Blind Pig IPA | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,426 | Ratings: 5,667
4.72/5  rDev +9%

Pours a straw colored gold in color. About half a inch of head develops on the pour. Smell is very citrusy and juicy. Wonderful. Taste is even more citrusy and juicy hops than appear in the nose. Light, bitter, but exploding with juciness. I love this. It's an overused expression, but, I could drink this all day long and never tire of it. I might even go out on a limb and say that I'm enjoying this more then the PtE. Would love to have this around regularly.
Many thanks to golubj for sending me this bottle.

3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

500ML/16.9 fl.oz. brown bottle with a 'Bottled On:' date of 072308. Poured to a Widmer pint glass. Label shows 6.10% ABV

Label, unlike the pictured 'unauthorized' version, is a rusty orange-brown with the 'Blind Pig' superimposed. Ringing the logo are many admonitions: DRINK FRESH, DO NOT AGE, NOT FOR SAVING etc. There's also an interesting paragraph about the term 'blind pig' - a prohibition era code for a beer, an unmarked mason jar...or something else.

A: An unfiltered copper orange - a fog of tiny suspended bits. It doesn't bother me that this is so relatively opaque (i.e. I can't see my hand through the glass); what bothers me is how little carbonation there is and how quickly the barely one-finger head melts away. The near-white cream dwindles to a thin film, but does leave a fine-looking lace in drooping bands. Color is lovely and lace is beautiful so a 'good' score seems apt.

S: Resinous pine and a pithy, almost dirty, grapefruit. Nostril-tingling tartness (I could actually feel this in my sinuses, a weird dull-throbbing after a big whiff!) coupled with an intensely 'green' lupulin infusion. Just enough sweet malt (more notable with some warming) to counterbalance.

T: If you like your hops BIG you'll love this one - spicy; bracingly bitter; juicy, cheek-drawing citrus rind. I don't recall many, if any, IPAs I've with quite this type of 'hop explosion'. That being said, this isn't really the type of IPA I enjoy; it comes of as boldly flavorful yet somewhat unbalanced. I tried this beer recently on draught with a friend who's a professed 'hop-head' and he actually felt the same way - too bitter without enough malt balance.

M: Probably my favorite aspect of this beer. Creamy, and smooth with a long-lasting hopping sitting firmly on the back of the tongue. Not quite 'pucker-inducing', but 'salivation-causing' or 'appetite-whetting' are descriptors that come to mind. Medium-full in the mouth.

D: Lives up to it's reputation as an intense, flavorful 'West Coast' IPA. Despite that fact, Blind Pig really didn't win me over. This beer has plenty of rave reviews and I can't discount them; mine is that this needs some balance to make it more palatable for my own tastes. Still, it's absolutely worth seeking out - judge for yourself.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Service Glassare, 12 ounce pilsner. Service Temperature, 40 degrees.

Through the glass I catch a strong clarity with a dawn like quality between the orange and yellows. The beer pours a strong white foamy head that dies quickly but leaves a mess of lace along the inside of the glass.
A waft of floral, & spice introduces itself before giving way to the hopped pine, along with some earth tones with each swirl of the glass into my glass.
Taking a sip I detect the familiar earth tones alongside with some slight spice and pine back-end. A nice caramel malt makes an appearance but only for a moment. A linger of bitterness prevails as I continue to allow the beer to work its way around.
The mouthfeel is overall well balanced.

Overall, a great lawnmower beer or just one to celebrate the exodus of summer on a nice day.

Cheer

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

500 ml. bottle, 6.1% ABV. Pours a very clear, light golden color. Nice white rocky head. Great head retention, and lace.

Floral and pine hop aroma, not overly intense. Not much else going on, just a soft showcase of hops.

Simple malt backbone, maybe a bit bready and lacking caramel. Good amount of floral and citrusy bitterness. Very well balanced, while still showing off the hops.

Medium body, with light carbonation. Very easy to drink. A simple, solid IPA that is not over the top.

3.71/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500mL bottle picked up locally, yeah, that's pretty cool.

Really nice hop nose, clean hops, gives me a the chills just sniffing it. Recently bottled 072308...bout as fresh as they get for what I can see.

Nice bitterness that doesn't get washed out. Leaves the pine, fruity hop flavor all over the mouth, like licking resin off my teeth. Doesn't have the malt to hold back the hops, this scrubbed my tongue and left it scared more than the Elder.

I liked it, nice beer.

Thank the gods I've developed a love for IPA's....

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Light copper with dense white foam. Head is 1/2 inch holding well. Smell is intense with citrus pine hops, very clean, and only lightly malt focused with a touch of caramel.

The flavor actually tastes more balanced than I remember when I tried it on tap. You can really see how much a few weeks in a bottle can affect the hops. The hoppiness is still pretty intense, with an grassy-orange character that is very nice. The malt tries to pair with a some sweet bread and a hint of caramel. Ultimately the hops win out leaving you with a sharp bitterness that drives at the tongue. Medium body, with carbonation that is decently sharp.

I'm very pleased that this beer is more accessible now, but I realize the importance of drinking it as fresh as possible. An ultimate beer for hop-heads, the bitterness is quite intense. I could keep coming back to this time and time again...

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

sampled on tap at the brewpub aug 31/08.

pours crystal clear golden amber with a small very dense fine white head. the head drops fairly fast and leaves lots of lace behind.

aroma is good. piney, slightly powdery hops. bit of orange peel. orange and tangerine. bread and cracker. hint of alcohol.

taste is great. just over medium bitterness level. orange with a bit of peel. grapefruit. whole wheat bread. bit of toasty character too. biscuit. bit of cracker. light alcohol.

mouthfeel is good. just under medium body and just less than medium carbonation.

drinkability is good. nicely balanced. solid malt base. good hop character. a solid ipa.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Had a couple glasses of this on the Cali trip, but finally reviewed it while hanging out at the RR brewpub sunday evening.

Pours a clear yellow gold, thin white head, drops to a thin ring around the glass, some lace spots on the glass. Smell is nice, pine and grapefruit, caramel, apricots, lightly fruity, a bit toasty, floral, big hops, nicely mixed up. Taste is nice, very biscuity and toasty off the bat, grainy, caramel malt sweetness, grapefruit, floral, some fruit, light pine, solid spicy bitter kick in the finish, very balanced and drinkable. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, smooth and enjoyable. Nice IPA. Top 100? Not in my opinion, but very good nonetheless.

4.85/5  rDev +12%

On tap at Falling Rock in Denver.

Blind Pig is an absolutely delicious IPA: golden/amber, with moderate carbonation and excellent (thin) head retention. Huge earthy/piney/herbal hop aromas and a full wallop of hop flavor. The bitterness is well balanced with a smooth malty finish, and it is hop flavor that lingers. Very light alcohol warming, which suggests its kinship with the Pliny beers. It is shockingly refreshing and easy to drink given the strength and style.

I like that this is an IPA where hop flavor is really the showcase. The malts are nicely used to restrain it from being too hop-heavy, but still, this is a hop lover's IPA.

A- Nice golden color with a bit more haze then Pliny the Elder. Thead is fluffy white with chunky lacing.

S- The hops are sweet and fragrant. Wonderful citrus smell that make this beer sing.

T- There is a fresh crispness about this beer. The hop character is not quite as sweet as I was thinking, but still very tasty. This beer is like eating a regular grapefruit, including the sour pith. Thats the type of taste I'm getting in my mouth at the moment.

M- Feels good in the mouth, the bitter after taste is definitely something that takes some getting used to.

D- Easy to drink, and over all tastes great.

4.44/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks to srandycarter for sending this one my way, with a birth date of 7/22/08. Poured into an old mason jar.

Pours a murky orange with some serious carbonation & a silly white head. Smell sends shock waves up my nose - holy hops! The only IPA I've had that could stand up to that smell is Surly's Furious, my favorite. Good stuff!

Taste is strong hops. There's a quick slash of hops & then silence. The hops are good, though. I like hops! I think they are searing away most of my taste buds. The IBUs on this have to be around 543. As the beer warms a bit I'm enjoying this more.

I'd like to sample a whole bottle of this, or have a couple, to see how it tastes through a slow sitting. Only the second Russian River beer I've tasted, & it's very good. Fantastic hops front & center & only the lack of complexity keeps this off the top tier of beers for me; but it's really, really close. Great stuff. I'm going to need to try this one again in the future.

3.93/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours amber brown with thin white head. Aroma is hops, hops and hops with subtle roastiness and pine. Flavor begins roasty and citrusy and finishes with nice hops in the throat and sinus. Medium body with very nice mouth feel. Very good India Pale Ale.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

On tap at Russian River in Santa Rosa, served in a pint glass. It has a nice clear amber color to it, very small head which left nice lacing for its size.

Smell has pine, spice, and grapefruit up front and slight honey in the background.

Tastes like hops. Yummy. Grapefruit, pine, spice meld nicely around a light malt. Very drinkable and went quite well with the pizza I got.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance: The pour is hazy lightish gold topped by two fingers of frothy white head.

Smell: The nose has fresh hoppy pine, grapefruit, and grass up front and ever so slightly sweet peach, mango, and orange.

Taste: The flavor profile has everything that's in the nose and they're all that they could be and more. The grass and pine are juicy, as are the citrus and tropical fruit, which also bring a hint of sweetness without tasting sugarfied. It's super hoppy, but it's crisp and refreshing and it doesn't smack you in the face with bitterness.

Mouthfeel: It's light to medium bodied and wet without feeling watery with lively carbonation.

Drinkability: No question, this would be my desert island beer. It's loaded with flavor, yet easy drinking, crisp, and refreshing. As close to a perfect beer as I can imagine.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Hazy orange color. Pours a big two finger off white head that slowly dissipated to a skim thickened around the rim. Generous lacing.

S: Lots of and variety of hops; citrus dominates, but also pine, and oily herbs. Didn't notice until I was about done, but no malt aroma.

T: Hops right up front; not in a bad way. A touch of earthy grain for a little balance.

M: Medium body and well carbonated. Smooth and creamy in the mouth.

D: Highly recommended this beer. Great taste.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Pour a nice light goldish hue with an above average head. The retention is good and some nice layers of sheet lace are noted.

S: Nice hop aroma, not as strong as the growlered version I enjoyed earlier in the year. It starts off with a nice blast of grapefruit with hints of green grass.

T: Still quite enjoyable when it comes to taste. Huge flavors really push thru on this one. Bold grapefruit with a huge helping of bitter hops. Touches of grass and pine can be detected. Nice array of hops can be detected here, and they seem to come in layers.

M: Medium in body with snappy carbonation. It really clings to the mouth allowing the beer to linger and provide full enjoyment.

D: Very drinkable by bottle or growler. It is one of the best tasting most drinkable beers in the world. I would put it up against any IPA in the world. Ittt'sss Gooodddd! A bit better in the growler than the bottle, but if I had access I would drink this one all summer long.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Poured out a golden orange color with a small, fizzy, bubbly, white head.

S - It smelled of tons of pine. Also some nice citrus and caramel notes.

T - This really jumps out with a bittter hop bite at first sip. Great burnt toast maltiness. This is a well balanced IPA with a bittersweet taste.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a very good IPA. My first RR beer has me wanting more.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

A - Clear Orange honey with prominent 1 inch white head. Reduces to 1/4 inch head, pretty good retention. Soapy lacing.

S - Full hop affront!

T - Malt is sweet and juicy and nice, but the hops completely destroy it. Finish is bitter to clean.

M - Nice overall mouth. Coats everywhere and its like I can feel the hop oil covering everything. Good carbonation, medium body.

D - Not a session beer, but a wonderful IPA. Every sips begs for another. I could grow weary eventually, however.

3.92/5  rDev -9.5%

Thanks to SkinnyElvis for this one.

This beer is a hazy golden peach with a lasting sandy film of white.

Smells of nectarines and sweet pine needles with an overall crisp dryness. The green vegetable essence of this one is rather nice.

The taste starts out with a crisp woody pine that's quite dry that is followed up by a dry earthy grain that reminds me of whole wheat toast crust and dinner rolls. The balance here is quite good, but it's <gasp!> a little dry for my liking.

Feels thick with a slight but aggressive carbonation that is quite clean.

Not too bad. If you like aggressive dryness, this one's for you.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

High-five to Mauerhan for the hook up.

So I'm sittin at the computer looking at some beers I wanna get, about noon, when in walks the wife with two homemade burritos, a Blind Pig bomber, and a glass. Man I must be a good husband. Let's do it...

Try the beer I mean.

Beautiful IPA. Orange amber haze. Great looking head, lacing.

Smells awesome! Man this smells good. Hops! Citrus, pine.

Taste full, and I mean chock full, of hops. Beautiful bitterness. Great tasting IPA.

I'm a huge fan of Stone Brewing and now the few offerings I've had from Russian River have been fantastic, so I'm a'liking this place too.

Overall: excellent IPA, be sure to try one before you die.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

I tried to ignore the hype behind the beer while I drank it, but that's easier said than done. Either way, it was a fantastic IPA.

A- Pours a dark, gold color with very little head, yet tons of lacing down my pint glass.

S- Hops and lots of them. Mostly pine in the aroma, but definately orange and grapefruit as well. Some sort of tropical fruit (mango?) squeezes a whiff in every so often.

T- The first few sips were like every other IPA I've had, however once my palate got used to the hops, I noticed that it had some pretty interesting properties. The citrusy/piney hops certainly play their parts well, however the little sweetness that there is is very unique. It's not the mild, caramelly malt that so many IPAs have way in the background. Rather, a mild and frefreshing fruity sweetness is there.

M- As it goes into my mouth, it feels so refreshing, but as soon as I swallow it, there's a brief pause, just long enough to think "Wow, that's hoppy!" It finishes very crisp and dry.

D- In spite of it's intense hoppiness, I actually could go for another, except that I don't have more :(

2.98/5  rDev -31.2%

Drank from a 1 PINT .9 FL. OZ./500 ML bottle purchased at City Beers, San Francisco, CA
Bottled on 070908
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a crystal clear, yellowish-amber color. Rather light for the style. The two-finger, bubbly, bright white head left thick rings of sudsy looking lacing all down the glass.

The aroma was hoppy and fruity. Citrusy with strong notes of orange, grapefruit and a hint of tropical fruits.

The taste was super hoppy and bitter from start to finish. Somewhat astringent. I could hardly detect any malt presence in this beer. The hops were crisp, spicy and grapefruit-like up front and they turned super piney by mid-palate. This intense, piney, bitter flavor carried into the dry and pithy finish. Overall, not a terribly complex beer.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied (a touch lighter than expected) with an average amount of carbonation.

This was unquestionably one of the most bitter beers I have sampled to date. I can appreciate a wide array of IPA's but there needs to be some semblance of balance for me to find them enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance - Pours a light coppery-golden with a fluffy tannish colored head.

Smell - I smell a load of hops, bitter piney ones. A hint of malt peeks through, but its really all about the hops.

Taste - Hops hit you, but not as hard as you might have thought from the smell. There's a semi-sweet malt flavor, as well as a touch of butter. Bitter is what lingers on the tongue though.

Mouthfeel - Thick and oily for an IPA, still with a good bit of carbonation there.

Drinkability - If the bitter was just slightly more rounded out, this one could be a staple. As is, still pretty damn good.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 500ml brown bottle into a mason jar.

Color is pale orange with a slight haziness. Head is ample and frothy.

Aroma is incredible - full of fresh hops. It's a good thing to follow the directions (sometimes) and I'm glad I did with this one.

Taste is fantastic as well. Lots of hops, very bitter and just barely balanced out with some sweetness. This is definately a west coast IPA done right. The taste and aroma are so fresh, it reminds me of homebrewing.

Mouthfeel is good, appropriate for the style.

Drinkability is good but I don't think I could drink something this hoppy all night. My tongue would cry for mercy.

This is an excellent beer and I'm glad that we are getting these in Colorado now. I can't wait to get some of their belgian offerings.

Note: when I was at Falling rock last week, I ordered the Elder and my friend ordered the Blind Pig. We both tried eachother's beer and his had a surprising pilsner quality to it, albeit a very hoppy pils. It's definately not found in the bottled version so I wonder what was up with the draft...

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

The Blind Pig pours a clear amber with a huge 3 finger foam head. It left some good lacing on the side of the glass, head retention was moderate.

This is my kind of IPA, bringing the strong hoppiness up to the schnauze. Bright hop smell with citrus and piney.

The taste has a good malt backbone and is really smooth for the hop characteristics it has. The IBU's give you a slight slap on the second part the the taste but not abrasive at all. In the mouth you are left with a nice tingling on the tongue and it is moderately carbonated. Overall a wonderfully solid American IPA.

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company