Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Blind Pig IPA | Russian River Brewing Company

Ratings: 5,799 |  Reviews: 1,451

1.2/5  rDev -72.5%

1.5/5  rDev -65.6%

1.87/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

510 ml bottled on 082615. Exactly two weeks old.

L: Clear golden in color. Small head quickly settled before I even get a chance to instagram it :) very nice lancing. Beautiful appearance for sure.

S: Big fail. This one is not aromatic. If there's no date on the bottle I would assume this is pretty old. Very light citrus, light caramel and hint of pine.

T: bland, reminds me of an old english-style ipa. I can't believe the hype of this beer. There's a light spicy/herbal flavors that I can't describe but noting really unique.

M: unpleasantly dry aftertaste, very bitter, and very light. Extremely drinkable but not sticky or juicy. Very good carbonation however, I really enjoyed that part.

O: Maybe the most underwhelming drinking experience. Extremely overhyped beer. This is nothing close to a good ipa, definitely below average ipa.

2.5/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.63/5  rDev -39.7%

A - Light orange color with an inch of head which retained itself quite well.

S - Smelled of strong hops with a little citrus mixed in.

T - Grapefruit citrus at first but then all that I tasted was an overpowering hop taste.

M - Light taste with decent carbonation.

D - Considering RR's Pliny the Elder has become one of my favorite Double IPAs, just seemed to lack the balance I have come to expect from my favorite IPAs and experienced from Pliny the Elder. Not for me. For others that enjoy the large amount of hop taste.

2.75/5  rDev -36.9%

2.75/5  rDev -36.9%

2.8/5  rDev -35.8%

2.88/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.92/5  rDev -33%

Not worth all of the fuss. There's hundreds of better beers to worry about getting.

2.95/5  rDev -32.3%

A-An almost glowing golden color...nice lacing on the glass.

S-The smell is sweet citrus...ripe oranges, pinneaples, and tangerines....a mild caramel like maltiness blends in nicely

T-Similar, but different that the nose...where the nose leads one to think sweet fruit cocktail, the taste is actually sharply citrus, with piney notes as well. The fruits on the taste are unsweetened pink grapefruit, and orange peel.

M-Seems one-sided....more of a hop juice style IPA than a juicy flavorful IPA....malt seems to be missing in the body....finishes very dry and bitter

D-Depends on what you want in an IPA and what you like. This is as bitter an IPA as I've had but lacks the overall juicy hop notes I like. I much preferred Pliny to this. I always like to compare the big hitters to our state's best known canned IPA Surly Furious (which is kind of in the middle of the IPA and DIPA area imho). Personally I think Furious is a better beer. The bitterness is about the same but Furious has a better overall flavor to me. I know others really like this and it has won many awards but for me it is not an elite IPA because it is too one-sided and lacks the juicy flavorful hop elements I enjoy.

2.96/5  rDev -32.1%

If the only falvour you expect in a beer is hops then this is the beer for you.

The slightly off-white head instantly dissapated to leave my usual 12 ounces of beer in my pint glass. As an aside I asked for a top-up, didn't get one again, and thus left no tip.
Anyway, the smell was all floral, and I got nothing else, although I have to say that I think the rating of ice-cold beer on its nose is a slightly futile task. The taste was all hops, it;s bitter without balance and there is nothing else going on bar a bit of orange and a tiny bit of malt fighting, unsucessfully, to show its face.
On the finnish you get a really dry tongue that doesn't feel great. I had two because it was this, Anchor steam or hoegarten and it got no better on the second.
I'm flabbergasted this is rated as one of the world's 100 best beers.

2.98/5  rDev -31.7%

Drank from a 1 PINT .9 FL. OZ./500 ML bottle purchased at City Beers, San Francisco, CA
Bottled on 070908
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a crystal clear, yellowish-amber color. Rather light for the style. The two-finger, bubbly, bright white head left thick rings of sudsy looking lacing all down the glass.

The aroma was hoppy and fruity. Citrusy with strong notes of orange, grapefruit and a hint of tropical fruits.

The taste was super hoppy and bitter from start to finish. Somewhat astringent. I could hardly detect any malt presence in this beer. The hops were crisp, spicy and grapefruit-like up front and they turned super piney by mid-palate. This intense, piney, bitter flavor carried into the dry and pithy finish. Overall, not a terribly complex beer.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied (a touch lighter than expected) with an average amount of carbonation.

This was unquestionably one of the most bitter beers I have sampled to date. I can appreciate a wide array of IPA's but there needs to be some semblance of balance for me to find them enjoyable.

2.99/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company