Blind Pig IPA | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,430 | Ratings: 5,681
4.59/5  rDev +6%

bottled 10/22/08, poured 12/28, .5L bottle. this has been showing up on tap quite a bit here in Philly over the past several months, and I've been totally impressed. In fact I'll take this over Elder (which has been on tap here with even more frequency) just about any day. As one beloved corporation would say this beer is all about drinkability (ok ok I'm sorry). I'm glad to finally be sitting down and putting some thought into this experience. Anyways, the pour grows into a finger high blanket of dense creamy head, which slowly erodes back into my pint glass, leaving behind a nice coat of sticky looking lace. hazy and golden...

s: each inward breath through my nose is a near nasal orgasm, mostly due to my surprise at the big smells this beer emits. Dominated by tropical fruits - tangerines, a hint banana, green melon. But a bit of darker fruits are showing up also. The undertones of the earthy herbal piney stink weed become incredibly pronounced as the Pig warms. Exceptional would sum it up.

T: The taste is a bit slow up front...starts light and gentle with the citric acidity of OJ, opens into a hint of malty sweetness which metamorphoses into an explosion of liquid pine cones as the beer goes down. Yes this is what I have been waiting for, my throat is electrified with sticky floral hop goodness. By the time Pig is in my gullet my tongue and throat have been bombarded with this utterly superior floral bitterness and again the word orgasm comes to mind. And thats that... I can only think of only a few IPA's I've tasted that have been more impressive.

MF: crisp bright and light on the front of the mouth but leaves a sticky coating in my throat. This Pig can do tricks; its definitely doing double duty and wearing lipstick...the MF is an almost unbeatable example for the style.

D: There's probably a rule against mentioning AB twice during a RR review so I'll just shutup and say that it is almost certainly the best drinking IPA I've had in years, if not ever.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma: Huge, clear citrusy hop nose. Floral hop aromatics all over the place. Light sweet maltiness in the background but this bad boy is all about the hop.

Appearance: Brilliantly clear and effervescent with a sticky, sudsy white cap.

Flavor: Citrus, lemon zest, bittering hop resins, no malt base to speak of. Finish is dry and clean. It is amazingly smooth for being all hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium carbonation, and dry. No alcohol heat is present.

Overall impression: A classic West Coast IPA. This is clean and sharp. Truly a treat to cherish.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I poured from a 500 ml bottle into a tulip glass. It pours a golden yellow with a thick, lucious, white head. The head has nice staying power and leaves beutiful lacing. The aroma is of pine potpouri. Like any good IPA the taste is heavy on pine notes. The resin in this one coats your tongue and stays around for a while. There is a malty backbone that lets it have some balance. This pig is medium bodied with decent carbonation. It goes down very nice. Probably the best IPA I have had, it is a DIPA with a lower ABV.

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Golden delicious with a white head that lingers and lacing as if it were Victorian curtains.

S - Floral hops and more Floral hops

T - Floral Hops. Perfect blend of hops and malt. Well balanced for how HOPPY this IPA is.

M - Medium bodied very easy to drink.

D - I had two of these at the brewpub without effort. Goes down so smooth.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

A- pours a really nice inch or so head yellow with a nice slight white head with lots of lacing
S- ripe citrus,some pine fresh hops, more hops, very fresh and inviting
T- really smooth, the tastes is nice, im supristed its not in the double IPA category, the hops are all over the place, some light grapefruit notes
M- nice carbonation , really refreshing, just a great west coast IPA
D- very very good, def bluring the DIPA line, but a very low abv

a really really solid west coast IPA i will reach for this one again for sure! exactly how a west coast IPA should taste. well done!

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

This is how you do an IPA. Hell, there's more going on in this IPA than in most DIPAs on the market.

While "appearance" probably rates last on the list of qualities I look for in a beer, I think this is a beautiful beer. It's a nice golden color, and pours with a pretty decent head and a good amount of carbonation.

Smell and taste go hand and hand here. This is a very hoppy IPA that is just overloaded with piney/citrusy goodness. The malt does it's job as quietly and subtlety as possible. Good, I say! I'm tired of over-malted IPAs and DIPAs.

Drinkability? Well, the bottle tells you not to store it, and I'm happy to oblige...

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured chilled into my imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a light amber with a smallish white head. Very nice clarity. Head thins out fairly quickly. Nice lacing.

S: Initial smell reveals nice grapefruity hops, some pine as well. The malts are there, but the hope dominate the nose. Very nice.

T: Wow, the hops are right there in the front. Very similar taste to what I smell. The sweet malts are there just enough to balance things out, but the hops are the star of this show! Very tasty.

M: Very nice mouthfeel. Nice slick hoppy goodness. Proper level of carbonation, just right thickness.

D: This beer defines drinkability. Goes down so easily. Too bad this is my only one, but I will enjoy it thoroughly!

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Blind Pig, pours out beautifully. Cloudy lemon peel yellow body, with shades of orange highlights. Ample carbonation, head, and retention.

Aroma is very assertive, with notes of grapefruit, zesty lemon, and pine. Top notch aroma.

Wow, this beer is amazingly tasty.
Nice and zesty upfront. Notes of tangy sour grapefruit, zesty lemon, hints of orange, resinous pine, and perfumy florals.
All while pushed up against a solid bready malt backbone.

This is the epitome of perfection in a West Coast IPA. The hop profile is top notch, and the drinkability is off the charts.

Blind Pig just nails it.
A must try.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

I went to the local New Seasons market to buy Pliny the Elder and found the Blind Pig as an additional surprise. Hadn't seen this one in the stores here before, and gladly picked up a couple.

A pour into an oversized snifter yields a 1.5 finger bright white head that slowly fades into just a skim of white. Clear, light orange color. Nice lacing. A handsome beer- hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Very nice nose. Lots of hops, of course, but also floral aromas and a bit of toasted something or other. The hops smell fresh and inviting.

The first sip is a shock of piney hops, but after a couple of sips, the other flavors come out to play. Lots of citrus- tangy grapefruit, but also sweet orange and tangerine. A bit of bready malt backbone, and the hops stick around for a rather dryish and sticky finish. Quite a bit going on here, and I enjoyed it all.

For all those abrasive hop flavors, the mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth. What a well put-together beer. I am thoroughly enjoying this, and could definitely see drinking this as a session beer.

Overall impression: This is a damned fine beer, a nice representation of the style. Well worth the 4 bucks for a pint bottle.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks to 0110x0110 via SS08 for this one. Been waitin a long time. Bottled on date of 090508 so this one is super fresh.

Pours from the 500ml bottle into an imperial pint glass a fairly clear (I was sure to keep the sediment in the bottle on the first pour), golden orange color with a sizeable white head. The head is about two fingers and stiff, then decreases to one finger and becomes more compact and stiff like that of stiffened egg whites. Perfect!

Aroma is full of citrusy hops. I really dig the nose here. Some of the "IPAs" I have had recently were too malty but this one seems to be right up my alley. Grapefruit and orange peel with plenty of lemon and a touch of grass.

Very nice flavor indeed. The hop flavor hits the tongue immediately and is followed by a crisp hop bite. Very fruity hops; orange, lemon, grapefruit. A touch of sweetness in the backbone but the hops are the main attraction here. My only concern is the bit of metal in the aftertaste. Slightly solventlike as well.

Just about the perfect amount of bitterness. Finishes very dry and cleanses the palate. Good carbonation as well. Thin on the feel as well but that doesnt matter all that much here. An easy quaffer.

A wonderful brew. Thanks Matt for the chance to have this one.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

A - pours with golden color with light head.

S - fruit/floral aromas.

T - very malty with some hops. not as much hops as I was expecting.

M - just right. slightly syurpy, but still thin.

D - highly drinkable. good balance, but i would like more hop presence.

3.92/5  rDev -9.5%

Tap @ O'Brien's. Pours clear gold with a nice white head. Floral hop aroma, some pine, and just a little grapefruit. Sharp hop taste up front, resin flavors dominating the citrus, with a caramel back. Overall, a great IPA with strong hop flavors but with a light body.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Some of these reviews mad e me laugh and some made me cry - but on with the beer.

Served at about 40 degrees or so. Poured a light golden amber into my Harpoon .5L IPA glass. A huge head rises and slowly settles with tons of lace.

Aroma is strong toward the citrus with almost a floral sweetness - very nice considering it is 2 months old.

Hits the mouth quite smooth and then a roll of citrus sweet malts usher in the carbonation - which in turn, rolls the bitterness across the tongue. A silky dry and bitter finish leaves you wanting more for sure.

What a nice IPA. May not be as mind blowing as some claim - at least according to my taste buds - but quite a nice drinker and quite a good IPA.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 500ml bottle (bottled on 7/23/08) into a pint glass. It was a hazy golden color with a tinge of orange and tons of tiny yeast bits floating around. It had a carb fountain in the center and great lacing. It had a finger and a half of white head that slowly, slowly dissipated into a thick foam that was constantly fed by the carb. The bottle strongly encourages you to drink fresh and not let age. I checked a couple places and this was the freshest I could find in Denver during my trip so hopefully still a good example.

The aroma was excellent. Classic IPA aroma with strong citric and floral hops. Good balance as they were not too overpowering. Did open up the sinuses after a couple deep whiffs. The taste was also classic IPA. Starts out smooth with a really pleasing taste and then right at the end you get the hop hit. Again, well balanced and stays shy of a hop bomb which makes this one very drinkable. Not a session beer but I can definitely drink a whole one and still have use of my tongue at the end unlike some the hop bomb tongue shredders. Mouthfeel excellent with clean start, hop bite and then quick reset.

Overall, an excellent beer that I'm glad I finally got to try. Well worth the hype. Another great one from RRBC which is quickly becoming one of my favorite brewers. Highly recommend and it's worth the effort to get.

Earned a permanent spot on my wants list.

3.92/5  rDev -9.5%

A very good, citrusy IPA of the west coast variety. I enjoyed it very much. Appearance was golden, with moderate head and good retention. Smell was fantastic, like raw hops. Man I love that smell. Taste was slightly piney, and a little grapefruit. Mouthfeel was moderate, not super heavy or light. Drinkability was very good, I could drink 6 of these quite easily.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

My last bottle of Blind Pig. Thanks to Nanoslug for this one. 500ml bottle dated from July - I'd expect fresher to be even better. (I'll try to draw on my memory of the bottle I had a few months ago to supplement this review)

A - Murky amber color, almost like unfiltered apple juice. One finger of creamy white head that dissipates quickly into a nice bubbly lace. Still some carbonation that is quickly rising to the top.

S - There's still hop bitterness, even after all these months. Floral pine and citrus hints galore, and a healthy amount of malty sweetness. Smell is a 4 right now, but was a 4.5 when this was fresher. Not going to punish this brew for waiting to long on it (I was saving it to share with my brother-in-law).

T - Starts sweet - lots of citrus and light malt at the head. The bitterness comes in at the back of my palate and lingers in the aftertaste, but it's not overwhelmingly bitter. Very well balanced. I'm wondering if the on-tap version has greater complexity that has dissipated over the last few months.

M - Resiny, smooth, creamy, with the perfect density. It's refreshing but not watery. Carbonation complements the hop bitterness by tickling the palate.

D - I could drink it all day if I could find it. 6% is imperceptible, and I love the 500ml serving size.

I've gotta get this on tap at some point - while watcing a ballgame or something.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Much thanks to 0110x011 for this bottle! My first Blind Pig. I've been looking forward to this!

Pours a beautiful light honey like amber, with a nice foamy head that leaves thick lacing.
Smell is like someone shoved some fresh piney hop cones up your nose, just a hint of malt as the head fades towards the end.
Taste is a little more balanced although the beautiful piney hops flavor dominates hints of pale malts and grain. Flowery cannabis aftertaste.
Beautiful beer that lives up to its billing here as one of the best American IPAs. I'd drink it all the time if I could.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A delicious IPA! Very pleasant citrus and floral aroma. A nice lingering aftertaste, with hints of grapefruit and fresh hops. This beer really has everything I'm looking for in an IPA. The drinkability is insanely high. Blind Pig is amazingly tasty and refreshing, and would be easily chuggable. Fresh hops with a wonderfully smooth feel. It would be a regular beer for me, if only it was available where I live.

3.89/5  rDev -10.2%

I missed this while at Russian River last year. I've had the opportunity to have this in the bottle, and on tap at three different locations.
Appears a hazy light gold with a small white cap that slowly fades into a mild cap that never fades away. Spotty bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of super hop juice, citrus, grapefruit, pine, herbs, and black pepper.
Taste is a big drop off with the flavors. From the samples I've had, it just seems to be a bit watered down. It's a let down from getting excited with the kick-ass aromas to actually getting to taste it.
Mouthfeel is bitter, medium bodied, citrusy, with a bitter finish.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to Azurelimits for this great extra.

500ml brown bottle poured into a pint.

A: Pours a nice glowing golden orange with good clarity. 1 1/2 fingers worth of strong yet fluffy head forms and holds nicely. Decent lacing throughout.

S: Hops are very juicy, citrusy. Pleasant pine and resin that aren't astringent at all. Lightly toasted sweet malts balance out and have just a touch of nuttiness in the back.

T/M: Bitterness is at a very manageable level... perfect for this particular brew(kind of like Two Hearted and its bitterness). Hops are again very juicy and citrusy. The pine and resins are bumped up a bump and bring brisk twang to the tongue. Malts are sweet and lightly nutty to balance. Body is medium with pleasant carbonation. Finishes on the dry side with some lasting bitterness.

D: Very tasty and easily drinkable. 6% ABV is more than manageable.

I truly and with full honesty think this beer deserves a perfect score. This India Pale Ale has everything a true hophead would ever want in a beer. My favorite by far, and I've had a lot of IPAs.

It pours a hazy almost clear deep golden color. Has a creamy firm off white medium head that leaves great strong lacing.

The aroma is so pungent and complex with citrus, floral, and a little pine. Every kind of fresh citrus fruits you can imagine. It wofts through the whole bottle, and never fades. You don't even have to swirl the glass to get more hop aroma. It's strong throughout.

The flavor is the same as above. All the hops shine like they are one hop veriety, but they are many. The malt is barely detectable, but it's there of coarse. Just a little hint of sweetness. It has a very smooth and soft bitterness. I was told by a faithful soarse that RR only uses tones of late hop additions no "bittering hops", they must truly use a lot to get 70 IBUs with nothing but late additions.

Very drinkable at 6% abv. You can't detect any booziness. I could have 20 of these... just kidding. I wish I could. :)

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Sea foam froth, the color of wet straw, line of head around the edge, minimal carbonation visible in the beer - 4.25, S: Absolutely loaded with grapefruity and citrusy hops, though hops dominate the nose there is a nice solid malt build - 5.00, T: Heaps of hops from the beginning to the end of this beer, semi-dry and bitter, has elements of freshly cut grass and pine sap - 4.50, M: 4.00, D: An extremely solid representation of the style, hops play the main role and hence this is a beer every hophead should seek - 4.50

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Pours a crystal clear light golden color, with a huge neverending fluffy white head.

Smells of citrus and pine, tons of hops.

Flavor is an upfront piny bitterness, with notes of citrus in it, while not overdone there is very little malt to this, hops hops and yes more hops. medium high carbonation gives it a great feeling in the mouth.

Very easy to drink, leaves a nice bitterness in the mouth that lingers for a while.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

lynx1245 brought some goodies down for us. Thanks Trevor!

Appearance: Pours a pale gold with a pretty hefty amount of yeast sediment suspended inside. Thin, rocky, sticky white head doesn't hang around very long. Spotty lacing. EDIT: second bottle had better head and lacing than the first. Pretty impressive lacing actually.

Smell: Tons of pine and oily hop resin. Wow! Grapefruit everywhere. Caramel! Getting some earthy, herbal tones as well. Great aroma with plenty of balance.

Taste: What an awesome IPA. Reminds me a lot of Stone IPA, but with more balance. A good amount of oily hops, but not over the top. A lot of earthy tones inside. Feels... natural. Lots of caramel, butter and grapefruit as well. Just a really, really good IPA.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and very sticky. Low carbonation, but somewhat thin in terms of body. Slides right down.

Drinkability: Could drink 'em all day long. Light, fresh, and super smooth. Wish this was available in SLO.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Skourtis for the bottles of this fine nectar
500 ml bottle, Bottled on dating "093008" = FRESH. The label tells me "This beer does not get better with age! Please do not age me!" Not being one to go against the brewers wishes... This one pours lighter golden amber, slight haze, larger dark eggshell head, which shows better then average retention, nice puff/fluff, tons of outstanding, fine lace, vibrant floral hop nose. Simply great ale. Fresh hops in all their bittering/flavoring glory, sweet malts laying the under carpet down. Fine stuff, this would be a go to beer, if they distributed in my area....

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company