Blind Pig IPA | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,430 | Ratings: 5,680
4.31/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 10/1. Drank 23 days later, and I'm hoping it hadn't fallen off too hard already. I only say that because it seems to be missing just that zing I'm expecting on the back end. Strong hoppy nose and taste combines with mild bitterness, slight juicy feel. I guess I'm being unfair and not meeting this one on its own terms, because I had a Pliny last night and that just seems to have the "total package" Blind Pig lacks for some reason. I don't know – maybe it's that Pliny has a higher ABV.

4.21/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Always like this beer. It's a nice mix of Midwest, and west coast. A bit bitter and piny, but not sharp. A bit malty, but not too sweet. Great easy drinker, especially fresh.

4.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Really good IPA. I have heard a few people say they prefer this to Pliny and thiugh each to his own I disagree. However, it's still excellent in its own right. A little more dry than Pliny overall and maybe just a tiny bit hoppier overall. Put it this way, I would never turn this beer or Pliny down

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Transparent golden color, one finger off white head
Juicy citrus followed by fresh pine; slightly floral
Tropical fruits up front, awesome piney bitterness on the back end
Medium light body but provides dry bitterness
Once of my favorite ipas and one of the great reasons to visit RR!

4.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving Type: Bottle (dated 10.1.15)
Consumed: 10.4.15

A: 4.5 Pours a clear, copper-gold with a one inch, off-white head. Good retention and lots of lace.

S: 4.75 Plenty of hops on the nose with waves of pine and onion up front. Grapefruit, honey, and lemon show up as the pine settles down. The hop character fits beautifully in with subtle, earthy malt aromas.

T: 4.25 Taste is similar to the nose, but a bit less complex and balanced. Starts with a bit of sweetness and honey flavors, followed by fairly bitter, piney hops, then finally lingering malt and more, grassy bitterness.

M: 4.5 The body is really nice and substantial while remaining crisp and refreshing; this is probably in part due to the excellent carbonation level.

O 4.5 Excellent beer. Not quite as balanced as Pliny, but the amazing aroma and drinkability almost make up for it.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This bottle is almost two months old at the time of review. The beer comes in an amber color. There isn't much aroma. A little bit of malt and pine. The taste is a pretty standard west coast malt character with some great hop flavor coming through. I think I would enjoy a fresher bottle more.

4.99/5  rDev +15.2%

Received two bottles in a West Coast to East Coast trade.

A: Golden coloring, slightly orange. Off white head with great lacing.
S: Very citrusy and piney. Smells juicy!
T: Nice sweet pineapple and citrus flavors throughout, with a small amount of toasty malt.
M: Slight bitterness with a juicy, wet feel. The finish is somewhat dry.
O: This is a fantastic beer which is overlooked sometimes due to the hype that Pliny the Elder receives. I would definitely recommend a fresh Bling Pig to anyone, cheers!

4.81/5  rDev +11.1%

I loved this beer got this sent to me in a 22oz. Poured good taste was great I think this is the best beer from Russian River. Wish I could get it more out here in NJ.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Total classic, and I kinda love that the taste is "classic IPA" in nature -- piney bitterness in this one. Very floral. Some caramel sweetness as well that pokes through, but the story here is that piney bitterness that sits on the back of your tongue well through the last gulp. Nose is nice, pine, caramel, some faint citrus and a light herbal/earthy character.

4.59/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very approachable IPA for amount of hop it carries, with lots of depth of flavour and a very dry finish.
S- Its sweet on the nose, with hints of rye bread and apricot.
T- Subtle and complex this beer goes through the full typical ipa fruit spectrum but carries nice cardamon, cumin and butterscotch as well. The hop is in the middle allowing time for a sweetness fresh finish that prevents any of the cloying build up that many hop-heavy ipa's have.
F: Very dry, light but not thin.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really liked this beer and it certainly lived up to the hype. I am not one of the people who thinks this beer is better than Pliny, but this was still an awesome beer.

1.87/5  rDev -56.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

510 ml bottled on 082615. Exactly two weeks old.

L: Clear golden in color. Small head quickly settled before I even get a chance to instagram it :) very nice lancing. Beautiful appearance for sure.

S: Big fail. This one is not aromatic. If there's no date on the bottle I would assume this is pretty old. Very light citrus, light caramel and hint of pine.

T: bland, reminds me of an old english-style ipa. I can't believe the hype of this beer. There's a light spicy/herbal flavors that I can't describe but noting really unique.

M: unpleasantly dry aftertaste, very bitter, and very light. Extremely drinkable but not sticky or juicy. Very good carbonation however, I really enjoyed that part.

O: Maybe the most underwhelming drinking experience. Extremely overhyped beer. This is nothing close to a good ipa, definitely below average ipa.

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap:
Pale yellow, lightly hazed beer. I like the light pale color, the white addition seems a tad odd.??head makes up for the color, though: nice, white, and foamy at the edges. Lacing comes in spotted sheets.

The nose is surprisingly . Warmth brings out some grassy notes. I also get a little lemon rind.
The taste, however (and mildly paradoxically) is quite enjoyable. Mildly hoppy opening that seems clean of malt. The initial taste I get reminds me of noble hops. More hops pile on that add a more distinctively grassy flavor. Despite the draw on the tongue this brings, it somehow seems refreshing with hints of citrus-including the lemon rind from the nose.

Finally the somewhat unexpected spice bite hits. It's sort of like I picked a stalk of grass from a field and stuck it in my mouth like I did when I was a kid to emulate what I assumed farmers did.

Solid IPA.

4.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorite IPA's.

Look- Pours a beautiful slightly hazy pale orange with small streams of carbonation.

Smell- Citrusy, hoppy, and a tad sweet, not as aromatic as other IPA's though.

Taste- Wonderfully citrusy and hoppy, ever so slightly sweet that balances out the bitter perfectly. Very very tasty.

Feel- Quite light and easy to drink for the style. Many IPA's I have had are almost a meal in themselves, but not this one. Very refreshing and drinkable.

Overall- As I said earlier, it's my favorite IPA. Very easy to drink, perfectly balanced, and very tasty. I definitely recommend and I will definitely buy again.

3.22/5  rDev -25.6%

Bottle 8/10 poured into a sniffer on 9/4

Look: Appears a golden-orange color. Lots of very large soapy bubbles with small bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass
Smell: Aroma is honey and malt with some citrus elements. It also has a “dirty” water smell to it which I haven’t experienced before with a beer.
Taste: Taste is malt flavor followed pine and sap notes. Bitterness rolls during the middle and leaves the mouth dry. Maybe it is the age of the bottle but the taste disappointing giving the “prestige” around this beer
Feel: Crisp. The malt gives it a nice feel in the middle of the mouth
Overall it definitely has the balance I expect from RR but this was way too muted in flavor for my taste. Maybe I need to drink it fresher but given this experience I wouldn’t purchase it again if given other choices.

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Ok.. Russian does outstanding beers period, but this one did not live up to the hype.. Plenty of bitterness and quite hoppy made it a little unbalanced for me, still an exceptional beer which I'll try any day of the week..good IPA RR!

4.85/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

RR knows their IPA's and this one is done just as well as thier flaghip Pliny. Very smooth and easy drinking. Coppery coloring, fresh hops with both citrus and pine. Excited to dive into the 6 pack I just got from RR.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A very tasty and easy to drink brew from Russian River. I was expecting a little more but I didn't get it. This beer seems like it is a little brother to Pliny the Elder.,I still would have another one and I would recommend you try it for yourself. If someone offered one to me I would not turn it down!!

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Blind Pig on draft is a very exciting experience. I find it very smooth with subtle tropical fruit flavors with a big hoppy finish that lingers for some time. Carbonation seems to be middle of the road and the head dissipates almost immediately. Other than that, I love this beer and will walk miles, once a week, to savor a pint or two at a very fortunate bar.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap at Monk’s cafe, Philly. Pours deep golden with fluffy white head and nice lacing. Aroma is of citrusy hops, tropical fruit and bready malt. Body is full and tangy. Citrusy hops dominate the palate, while bready malt and ripe fruit provide support. Finish is long and dry. Excellent brew.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a orange almost red hue with a off white head that disappears pretty quickly. The lacing on this is really nice and wraps the inside of your glass all the way down. Lots of pine and a bit of citrus. Not overly bitter and very well balanced. A top notch IPA.

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

16oz Bottle Dated 072715

A — Pours a ruby hued coppery orange hue into the glass. Reminiscent of the label color. Very nicely pours with a puffy khaki colored head. Though it doesn't stick around long, the head settles and leaves some nice lacing behind it and is quite consistent.

S — Smells of lots of fresh hops and is quite bitter, lots of piney, citrusy aromas, lots of character.

T — Nice layers of flavors, quite bright, lots of piney character, some bright bitter citrus, and is overall bitter and resinous without being overly sweet or sticky and cloying.

M — Medium bodied, long and lasting finish, bitter and dry.

O — Quite nice overall, really well done, delicious and balanced.

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Love this beer. As much as Pliny especially after they tweaked the hops in Pliny. Aroma is floral and crisp and fresh. Taste is also crisp with notes of berry and citrus. Not unpleasantly bitter at the end. Beautiful golden color and creamy head.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

7/26...on tap at Monk's. Bright copper, low foam, but full lid. Spicy pine nose. Citrus too. Powerful balanced hop cuts through a malty base, grapefruit, pine abounds. Bitter stays with you. Delicious.

4.26/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Growler poured into Russian River Chalice

L-Clear, golden 1/2 inch head, little retention, minimal lacing

S-Floral, fruity hops.......Mango, papaya, melon, passion fruit

T-Follows the nose, sweet malts, fruity, floral hops.........slight bitterness in the finish

M-Lite to medium body, mild carbonation, chewy

O-Great hop flavor, very drinkable, good balance

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company