Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

4.5

Reviews: 1,458 | Ratings: 6,279
4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

Great offering from Russian River.

A - Good orange / amber hued beer with a thin white head quickly dissipating

S - Good sourness here with a underlying depth. Not as snappy as some other wild ales

T - Very tasty brew. You can taste the depth that comes from the oak aging, and the slight cherrry tartness is very complimentary to the sourness of the Brett.

M - Crisp, tart mouth feel with good carbonation

D - Could drink this consistently, if it weren't made in CA and not the easiest to get around me. This may not be the best sour beer that I have had, but certainly highly drinkable an a great offering from RR

3.72/5  rDev -17.3%

Supplication comes in a pricey little 375 mL bottle. (I think I paid $12.00?) The bottle looks neat though, with a long, bulged neck like a miniature version of it's 750 mL big brothers. Corked and caged. Served at 47°F.

A: Uncorked, revealing a swirling mist in the bottle. Pours into my NB goblet a cloudy, light copper, peachy brown, that's too dark for an amber but lighter than a typical brown. A creamy, one-finger sandstone head emerges, with just a tinge of pink.

S: Sour cherries, which undoubtedly had been eagerly anticipating uncorking, fill the room before the pour. This brew is almost overwhelmingly sour and complex. The nose is packed with vinegar, as well as clove, cinnamon, Morello cherries, and a slight, salty, barnyard funk. Overall the smell is an intense sour acid with accents of warm, herbal Christmas notes. The background spice is phenolic and slightly solventy.

T: The taste is predominantly dry, woody, and tart. It's very complex, but it's a well past center on the sour scale, so it's hard for me to decide if I love it or not. The carbonation and sourness hit first, but then a solventy hotness follows. The flavor also finishes with more fresh-cut oak and vanilla than any other sour I've tasted.

M: This wild is highly carbonated, so the effervescence foams in the throat and causes major burpage. The bubbles from the foam nucleate and explode in the mouth, but the cream makes the bursting bubbles and ensuing foam stick to your mouth and throat. There is also enough sourness to bring on some puckering and pangs in the jaw.

D: I would say drinkability is severely limited on cost alone, but as far as the beer itself goes, the real factor is your appreciation of very sour beers. I tend to avoid more acidic beer styles like Flanders Red, but I would consider this to be right at my limit for sourness. Medium.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

10oz pour at Monk's Cafe. While I noticed some marked differences between this and the batch 3 bottle I had last year, I wasn't aware that I was drinking Batch 1 (4.5 years old) until later in the afternoon. Especially with all of the talk that batch 4 is very pungently cherried, I assumed I was having delusions or that Younger had wrecked my palate, neither of which is true.

A- Pours a brownish amber with 1-finger of off white head, which is very spritzy and dissipated quickly leaving sticky, streaky lacing.

S- Huge lactic character with a slightly vinegary aroma (which is much more pronounced that I remember from the fresher bottle I sampled.) I wrote in my notes that I got no cherry whatsoever in the nose, due to the overpowering lactic sourness and this makes perfect sense in retrospect. The old wood and vinegar that followed the sourness are much more welcome with the knowledge that this beer had been aged for 4.5 years.

T- Initially, I get an ever-so-slight fruitness, which I wouldn't even single out as cherries except for the fact that I know this beer is aged with cherries. The Pinot Noir barrels may play a role in this initial fruiting as well. The fruit immediately gives way to the huge lacto sourness I have already alluded to in the smell category. In the finish, I get a lot of the vinegar flavor, which is much more intertwined with the woodiness and marked leathery flavors making it much more enjoyable than in the nose.

MF- Spritzy mouthfeel with a medium body. The fresh consecration I sampled right after this was slightly syrupy for my liking, but this was pretty much the perfect viscosity for this beer.

D- Slightly more acidic that I would like to the point where it had a burn that was slightly more on the esophagus than most any sour I have tasted. This is not to say that it was more sour or worse, it just burned a little. Other than that one downside, however, the beer was extremely drinkable and has held up VERY nicely.

3.94/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

darkish, yet bright red. casts a reddish pink when light beams through it. highly carbed in this tiny bottle. White head fizzed up and quickly dissipated.

smells like a cherry truffle...also a bit of the wood on the nose.

Bubbles like an alka seltzer in my mouth. Nice sour cherry flavor...bit of a bite and a hint of the oak at the end.

Astringent mouthfeel and so carbonated.

Good sour, though this 375 ml bottle is plenty for me...would gladly share it.

I like it, but Consecration is still tops for me when it comes to the RR 'tions.

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

I had this beer on-tap at the Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa, CA in August 2010. It was part of a sampler of all the beers that they had on-tap that day. I also had this beer on-tap in a regular sized pint.

The beer poured to be an amber color and it had fairly strong aroma of cherries. The taste was slightly sweet and was light in body. This beer was extraordinary and was easy to drink. I loved this beer and I would highly recommend it.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to TicoCali for this.

Pours a quite transparent burnt umber. Very attractive. Not much head to speak of. Just a whisper of off-white that dissipates immediately. Lots of cherries in the initial nose, but that gives way to both a sharpness of what I guess would be the pinot barrels and a bluntness of wood (guess what that's attributed to). I don't know if brett's involved, but there is a layer of funk in the nose, as well. There is a robustness to the nose, like vanilla-coated cranberries. Holy moly, this is a great sour. Just a wisp of sweetness at the start and then a torrent of pucker grabs your tongue. Getting some green apple-type pucker with deeper raisin and wine notes. At the very end, there's a semi-thick layer that blunts the sour onslaught and invites a new sip. Very interesting how much the middle bounces off the tongue and how buoyant this sour is. Great stuff.

Like It? Yes, Of Course

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I mean, what more is there to say about this beer that hasn't already been said? It's fabled, it's revered, it's adored and rightly so! Poured from a 375ml bottle into a Russian River "tion" glass. Batch 005x3.

Poures a purplish magenta with a thin white head that dissipates to just form a crown around the glass of pure white bubbles. I've never seen a beer with the depth of color this one has, ever.

The nose is the best part. You immediatly get the sour, funky characteristics but they're all bound together with this extremely prominent red wine characteristic. Tons of oak, slight vanilla, and a not-too-well hidden tartness. Amazing what's going on here.

The taste is a journey on it's own. Initially when I sip this beer there is a wonderful red wine characteristic married with the oakiness that lends an almost sweet tone to the beer but then the tartness from the bugs takes over and just enhances the previous flavors amazingly without the sweetness getting out of control. Finishes extremely dry. Perfect carbonation.

Like I said, what else can you say about Supplication or Russian River as it is? They're super hyped and deserve that hype. Supplication is probably the best American Wild Ale in existence. I need to buy this by the case. So in love.

4.71/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

375ml corked bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

A- Pours a pretty reddish-brown color with a thin half-inch head that dissipated rather quickly. Not much lacing, but I was drinking it from a hotel glass of dubious cleanliness. Minimal but sufficient effervesence.

S- Definitely started with the unmistakable odor of sweet and sour cherries, with fruity notes that smacked of raisins, dates, and currants. I caught some sweet malt back there, too, but it was elusive.

T- Wow...clean, dry, tart...reminded me of a fine champagne. Very complex with a nice fresh finish that left me wanting another sip. As I savored it, I also was reminded of a fleeting bourbon-like woody taste, with a faint but perceptible spiciness. Overall, a great balance between all the flavors.

M- Outstanding. Not too thin, very crisp and dry, the tartness faded quickly, leaving a clean puckering feeling to my mouth.

O- I picked this one up from a Denver liquor store, and I had to ask for Russian River products, which they had stashed in the back. Now I know why. I wasn't disappointed. American Wid Ales are just awesome, and this is my second brew from the style. Overall, absolutely incredible, to be enjoyed any time of year. Absolutely delicious and highly recommended.

4.59/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Maybe it’s because I just finished watching Somm for the thirteenth time or maybe it’s because I drank three Supplications tonight, but this Russian River creation has me a bit confused— is it a fine wine or a finer beer? Since we can’t pick up on scents like new rubber hose or fresh tennis ball canister, we’re assuming it’s a beer… and a damn good one at that. If you haven’t seen Somm then you have no idea what I’m talking about…

Dispensing with the wit for a moment, I can’t help but stare at this beauty — in the words of Zoolander, she is “really really ridiculously good looking.” Supplication, of course, pours an inviting amber-mahogany color. The most sophisticated description of smell that I could initially muster was: sour. After giving the beer a minute to breathe, though, it reveals fragrances of cherry and cranberry that then give way to scents of green apple and lime. Taking the first sip is an experience unto itself. While the nose gives you every indication that you should expect a Martinelli’s Sparkling Apple-Cranberry concoction, the sour profile puts your tongue in a chokehold. This aggressive taste eventually does mellow and reveal an oaky red wine flavor. Tannins are present and add to the tartness of the sour cherries. Overall, this beer is one of the pinnacle sours available today. And beyond all else, you have to love the fact that the carbonation bubbles – like the old man in Up – continue their journey through the very last sip.

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%

Reviewing from notes a week or so ago. Batch 003

A - Tangerine-to-caramel with an off-white head

S - apple, pear, yeast, pepper

T - Tart like sour apple, tangerine tind (a bit sharper than orange, so I'm guessing here), lots of dried apricot especially at higher temps, very sour cherries, slight funky note that morphs into a meaty taste - like proscioutto and melon. Quite a bit going on

M - thin and bubbly with a "10% juice" backbone (i guess that means slight syrup underneath)

D - quite high - almost puckeringly sour at first, but refreshing. High temps it becomes a bit too much like juice

Thanks to BBothen for the chance to try this

4.03/5  rDev -10.4%

I poured the contents of a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. The head filled it to the rim, then settled to a dense 1/4" lacy layer. The color was a light orangy-copper color. I held the beer up to the light and saw a swirling cloudiness that made it seem like something significant was going on inside that glass. I was anxious to proceed.

I perceived the odor as a mixture of cherries and pine.

Upon entering my mouth, the first sensation I felt was tartness, extreme tartness to the point where could actually feel the glands in my neck swelling from the shock. I quickly identified the source of this tartness as a cherry flavor which gradually became sweeter and more soothing as my taste buds adjusted. Mixed with this was a flavor reminiscent of champagne.

It was very abrasive on the palate, acidic, somewhat vinegary, somewhat heavy on the carbonation.

Tart cherries? Acidic? Vinegary? Abrasive? Despite all of these seemingly deterrent qualities, I actually enjoyed this one. It went down more easily with each sip, and not just because the alcohol was taking effect. I liked that the cherry flavor was tart rather than sweet, as it tasted more genuine and better complemented the other intense flavors.

Supplication is unlike anything I've ever had; in a blind taste test, I'd wonder if this was, in fact, a beer, and not some other category of alcohol with which I'm not familiar. Maybe I'm just not that well versed in high quality brown ales, or maybe this one's just in a league of its own.

I decided not to read the bottle before trying this so as not to bias
my senses, but now that I read the description--the year of aging, the winemaking background of the brewer, the similar process to champagne making--I understand why this beer tastes so unusual.

I'll definitely pick this one up again on occasion, and I'd like to try it with a heavy meal, perhaps some tri-tip and mashed potatoes.

3.91/5  rDev -13.1%

I acquired this one in a trade from solomongrundy. Awesome trader, thanks again!!! Poured from 375 ml bottle into a chalice. It pours a beautiful pinkish orange with a fizzy white head that disappears rather quickly. Very Tony bubbles of carbonation. It smells of sour cherry and musty yeast. Mild scent of oak is there as well. Wow... Very tart. I'm not really a big sour fan but I've had a few and have begun to appreciate the style. Lots of sour cherry and wine flavors. Mild oak flavors hang on the tongue. This is a palate scrubber. It will obliterate any beer you've had throughout the night. One of the better ones I've had. Very acidic and dry. Tasty, but just not my favorite style.

4.32/5  rDev -4%

Bought a 375mL bottle at Capone's...needed to try this before committing to a case. Batch 04x1 poured from the corked and caged bottle into my Troegs pint glass.

Appearance: Small off-white head on top of a copper colored beer with a reddish hue to it. Lots of active carbonation bubbles steaming up the sides of the glass. Slightly hazy. Real solid lacing.

Smell: A lot of pinot noir wine barrel in the nose. Hints of cherry and some tartness and funk in the background. Mild earthy aroma, but pretty sweet. Very complex nose on this one.

Taste: Very interesting. Kind of a sweet funkiness on the back of my tongue with a good amount of those pinot noir barrel and cherry flavors coming through. Not very sweet at all, just mild amounts from the cherry and oak. Finishes with a good sour bite and leaves tart cherry flavors behind.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and medium carbonation. Very refreshing despite its acidity. Sour kick in the back end gives it great balance.

Drinkability: High for a sour. The ABV is not oppressive and its smooth and balanced nature make it easy on the palate.

Very good sour. Perhaps not as good as Temptation in my mind (which is just phenomenal) but a very solid offering worthy of the price (whatever it may be).

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%

The Russian River "ation" series of sour ales is really good. They have yet to let me down and this one is no different.

The beer is a cloudy brownish yellow with bits of dead yeast slowly floating to the base of the glass. It pours with a medium head that is a lovely yellowish white and sticks around till the glass is finished.

The nose entices the senses with cider, apple, oak, and a little apricot. There are some faint notes of almost a chemical smell as well as some heat and for that it got marked a down a little on the smell.

The ale has an orchard fruit profile with notes of apple, pear, and a bit of cherry on the tip of the tongue. The beer starts sweet and then bites you at the end with its lovely sour characteristic.

The body is thin but balanced by a good amount of carbonation which adds to the sour nature of the beer.

Overall this is an exceptional sour beer and I tend to choose it when I'm in the mood for something out of my ordinary. I definitely recommend this beer to any sour lover and its also a great beer for those who aren't the typical beer drinkers.

A - Pours a surprisingly dark and malty, hazy ruby copper with a smallish light tan head that recedes at a slightly slower than normal pace to a thin fiml of microbubbles.

S - A pretty sour cherry kick in the nose that gets stronger as it warms. Only hints of funk with a slight vinegar character, a tad musty.

T - Sour sun-turned cherries, lime, and lemon zest. Oak has rounded this beer nicely. The barnyard indeed comes out here too as it warms, but never too much.

M - A little heavy for the style, but the relatively high carbonation helps to create a nice balance.

D - This brew is delicious, but far from the most complex sour I've had. It's a kriek alright, but not much more. I would seek out again, but wouldn't go too far to get it.

4.02/5  rDev -10.7%

Acquired in a trade from Emmasdad, thanks! Poured from a 12.68 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice.

Appearance: Looks like a deep brown apple cider. When held up to the light it glows dark red. Pours a fingers worth of light brown/tan head. Very dense. It fades slightly but clings to the outside of the glass and remains throughout the drink.

Smell: Cherries and citrus dominate. Some apple as well. Smells like a wine, very robust, makes my mouth water.

Taste: Sour, very sour, plenty of tart cherries, green apples as well. Alcohol comes through in the middle. The oak comes out really strong as well with the tannin. Again, makes my mouth water, the flavors are so strong. Also has a pucker effect.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a medium to high carbonation. The sourness and the tannin remind me of a chardonnay, and leave me with a dry finish in my mouth. I am not crazy about that dry finish.

Overall: The tannin and sourness mellow as the drink warms a little, which I like. The sourness really wakes up the palate, which I also like. I could have a couple of these a night. The flavors are bold and delicious. Just flat out different, tasty, and I want more.

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: slightly hazy brownish red maybe from a little bit of mistaken yeast. white one finger head that dissipates into a thin layer. Decent amount of lacing

S:Grassy sour cherries. lots of oak with a bit of an alcoholic smell

T: really nice sour cherry and oak just like the smell. it hits hard with sour and just when its about to hit the "too much stage" it backs off like it knows what its doing.

M: doesnt completely dry my mouth out which lets me enjoy it more. just enough carbonation to allow the flavors to open up with each sip

D: Mighty tasty i must say. while i would want to drink this quite often i couldnt exactly down a whole bottle 375 or 750 for that matter. im still a bit of a rookie with sours but this is the top 2 along with sui generis for me. worth the money for a nice long really well made sipper beer

4.13/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a brownish orange with a small head that does stay around.

Smell is very overpowering strong sour cherries. There is a bit of citrus sour in there also.

Taste is also very sour. For me the sour flavor was overpowering most everything else.

Mouth was surprisingly thick with a good carbonation.

WOW. This beer was without a doubt like nothing I had ever had before... hard to tell at times if that was a good thing or a bad thing. I am leaning toward good but really struggled to finish with the overpowering flavors eventually getting to me. Quite a bit too much sour for me to enjoy finishing the entire bottle let alone having another.

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Pours a semi hazy brownish color Nice bubbles flowing from the bottom
S: Tart cherries, funk, fruity esters, strong funky cherry sourness dominates.
T: Follows the nose. Tart cherries, lemon zest, sour apple, and a slight oak note in the back of the palate. Really balanced. Not too sour, but just enough to get you hooked.
M: Pretty decent carbonation, dry mouthfeel, medium bodied.
O: This is pretty delicious. As it warmed sat for a while I got more of the oak in the nose as well as the flavor. It's pretty complex and just damn good. Only complaint was the price, and of course I had to drive to Philly to pick it up.

4.59/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml corked and caged bottle poured into an Ommegang Game Of Thrones chalice. Found it at Pinocchio's in Media, PA. Thanks to Evan from Manayunk Brewery for tipping me off to go there.

AP: Nice rich amber and reddish rusty colour. Initial head was about 1" but faded quickly to 1/8". Had that nice acidic sizzle sound of the carbonation with small tight little bubbles flowing from bottom to top.
AR: Has that classic aroma I associate with Wild Ales, Lambics, Sours, Flanders, etc., which is like taking a hard sourdough pretzel and liquefying it. Apple cider/vinegar notes as well with grape skins and cherries, a bit of barrel mustiness, too. Great nose on this.
T: Very much like the nose. The balance of the sour and acidity is nearly perfect. Nice apple cider like flavour with rye sourdough grains. The addition of the cherries and Pinot Noir barrel add great depth to this. They blend well with the base of the beer. After the initial cider taste, the fruits come softly rolling in, like putting a couple of dark grapes and a cherry in your mouth and biting down on them. I also get a bit of plum as well. A very well rounded beer.
M: Neither the sourness nor tartness are too much here. In fact, they are just about right. Good carbonation, crisp and acidic on the tongue, palate cleansing but a nice viscous feel from the fruit and barrel to make for a rather smooth finish.
OV: I'm really wishing this was a 500ml bottle right now. I love Wild Ales and Sours and this beer is delicious. Well done base with the addition of cherries and PN barrel mixing well and making this a well rounded treat.

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

Batch 003 poured into a Allagash chalice

A - Big white foamy head. Nice reddish amber color. Head disipates to a skim of white foam leaving a little lace

S - Tart cherries, citrus, sour. Maybe a bit of strawberry?

T - Sour/tart cherries. Slight oakiness with a dry finish. Just enough sweetness. Sourness lingers.

M - Active carbo, medium bodied with a dry finish

D - Fairly easy drinking for the style.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to witbier for the opportunity....
375 ML. Poured into my st. bernardus goblet

A: Pours a murky brownish golden red. One finger yellow, offwhite head to a thin cap in one minute

S: can smell apples, other fruits, maybe cranberries. can smell hints of alcohol, but not so apparant.

T: I wondered where the cherries were in the smell, but they hit in the first sip. This tastes like it could be a wine of some kind. grapy, viney taste with candied apple taste and other fruits.

M: velvetty... perfect for the style

D: gets better with every sip. That being said, I feel satisfied after drinking the one bottle...good thing too because it's $15/bottle.

4.27/5  rDev -5.1%

Color is clear and reddish, with a small head that fades quickly. Some earthy scent and some, but less, earthy taste. Bright with carbonation, maybe even a little too much. The RR sour taste is nice and cleaner than many other sours. Burns all the way down to the stomach, which is the only thing that decreases drinkability.

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from cork and caged 375ml bottle.
Batch :04X5

First sour ever so lets see what these are all about.

A:pours a burnt orange color with an appealing amount of cloudiness. The head is bubbly lace in the shade buttermilk. Its leaving nice thick lace sheets comprised of foamy bubbles. The top of the head is smooth and frothy looking

S:gobs and gobs of sour cherries and yeasty funk. No booze present in the smell but its almost like brandy soaked cherries. Very sweet smelling and I cant really pick out a ton of brett but it is apparent.

T: WOW. I have heard sours were interesting and that in no way could describe this beer. No amount of words could ever describe this much flavor. First a TON of sour, all different types. mainly cherries but there is a reminiscence of other fruits as well like apples but its mostly a berry sourness. There is a sweet flash almost as things shift from sour to smooth. No off flavors to be found or any alcohol. The aging has done amazing for this beer as all the types of yeast now work as one smooth complex flavor that melds perfectly with the sour from the cherries. The finish is clean and smooth with no aftertaste. I am very impressed.

M:Carbonation is almost the the level of champagne but it fits this style perfectly. Lots of bubbles keep things moving along nicely. Its very nice although im not really sure what the mouthfeel is supposed to be on these or how difficult it is to attain but there is for sure nothing wrong with it.

D: This is great beer. By all accounts this beer is delicious. I cant imagine having a lower quality version. The sourness does take a little getting used to after the initial sip but its all world class from there.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

Served on tap at Russian River brewing company, Santa Rosa Ca. First I'll have to warn that this is the most expensive beer that RR makes, coming in at $12 for a 12oz bottle, so the best way to enjoy it is by the glass which is only about 6 bucks. The reason being is that this beer is aged in pinot noir barrels in the nearby wine country, and uses expensive ingredients such as the sour cherries which gives the brown ale the sour.

Most people will admit they don't like sour beer, and it does sound gross at first, but give this a try and you won't be disappointed. This is the kind of sour ale where each sip beckons for the next. A refreshing change from the hop overload of RR's famous other beers. The taste is dominated by the sourness of it, but in an enjoyable way. The mouthfeel is wine like in it's tartness, but entices you to drink more. This is a beer that defines specialty, hand craftsmanship, and care. Get it on tap if you can, this beer does NOT bottle well.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company