Supplication | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

4.5

Reviews: 1,445 | Ratings: 6,194
4.13/5  rDev -8.2%

Beer is brown and slightly hazy. Form an off white head of small bubbles that falls away leaving some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low. Looks good, not sure what I expected.

Aroma is sweeter than I was expecting for sure. There is also a funky spiciness to the whole thing. I'm interested for sure. What's going to happen next.

OK, I like this beer but this is not my favorite sour, not at all. This was sweet and there is a lot of carbonation in the mouth that accents the sour notes. It ends rather tart but overall its not as sour as the other offerings. Its citric and lactic in nature with a pretty dominant sweetness overall. Mouthfeel is good and drinkability is high. Still a great beer.

4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

12/25/05- Purchased at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- Batch #1, the first bottling. Have had in cellar for a good 1/2 year or so. Cute little 375ml or so caged and corked bottle. $7.50 at Ledger's. Seemed pretty steep at the time. Poured into my Duchesse De Bourgogne chalice.

Appearance- Off orange amber hazed pour. Clear on top and a clouded haze downward. Light 1/4 inch head at first and little lace, but I don't think lace is an issue with this beer.

Smell- Barnyard funk and was hoping there would be. Horse blanket and a bit of wet hay. Maybe a bit of cherry and some oak as well. Smells like rotting oak barrels.

Taste- At first, pretty tart, but that soon fades after the swallow. Decent amounts of malt at first and that mixes well with the sour tartness. I guess the malt kinda balances out the tart with a bit of sweetness. The cherry taste comes more predominant towards the middle of end of the bottle. Maybe I should have shook it up ;) Oak flavors are there as well. In fact oak hits first, then the tartness of a lighter tart lambic and them the nice sweetness of malt comes in. I think this is listed as a WIld Ale, but I would almost call it a Oud Bruin.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly clean and crisp taste. Almost no aftertaste at all. Medium carbonation level and while you a drinking the mouthfeel feels medium to full.

Drinkability- Wish I hadn't had the first half of this with cheese. Tried Camambert cheese for the first time and found I didn't like it's salty taste. So, the first part of my beer experience was muted. Thankfully I have another few bottles and can get a couple more before they disappear. Overall a really tasty beer. One that I will be sure to have again, hopefully many times. Quite a production from Vinnie...would you expect anything else though? Can't wait to have it again.

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%

375 ml bottle Batch 005X3 split between the girlfriend and I. Served at cellar temperature.

A: Dark honey-amber body with steady carbonation bubbles rocketing to the surface. Fizzy and bubbly off-white head. Splotchy lacing and a nice retention cap.

S: Acidic cherry notes, light malt-vinegar, milky, faint wood and some sour citrus. End is apricots and bay leaves.

T: Immediate tartness washes over the entire palate. Some mild honeydew, cherry and papaya flavors give a great balance to the sour qualities. Nothing is overbearing or understated, really nice example of an American Wild.

M: Extremely bubbly and carbonated, though light on the palate. Overall, a wonderful mouth feel for the style.

4.61/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a clear ruby/amber with a finger of off white head that recedes to a thin cover and leaves decent lacing.

S- The aroma is delightful with sweet and tart apples, sour cherries, and light barnyard funk.

T- The taste is quite sour and tart, but extremely refreshing! Tons of cherries and granny smith apple flavor. The lactic fermentation is obvious while the brett isn't as prevalent.

M- The mouthfeel is perfect for the style, light to medium with high carbonation.

O- Overall an excellent beer! Perhaps not quite living up to the hype as I've had several American wilds that are on par or a bit better, but I was not disappointed at all!

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

A: poured a amber brown with yellow highlights and a thin head that left very good sticky lacing.

S: sour acidic cherry aromas with good oak notes and barrel funk. There is also vinegar hints of brett and barn yard hay.

T: very nice sour puckering with the cherries meshing very well with the vinegar to produce a pleasent tart taste along side the oak accents and barn yard funk.

M: light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation that had a sweet sour and slight dry finish. Very nice

D: lovey sour beer from russian river these guys really know how to brew some wild ales. I'm glad I have access to it on a regular. I don't think I can get bored of this beer.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

On tap @ City Beer. 2011 vintage

A - Dark opaque orange with a thin layer of white head

S/T - Vinegar, bready, tart, slightly puckering sour. Fruity/berry notes. Slightly acidic but not overwhelmingly sour.

M - Medium body. Light carbonation. Dry throughout.

4.05/5  rDev -10%

Ordered a bottle of Batch #2 from the RR online store.

Its a hazy red with a bit of foam. Smells of oak, leather, paint. Tastes tangy and a touch bitter with cherry and pinot flavors for the barrels. Drink this one cool as the fruit flavors come out more. The funky bacteria flavors tend to overtake this one as it warms. A heck of an interesting brew though. I'd take this over Rodenbach any day. Cheers to RR for making weird stuff like this.

3.63/5  rDev -19.3%

375ml bottle...man, that's some thick glass.
Pours lighter than I expected, but still a nice amber with a fairly dense head. The small snifter glass I was using really captured the foam and the aroma, which is...sour. Although not all cherry. While some cherry is present, I get more of an apricot or overripe persimmon. Some sweet caramel just barely on the end.

Very small hints of strawberry and red plum in the flavors. Mostly sour bread, sour grapes and cherries. The pinot noir is subtle as is the cherry flavor. Not quire sure which cherries are used. Apricot comes and goes, and the caramel is summarily killed.

Sour, but not overly so. Not much sweetness on this one. Pretty darn good.

4.55/5  rDev +1.1%

Short beige head leaves a cap and collar. Body is a murky turd brown.

Barrel berries is the name of his game.

Omnomnom. Tarty retardy. Cherries. Takes the aroma to a whole 'nother level.

Highly carbonated, perfect. Medium mouthfeel.

It's official, one great sour. One of my favorites in fact. Sour power! Thanks egrace84 for the wind down beer.

4.32/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: pours an amber color with a short 1/2" head that falls to a thick surface foam.

Smell: tart cherries and some funkiness are interesting on the nose.

Taste: tart cherries, some dry earthy / woody tones, some soft ripe fruit sweetness, moderate bitterness, and a a surprisingly well balanced sourness here. Alcohol is barely noticeable.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp and dry throughout. Aftertaste is long as the flavors linger inthe mout for a long time.

Drinkability: for the style this is a very drinkable beer. But one bottle is sufficient in a session. Unique and enjoyable beer.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

The beer pours a cloudy burnt orange color with a 1/2" white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It has a nice sour cherry scent laid over a mild malt base comprised of pale and crystal malts. The taste is awesome. It has a smooth Belgian brown ale flavor with loads of sour cherries in the taste. It goes down like candy and finishes sour and slightly warm. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is a fantastic brew. I love everything about it. I only wish it came in bigger bottles.

4.88/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

While I've had the priviledge to taste Suppication a number of times over the past two years, I never drank a bottle to myself. I'll cut the dramatic intorduction to a simple "04x4" found on the bottle label. On to the beer:

It's got some really good head retention on top, which for a sour is good to see. Even the lacing sticking to glass is impressive and thickish. Very dark orange in color, looking almost like an aged copper penny. The aroma, oh yes! There are a lot of different routes I could go down; cheesy, vinegar, cherry tart, oak, cantelouple, melon...I should note the final two aromas listed won me over.

Supplication is sour, but its acidic character is toned down compared to others out there. First hit gets a tart cherry flavor. Then comes some cheese. After that, the flavor profile goes nuts! Melons, canteloupe, and mango are among the fruits I can taste from this wild beer. Sour tones continue to rain. Towards the end of the sip, I'm getting this sensation of critters. Wrap it all up, and you have here an unbelievably complex beer. The mouthfeel isn't shabby at all. It feels meaty but delicate at the same time, errr, call it tender. And while its tasty flavor profile help make consuming the beer more enjoyable, the beer from the start already was very easy to approach for the style. One more thing, before I put in my final words, there's a checkerboard of spotty lacing that continues to stick, and a thickish blanket of head on top of the final ounce I'm about to finish; I guess I'll have to raise the appearance score.

What else is there to say? Nearly all cylinders of Supplication were clicking to their full potential tonight, and I'm very glad to have finally be given the moment to do an extended trial of this wild exciting beer. If my palate were in 2007 mode, I would have been scratching my head over the hype. Now I get it. There are few beers that can hit all cylinders like Supplication.

4.54/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottle from iguenard, batch 009. 375ml into a tulip.

Browned red, witha finger and change of eggshell head. Moderate retention and good lacing. Nose has oak, cherries, light acetic, mild vinous character, and some underlying sweet malt predominantly masked by the acid. Some underripe apple as well. Taste has sweet oak and malt character initially, and opens up immediately into really juicy cherries, acid and finishes with a subtle pucker. More acidic than directly tart/sour. Shred of alcohol.Mediumhigh carbonation, slight spritz in the conclusion. Complex and fantastically delicious, has all of the qualities I love in a sour.

4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

Batch 004x1. The beer pours a clear orange color with a white head. The aroma is a lot of tart cherries with some oak. The flavor is tart cherries, vanilla and some oak. The beer is dry but not as dry as Sanctification. The cherries really make this an excellent beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This bottle was acquired in a recent trade with BrewerB. Thanks Brian! I've been wanting to try this one for awhile. This bottle was Batch 6X1.

This beer pours a rich, brownish amber in color, very reminiscent of cherry wood. It featured a nice cream colored head which laces the glass and sticks to the sides. The aromas consist of primarily sour cherry with a light grape like sweetness. It has a good amount of funk but it's hard to tell which is winning, the cherry or the funk. I'm glad the sweetness is allowed to show past the cherry. The flavors are very sour and dry. You definitely get a boatload of cherry, oak, and nice funk. The tartness is in your face initially before letting the other flavors take place. The most impressive aspect is how the flavor resonates even five minutes later. It leaves behind a really, really nice aftertaste of all of the flavors meshed together in perfect harmony. Overall this is a very, very good wild and I definitely prefer it over Consecration.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks goes out to Bitterbill for this brew.

Caged/Corked

Batch 002

Got a nice pop from cork pull, poured a nice slightly cloudy darker orange color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy tan head, some nice sticky lacing around the edges. The nose is of sour/tangy grapes, cherries, citrus, malts, and slight caramel. The taste is sour/tangy, slight malts/hops, ends quite dry. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is another awesome brew from RR, highly recommended.

4.54/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

To date I had tried duchesse, monks cafe, petrus sour blonde, dissident, and odio equus. I knew the hype was all around sours and had always thought of them as more of a novelty thing, not really understanding where the craze was coming from. Tried my first supplication from russian river...i absolutely get it now. Cheers.

Batch #3 poured into my St. Bernardus wide mouth. Got this through brotherliam, thanks again. Have not had this since the last shipment to philly. Review 400/1118 or so.

A- A nice burst from the cork pop, no foaming. Suppy's base beer is a brown ale but the look is more of a deep red with bright orange, faint bubbles rising. Cant see through the liquid. Some bubbles form islands of foam on the surface, nothing major, no lace either. This beer looks delicious.

S- This is one great smelling beer, very inviting. The sour cherries are very noticable, telling me they have not faded completely. Funk and some wild yeast strains giving off those strange scents I've come to love. The oak in this is quite possibly my favorite aspect of the nose.

T- At first Im hit with funk and sour cherries. I like supplication fresh as the cherries is what drew me to this in the 1st place. This bottle has some slight age on it. The cherries give off some tart while the 4 wild yeast strains do as well, brett and lacto being heavyhitters. Lemon and other fruits come in under the cherries The oak gives off wood while some wine characteristics step the taste up a few notches, this is tasty as F___. Not really getting any of the brown ale tastes but there is some malt towards the end.

M- This one is quite sour and tart. The puckering capabilities are up there, I can handle it though, this one is a sinch to drink. The body is somewherenear medium with perfect carbonation. I never have to worry about carb on a RR product, they are always dead on. Sup has a crispness to it and is just a lively all around beer.

D- Cant wait for these to come in 750ml bottles, 375 just does not seem like enough, but I do love the small bottles as well. With that said I could and would drink this all night until my stomach could not handle it anymore. It's great cold and just opens up with time. This would go great with some fine cheese, the perfect match. This is one of my favorite beers ever.

Batch 4(About two years old) into my Russian River Tulip.

This beer continues to impress me and it is my favorite. Some time in the bottle really does magic to this. Another pop from the cork, suppy is a brownish red with some orange up towards the light. A cream colored shell of foam stays on top throughout with nice sheets that stick. Smell is straight out lacto with sour cherry at this point. Pungent with leather and I guess you can say malt from the base. A bretty sting with some warming. The cherry has not left, it only got more aggressive. Taste is just oh my god, I love this beer. Cherry flavor with sourness that knocks socks off. I gotta say, Sup does wonders in the bottle if you have a good batch of it and give it some time in a OK enviornment. Sometimes, warm is your friend. Lacto soaked cherry with pedio/sach/brett in that order, no fooling. Supp Vs Sanct, you can tell the difference, especially in the newer Sanct versions with all brett, lacto shines here. Im babbling. All I can say is lay these suckers down if you got em, they will sour till your hearts delight, much more than the batch 4 Temptation which I think is dwindling. I love it.

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

Batch 002; Sampled January 2008
A careful, persistent pour yields a fat-one-finger thick, dingy, tan colored head. The beer is a brilliantly clear, light cherry red color. Tart aromatics of acetic acid, lactic acid and moldy cheese are the first thing I notice in the nose. Quite fruity, but it is a sort of non-descript, perhaps berry-like, sweet fruitiness. The barrel character is present, but held well in check by the other aromatic components; touches of vanillin, a backdrop of spicy oak, some hints of butterscotch around the edges and a tannic character that is definitely noticed. The nose is quite funky, teetering on the edge of being off; over-ripe cheese, penicillin and buttery oak notes all contribute to this. Compared to a Lambic, this has quite a bit of acetic acid character to it, which is something I always enjoy if kept to a reasonable level.

Tart tasting, in fact very tart tasting; this is a nice mix of lactic and acetic notes. The lactic acid is the more prevalent not, but I am not sure that the lesser amount of acetic acid is not the most noticed part of the acidity. Flavors of tart cherries, tamarind and star fruit are all noticeable in this exceedingly dry beer. The body actually has a bit of heft to it though, which should be attributed to the barrel contribution and touches of residual malt character. Dry cherry notes, rich (though diluted) balsamic character, . A tannic, tongue coating note in the finish adds spicy almost piquant oak flavors that coat the tongue in a long finish. The barrel adds notes of buttery oak, spicy wood, some soft, creamy vanillin and probably even some berry flavors (assuming that the noticed berry flavors are coming from the Pinot Noir part of the barrel). As the beer warms it really starts to come into its own; the fruit & malt seem to balance the sour notes all that much more and make this even more enjoyable.

This is quite a bit more acetic in character than batch one. This is actually quite hard for a red / brown styled sour beer. An aggressive, but enjoyable, experience if you are into that sort of thing. I like that the oak character is much more integrated (though it still plays a significant role) than it was in batch one, but it still has a little ways to go before it hits that perfect balance between malt and funk / oak. This is still a fantastic beer, but I can't wait to see if Vinnie can dial this in a bit more over the next couple batches.

Batch 001; Sampled July 2005
4/4.5/5/4/5 total=4.6
Pours a hazy ruby red color when held up to the light, an amber color otherwise. The head is thin and tan in color. The aroma is dominated by a fresh oakiness, but, especially when I was pouring this, there is a nice acetic acid note to this that reminds me of a Rodenbach. The nose has notes of buttery oak, hints of cherries, balsamic, and a certain tannic woodiness. The aroma is quite well integrated with a great balance to it, though it does lean toward the acidity, which I am partial to.

The taste is fairly dry, much drier than the pasteurized Flemish beers, but still strikes a malty balance with a bit of caramel complexity to it. The finish is pleasingly acidic, with a leaning towards the acetic side of things. This beer is really well done, I am quite impressed, this is quite a bit farther along than the temptation. The finish has notes of a tannic woodiness, plus a long sour note that lingers along with the woodiness. This beer certainly reminds me of cherries, with a nice fruitiness to it. The more I drink it the more I become enamored of this beer, an authentic Flemish style sour beer that has not been pasteurized. This is quite a bit better, and much more balanced than New Belgium's La Folie. There is a wonderful interplay between the oak, maltiness, and acid character; this is superb and I can't wait to get more vintages of this.

4.54/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Russian River
Supplication

Poured into a snifter, pours a bright copper color . Had excellent clarity, though the head does die quickly. Aroma of funky bugs, cider vinegar, cherry, oak, and brown sugar. Has a sour aroma overall, which to a fan of wild ales, is quite delighting.

In the taste, puckering sourness, cherry pit, apple cider, lemon juice, vinegar, with a snappy lactic/acetic boom. Tart to sour, musty, oaky, and semi dry. Has the taste of white wine, not surprising through the stated use of Pinot Noir barrels. Mild herbal bitterness, the sourness really is the bite to this brew. Has a medicinal note, and the fruitiness of the cherry grows in the aftertaste.

A medium bodied, well carbonated offering, full of flavor. There is an oaky dryness with lingering fruit and sour notes sticking to the palate. Minutes after sipping there is still a strong sour flavor. This is a sipper meant to be savored.

Supplication makes for a great addition to any glass or beer cellar. Quite sour, mildly fruity, and full of wild ale funk. Enjoyable through and through, thanks to GodsBrother for picking me up a bottle from the brewery. Lovely stuff.

4.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Batch 003 - sampled April 6, 2009.

Sun blistered cognac that is, quite surprisingly, crystal clear. The complexion is immaculate and its tone radiant. The refermentation in bottle (the same process used in Champagne) was hugely successful at providing carbonation; the capping is firm, thick and thorough. It's said for Champagne that the smaller the bubbles the finer the wine - if these little acrobatic pin pricks are any indication this will be of the usual Vinnie Cilurzo high standard of quality.

Pouring the bottle at arms length I could pick up on the aromatics of fruit vinegar, musty oak and fruit juices. With my nose buried in the glass the funky trio of Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus wild yeasts raddle the nose hairs. Its volatile, long-chained molecules then stream up the nasal passage, prancing through a pattern of receptors, before finally tickling the olfactory nerve cell at the bulb of the brain.

It is there, in the brain's olfactory cortex, where higher functions such as memory and emotion are coordinated with the sense of smell. My memory makes the connection to musty, wine soaked oak barrels, butterscotch and cherry juice. The emotion side recaptures the encounters of gueuze in Brussels, it reminisces the Red Ales of Flanders, and remembrance of a tasting in the barrel room in Santa Rosa.

The taste is, put simply, a sour red wine-like Belgian-style ale with tons of complex funk. More specifically, it's an intense fruitiness that includes plum, ripe raspberry, black cherry and red currant flavors. The taste of musty oak is prevalent and the backdrop is a combination of both metallic and malty notes. There are hints of butterscotch, an abundance of vanilla and spicy phenols in low amounts.

The mouthfeel is dominated by an acidic, tannic bitterness and a touch of oxidization. The sourness (which is still well shy of being puckering) imparts a noticeably acetic/vinegary character. There's also a touch of sherry-like character which, along with the brown malts, produces a sweet-and-sour profile (the sour outnumbering the sweet by 2:1). It has all the dryness of a white wine but all the complexities of an aged, vintage red.

I've enjoyed this batch more than the previous (002) but I appreciate the concept of each vintage being unique. Such annual changes burgeon with notions of immortality and evolution; the idea that the beer lives on to provide sustenance even after its grains are spent, the cherries rotted and the yeasts tired. The beautiful tragedy of it is the vintage is consumed and only the memory of it remains; thus conveying the transience of life.

...at least until next year.

4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

On draft at the brewpub.

Pours a hazy light copper/ruby color with a slightly pink, off white head. Cherry and oak on the nose with potent lactic sourness. Slight earthiness and vanilla on the aroma as well. This batch of draft is not as intensely sour as other bottles I've had. Cherries are a little fruiter and tart, and overall the flavor is sweeter. Medium bodied, moderate carbonation and a dry finish. It is what it is.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

12 oz. blue bottle, batch 002, bought at ABC Liquor in Long Beach, CA, on December 10th, 2007,

A: Pours a murky brown, but with a thick, nice, white head that leaves good retention until the beer is drunk, nice lacing there as well, but not a 5.

S: Complex - Brown ale malt, sour cherries - kind of a Warheads/Sour Patch kids smell, but not artificial, real cherries, also balsamic vinegar, tart apples, strawberry, horse blankets and funk, with a hint of gouda or cheddar cheese, red apple peel as well. Possibly the most fragrant, beautiful smelling beer I have ever had.

T: Just as complex as the smell. Tartness and sour cherries at first sip, then the grape skins come in. The pinot noir and barnyard character is there throughout, there is also a light taste of grass and wood, wet hay as well. Once the beer is in your mouth for a couple of seconds, there is this funky hit that is just to die for. Truly fantastic and a brewing work of art.

M: Smooth, acidic, and tart, but it just melts across the tongue at a perfect pH, sublime, definitely has a cidery character to it.

D: This is definitely one of the best beers that I have ever had. I had had it once before when it was first released in stores here in SoCal a few months ago and really liked it, but this time wow. It's so easy to drink, I could have drank it in like 20 minutes, but I milked it for a couple of hours while watching the Santa Clause because it's so damn good. An extraordinary beer, couldn't recommend it more, go buy it, it's worth the price, even if it is about a dollar an ounce.

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from 375mL bottle into a tulip. Batch 04X3, whatever that means.

Appearance: deep, woody amber color with a finger of compact tan head. Looks good enough to eat. There is a very nice lacing left on the glass as I drink.

Smell: tart and woody with a little sweet malt aroma coming through. Complex and tasty smelling.

Taste: this is one tart wild ale. Flavor moves from tartness to woodiness and, finally, to the sweet fruitness of the cherries. The cherry flavor is more of a hint or suggestion, but it proves a very nice contrast to the brightness up front. The cherry lingers on the palate a good long time. This beer is quite delicious.

Mouthfeel: medium body with big carbonation. While not really creamy (it's too acidic for that), it is still a very smooth effect which I find appealing.

Drinkability: this is incredibly drinkable. Were I to win the lottery tomorrow, I'd definitely try to get my hands on a few cases of this stuff.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Batch 007. Opens with a loud pop of the cork. The color of this beer is dark gold with a subtle reddish tint. It's cloudy with a bit of yeasty sediment sitting at the bottom of the glass, some rises to the top and speckles the massive off-white head, which has terrific retention. Guess I poured it a little too hard. Lace is sticky and sudsy.

Tart and sour aroma, with cherry notes detected a foot away from the glass, and I don't have a very good nose at all (allergies). Very tangy, fruity zip with tannic, wine-like qualities. Delicious and strong flavor, complex, quite tart and sour with a nice cherry presence. Light sweetness offsets the intense sourness a bit, but it's still strong. Yeasty. Alcohol definitely present in the taste as well; you can tell this isn't a soda.

Nicely carbonated, giving it life on the tongue. Long, lingering finish full of puckering sourness. Very refreshing. Kind of a super-sour, alcoholic cherry soda. Just excellent. I drank the first half of the bottle alone then finished it alongside a spicy italian hero sandwich and it was a nice pairing, the tart beer cutting into and combining well with the fatty meats, cheeses, and pickled cherry peppers.

I don't know how often I'll buy this one as it costs nearly 15 bucks a bottle on the East Coast but definitely worth a try!

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company