinkability: Very refreshing and easy to drink, but this beer is so intense that it lends itself more to being a sipper.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

Supplication Batch 006X1. 375ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: 4
Brassy brown red body with 1’ white head that slowly dissipates to nothing. Mild faint lacing.

Smell:4

Definite sour aroma with notes of lemon, minimal dark fruit, and faint funkiness. Not really barnyard smelling though as I thought it might be. Also a slight toffee note of sweetness, I imagine from the malt.

Taste: 4.5

A great sour with amazing balance. It’s definitely a moderate-strong sourness, but the overall profile seems so refined. It’s not harsh or caustic, but instead very pleasant. Get a mild almost woody funk with notes of lemon/citrus, presence of pinot noir grapes as well as faintest of sweetness of the malt. Lingering sour aftertaste with touch of malt and bitterness. Nice crisp, bright mineral presence in sour component, like a good white wine; this really adds a nice level of complexity to the flavour

Mouthfeel: 4.5
So delightfully sour, but again somehow balance. Great champagne-like soft, fine carbonation that leads to almost pillowly sensation. Mild thickness. Perfect amount of slimily acidic feeling ( which sounds weird I know, but seem spot-on appropriate). I really love how this beer feels actually.

Overall: 4.5
A surprising, subtle, well balanced beer that is definingly sour, but in the same breath incredibly balanced. It’s a little different than I anticipated, much less in-your-face. But really its just such a good beer.

I wasn’t 100% sold of sour beers before this, but now I am. It was just so enjoyable. In fact, super easy drinking and I was very quick to finish it, wishing I had more.

Must Try Recommendation.

4.89/5  rDev +8.7%

Tasted on 4/24/07
Appearance: Dark, burnt orange. Little to no head after the inital foaming from cork popping
Smell: Fantastic: Smelly sour with a lot of brett and a slight cherry note
Taste: Brilliant. Sour, sweet, cherry
Mouthfeel: Another great note. The sour brett does not take anything away from the mouthfeel.
Drinkability: Perfect. No other way to describe this beer. Absolutely phenomenal. I wish it didn't cost this much, but I understand.
Russian River is THE best brewery in America. Hands down. Vinnie truly is a beer genius. Can't wait to try other "tion" beers

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Batch 003. 375ml pulled from the "cellar" (dark, insulated coat closet) and chilled for 20 minutes in freezer.

Nice pop from the cork. Poured into tulip, producing a beautiful thin, creamy off-white head atop a copper colored, slightly hazy brew. Aroma of ripe cherries and wood punctuated with a good sharp dose of brett funk. Flavor is a well-rounded blend of tart cherries and saturated red wine barrel, with a lingering sweet/tart finish. Has a wonderful mouthfeel thanks to a light-to-medium body--surprisingly heavier than I remember, especially compared to recent, fresher batches I've had--and perfect carbonation with a perpetually replenishing head which leaves an impressive lacing behind.

This is a terrific beer that has aged tremendously. I'd have to say it's my most successful cellaring experience to date.

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

Thanks to jonathanL7890 for a chance to try this one.

Pours a big whopping 3 finger head, may want to pour easier on this one. Light brown to copper color and cloudy for the appearance.

The nose is that of sweetness, cherries, candies, and some yeastiness as well

Mouthfeel WOW! this is one helluva sour beer. At first the sweetness hits the mouth then the sour packs a whopper of a punch. Made me feel like my asshole was being sucked through my mouth GEEZ! the puckerness factor.

This is an amazing sour beer. Its a must try for anyone who calls themselves a beer nerd or beer geek. This really is a beer that is on the extreme side.

Batch 5 bottle poured into snifter.

A - copper with minimal head.
S - lemon, tart cherry, wet leather, dirt, hay, and toasted bread
T - cherry, dry red wine, oak, Brett funk, stale bread
M - thin with high carbonation
O - probably in my top 5 American sours. I need to get more of this to cellar.

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance - Orangish copper with a white 1/2 inch head. Amazing lace all over my tulip glass.

Smell - Phenomenal - Some boozy barrel-aged stuff happening (like Allagash Curieux). Sour cherries and other berry smells also. Appetizing funky yeast aroma.

Taste - Like a punch in the face. Brace yourself for the tartness, but then the lovely backbone of kriek-like cherry flavor. Oud Bruin to the max, with a little saison thrown in, and kriek lambic to finish off. As this warms, more malt character is prevalent, and this is when this can truly be savored. Intensity is present throughout. Long, winey/vinegary finish leaves you smiling.

Mouthfeel - Very acidic, gets the glands working for sure. Stings the lips a bit, to be honest. After it warms up, thought, more of the wood flavors pop out and the finish is buttery. MMM....

Drinkability - Can't get enough.

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks a ton to Sugit for hooking me up with this one. I've been very excited to try it.

A - What a great looking beer. Big pop when it was uncorked, and a bright amber body with beautiful head and lacing.

S - Funky! The brett comes through up front, and it smells great. The cherry comes through a little bit, but it is hidden under all that delicious funk.

T&M - The first sip blew me away with sourness. I'm a bit of a sour novice, and this shocked me. As my palate and the beer itself warmed a bit, the velvety funk and sweetness of the cherry are coming out as well. The blend is completely unique to me, and it is growing on me fast. It seems a bit lopsided on the sour side, which to me takes away from the rest of the flavor profile. I could see how some might like the balance as it is though...

D - Considering the punch packed in the first sip, I'm shocked to see how easy this has become to drink after 10 minutes. While a growler of this might be intimidating, I'm having no problem enjoying every last drop of this bottle.

4.55/5  rDev +1.1%

375mL bottle of Russian River Supplication - batch number 8.

Appearance: Supplication pours an interesting blood orange color that produces a frothy off-white head that slowly fizzles down to a thin, film-like layer.

Smell: there's a bit of funkiness in the nose.. Pinot Noir barrels inoculated with brettanomyces makes for a very nice aroma.

Taste: Supplication's fruit juiciness really sets it apart from the much drier Consecration; the sour cherries seem to enhance this barrel aged offering in a way that currants simply cannot. The wine barrel adds another layer of complexity by imparting its oakiness and Pinot Noir flavors.. and the bacteria (lacto and pedio) adds a very pleasant sourness to this stellar wild ale.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with plenty of carbonation (refermented in the bottle).

Overall: Supplication is surprisingly refreshing.. and complex. Truly a world-class beer.

3.92/5  rDev -12.9%

Part IV of epic RR tasting including Tempt, Sancti, Beati, Suppl, and Consec. I'm re-reviewing this one because I feel that my initial review was done too early in my BA days, prior to tasting any other sours, and prior to having a more refined palate.

Dark copper, reddish brown with a persistent haziness. Supplication pours with a one and a half finger head that quickly fades to a thin film that remains for the rest of the drink. Sour cherries, musty wood, vines, slight malts, dark chocolate, raspberries, and booze. Sour cherries and ripe lemons up front followed by a funky mustiness and some alcohol heat. The aftertaste is rich in bread, sweet cherries, a touch of cinnamon, and a lingering sour must. A drinkable beer.

3.89/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 375 ml bottle into a tulip glass. The initial burst of air from the bottle had loads of cherry smell in it. Poured into the glass it more of a sour/vinegar brow ale smell. Taste was actually kind of bitter, some pinot noir and cherry but not sour at all. Well crafted but not a big fan of the flavor.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Props to WarriorSoul for the bottle!
Poured into my wide-mouth Duvel tulip.
Poured a very murky orangy-apple cider color. Minimal head with a ton of small bubbles. The very fine lace stayed throughout and re-emerges with gentle encouragement.
There is a galaxy of tiny black specs floating throughtout the beer, but settled to the bottom. Yeast? Cherry pit scrapnel? Not sure what it is. Had no adverse effects on this beer.
Nose of sour cherry and earthy yeast mustyness. Enjoyably tart. Very vinous and smells of a well made hard cider.
Not exactly sure how to catagorize what I'm tasting. It's unlike any beer I've ever tried before. Sour wild cherry and Brett takes presidence, along with musty fruit-cake, minus the nuts. Subdued hoppiness but there is a malty sweetness. Quite dry and woody. My vocabulary cannot express what I'm actually tasting. So much complexity here. Maybe it's not meant to be described.
Very drinkable, smooth dry body. At 7% I wasn't expecting anything too heavy. Mouthfeel reminded me of a nice dry cider.

Awsome beer from Russian River and Vinnie. Like I said before, unlike anything I've previously had. Almost too good for words.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company