Blind Pig IPA | Russian River Brewing Company

4.36/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 5,781 |  Reviews: 1,449
3.2/5  rDev -26.6%

It's one of the hardest beers I've ever rated. Some things about it are great, but I'm afraid other things about it are not so great. I'm in the minority here, when I say this isn't one of the better West Coast IPA's. What's even more surprising, at least to me, is that I love Pliny the Elder from Russian River, but really have not warmed up to this at all.

Things start well with a chunky light tan head that refuses to go away floating on top of the hazy orange brew. And the aroma works for me, with mostly floral and slightly citrus hop notes dominating. And then I take a sip and...well, there's some citrus and floral character to the hops, but also a lot of bitterness there that really isn't pleasent, almost like chewing on a tire. Some malt is in there, but I just found this a bit harsh and astringent, and dare I say, a bit watery. I could drink this OK, but not as easily as a lot of other IPA's I've had.

I call them as I see them and sorry to say, I don't think this one deserves all the praise people heap onto it.

3.2/5  rDev -26.6%

2009 rate. I think something was wrong with this bottle so I should revisit this. I really dig both Plinys so I understand this should be a beer I enjoy given how great the brewery is.

Pours a strangely-light clear straw with a quickly receding head. Not the burst of hops I expected. Really subdued. A bit watery in the mouth, with a strange, harsh finish. Some nice characteristics, certainly drinkable, but absolutely below-average. I’ve had a dozen better IPAs in the last week. I have really enjoyed Russian River, but this is a strange offering.

3.22/5  rDev -26.1%

Bottle 8/10 poured into a sniffer on 9/4

Look: Appears a golden-orange color. Lots of very large soapy bubbles with small bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass
Smell: Aroma is honey and malt with some citrus elements. It also has a “dirty” water smell to it which I haven’t experienced before with a beer.
Taste: Taste is malt flavor followed pine and sap notes. Bitterness rolls during the middle and leaves the mouth dry. Maybe it is the age of the bottle but the taste disappointing giving the “prestige” around this beer
Feel: Crisp. The malt gives it a nice feel in the middle of the mouth
Overall it definitely has the balance I expect from RR but this was way too muted in flavor for my taste. Maybe I need to drink it fresher but given this experience I wouldn’t purchase it again if given other choices.

3.23/5  rDev -25.9%

Bottled 12-06-10 and kept in refrigeration until I bought it last week. Poured into a tulip.

Russian River makes some beautiful IPAs. Blind Pig pours a pale gold, lustrous and awe-inspiring in its clarity. A half-finger head of foamy off-white crowns the gorgeous nectar, collapsing slowly to a top layer that -- while thin -- is rather sticky, gripping the sides in impressive webs of lace.

Nice hops in the aroma, but I'm more impressed by the malt: crackers and caramel in decent portions. There's a bit of sweet lime, grapefruit and a good amount of dank character.

The flavor is nice, though very subdued. Crackers, grapefruit peel, some honey, maybe even a hint of basil. A light bitterness grabs the sides of the tongue without much strength.

The body is a soft medium and a fizzy medium-light carbonation bubbles up the brew as it moves about.

Pliny and now this. Russian River's IPAs age like milk, even when they're in the fridge the whole time. This is drinkable enough, but it seems it's become a rather middling IPA. I'll seek it out on tap in the future.

3.27/5  rDev -25%

Poured from the pint bottle into a large snifter.

A: The beer is a hazy dark orange color with 2 fingers of incredibly quickly dissipating off white head.

S: Slightly citrusy with a good balanced character. Odd sort of medicinal smell in there somewhere and a soapy (?) character. Very hoppy. Not much balance.

T: Wow - intensely bitter with no balance. Not my cup of tea, but strong hop character. Sappy bitterness all the way through - I feel like I'm chugging sap and earwax. Slight citrus flavor in there somewhere of orange rind and pulp. This one is all bitterness. Jesus.

Notes: I don't think I'll be coming back to this one. I very much enjoyed Pliny and the bitter yet balanced character it brought to the table. This one is way too unbalanced brutally bitter-for-no-real-reason way. Hard to get through the whole bottle.

The bottle explains that a "Blind Pig" was a term for beer you would get during prohibition. This definitely could pass as moonshine...

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company