Blind Pig IPA | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,426 | Ratings: 5,667
4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this while visiting San Diego last October. This poured a light amber color with a medium sized but full off-whiite head and very nice walls of lace. The aroma is strictly IBU's, the classic cat piss loveliness if you are so inclined. A modicum of low lying malt. The flavor tells you drink me! The piss and vinegar is still there but it is beautifully mellowed with a sweet melon and apple accent over a very mild malt base. This really becomes highly drinkable after the first few swallows. The bitter hops have their way and it's quite respectable. Great choice, try it quick!

3.52/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 500 ml. bottle of the Blind Pig to settle a few arguments I've had. Not having been overly impressed with the draft version, I thought I'd remove one last layer of contention by going the bottle route. At $4.19 for 500ml this is somewhat expensive by San Diego standards, as I could get a 22 oz. of Alesmith IPA for the same price for example And next time, believe me, I will. Oops, did I say that out loud? Bottled on 11/19/2008.

Into a pint glass this beer pours on the golden side of straw with a half inch head. Retention is brief, settling to a surface cap and then the glassy reflection of Mission Bay well after sunset or underneath a pea soup fog.

Moderate hops on the nose with just a touch of sweetness. Some hops and malts on the tongue with a medium carbonation. Nice moderate bitterness on the close. This beer is very drinkable for it doesn't offend, yet often, those that don't offend don't excite either.

Like the tap, the bottle just runs out of steam in the end. At $8 or even $10 a six-pack I would recommend this beer to newbies, but given the price point of this beer I can't in good conscience recommend it at all. This is a light IPA similar to, yet preferred within context, to Harpoon's offering. Not a hophead brew by any means.

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%

hazy golden color with very low carbonation. thin white foamy head which settles pretty quickly to a lace leaving a trail right down to the end of the glass.

seriously hoppy aroma. intense citrus and floral character. zesty even. and fresh.

man that is bitter. bitter. bitter. bitter. yes, it tastes that bitter. to the point that it just punishes any other flavor compontent so any hop flavor or, god forbid, malt gets a notice.
no doubt it tastes great, but a bit less bitterness would really help (dare i say) balance this out. the finish is nice and dry too, right where i like it.

its just crazy how hoppy this beer is. the aroma and bitterness take over and except for perhaps the hop flavor being overwhelmed suits the style just fine.

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottled on 11/19/08, purchased online from South Bay Drugs

A- Very light gold, almost straw-colored, with a decent head and tons of lacing.

S- Hops, mostly. That, and hops. Seriously, though, there is a touch of sweet malt in there, but it is overwhelmed by the hops. There's just tons of citrus and pine in this near-perfect IPA smell.

T- Starts out with a nice orange rind character before a pine sap bitterness comes in. The malt is almost nonexistant; in fact, I can't pick up any specific malty flavors at all. Not that I mind. Finishes quite bitter with my tongue feeling like it's been coated in hop oils.

M- Has a nice medium body with a fairly low level of carbonation. Goes down very smoothly.

D- This is a quaffer for me. I could certainly have multiple pints of it in a sitting.

This is a very solid IPA from Russian River. I don't know if it's the best I've ever had, but it's certainly up there. If I could get it around here I could see it being a regular for me. As it is, I won't pay to have it shipped here from California, but I'm happy to have tried it. Recommended for any IPA fan.

3.4/5  rDev -21.5%

pours a surprisingly vibrant and bright coppery lemon color with a immense frothy head. great retention and lacing.
could smell the hops coming from the glass while it was still on the table. very floral and citrus notes up front.
taste is pure hops. pine and resin flavors up front, with an appealing grassy/earthy type of finish. not much in the way of malt at all.
mouthfeel is nice, a medium body with very lively carbonation, very enjoyable.
overall a very solid IPA, worth trying if you can find it, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

Cool label reminds you repeatedly not to age this beer. Mine says bottled on 7/9/08. I bought it in December and drank it today (1/9/09). So it has been around for a little while but not too long.

Pours slighly hazy, creamy yellow color with thick bubbly head that is nearly pure pure white, leaving spotty lace up the glass.

Strong lemon-citrus hop aroma with a good malt base and a hint of banana.

Excellent fresh bitter iniitial flavor with definite citrus leads to a wandering, perfectly bitter aftertaste. Very hoppy. Very good.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, crisp, and dry. Perfect.

This is a great IPA. Distinct, bitter, but not at all cloying. The malt is solid, but not sweet. Not at all heavy. Very refreshing, and great for a hophead. Nice work.

4.44/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer was served in a Chimay chalice glass. Golden yellor color with not much head, but some lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma was full of fresh hops. The flavor matches the aroma. It is very hoppt. A perfect beer for hopheads. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, cleansing the palate with all the hop bitterness. This is very drinkable, but if your not a fan of hops, stay away from this beer and leave it for those of us that like over the top brews.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Served from a 500ml bottle

A-nice golden straw fairly high clarity with a nice white head with great lacing

S-Ehhh, smells like a big sack of sticky greens. Really, it does

T-Just like the smell.. with a great IPA hiding in there. Nice big malty backbone with insane pine and floral hop overtones. It is pretty tastey

M-Viscous, oily and wet. Really nice.

D-Really high, right fine brew

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Poured a darkened lemon with amber and slightly charred copper highlights. Head was minimal. While the retention and lacing were not noticeable this was filled to the top of the pint glass and exuded a menacing and welcoming tone.

S: Grapefruit and citrus zest. Sharp aromas like fresh pineapple and mango coupled against a flowery backdrop. Very slight malt backbone. Overall, still very crisp.

T: Solid fresh hop taste. Despite the sharp aromas this is still very mild and floral in tastes. Smooth with a citrus and lemon tang finish. I would recommend this to anyone looking to get into IPA's but not wanting to be completely overwhelmed by stabbing hops.

M: Medium and resiny with solid carbonation.

D: Another offering that I picked up at Collins in Seattle. Very drinkable and highly recommended with their rib eye.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

This refreshingly hoppy beer did not disappoint. Not intensely hop ridden but still noticeable within the aftertaste. The hops finished off with a sweet and pleasantly strong aroma. With a clear golden appearance this beer is both easy to drink and quite satisfying as well.

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

Enjoyed this on tap at the RR Brewpub itself.

It looked medium amber and clear, not much head but extensive lacing. It smelled like hop-head heaven. Simcoe hops seemed to dominate, a combination of floral and citrus.

Taste was very good, a great hop blast, well supported and well balanced. Overtones of licorice and small fruity notes. Mouthfeel was mildly astringent, clean finish, a little watery. Drinkability was outstanding, low enough in alcohol be almost be sessionable, and delicious and satisfying with every sip. Great stuff.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

A - Pours a clear and golden. Nice clear white head that stays during the drink.

S - Citrus hops dominate. Orange peels with a light pine notes, not much malt.

T - Clean hop flavors come right way... very light malt backbone... and clean hop finish. Very good IPA but kinda want a bigger malt profile in the middle for better balance.

M - Clean, medium carbonation, oily, thin body.

D - This is one solid IPA and has a similar hop profile to Pliny's and is less complex. A very drinkable IPA as the hops doesn't completely blast away your palate. Another very good brew from RRBC.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

On-tap at TJ's in Paoli; served in a pint

The long awaited Blind Pig.

Appeared a golden orange with a slight murkiness to the body. An orange infused off-white head sat about two fingers and left thin sheets of lacing all the way down the glass.

Huge pine and citrus nose. Grapefruits, pineapples, apricots and mangoes with fresh pine needles on a sweet toasted malt backbone. A very fresh and bright hop aroma.

Wow. Same as the nose. Bright, fresh citrus and pine needles with every sip. Oily hop resin finish. Overall on the sweet side, but does not drop the bitter hammer like I expected and wanted.

Creamy, chewy hop mouthfeel. Big and lush. I can almost feel myself chewing on hops. Slick, resiny aftertaste.

I honestly could drink this guy everyday all day. I just wish it was more readily available.

More impressed with this beer, not sure if it was fresher from bottle than from the keg i reported a while back. couple people preferred this to the Pliny. Pliny I thought blew it away. more IBU's in this? seemed to have an edgier bitter finish. nice nose. not sure if the price on this is much less than pliny, alc is much less, maybe go for this when looking for a lower alc beer. 4.0 across the board

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

500ml bottle poured in to a large chalice. Bottled on 09/05/08.

Pours a copper color with white fluffy head and residuals floating throughout. Medium carbonation. Sticky lacing left behind as the beer is drank. Smells of sugary malts and a light smell of fruity hops. Earthy, leathery malts complimented by a mild citrusy/fruity hops flavor. Mild bitter aftertaste. Light mouth feel with medium/low carbonation. I could definitely drink several of these beers. Overall I was fairly surprised how mild this beer was. After all, the label describes the beer as "...a bold IPA packed full of hop aroma, flavor, and bitterness." I didn't get this. Maybe I got a bad bottle or maybe because I drank it 119 days after it was bottled? Who knows? Not what I expected but still a good beer overall.

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%

I know Vinnie is not a big believer in "aged" IPA's, and generally I tend to agree with him. However, I recently came across this beer at my "home town" Market of Choice in West Linn, a store notorious for not rotating its stock in a timely manner. This particular bottle of Blind Pig was dated 7/29/08.

The beer pours a protypical peachy orange color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose, what can one say? This is IPA perfection. The beer has an incredible nose of wet tobacco, earth, allspice and hoppy bitterness. On the palate, this beer is off the charts. Maybe it's because the alcohol is so low (relatively), but this beer has not gained any malty sweetness, which is a typical problem for IPA's that have some bottle age. Instead.... this beer has flavors of fuji apple, wet tobacco, wet earth and a hint of cinnamon. As with the fresh version, the finish is just unbelievably dry and bitter.

IMO, a bit of bottle age has given this beer an element of complexity that the fresh version does not have. Not that there's anything wrong with fresh Blind Pig, but I'm amazed at the subtle flavor difference the beer seems to have undergone with some bottle age. Very, very impressive.

Mouthfeel is pretty light and drinkability is exceptional. As good as it gets when it comes to domestic IPA's. Excellent stuff.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

I heard raves about Russian River and now I know why. Very nice for its style. Hoppy taste, almost like juniper berries, but still drinkible. Color and smell are both outstanding. I had to go to San Deigo to find it as none of the Vegas stores carry it.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

Very light amber-yellow colored pour with a big fluffy head that evaporates rapidly. Heavy citrus aroma, mainly grapefruit and a little malt. Very dry, much more so than Pliny the Elder. Nearly as good as that beer though, another huge winner from Russian River.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is the first beer I ordered through the mail - from South Bay Drugs in Imperial Beach CA.

A very impressive IPA!!! Poured into my Weeping Radish Brewery pint glass. Pours a dark gold, completely clear, with a good size white head. Good head retention and heavy ladder like lacing.

Smell is of strong floral hops.

Tastes great!!! Based on the smell, I was expecting a fairly harsh floral hops taste with strong bitterness (fine for me because I am a hophead). The floral hops were there but the taste and mouthfeel were almost pillow-like soft and smooth....like the IPA counterpart to a Helles lager. There is hoppiness and bitterness but the overall effect on the tongue and palate is soft. Mouthfeel is a hair light but the combination of taste and soft feel more than make up for this.

Drinkability is awesome. I could swill this all night!!! A pity this is not available here in Virginia. A truly great beer.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

500 ml bottle poured into a tumbler. Consumed on Christmas Eve day.

A - Careful pour yields a frothy 2-finger head with good retention and sticky lacing down the glass. Light copper color with lots of suspended material.

S - Citrusy and piney hops along with light biscuity malt. Grapefruit is prominent. Smells fresh.

T - Piney hops up front then becoming more citrusy and floral. Faint but sweet malt presence. Finishes dry with a lingering bitterness. Balance is to my liking for an IPA.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. On the lighter-side for an IPA which I like.

D - Very high. I could easily drink a 6er. Among the most drinkable IPAs I've tried.

I wish I had a Racer 5 to compare this to but it seemed comparable. If this were available to me it would be a welcome addition to my IPA rotation.

3.63/5  rDev -16.2%

Fresh bottle

Appearance: Bright golden straw, crisp and clear - radiant and bright. It might glow in the dark. Great head and lacing.

Smell: Delicious hops, citrus, pine, apricot, grapefruit, resin & oils. Very strong aroma, you can smell it across the room. Perhaps a bit too bitter

Taste: Crisp and sharp; although something about the bitterness bothers me

Mouthfeel: Creamy; carbonation is perhaps a bit too aggressive.

Drinkability: Goes down easy enough; but somthing off about the newer batches I have had as compared to two years ago or so.

4.59/5  rDev +6%

bottled 10/22/08, poured 12/28, .5L bottle. this has been showing up on tap quite a bit here in Philly over the past several months, and I've been totally impressed. In fact I'll take this over Elder (which has been on tap here with even more frequency) just about any day. As one beloved corporation would say this beer is all about drinkability (ok ok I'm sorry). I'm glad to finally be sitting down and putting some thought into this experience. Anyways, the pour grows into a finger high blanket of dense creamy head, which slowly erodes back into my pint glass, leaving behind a nice coat of sticky looking lace. hazy and golden...

s: each inward breath through my nose is a near nasal orgasm, mostly due to my surprise at the big smells this beer emits. Dominated by tropical fruits - tangerines, a hint banana, green melon. But a bit of darker fruits are showing up also. The undertones of the earthy herbal piney stink weed become incredibly pronounced as the Pig warms. Exceptional would sum it up.

T: The taste is a bit slow up front...starts light and gentle with the citric acidity of OJ, opens into a hint of malty sweetness which metamorphoses into an explosion of liquid pine cones as the beer goes down. Yes this is what I have been waiting for, my throat is electrified with sticky floral hop goodness. By the time Pig is in my gullet my tongue and throat have been bombarded with this utterly superior floral bitterness and again the word orgasm comes to mind. And thats that... I can only think of only a few IPA's I've tasted that have been more impressive.

MF: crisp bright and light on the front of the mouth but leaves a sticky coating in my throat. This Pig can do tricks; its definitely doing double duty and wearing lipstick...the MF is an almost unbeatable example for the style.

D: There's probably a rule against mentioning AB twice during a RR review so I'll just shutup and say that it is almost certainly the best drinking IPA I've had in years, if not ever.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma: Huge, clear citrusy hop nose. Floral hop aromatics all over the place. Light sweet maltiness in the background but this bad boy is all about the hop.

Appearance: Brilliantly clear and effervescent with a sticky, sudsy white cap.

Flavor: Citrus, lemon zest, bittering hop resins, no malt base to speak of. Finish is dry and clean. It is amazingly smooth for being all hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium carbonation, and dry. No alcohol heat is present.

Overall impression: A classic West Coast IPA. This is clean and sharp. Truly a treat to cherish.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I poured from a 500 ml bottle into a tulip glass. It pours a golden yellow with a thick, lucious, white head. The head has nice staying power and leaves beutiful lacing. The aroma is of pine potpouri. Like any good IPA the taste is heavy on pine notes. The resin in this one coats your tongue and stays around for a while. There is a malty backbone that lets it have some balance. This pig is medium bodied with decent carbonation. It goes down very nice. Probably the best IPA I have had, it is a DIPA with a lower ABV.

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Golden delicious with a white head that lingers and lacing as if it were Victorian curtains.

S - Floral hops and more Floral hops

T - Floral Hops. Perfect blend of hops and malt. Well balanced for how HOPPY this IPA is.

M - Medium bodied very easy to drink.

D - I had two of these at the brewpub without effort. Goes down so smooth.

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company