Blind Pig IPA | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,419 | Ratings: 5,652
4.2/5  rDev -3%

Not being a IPA drinker, this was a nice mellow IPA. When poured, the color was a slightly hazy medium golden yellow with a orange hue. The smell of piney aroma filled the nose. The taste of priney resins and citrus, like grapefruit, orange and a hint of lime hit the taste buds. This IPA is one of the better ales that doesn't have that heavy bitterness or super tart feel in the mouth or on the palate. Just a nice pleasant, rich taste. Another great beer from Russian River Brewing!

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

When brewing at home you always have an idea about how you want a batch to turn out. I now know that until I get close to reaching the level of this beer. I know I will never be happy!

This is one of the finest IPA's on earth. The aroma alone it reason enough to buy it. It is truely a exceptional IPA. With notes of zesty citurs and vanilla. It is perfectly balanced. It pours giving you a wonderful aroma. Drinking is heaven.

A+

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Mucho thanks to JWD for this bottle.

Poured from the bottle a cloudy apple juice color with a small but foamy white head. The head left a lot of healthy lacing down the glass.

An earthy and hoppy aroma of grapefruit, pineapple, pine resin, and flowers.

A big, bitter hoppy punch of grapefruit, pineapple and pine balanced with a bit of caramel malts. The bitterness lingers thru to the finish but does not distract from the experience.

Light-to-medium bodied, slick and crisp, with a moderate carbonation.

Nt quite in the same category as Pliny, but very easy to drink and enjoy.

4.11/5  rDev -5.1%

500 ml bottle I got from Douglas14. Thanks a lot again, man. Served up in an imperial pint.

A: Pours a really nice, honey yellow/brown color. Held to the light you get a lot of clean, yellow color. It has a slight haze to it. The pour yielded about a finger of, fluffy, foamy, white head. The head has pretty nice retention and has a ton of stickiness to it. Carbonation has a shitload of activity in this beer. Lots of carbonation bubbles sticking to the side of the glass. Really good looking IPA.

S: Man, you can really smell the hops. Just a ton of grapefruit and citrus aromas from the hops. The only thing coming out is the hops though. The presence is nice but not very complex.

T: Taste is actually really damned good. The hops are big and heavy with grapefruit, slight piney goodness and citrus. The hops has a really nice initial bite, but that is cut quickly by a good amount of bready malt. The malt is sweet and really balances this beer nicely with what tastes a bit like some honey sugary goodness. You get some nice pineapple flavors coming through in the sweetness. Slight bit of peppery spice in here as well. It really doesn't have any thing too crazy going for it, but the balance is damned near perfect.

M: Medium in body this beer does have a touch more wateriness to it than expected. Carbonation level is hign, and it goes down pretty easy and it is damned refreshing. ABV is very light and nice in the feel. Aftertaste is mostly of some good hops flavor.

D: This brew is highly drinkable and very nice. It is incredibly well balanced and damned tasty. Its not the most mind blowing IPA, but the balance is the incredible part of the brew. This really is an easily chuggable IPA. Nice for sure. She may not be the chick at the bar with largest rack, but she has curves in all the right places and, best of all, she was an easy close.

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%

Received a bottle from bbothen in my first beer trade. 24oz. brown bottle with a Burnt Sienna label featuring the "Blind Pig" logo and text written in Comic Sans typeface.

Pours a pale golden yellow and an awesome three-fingered fluffy white head and some chunky lacing.

I haven't had a Russian River beer since I left San Diego 3 years ago. One whiff of this brew and I am instantly transported to O'Brien's pub where I'd drink Pliny regularly.

Huge hop aroma, musty, pungent blue cheese, some citrus but mostly pine needles and cat piss.

Medium bodies with a creamy mouthfeel and slick texture.

Light, pale malt sweetness up front but lets face it, this beer s a hop grenade! Tons of lush, citrus hop flavor, herbal and grassy as all hell. Really it's ridiculous how mush hop aroma and flavor is crammed into this bottle. The brew finishes extremely piny with a dry bitterness like fresh unsweetened grapefruit. Despite huge amount of hops this beer is extremely drinkable, crisp, and quite frankly thirst quenching.

Awesome IPA, if I could get this beer regularly its all I would drink! Breweries on the East Coast need to take note and start brewing IPAs like this. Big thanks to bbothen for the trade!

Cheers!

4.41/5  rDev +1.8%

Had this on tap many times and i'm finally ready to review this IPA. Served in a 15oz stemmed glass at Union Jacks.

A- RR Blind pig looks like a bold ipa with a mix of orange and gold colors with a slight haze to it. A medium sized off white head that faded very quick leaving patches of lace around the glass. I've noticed that RR IPA offerings don't produce much head bottle or draft.

S- I could smell this for days, it's just that inviting. A very pungent punch of different hop styles giving of a lot of citrus grapefruit scents. Some lemon scents and possibly some orange intertwined. Also a lot of piney and resiny tones come forth. Some illegal weed scents come to mind. Some malts present but can't break through the hop amounts.

T- The first sip i was in hop heaven as they took control. Blind pig is very bitter with not only hops but the pine is quite strong also. I get some more earthy qualities as this pig warms. few sips to detect the trace amount of malt that is there. Not the most balanced IPA out there, but still tasty.

M- A good amount of carbonation and a medium body give this a great mouthfeel, although others in my party disagreed. A bit on the thick side for an IPA while the resin and oily factors are strong also. The bittering effects are quite felt in the mouth after a few sips. Aftertaste stayed with me for a long while.

D- Blind Pig is quite drinkable but truth be told i enjoyed the nose the most, as i smelled it for 10 minutes before taking the 1st plunge. I prefer to drink this while eating something to tame the pig at times. The abv is low leaving this a session candidate but i would not go over two bottles or pints in a sitting.

RR can do no wrong in my eyes, i'm glad i live in SEPA!!

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%

I got this growler at Big Z's beverage in Huntington, LI. Who has recently won best distributor on Long Island. I got an email from mark who says its a "must try". The color is a hazy amber color. Little to no head, with excellent lacing. The aroma is like of a piny forest of hops. The flavor is sweet, with a huge hop kick. Flavor not bitter. It has a long mouthfeel where the hops hang out on the back of your throat and it pleads for another sip. I could sit and finish the keg. This is my first experience with russian river brewing company. I cannot wait to try any and all of their beers. Keep up the good work!!!

4.33/5  rDev 0%

I got this on the growler fill at Big Z - an excellent find in NY! Poured it into one of those Sam Adams bubble glasses, which do not hold a full pint. Maybe it's 13 oz. - I'm not sure.

The look is sort of amber and very pleasant. I've had it bottled, and the appearance was similar, but for whatever reason it looked much more appealing out of a keg.

The smell is also very nice, certainly not overpowering and there are some subtle fruity and flowery elements that soften it considerably. I poured it gently and it had a nice head on it, and actually retained it for a while.

It's one of the most easiest-to-drink IPAs that I've had. It's certainly not too hoppy; actually the hops compliment well some of the gentler flavors like citrus (grapefruit!?). I also agree with the idea that this is pine-y too, which I like. It's a very crisp and happy beer. The alcohol level, which is substantial but not huge at 6.1%, does not overpower, and ultimately the whole thing is just very balanced. I guess that's why it got such good reviews.

I like it, and I will go back for more of it while it lasts.

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottle, thanks to swnicholson, full pour into a Weizen glass.

A-A beautiful light orange, almost yellow color with minimal head. A little haze to it.

S-I am quite sure that I smell Orange in there, amongst other citrus smells, along with a slight piney smell, but not quite as overwhelming as The Elder. It is a really nice, pleasing bouquet.

T-Very citrusy taste, pineapple, orange and still a bit of that Christmas tree pine taste.

M-Very smooth AIPA, with just enough bitter in it to let you know that you are still drinking an AIPA.

D-Very drinkable @ 6.0 ABV, little too high to be called a session beer but I could imagine drinking these for awhile.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Very light yellowish orange. Very clear and took an agressive poor to get a couple of inches of head. Head did not stick around, but there was a thin film over the beer the entire time.

S- Very much floral hops. A very earthy smelling IPA.

T- Fairly balanced between the floral hops and tad bit of a citrus taste as well as a fine malt background. Very dry finish to this beer. The hops really stand out. Very clean tasting beer.

M- Oily and a bit thin, but leaves a nice coating of hoppy goodness on the tongue.

D- Low ABV and this one could definitely be sessionable. I'd love to have constant access to it.

Thanks to torchednoodle for the opportunity to try this one!

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

My first sampling of this from a bottle. Poured into a pint glass. It's pretty fresh too.

Looks great, perhaps lighter in color than many IPAs but it's a beautiful yellow orange shade of sunset. I had to pour fairly quick to attain a 2 finger width prickly bright white head. Looks fluffy and pillowy. The retention was moderate and left a thin layer on top all the way through. Moderate lacing as well, not quite spiderweb.

Smells like a forest of pine trees, Blind Pig air freshner anyone? I also pick up hints of orange rind and citrus fruits with a background smell of indescript flowers.

Wakes up the senses on first taste. It's a bit of a shock to the tongue and makes everything tingle. There's so much pine here it's fairly ridiculous, but that's just how I like it. It's actually pretty difficult to taste any of the malt. I get faint caramel as it warms. The pine flavor of the hops is accentuated by a nice orangy citrus tone.

Feels superb in the mouth. The tingling from the hops feels nice and the carbonation is just right.

I don't think I'd ever session this stuff because it's so intense, but sipping on a pint is divine. Also, no alcohol is detected behind such a potent hop bill. Great stuff.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not surprised that Russian River has made this wonderful IPA. I was given a sample of this beer at Beachwood BBQ and not told what it was.

I was very impressed with the sweet hop aroma and the great hop flavor. I could also smell and taste a heavy grapefruit flavor. There is just enough malt in the background to balance it just a tad without removing the bittery bite needed in an IPA.

This is definately drinkable!

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Picked this one up in LA about two weeks ago and brought it back home with me. Bottle date within 60 days of drinking. Poured into my Duvel tulip. Really nice looking IPA. Big white head, crisp clear light orange/gold, with tons of lacing. Smells of pine, grapefruit, lemon, and a hit of malty sweetness in the back. Flavor follows the nose, and this one is super delicious. It's nicely hopped, but the balance between the pale malts and hops is really remarkable. Very clean, crisp, on the lighter side of medium bodied. Super easy drinking. If this were readily available around me, it would be my go-to IPA. Alas, it is not, but I am really glad I tried it. Will try to get it again.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

This is a wonderful beer. I'd like to do a side by side comparison with its brother, Pliny the Elder.

The bottle was dated Nov 19, a 60 day old beer. I believe it has been kept under refrigeration for the entire time. BTW, I love these half liter bottles. 12 oz leaves me wanting more, but 22oz is often a tad more than I really want.

The appearance was very clear golden orange. I thought the beer was filtered until my second pour, when a tiny amount of yeast floated out of the bottom of the bottle. Kudos to the brewers for such a clear beer with some residual yeast.

The smell was all about the finishing hops. I haven't brewed in over a decade, but I think I detected some Columbus hops in the mix, or maybe a small amount of Chinook. In any case, it was a complex set of hops with a distinct pineapple aroma.

A strong bittering hop was the dominant taste characteristic. I like my IPAs to have a bigger malt profile, but I had to look for that malt sweetness. The bittering hops lasted well past the swallow. I bet this would be very thirst quenching on a hot summer day.

Over all, a very good California style IPA.

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

This bottle of Blind Pig was dated on 9/30/08 and drank 1/17/09. Many strident pleadings on the label to not age the beer and drink fresh.

Very pretty clear orange and gold colored, with a respectable head that faded fairly quickly but left a good amount of lace.

Lots of aromas, right upon cracking the cap. Very pungent, sweet and sappy hops. Pineapple, mandarin oranges and a bitter herbs, maybe kind of a citrus tea all mingling with huge intensity. Just a tiny bit of toasted malt, but that might just be my imagination.

Pineapple, oranges, and semi-bitter tea dominate flavors like the aromas do. Maybe not quite at the same intensity level as the aromas, or its bigger brother Pliny the Elder, but an excellent example of a hop-forward IPA without trying to be a DIPA.

The same goes for the feel, at first I was surprised at the medium-light body, but well compliments the flavors without trying to be something that it's not. I was tempted to notch my score down a bit for being almost watery, but I'm appreciating the mouthfeel more as I think about it.

Wow, what a treat of a beer. It's even pretty affordable for a world-class IPA. If the hops weren't so complex and delicious, I would accuse this beer of being one-dimensional. But I wouldn't want it to change. Thanks RR!

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%

bottle courtesy of my favorite troll under the bridge, Patronwizard. Vic, talking to you reminds me to spend my donation in to the Special Olympics.

Now onto the review. Poured into my Hickory Crawdads pint glass, thanks Dwight

A. Golden straw color with a white head that fades quick but leaves a lacing down the glass the whole way through

S. Hops, mostly. Which is what I'd expect my IPA to smell like. Slight, slight malt smell but dominantly it smells like weed and we all know the smell of weed=hops.

T. Not as over the top bitterly hoppy as I was expecting. Grapefruit, orange and pine taste dominate with a slight grainy taste in there also

M. Good sticky mouthfeel with slight carbonation.

D. This one goes down smoother than Vic at a reunion concert for Wham! Good drinkability. Smooth. went great with the hot wings I destroyed last night.

Damn good brew. Best IPA I've ever had, Probably not. Would I drink again, Fuckin eh I would. Very solid brew all around

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had this a few times now, I guess it's time to review it. Received in a few different trades thanks to MiScusi and swnicholson. Thanks!

Most recently, Half liter bottle (7/09/08) into a Bruery-Branded Tulip. Beautiful golden caramel color, the glass helps to form a one inch off white head that leaves a thick abundance of lacing.

This holds up over time a lot better than Pliny, but still almost 6 months down the road has shown some deterioration. Fresher bottles I have had were nothing short of amazing- this one is still surprisingly vibrant in the nose.

Great citrus, pineapple all over the place in the aroma. I can't stop wanting to smell this beer.

Bitter enough to get my IPA fix, but more importantly bitter enough so that my friends won't raid my stash. Great stickiness about the hop flavor that coats your tongue. A slight background of a sweetness from the caramel malt really lets the hop flavor shine rather than an overbearing straight forward bitterness.

I could drink this all day if I had regular access to it. I suppose my bias is toward sessioning IPAs but this one goes down the hatch easy. For me, it's a catch 22- I don't have regular access to it, so I want to savor it when I get the chance, but it goes down so smooth!

Bottle: Poured a clear golden color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of citrus and floral hops are clearly dominating with some notes of bitter hops are also clearly identifiable. Taste is also dominated by a complex and well built hop profile which provide a very good and complex mix between some citrus and bitter notes. Malt profile is kept very low in the mix but can still be felt. Full body with great carbonation. Quite a handful though and not your typical session IPA.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this while visiting San Diego last October. This poured a light amber color with a medium sized but full off-whiite head and very nice walls of lace. The aroma is strictly IBU's, the classic cat piss loveliness if you are so inclined. A modicum of low lying malt. The flavor tells you drink me! The piss and vinegar is still there but it is beautifully mellowed with a sweet melon and apple accent over a very mild malt base. This really becomes highly drinkable after the first few swallows. The bitter hops have their way and it's quite respectable. Great choice, try it quick!

3.52/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 500 ml. bottle of the Blind Pig to settle a few arguments I've had. Not having been overly impressed with the draft version, I thought I'd remove one last layer of contention by going the bottle route. At $4.19 for 500ml this is somewhat expensive by San Diego standards, as I could get a 22 oz. of Alesmith IPA for the same price for example And next time, believe me, I will. Oops, did I say that out loud? Bottled on 11/19/2008.

Into a pint glass this beer pours on the golden side of straw with a half inch head. Retention is brief, settling to a surface cap and then the glassy reflection of Mission Bay well after sunset or underneath a pea soup fog.

Moderate hops on the nose with just a touch of sweetness. Some hops and malts on the tongue with a medium carbonation. Nice moderate bitterness on the close. This beer is very drinkable for it doesn't offend, yet often, those that don't offend don't excite either.

Like the tap, the bottle just runs out of steam in the end. At $8 or even $10 a six-pack I would recommend this beer to newbies, but given the price point of this beer I can't in good conscience recommend it at all. This is a light IPA similar to, yet preferred within context, to Harpoon's offering. Not a hophead brew by any means.

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%

hazy golden color with very low carbonation. thin white foamy head which settles pretty quickly to a lace leaving a trail right down to the end of the glass.

seriously hoppy aroma. intense citrus and floral character. zesty even. and fresh.

man that is bitter. bitter. bitter. bitter. yes, it tastes that bitter. to the point that it just punishes any other flavor compontent so any hop flavor or, god forbid, malt gets a notice.
no doubt it tastes great, but a bit less bitterness would really help (dare i say) balance this out. the finish is nice and dry too, right where i like it.

its just crazy how hoppy this beer is. the aroma and bitterness take over and except for perhaps the hop flavor being overwhelmed suits the style just fine.

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottled on 11/19/08, purchased online from South Bay Drugs

A- Very light gold, almost straw-colored, with a decent head and tons of lacing.

S- Hops, mostly. That, and hops. Seriously, though, there is a touch of sweet malt in there, but it is overwhelmed by the hops. There's just tons of citrus and pine in this near-perfect IPA smell.

T- Starts out with a nice orange rind character before a pine sap bitterness comes in. The malt is almost nonexistant; in fact, I can't pick up any specific malty flavors at all. Not that I mind. Finishes quite bitter with my tongue feeling like it's been coated in hop oils.

M- Has a nice medium body with a fairly low level of carbonation. Goes down very smoothly.

D- This is a quaffer for me. I could certainly have multiple pints of it in a sitting.

This is a very solid IPA from Russian River. I don't know if it's the best I've ever had, but it's certainly up there. If I could get it around here I could see it being a regular for me. As it is, I won't pay to have it shipped here from California, but I'm happy to have tried it. Recommended for any IPA fan.

3.4/5  rDev -21.5%

pours a surprisingly vibrant and bright coppery lemon color with a immense frothy head. great retention and lacing.
could smell the hops coming from the glass while it was still on the table. very floral and citrus notes up front.
taste is pure hops. pine and resin flavors up front, with an appealing grassy/earthy type of finish. not much in the way of malt at all.
mouthfeel is nice, a medium body with very lively carbonation, very enjoyable.
overall a very solid IPA, worth trying if you can find it, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

Cool label reminds you repeatedly not to age this beer. Mine says bottled on 7/9/08. I bought it in December and drank it today (1/9/09). So it has been around for a little while but not too long.

Pours slighly hazy, creamy yellow color with thick bubbly head that is nearly pure pure white, leaving spotty lace up the glass.

Strong lemon-citrus hop aroma with a good malt base and a hint of banana.

Excellent fresh bitter iniitial flavor with definite citrus leads to a wandering, perfectly bitter aftertaste. Very hoppy. Very good.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, crisp, and dry. Perfect.

This is a great IPA. Distinct, bitter, but not at all cloying. The malt is solid, but not sweet. Not at all heavy. Very refreshing, and great for a hophead. Nice work.

4.44/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer was served in a Chimay chalice glass. Golden yellor color with not much head, but some lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma was full of fresh hops. The flavor matches the aroma. It is very hoppt. A perfect beer for hopheads. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, cleansing the palate with all the hop bitterness. This is very drinkable, but if your not a fan of hops, stay away from this beer and leave it for those of us that like over the top brews.

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company