Blind Pig IPA | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,434 | Ratings: 5,689
3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

On tap at RR Brewing Co.

The beer was a bright golden yellow with a small white head that quickly disappeared.

The aroma was bursting with herbal, earthy, and citrusy hops.

The flavor of the beer was dominated by intense hops that were a little coarse for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I love mad flavor, but I prefer hoppiness that leans towards the resiny, citrusy side.

The maltiness of the beer was crisp and light.

The carbonation seemed good and the mouthfeel was light.

This is a reasonably solid beer, but a little rough on the edges for me. Pliny (the Elder and Younger) are both superior offerings from RR in my opinion. Still, grab a pint when you see it on tap. This beer's relatively rare.

3.71/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500mL bottle picked up locally, yeah, that's pretty cool.

Really nice hop nose, clean hops, gives me a the chills just sniffing it. Recently bottled 072308...bout as fresh as they get for what I can see.

Nice bitterness that doesn't get washed out. Leaves the pine, fruity hop flavor all over the mouth, like licking resin off my teeth. Doesn't have the malt to hold back the hops, this scrubbed my tongue and left it scared more than the Elder.

I liked it, nice beer.

Thank the gods I've developed a love for IPA's....

3.71/5  rDev -14.3%

Bottled 07/18/11. RR 'tion glass.

A: Pours crystal clear pale gold with a solid one and a half finger block of white foam. Good retention, some lacing.

S: Nicely integrated grass, floral, and a bit of tropical fruit, but the smell is pretty faint. The head kind of smells like orange vanilla.

T: Faint pineyness and a moderate dosage of bitter. Not a ton of flavor.

M: Light carbonation and medium-light body is appropriate for the beer.

O: Tastes good, is well constructed, a nice refreshing summer beer, but not a stand out. This seems more like a pale ale or bitter, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Just that I was expecting more of a hop parade.

3.72/5  rDev -14.1%

A- Medium gold amber, almost no head, but poured by a well versed bar tender expecting a good tip (good tip = no head)

S - Pine, citrus, overall not too fragrant.

T/M -- Crisp, clean, hops, hops, hops. Mouthfeel is dry and crisp. Awesome IPA flavors.

O - Impressive, had my first Pliny 5 years ago, never ventured over the the PIG side. And wish I would have earlier, this is a top 10 IPA all day, delivers more than the average DIPA. MUST TRY.

PP (Price Point) - $7 for a fresh pint less than 50 miles away from the brewery, spot on for the price, good stuff at this price!!

3.72/5  rDev -14.1%

A- Pours a golden orange with light head. Carbonation streaming from the bottom of glass.

S- This beers smells WONDERFUL! Pine and hints of oranges.

T- Bitter and hoppy. Very dry.

M- Clean and dry. Smooth at first but bitter aftertaste lingers.

O- I enjoyed the beer but I definitely won't be seeking it out.

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured a 500 mL bottle (dated 03/01/2010) into an oversized red wine glass to capture the aroma.
A: Golden amber with a dense creamy white head that slowly died to a good film and collar that had constant bubbles slowly running up the middle.
S: Bright citrus and piney hops with a bready, earthy sweet malt. There is some subtle blackberry and banana characteristics.
T: A strange rustic twang and bitterness, with the hops leafy like spinach. There is a sweet bread backbone and a subtle but lingering resiny hops with very light blackberry flavor.
M: Somewhat syrupy with a frothy carbonation and dry afterfeel.
D: Pretty good for the style.

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

A-Nice golden color with the slightest hint of red. nice white head that leaves minimal lace.
S-Kind of a funky earthy, herbal smell. Lots of pine. Probably fuggles hops.
T-Citrus, herbal, earthy and pine flavors with a very nice malt sweetness. Good balance.
M-Light, slightly malty, good hop dryness in the finish.
Overall, an interesting IPA. I'm used to a more citrus biterness thses days but this is more piney and earthy to me.

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured a pumpkin orange with a big off-white head. Nice gobs of lacing left behind. The smell was malty overall (and very light) which is a surprise, being that it is pretty freshly bottled. I do smell some small floral, citrus and pine notes though and they're pretty nice. The taste kept with the nose, I just felt that it was a little to mellow of an IPA. The mouth was a bit thin. Not bad, I'm curious to try it on tap.

3.74/5  rDev -13.6%

Hazy light orange body. Bubbly ivory white head. Lace is abundant and web like. Aroma is outstanding. Everything that is good about hops with a little backdrop of sweet malt. It's fresh, grassy, piney, abundantly citrusy and fruity with pineapple and grapefruit nuances. Exquisite nose. The body of this beer is light and thin. Carbonation quite low. Bitterness quite high. The bitterness is actually pretty scathing for an IPA. Jagged and rough. Hop flavors are more in the background, with some lemon rind and grassiness coming to mind. Malt load could use a little boost to add a little more balance, a little more body and a little more flavor. This is decent. Although Smelling the beer was the climax of this experience. If/when I order more Russian River, I'll definitely be hitting up the Elder (and the Younger hopefully) before hitting this up again.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

The second and final bottle of Blind Pig from the small shipment of Cali selections I made while visiting Holiday Liquors in Escondido.

The appearance is a hay colored gold with a small but very sticky head that webbed the glass with each pull from my nonic. Steady carbonation throughout the sampling.

Aroma was piney with evergreen and yet somewhat floral and sweet. Hoppiness abounds, yet it's not over the top, though I expected a fairly aggressive nose and got it.

Taste was dominated by hop bitterness which brought the evergreen and pine combination into the flavor. Suprisingly understated which was at tad disappointing. Smooth for an IPA.

Mouthfeel was slick and satisfying.

A fairly drinkable beer and could easily be enjoyed for multiple rounds. A good brew that I would recommend to IPA fans.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

Well, boys and girls, this is my 100th review! And I am excited to do it!

A buddy of mine brought me a few of these from Cali, he did good.

As suggested on the label, I poured this bad boy into a mason jar. I like mason jars. Pours nearly golden with a fluffy head. Smells citrusy. I don't smell very well, so all I can pick up is that pine/citrus smell that these beers have. The taste to me is good, but not great. I like the hop character flavors, but it finishes a bit bitter. It's not a ton of bitterness, but not my forte. Overall drinkability is good and I am going to enjoy the rest of my beers.

-Bye

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This bottle is almost two months old at the time of review. The beer comes in an amber color. There isn't much aroma. A little bit of malt and pine. The taste is a pretty standard west coast malt character with some great hop flavor coming through. I think I would enjoy a fresher bottle more.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Toronado in San Francisco. Wasp-colored yellow with watery lacing. Reserved hop odor, some cold grapefruit. Astringent grapefruit bitterness, very bitter and dry. Citrusy and mildly one-dimensional, though the malt is enough to support the hops, which is always good. Some sweet lemon. Medium bodied. Overall, its an aggresive beer, but a little bit of a one trick pony. Despite not having anything amazing to say about this beer, however, I have to admit i drank it swiftly and with gusto. So high marks for drinkability.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

by way of psprings cause he felt bad letting this sit around... bottled 7/22/2008. in all fairness this is going on six months old. still, fantastic though not optimal.

pours a hazy orange gold iced/ tea color with a soft white head.

lots of citrus on the nose... grapefruit, orange and pineapple blend with caramel and non resinous pine.

the flavor is the same... tart pineapple (not the golden ones), tangerines, caramel/maltiness, grass, floral hops and an earthy finish which is persistently parching. very clean. pleasant medium body with a creamy mouth feel. the malts are balanced nicely hoppy dryness and near bitterness.

it's nice now. i can't imagine it fresh!
7/3/7/4/16/3.7

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

500ml bottle poured in to a large chalice. Bottled on 09/05/08.

Pours a copper color with white fluffy head and residuals floating throughout. Medium carbonation. Sticky lacing left behind as the beer is drank. Smells of sugary malts and a light smell of fruity hops. Earthy, leathery malts complimented by a mild citrusy/fruity hops flavor. Mild bitter aftertaste. Light mouth feel with medium/low carbonation. I could definitely drink several of these beers. Overall I was fairly surprised how mild this beer was. After all, the label describes the beer as "...a bold IPA packed full of hop aroma, flavor, and bitterness." I didn't get this. Maybe I got a bad bottle or maybe because I drank it 119 days after it was bottled? Who knows? Not what I expected but still a good beer overall.

A- Pours a clear amber color with a fluffy 1 1/2 finger head, good lacing

S-Piney notes followed by hops and more hops with some citrus

T- Really hoppy upfront. with alittle piney in the middle and finishs with more hops

M-Medium Bodied with good carbonation

D-Overall this is just a Big hop bomb ipa. Which is ok and it gets the job done. Wish it had alittle more going on with it . but overall it is a good beer.

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%

From a bottle dated 102208, making it about 6 months old. Appears to have been kept in a refrigerated section at the beer store in Denver.

Appearance: Golden yellow, mediocre haed, some lacing but not great.

Aromas of hops: Piney, citrusy, some orange and grapefruit and pinecone.

Taste was definitely an IPA, as there were lots of hop flavors and bitterness to go around. But not really a lot of depth of flavor or balance.

Leaves a lingering bitterness on the palate, but is relatively thin bodied.

Overall, this is an okay IPA, but I am wondering if the high ratings stem more from it being brewed by Russian River than the actual flavor of the beer itself.

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%

Bottled on Date 10/30/2009. Drank 12/5/2009.

A - Middle Amber/Golden color with light head that faded quickly.

S- Good smell of Citrus, Pineapple, Lemons, Pine, Hops, Malt. Expected more Hops smell.

T- Light malt, citrus, grapefruit, more bitter than expected

M- Kind of watery with high carbonation.

D- A beer I will definitely drink again especially for the price.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

500mL and various tap pints. This is one of those IPAs that I have never enjoyed. No matter how fresh, this one and I do not match well.

500mL. Poured a clear to slight hazy orange, glowing with a large, rocky, cream head that left massive lacing of Jesus. Aroma is massive mango pulp, resinous hops. Taste is dry, void, saw dust, bitter, thin. Not fresh (?). I’ll take another Sculpin and Alpine Duet. K thx bye. 7/9/2010 8/5/6/3/12=3.4

Tap at Toronado SF. The pour is a clear orange with a small but sticky white head. Aroma of fresh citrus, pineapple, and caramel. Taste is dry, earthy, potpourri, bitter, lemony. As it warms, sweet Valencia oranges come into play for some sugary body. Less full and less fruity compared to PtE. But overall it is super fresh, quenching, and neither malt forward or malt forward. Yum! 2/4/2011 8/4/7/4/14=3.7

500mL thanks to OaklandBrewer. Consumed exactly one month after bottling. Pours a crystal clear light orange to deep gold. Thicker, off-white head. Thick rings of lace. Looking good. Nose is thick orange peel, rich citrus, melon character. Approaching an 8 for nose. Taste is sharp, bitter, lots of citrus rind. Nice stuff, could use some extra butterscotch thickness. Perhaps a little dry with nice hints of kumquat and meaty jackfruit. Nice refreshing, lighter mouthfeel. 3.7 is about right. Nice stuff though there are plenty of better IPAs in the sea.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Look- nice light orange/gold little to no head some lace.
Smell-good smell I was hoping for more but still very nice (I would brew it)
Taste-nice and hoppy, C+ bitterness with a B+ maltiness finish, taste great, good on a hot day kinda beer.
Mouthfeel-Good carbonatin, almost silky, I dig it.
Drinkability- I could really put this beer away all day. I like a bigger IPA (a.k.a. Pliny the Elder) but I could drink more of this in comparison due to the lighter body and low alcohol content. Great IPA

Bottled on date of 03/21/13

Appearance - Pours clear and golden with a white, 2 finger head. Fair retention. Leaves a somewhat smooth surface, with bubbles clinging at the edge of the glass. Lacing is streaky and spotty, with good stick.

Smell - Orange zest, stone fruit, hints of pine and black pepper. Lesser notes of sweetened bread.

Taste - Starts with orange and a touch of stone fruit character, backed by a sweet, clean bready malt background. A touch of black pepper spiciness. Good balance. Finishes with slight pine, a touch of grass and orange pith bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with soft carbonation. Crisp, dry finish.

Overall - Good, but I'm not big on dry IPA's like this. Lagunitas IPA is the same way; in fact, these two beers are quite similar in many ways. For the price, I'd just as soon drink the Lagunitas than buy this again.

3.79/5  rDev -12.5%

Picked this up in California during my California to San Antonio trip. This survived the travels in my car then the flight from San Antonio to Chicago ( I was fortunate enough to have one back in California on tap too)

Anyway, I think I had this before; my first impression was that it was a "good" beer. It definitely did not knock my socks off, but I would drink it.

Smell-does not stick out for me...average; don't know if the trip messed with this, but I did a good job of trying to control for temperature changes

Appearance- this is probably the highlight for me. This is a very clean looking, amber shining beer, with a 1/2 in white head. and spotty lacing.

Overall, it is a very drinkable IPA, balanced and not a palate crusher.

3.79/5  rDev -12.5%

Bottled dated 08/04/11 poured into DFH glass.
Clear, golden-honey elixir topped by thick, white bubbles, leaving a nice one-finger head that lasts about half way through the tasting. Glass thickly covered by Belgian lace.
Sticking my nose into this thing there is a bit of pine, grass, earth tones, but not much else. Expected more of a hop presence here.
Quick bitterness hits the tongue with ample carbonation. Smooth hops linger with touch of malt at the finish.
To my palate this is more tasting like an APA, especially with the 6.10 ABV. These session IPAs are nice and I favor them on a hot summer day. Kind of take the place of lawn mower beers for hopheads.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a golden-hued, dark sunset orange color with a bone-white head that crackles audibly and stays put for a good while.

Aroma is very much full-on citrus, although I don't detect a ton of malt. Both rind-like and resiny, it seems obvious this is a hop-wallop of an IPA. Let's see...

This is my second in two days, and both times I was a little disappointed. Maybe it's the hype behind this beer, but I found it to be a little lacking. Lacking malt presence/sweetness, precisely. While I absolutely love a ridiculously hopped beer, there seems a fine line between a seriously hop-centric beer and one that feels one-dimensional. This leans toward one-dimensional, but isn't entirely bad. My prevailing thought is "salt." This has a salty character that points to an under-usage of malt. The salt especially prevails in the finish. And that's bad. But its orange-y character is pleasing, as is the more general citrus attack.

Feel is slick and medium-bodied and bright...not creamy or all that round, but as the American IPA style goes, especially one from California, it's just about right.

I can enjoy this beer. It just lacks the depth of Russian River's better hop-centric sensation, Pliny the Elder (and Younger, for that matter, which I was lucky enough to have on tap once). Maybe a third bottle would convince me, or maybe I've just burnt myself out on killer West Coast IPAs during my stay here, but for now, I have to call it a tad overrated.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

3/6/09 Pint at O'Briens.

Appearance is golden with moderate head.

Smell is hoppy / floarl / piney.

Taste matches smell but with a slight flintiness. Little hint of alcohol, hops are out front. Two steps down from the Elder in hoppiness and taste. Mouthfeel is light and hoppy.

Overall, a more session-freindly version of Pliny the Elder, although the taste is does not do as much for me. Still very drinkable, but I may be spoiled from excessive Pliny exposure.

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company