Blind Pig IPA | Russian River Brewing Company

Alströms:

Ratings: 5,781 |  Reviews: 1,449
4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Same as everybody else: bottled 5/02/2013

Poured into a cold large glass Just big enough to hold the entire 17.25 oz after a little sip.

Seductive honey color with a thumb-width cream-colored head which dissolved into a thin line with light delicate lacing.

I got a good hops whiff when I opened the bottle but after the pour the smell was pretty weak. Later, as the beer warmed a little, I got good honey and malt smells, but somewhat light on the citrus or pine.

Great flavor! Loads of hops but surprisingly light on the bitterness. It's there, just not the massive IBUs of some. Now... I LIKE high IBUs and might normally downgrade an IPA for being too light, but this beer pulls it all together. This is the taste I want.

Mouthfeel? I call it after-taste. After the swallow you get the resiny hops clinging to the tongue and supplying plenty of recycled flavor. I sort of pump my tongue to cycle this past my nose. I dare say this is my favorite part of any big-hops beer. Now I sort of like Palate Wrecker better for this -- not for quality, but for shear quantity and durability of the aftertaste. For aftertaste quality, this Blind Pig is as good as it gets, in my opinion.

Overall: YES. What else can I say?

4.89/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

17.25 oz. bottle purchased at Ales Unlimited (gotta ask for it!) in San Francisco, CA, bottled on 5/2/13, poured into a hotel style glass and drank over ~30 minutes.

A: 4.75 - straw yellow coloration, hop haze (couldn't read through), white half-finger head subdues into subtle glass lacing, moderate alcohol legs for a 6+% beer

S: 5 - BOOM! lots and lots of grapefruit, pine, resiny dank aromas just pouring out of the bottle on opening the glass; as it warms, you definitely pick up more of the bready/biscuity qualities of the malt; really nicely-balanced aroma here!

T: 5 - based on the aroma, I was anticipating a slap of bitterness, which I don't usually enjoy, but I didn't get this at all! There is a slight bitterness on the anterior tongue but in the middle of the mouth, hop flavors predominate...pine, resin, tangerine and lots and lots of grapefruit again on the back of the tongue/aftertaste; little malt presence for me and super-dry

M: 4.5 - moderate bodied; high (and impressive) carbonation just pouring off the bottom of the glass in tight little bubbles and pushing the hop aroma right into your face; the only flaw here, I think, was the alcohol was a little too present in the taste for my liking and the relatively low content

O: 4.75 - definitely an exemplar of a West Coast IPA; lots of dank, citrus flavor and aroma, superdry; I'd put this up there with Ballast Point Sculpin, Green Flash IPA, Stone IPA and others as the best examples in class; cheers!

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 05/02/13.

Bottle reads 6.25% abv.

A: Pours a pleasant clear golden color with 2 fingers of off-white bubbly head. Quickly dissipates to 1/2 finger of head and then to a film. Lacing is strong in places and nonexistent in others... inconsistent but nice.

S: Smells strongly of hops, primarily citrus character with a little malt sweetness

T: After the nice smell, I was hoping the hop flavors would step up and "wow" me when I finally took a sip, but I was a little disappointed. The flavor is nice, but not terribly strong, with citrus and pine dominating, but malt being present. It finishes with a bitterness and a flavor that is a little earthy or even grassy. Certainly not bad (and definitely well above average) but I am a little let down. After going through most of a pint and allowing it to warm a bit, the hop flavors have stepped up as expected and have actually made this quite good for an IPA. Enjoyable and highly drinkable.

M: Very pleasant. Not overwhelming, nicely carbonated, and very drinkable/refreshing. With how fast I'm tearing through this bottle, I'm surprised at just how drinkable this beer is.

O: Very glad I finally tried this. It won't become a staple beer for me, but I'm definitely not sad to have some of these on-hand. A very solid IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

4.46/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to leschkie for this one...

A: Pours a nice translucent yellow/orange gold with one full finger of pure white head. The foam takes a bit to settle and there is only a bit of lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is pine and orange citrus. It smells wonderfully hoppy without overdoing it. I get a little bit of malty sweetness but only in the background.

T: It starts off wet and flavorful. Light sweetness with drying pine hops up front. Sweeter in the middle ad the orange citrus notes begin to shine. The back end is a touch vegetal. Hoppy and a touch dry. Nice.

M: Medium bodied beer. It's light and refreshing to start. The beer hits the palate bright but soft. The flavors swirl in the middle and there is a hoppy bite to dry it out in the finish.

O: Very nice. This is something that I would love to drink as often as possible. Too bad Russian River is a few thousand miles away.

3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

4.77/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a golden honey color, filtered and clear as a bell with a generous two finger soapy white head, lively carbonation,solid lacing.

The nose is subdued when making the inevitable comparison to Pliny, which has more going on with the seductive phenols and tropical infusion. There are floral hints in there along with some light clementine, and a piney presence of hop goodness in the spotlight.

Taste is an altogether different game: Blind Pig offers a splendid blast of clementine juiciness, some candy like malt sweetness,and a distinct pungent hop kick. Medium to full bodied, mothfeel is sticky & chewy hops,oily and flavorful. Smooth easy drinking with no alcohol detected.

Russian River knows how to make great liquids, and Blind Pig is a fine example. Get a bunch of these if you can get your hands on them, highly recommended.

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company