Blind Pig IPA | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

#317

Ratings: 5,792 |  Reviews: 1,451

4.27/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- Poured into a tulip glass. Pours a hazy golden yellowish-orange with a big foamy and frothy white head with great retention and lacing upon settling. Carbonation bubbles floating to the top

S- Citrusy hop aromas with some grassy notes, slightly spicy with some pine. Quite a bit of sweet doughy malt with some caramel undertones

T- Lots of fruity notes up front with some citrusy hop and pineapple flavors. Some piney/grassy flavors transform to a sweet and malty body with caramel and bread. The finish is somewhat dry with a subtle-but-noticeable hop linger

M- Medium body and carbonation lead to a creamy and smooth mouthfeel and a silky finish, drinkability is solid

O- RR continues to impress me. This beer is balanced in a way that I've rarely seen in an IPA. The hoppy notes are fresh and leading the flavor profile, but the bread caramel malt backbone compliments this beer so well. Like Pliny The Elder, it's drinkability is world class to so easy to drink. I wish this was available to me, as I would purchase it every chance I could.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from my friend Jim. Thanks, Jim. Pours yellow orange with a beautiful one finger foamy head. A lot of bubbles coming up through the beer. Lots of retention and lacing. The aroma is incredibly intense. Unbelievable. Makes me wonder what I have been drinking all these years that called itself and IPA. I get some pine (Simcoe?) and citrus on the nose. Slight floral accent is there, too. The wonderful thing about this beer is it does not taste like so many hop bombs I have had lately. I would describe the bitterness as medium and just toward the low end for the style. Finish is long and smooth. No harshness, just lingering bitterness. A pleasantly light sweetness balances the bitterness perfectly. The texture of the beer is creamy like the head. Medium body and mouthfeel is lightly tingly. Unlike some beers this beer does not improve as it warms. It is best drank in the first 25 minutes. Overall, a terrific beer. I intended to knock this beer down, because I am sick of all the hype surrounding the brewery. I came away from this beer with incredible respect.

3.5/5  rDev -19.7%