Blind Pig IPA | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,430 | Ratings: 5,681
3.97/5  rDev -8.3%

Found in at Clems bottle house in a 500ml bottled just 10 days after the bottling date, how is the for fresh AB. Poured into a tulip glass since no pints available. Poured with minimal off white head that did not stick around and had little to no lacing during drinking. Smell provided great floral herby notes right from the outset that struck around nicely. The taste was another solid ipa from Russian River, not over powering but a great hop character with good malt balance. Think I may like this as much as some of my favorite west coast brews for a warm summer day. Mouthfeel was full but not viscus with a clean finish.

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

The beer that started it all....for San Diego County. Originally brewed by Temecula Brewing this beer inspired Stone, Ballast, Alpine and all the others to start brewing. Thank you Vinnie!

A - Slightly hazy, golden to amber colour. Nice creamy head and lacing from both the tap and bottle.

S - More subtle hop tones smelling of ample dry hopping. Reminds me of a casked IPA even though its straight from the tap.

T - Wonderful citrus flavours with a well rounded malty base. Hops aren't quite as bitter as in Pliny, but well established.

M - Slightly thin vs. more "modern" IPA's from San Diego. Still retains an almost creamy, full feel with a little swishing.

D - Spectacular brew! Easy to drink IPA with plenty of hops for hopheads and a more moderate alcohol content then IIPAs. While hop flavours are more pronounced with warmth, mouthfeel does suffer a little. My only complaint on this, perhaps the archetypal CLASSIC West Coast IPA.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap, poured into pint glass

A- Yellow, amber hue. Nice short, frothy and white head with ample lacing. Fair amount of carbonation.

S- Fruits and grass. Reg grapefruit, orange zest, and other citrus tones. Some leaves, grass, and pine take the backbone. Small malt presence and alcohol hidden.

T- Well balanced between the fruits, leaves, and malts. Pretty juicy and the above mentioned fruits still come through, as well as a little bitterness from the grass and pine taste.

M- Light bodied. Crisp and refreshing and plenty of carbonation present. Slight dryness after going down.

O- Great IPA. I thoroughly enjoyed this IPA and will revisit it whenever the opportunity arrises. It might be just a bit overhyped. To be fair, I had this right after a pint of Pliny, which stole the show. Blind Pig was also very good though.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Very light yellowish orange. Very clear and took an agressive poor to get a couple of inches of head. Head did not stick around, but there was a thin film over the beer the entire time.

S- Very much floral hops. A very earthy smelling IPA.

T- Fairly balanced between the floral hops and tad bit of a citrus taste as well as a fine malt background. Very dry finish to this beer. The hops really stand out. Very clean tasting beer.

M- Oily and a bit thin, but leaves a nice coating of hoppy goodness on the tongue.

D- Low ABV and this one could definitely be sessionable. I'd love to have constant access to it.

Thanks to torchednoodle for the opportunity to try this one!

1.87/5  rDev -56.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

510 ml bottled on 082615. Exactly two weeks old.

L: Clear golden in color. Small head quickly settled before I even get a chance to instagram it :) very nice lancing. Beautiful appearance for sure.

S: Big fail. This one is not aromatic. If there's no date on the bottle I would assume this is pretty old. Very light citrus, light caramel and hint of pine.

T: bland, reminds me of an old english-style ipa. I can't believe the hype of this beer. There's a light spicy/herbal flavors that I can't describe but noting really unique.

M: unpleasantly dry aftertaste, very bitter, and very light. Extremely drinkable but not sticky or juicy. Very good carbonation however, I really enjoyed that part.

O: Maybe the most underwhelming drinking experience. Extremely overhyped beer. This is nothing close to a good ipa, definitely below average ipa.

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%

bottle courtesy of my favorite troll under the bridge, Patronwizard. Vic, talking to you reminds me to spend my donation in to the Special Olympics.

Now onto the review. Poured into my Hickory Crawdads pint glass, thanks Dwight

A. Golden straw color with a white head that fades quick but leaves a lacing down the glass the whole way through

S. Hops, mostly. Which is what I'd expect my IPA to smell like. Slight, slight malt smell but dominantly it smells like weed and we all know the smell of weed=hops.

T. Not as over the top bitterly hoppy as I was expecting. Grapefruit, orange and pine taste dominate with a slight grainy taste in there also

M. Good sticky mouthfeel with slight carbonation.

D. This one goes down smoother than Vic at a reunion concert for Wham! Good drinkability. Smooth. went great with the hot wings I destroyed last night.

Damn good brew. Best IPA I've ever had, Probably not. Would I drink again, Fuckin eh I would. Very solid brew all around

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to ipa247 for a pair of these. Tried one solo about a week ago and shared the other w/my brother last night. isn't that nice of me?!

bottled date shows 01.06.12. Awesome label. Picture reminds me of woodland’s bbq in blowing rock, NC -- shout out to my appState peoples.

500ML bottle poured into my new Belgium snifter.

Looks very west coast IPAish. light golden/orange color. Really nice 1.5 finger bright white head. Nice head retention. Very clear beer. Great lacing.

Awesome aroma. Pliny-esque... tropical fruits; citrus under-current. Little bit of sappy pinetree and malt too. Great balance. Spicey, earthy. Just a great smelling brew.

Super bitter. Lemon zest. Wet & juicey. Very sessionable, very clean, very refreshing. More citrus in the taste, grapefruity, apricot.

Really dry, crisp, clean finish. Nice carbonation. Good mouthfeel. Very light.

bottom line: Just fantastic – one of the best “regular” IPAs I’ve ever had. Russian River just does everything right. Great warm (or cold) weather IPA.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

Very light amber-yellow colored pour with a big fluffy head that evaporates rapidly. Heavy citrus aroma, mainly grapefruit and a little malt. Very dry, much more so than Pliny the Elder. Nearly as good as that beer though, another huge winner from Russian River.

4.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

In my opinion, this does not fall far behind PtE, and I'd consider this a great substitute if you're having trouble locating any Pliny. It's got that great west coast bitterness, loaded with hop aroma and taste, tropical fruit essence, and a dank mouthfeel.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Near perfect IPA. Balanced, great hops overlays solid malt without excess sweet or alcohol. I would drink this every day if it were available in the east.

It's always tough getting your hands on one of these being that i live in So Cal and this isnt distributed much in my area. I've found a bar in Alhambra that gets this on tap from time to time. Other then that when a friend brings me one of these when they go up north i owe them dinner! lol

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Much thanks to 0110x011 for this bottle! My first Blind Pig. I've been looking forward to this!

Pours a beautiful light honey like amber, with a nice foamy head that leaves thick lacing.
Smell is like someone shoved some fresh piney hop cones up your nose, just a hint of malt as the head fades towards the end.
Taste is a little more balanced although the beautiful piney hops flavor dominates hints of pale malts and grain. Flowery cannabis aftertaste.
Beautiful beer that lives up to its billing here as one of the best American IPAs. I'd drink it all the time if I could.

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%

I got this growler at Big Z's beverage in Huntington, LI. Who has recently won best distributor on Long Island. I got an email from mark who says its a "must try". The color is a hazy amber color. Little to no head, with excellent lacing. The aroma is like of a piny forest of hops. The flavor is sweet, with a huge hop kick. Flavor not bitter. It has a long mouthfeel where the hops hang out on the back of your throat and it pleads for another sip. I could sit and finish the keg. This is my first experience with russian river brewing company. I cannot wait to try any and all of their beers. Keep up the good work!!!

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

A- Pours a golden amber with a small head that dissipates to a thin layer that sticks around. Nice lacing is revealed as well.

S- Grapefruit/citric and sweeter tropical aromas dominate

T- Again tropical fruit and grapefruit, but the taste is a little more balanced than the aroma (from which I pretty much only got hoppy qualities) with some nice sweet malty backing. Bitterness shines through with increasing intensity, reaching its peak near the end.

M- Light to medium bodied, good carbonation.

D- Very drinkable, a good stepping stone to enjoying something like Pliny.

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottled on 12/11/09

Aroma: Citrus hop aroma up front with rich grapefruit rind. Crisp and bright, almost harsh hop aroma. Very little malt aroma.

Appearance: Light honey to a golden wheat with cloudiness suggesting the use of dry hopping. A thin white head blankets the beer with consistency. If you swirl the glass the foam will stick to the side but no lacing is present.

Flavor: Initially hits you with huge hop bitterness, a huge citrus bite right on the tongue. After that initial hop stab, the flavor fades out to almost nothing. The beer is surprisingly thin on malt character in the middle. The hop complexity of grapefruit, citrus and some pine are framed up very nicely, but there really isn't much to the malt to drive any sweetness into the mix. As pleasant as I find the hop character to be, you could call this beer unbalanced. There is a tendency to have a bit of a puckering effect, like the feeling of sucking on a hop leaf. The hop character comes off so bright and clean however, for a hop lover this is a real treat.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light with medium carbonation. Finishes clean except it has a puckering tannin effect. Back to chewing on that hop leaf with all the hop bitterness.

Overall: While Russian River considers the Blind Pig one of their standard IPA's, this would be a huge IPA for most breweries. I don't think I'm too far off the mark by saying for a great number of breweries in the country this would qualify as their Double IPA. The hop bitterness is extremely well defined and really does feel like you're drinking some liquid hops. If you're looking for a beer with excellent bitterness that doesn't mess around with subtle malt complexities, then this is your beer.

I'll admit some bias when drinking this beer because I know what a reputable brewery it comes from and how much I enjoy everything that Russian River puts out. If the Blind Pig was placed before me in an unmarked mason jar, I would probably tell you the beer was unbalanced and needed some biscuit malt complexity to back up all the grapefruit.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Many thanks to thimbledrome for this freshly bottled RR Blind Pig hand delivered from the source. It was bottled on 9th of July, 2008. Pours a very clear copper with nice puffy white head that slowly falls with nice lacing. The pig smells like piney hops and lot of them. A little grapefruit peaks through as well.

The first taste is a nice smack of hops and a malt backbone to carry that kind of bitterness. I would have to say that is one damn fine IPA. The perfect hop bite comes through to make this a beer for hopheads. The bitterness lingers through and hangs around in a very nice way. The mouthfeel is excellent for a 6.1% abv beer and I could drink this beer all night. Very drinkable and lives up to its hype.

I tried this on-tap at RR Brewery a couple of years ago, but was not as impressed as I am by the bottled version. All in all, I am amazed at the depth and complexity of such a low alcohol beer. It has the flavor to be a 7 to 8% beer.

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

500ml bottle

pours a light gold with a solid head. Nose is all citrus hops, this is definitely high on the hoppy spectrum for a single IPA. Taste is similar, with a very refreshing and dry finish. Not much balance to be had; the malts barely make themselves known through the amazing west-coast hops. Incredibly drinkable, if perhaps not quite as complex as its bigger brother Pliny. Still, this is a world class IPA by an incredible brewery that I wish I could drink on a daily basis!

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

On tap at Falling Rock. Written from notes 12/27.

A - rich amber, tons of lacing, head that keeps hanging around. A really inviting look.

S - cinnamon, lemon zest, earthy - really brings out that hop and forest element, but not overpowering. Swims up into your nostrils as you drink it.

T - tastes of the scent, in a very pure way. Pine, citrus, hint of spice and chili. Just enough bitterness to remind you its an ale. Top notch.

M - leaves a tremendous aftertaste. Great carbonation and drinkability.

O - close to perfect.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 500ml bottle - Beer is a nice copper to gold bright beer. Very nice color for an IPA. Bone white head

Aroma - fantastic, very earthy, hints of fresh cut grass, and orange peel, and a very slight backround of pine trees. Very rounded hop aroma

Taste - Solid, at 6.1% this is a huge hop flavor beer. Sweet hop flavors of orange and sage, what a wonderfully drinkable IPA.

Mouthfeel - could not be better in my opinion for an IPA, mild body, finishes dry, but its not thin. It makes this an extremely drinkable IPA

Drinkability - I would love to have another, but I live on the east coast....oh well. Great beer

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured chilled into my imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a light amber with a smallish white head. Very nice clarity. Head thins out fairly quickly. Nice lacing.

S: Initial smell reveals nice grapefruity hops, some pine as well. The malts are there, but the hope dominate the nose. Very nice.

T: Wow, the hops are right there in the front. Very similar taste to what I smell. The sweet malts are there just enough to balance things out, but the hops are the star of this show! Very tasty.

M: Very nice mouthfeel. Nice slick hoppy goodness. Proper level of carbonation, just right thickness.

D: This beer defines drinkability. Goes down so easily. Too bad this is my only one, but I will enjoy it thoroughly!

4.72/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: Nice, golden brown, with a nice solid cap. Some sediment floating in the glass.

S: Good hop scent, piney, citrusy, classsic.

T: Delicious, nice bitterness on the finish, Clean taste, hop dominated flavor, without all the sweetness.

M: Good carbonation, no complaints here, combined with a soft mouthfeel.

D: All day drinkability. Perfectly simple, clean and refreshing.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

on tap @ monk's in philly

Full pint pour gives a yellow-orange color (the lighting isn't the best in the front bar at night). Gives a one fingerish head which did hang for a little bit. Sticky lacing is all over the glass throughout.

Smells like west coast IPA to me! Citrus (grapefruits, a bit of lemon) and some pine coming though, even a bit of a floral mark. Malt? Sorry didn't find that one here.

HOPS. That is what i tasted. There was a moment when the malt tried to show up. Then more hops just smashed it out. Citrus. Pine. Big American Hops.

Carbonation is good for the style, enough to keep you wanting more, and not flat. The mouthfeel is not sticky like some IPA's end up being.

Was surprised to find this on tap at Monk's, but hey it was good for me! Looking forward to more of this... but i've not seen it in bottles around the NJ area, much less on tap!

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

This historic brew was poured into a pint glass from the 500 ml bottle. This was the beginning of a long night for me and for documenting purposes this was followed by a PtE.

A - A slighly merky orange with a two finger off-white head. Good sheets of lacing.
S - Citrus hops but not so much to knock you back.
T - Very good hop flavors with a good malt background for 6.1%
M - A little chewy for such a light IPA.
D - Off the charts, I wish I had this on tap.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Looks clear and hazy amber with two fingers of creamy white head. And might I add, a beautifully shaped bottle.

Aroma comes off as a pretty simple hop character. None off the overly citrusy characteristics. Taste is nice piney hops with a suttle back off malt. Mouthfeel is bottle-conditioned perfection.

This beer is elegant in its simlpicity. Hops meeting barley malt, and stealing its girlfriend, but being nice about it. Good beer.

3.96/5  rDev -8.5%

I had this on draft at the Toronado in a pint glass. I'm clearly going to be below the average rating on this review, but I'll admit that is mostly due to the fact that I'm not a tremendous lover of West Coast IPAs.

L: A clear golden orange with minimal head, and apparently low carbonation in general. It looks fine, for sure, but nothing really amazing at all.

A: The nose is where this beer shines, in my opinion. Fresh fresh fresh, with bitter zippy hops supported by a backbone of sweetness. Pine needles in clover honey.

T: The slightest malt backbone is overrun by bitter American hops, and finishes with a tiny bit of sweetness. The tiny finish leaves the tongue feeling clean, and the intense citrus and grapefruit flavors make the beer quite refreshing. It's a bit too bitter and dry for my palate, however.

M: Thinnish but perfectly adequate. It's not a syrupy IPA - but it's the west coast, it's to be expected. A nice carbonation level makes it not thin enough to be bad, but I'd prefer a bit more body.

D: High - perhaps too high. It has a great quenching ability - almost a session beer but the high bitterness would wear you out quickly.

I think I prefer Blind Pig to Pliny, actually, but both are still a bit on the dry/bitter end for me. It's clearly well-made and worth having at least a few times in your life.

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company