Blind Pig IPA | Russian River Brewing Company

rrbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Ratings: 5,772 |  Reviews: 1,448

Not hoppy enough and tastes flat. Don't understand the love here

3.01/5  rDev -30.5%

Bottled on 1/03/2011 poured into tulip.

A honey gold color with one finger head. Floral hops in the nose, but not as strong as I was hoping. On the front end of the taste seems extremely watered down which is disappointing. The hop bitterness kicks in on the back end, but I still cant get over the water down flavor. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with decent carbonation and the drinkability is average. I just don't like the watered down taste in the beginning mixing with the bitter end.

Maybe This IPA is a little past its drink by date, but I have had double troubles 3 months after bottling and it still tasted amazing.

3.02/5  rDev -30.3%

App: White, foamy head. Bright/light copper, very clear except yeast. Minimal retention and lacing.

Nose: Biscuits, citrus, big profile, a bit of vanilla and banana nut bread. Sweet nose with a hint of pear at the end.

Taste: Perfect carbonation. Slightly syrupy finish, dry in the middle, pineapples and mangoes, not much else.

Notes: Not as good as it was when brewed in Temecula.

3.06/5  rDev -29.3%

I was just expecting a lot more from a beer that was coming from Russian River Brewery. It just wasn't for me.....

3.06/5  rDev -29.3%

This is missing any real taste...

3.08/5  rDev -28.9%

500 ml bottle. Pours goden yellow with a frothy white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is pretty subdued (esp after Pliny). There are some sweet sugary malts and a little melon and some peppery hops.

The flavor is some sweet malt and fruits with a kind of abrasive charcoal hop bitterness in the finish that has a good amount of bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, I didn't really care for the hop flavor profile. I was surprised considering how much I liked the Pliny (which was much more balanced). Given the same price, I would take the Pliny over this any day of the week.

3.08/5  rDev -28.9%

06/11/17

LOOK: light yellow beer color, small business lasting and creamy head.
AROMA: grass, hay,
TASTE: pine, hairspray
FEEL: a little creamy, thin body

3.09/5  rDev -28.6%

So, I am sure many of you will disagree with me on this, but personally, I did not enjoy this beer. Though, I can understand why so many people enjoy it.

I never understood why smell was a category in these rating, but this beer is why! I have never smelled a drink that had such a great aroma. It has a very strong floral scent that I find refreshing.

The problem (for me) is that it has such an unpleasant bitterness to it that I couldn't enjoy it. I was quite disappointed, but as I said, I can understand why others enjoy it.

3.11/5  rDev -28.2%

A: Pours a hazy reddish/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Light lace is left behind.
S: Huge resiny pine up front and center. A large bitterness. Nothing else.
T: Again, huge pine that dominates. Bitterness lingers on for ever. Nothing else but a sharp bitterness.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Really sticky and syrupy. Pretty hard for me to finish. I just get fatigued trying to finish this.

I really like RR. PtE is one of my favorite DIPA's. I thought I was going to like this, but there is nothing to take away from the palate burning pine and bitterness. Not for me.

3.11/5  rDev -28.2%

I think this is a very average IPA it just really doesn't have a lot of flavor.

3.14/5  rDev -27.5%

Aromas of extremely pungent pine, fresh lemon, grapefruit, and faintly resinous hops. No malt at all; fairly clean.

The taste is completely and utterly dry, with nothing but wave after wave of citrusy and resiny hops assalting your tastebuds. I really cannot stomach such a hop bomb with no malt balance or detectability for that matter. If you are into this kind of thing you will love this beer but I prefer the ability to taste my next beer without having to eat a meal to cleanse my pallate.
The mouthfeel is fairly light bodied with very low carbonation. Smooth and slick, but not memorable.

Overall a miss for me just because of my style preferences, but I can see how some would enjoy.

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company