Blind Pig IPA | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Ratings: 5,772 |  Reviews: 1,448
3.67/5  rDev -15.2%

S - Earthy, grapefruity when it sits, some fruity notes right after pouring or swirling... Peaches possibly?

A - Golden with a white head, it actually looks like an American light lager

T - Pine, grapefruit, metal up front, then pine, then bitter.

M - Low medium body, somewhat bitter-puckery

O - Damn good all around, very standard IPA, but not incredibly exciting.

4.72/5  rDev +9%

Pours a straw colored gold in color. About half a inch of head develops on the pour. Smell is very citrusy and juicy. Wonderful. Taste is even more citrusy and juicy hops than appear in the nose. Light, bitter, but exploding with juciness. I love this. It's an overused expression, but, I could drink this all day long and never tire of it. I might even go out on a limb and say that I'm enjoying this more then the PtE. Would love to have this around regularly.
Many thanks to golubj for sending me this bottle.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Nice big head with excellent retention with a cloudy orange color.

Huge grapefruit flavor, citrusy, resiny, a bunch of hop varieties seem to be used in this one.

Taste is of a huge hop profile. Grapefruit, resiny, citrusy, spiciness comes through. Malt backbone only provides body and balance for the beer.

The mouthfeel is crisp and dry. It maintains a slight amount of astringency.

Go drink this beer, stop reading my review.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

3.89/5  rDev -10.2%

Bottled on Date 12.11.09
Pours a clear light straw color with a small white head. Aroma is over the top great with citrus pine and grapefruit - a very delicious smelling brew. The taste doesnt quite live up to the smell , but I still think this is a good IPA. Mouthfeel on this one is slightly lighter than what I remember of PTE, but not watery.

I like an IPA a litter sweeter than this one - it has a dry finish and an a bitterness that I enjoy with some additional sweetness.

Medium to light carbonation . Drinkability is medium for me

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a bright peachy golden with two inches of nice thick, white, fluffy head. Great pour, very similar to PTE.

Smell is fresh citrusy hop-goodness. Its also got a bit a fresh cut grassy sort of smell but overall its lots of grapefruit and fresh west coast hops. Nice and piney.

Taste is a quick bitter smack to your senses that is followed by a bit of malt sweetness but not as much balance as PTE. Its definitely a good IPA but it lacks the balance of some of the bigger combatants. If you are a fan of hop bitterness and tongue drying IBUs this is the one for you.

Its not that I don't like it, cuz I do. I just was expecting a little more balance which would have made it incredible.

Definitely worth a shot but I wish I'd brought back two Pliny the Elders instead of one of each.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

Even though this has likely been around longer (assuming this is pretty close to the original homebrew recipe), I can't help but compare this to the Odell IPA I'm so familiar with. Honestly, they're VERY similar, which is actually a great thing. I personally think the Odell IPA is the best one in the country and this brew is nearly identical. Perhaps great minds think alike?
Light copper color with a head that laces like few others can.
Grapefruit, floral overtones, even a hint of spearmint.
Everything goes down painfully easy, and I love the slightly larger bottle as it's just the right size.
No doubt about it - this is great.
I had this with a Mediterranean-style pizza with feta and olives and this worked amazingly well. It's actually a pairing I'd revisit.
Anyway, if you can get this in your area, you should buy it.
It's at the very least tied for my favorite IPA.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass. HUGE thanks to KevSal for this one! Bottled 9-30-11

A: Medium straw yellow and amazing clarity. One finger white head with awesome retention and sticky lacing.

S: An awesome blend of citrus hops. Pineapple upfront and grapefruit, orange peel, tangerine, light lemon and mango. Touches of sweet caramel come through.

T: Sweet caramel up front. Very nice merge into the hoppy citrus bitterness. Again pineapple is upfront mellowing the grapefruit acidity. Lots of orange peel zest, and some light lemon. The caramel stays right there through out but is taking a backseat to the hops.

M: Medium light bodied. Medium high carbonation. Super crisp and finishes very dry. Nice lingering citrus flavors.

O: What a choice. Just had a Sculpin the other day. This is right there for my favorite IPA. Almost a Pliny but a tad less balanced with hoppy bitterness standing out a bit more. Amazing IPA.

4.56/5  rDev +5.3%

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%

damn, george, this is gonna be a great m-f- week!

very light beer in appearance, yellow with golden orange tunnel down the center.. lots of bubbling activity. with force, this beer created itself a nice creamy head that sank fast to an all-covering cream topper. solid lacing.

big malty odor, reminiscent of candy apples. fruity, acidic hops smell fresh from the hop sacks.. shining with the beer equivalent of new car smell. inviting nose.

the body on this beer is a bit bigger than i expected for 6%, and the bitterness plays into the beers kong-like stature. the bitterness and piney hop resins first.. the bitter lingers a bit longer as a physical sensation on the tongue but disappears soon after begging another sip. and sip you will, as this beer is not the refreshing chugger of an ipa that most six-percenters are. very floral, very fruity in a red, seeded fashion. something about this beer also brings clean laundry to mind. just very neat and well-executed.

this is the first r.r. ipa i've had the pleasure to enjoy, and i hope im not blowing my load on the first date... but i think this stuff is just amazing. carefully just shy of being west coast overdone but still unique enough to be notable. thanks again, g.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really liked this beer and it certainly lived up to the hype. I am not one of the people who thinks this beer is better than Pliny, but this was still an awesome beer.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

It pours a slightly hazy orange amber, bright and seemingly backlit. A finger of meringue white head swells and settles in a cycle that runs apace. Swells of lacing wave along the inside of the glass.

The aroma is an homage to edgy dry citrus hops, lightly floral, genuinely spicy, and as crisp as a freshly starched dress shirt. Not to mention, a draft of pine washes in, like a breath from a damp forest. Underneath lingers a sweet malt presence that speaks of caramel and berries, and even a touch of melon.

Upon sipping, the hops make a mockery of any pretension of balance, but oh, are they joyous tilting that scale, with dry, biting grapefruit, freshly sliced from the rind, and a more distant tingle of lemon zest and mandarin orange. And pine again rides behind, with a needle of coniferous spiciness. The malt, while well subjugated, is nonetheless a good soldier, marching in a lightly sweet caramel identity that also hints at a tree-borne fruitiness. The malt goes softly biscuit as the hops divert the flow toward a crisp, clear dryness that offers up a distinctive, impressive bitterness. It may not be balanced, by my is it wonderfully complex in its interplay between hops and malt.

Between light and medium bodied, the malt is almost instantly undone by the scorched-earth bitterness of the hops.

Maybe the location and company influence my new-found love affair with this nectar, but I don't care, I love it, and I'm not going to question my feelings! As good as it smelled, I had no idea the flavor would come across as exceptional as it did. In fact, this beer would be, far and away, my top session IPA were it not so freaking rare in my area. It's so clean that having another is an animal instinct. I almost never have two of the same when I'm at Monk's, but this specimen became one of the rare exceptions. Should I ever get near this again, I really doubt I'll drink anything but Blind Pig. Until it's gone, or I'm gone.

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Epitome of a West Coast IPA for me, it's hoppy, dry, bitter, but nothing out of proportion, instead everything obviously executed to a precise calculation. And it deserves an extra tip of the hat for extracting such great hop flavor out of a relatively (compared to today's IPAs) small 6.1% ABV. Pliny is great, but this isn't far behind.

(Edit: Just happened upon a fresh pint. My God, that nose. Clear as a whistle, crisp, bright citrus, like pungent, tangy tangerine + the lightest touch of pine. Palate is grapefruit bitter. West Coast to a tee. Prob not for those who like the kinder, gentler IPAs, but hot damn is it a fine drink for this reviewer).

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I stopped by Russian River last weekend while I was out in the Sonoma valley for a wedding. During the 45 minute wait, I decided to get a Blind Pig and Pliny.

Blind Pig was very unassuming looking actually. Kind of like a standard looking IPA. a basic pale gold tint and a bit sticky looking. Not much lace. I guess I was expecting the second coming after hyping my trip to Russian River so much.

Then the aroma hits. Its just fresh hops right to your nose. Very good. Extreme amounts of grapefruit and grass in the nose. Even a bit of something flowery. The best part of the beer.

The taste did not live up to the nose but it was still really good. Again, fresh west coast hops with strong citrus bitterness. The hops linger and are a bit dry.

This beer was great in the nose and the first few sips of the beer. Then it became cloying and dried my tongue out. Pretty decent overall, but I couldn't have a second. That being said, for a thin big hopped IPA, it was quite satisfying. That nose was great and drinking it extremely fresh on tap at RR made it that much better

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Into a pint glass.

A: The pour produces thousands of tiny, little bubbles that rush furiously to the top of my glass leaving behind a rather complacent, innactive looking brew. That was interesting. An average size stark white, foamy head forms and has decent retention. The color of the body is equal parts yellow, orange and amber. Very appealing. A light haziness can be seen in an otherwise pretty clean looking brew.

S & T: Aromas of biscuits, grain, bread and a light caramel combine to make up the malt character, which is just substantial enough to hold up to the incoming hop attack. Huge citrus qualities of grapefruit & orange, big floral notes and a very light pine presence. Light sweet notes from the honey come through, as well as the additional fruits of peach, clementine and pineapple. The hops are harshly bittering on the tongue and even moreso on the finish.

M: Medium fullness to the body. Prickly and fizzy carbonation. The Blind Pig lost a few points on the finish for having an out of scale (very isolated) bitterness. Could have definitely handled another percent in the ABV.

D: Drinkability is above average. I find that the finish is somewhat hindering in this department. The first glass was delicious, the second, very good, the third, good, etc. A really drinkable beer should be very palatable and also get better from one glass to the next in my opinion. Also, I prefer this one a little colder than usual to keep the bitterness in check.

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company