Beatification | Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

This beer is very unique and inspired by breweries in the Lambic region of Belgium and, especially, our friends at Cantillon. It is 100% spontaneously fermented, meaning yeast is not added. Once the beer is brewed, it is transferred to a cool-ship or “horny” tank located in our barrel room at the pub. There it sits overnight and collects whatever funky wild yeast and bacteria may be living in the room. The next day it is transferred to oak wine barrels where it ferments wildly and ages for a few months. The end result is a wild, spontaneously fermented, sour, and tasty hand-crafted beer!

Added by hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

Ratings: 2,641 |  Reviews: 561

4.98/5  rDev +11.4%

Recent batch obtained in a trade and poured into a snifter. It pours a goldish color with small amount of head (fades quickly too). The smell definitely has barnyard funk, yeast, apples, grapes, pears, oak, etc. The taste is pretty tart with a small amount of sweetness on the back end. Has medium body with decent carbonation. Overall, this is a superb offering from RR and worth seeking out for sure; you will not be disappointed! Cheers!

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

This is a pretty special one for #BOTG 62. Pretty hard to find, thanks to Kevin Harvest for his generosity here. RR corked and caged bottle, popped bottle, and poured slowly into my JK Farmhouse glass. Pours a really cloudy golden color, some white, tight bubbles in the head. It looks like a sour! It actually resembles a Gueuze in a lot of ways. Smell- sour green apples, citrus, earthy funk! I get some eastern asia tropical fruits (like a star fruit)- very tart aroma. Also, some vinegar aroma. So many things in common with a good gueuze. Taste- oh my god, puckering sour. Its the sour you get from biting right into a green apple (unripened) and gnawing on the skin. There is a sugary tartness on my teeth. Also, I get some sour patch kids sourness too. Definite vinegar present on the end, it works well with the sourness, not a detractor at all. This is an A+ sour. One of the best I've ever had for sure.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Wow, what can I say about this, I have been waiting to try this one for what seems like forever. Almost impossible to get a bottle of Batch 001, so I just waited it out and received my Batch 002 supply yesterday. Wasting no time at all I threw one in the fridge and let it chill down to a respectable temperature before pulling it out at about 9:00pm last night. The 375,l corked and caged bottle looked wonderful and I practically started drooling before I could even get it open. Needless to say I grabbed the closest snifter I could and found my new Belgium one and slowly poured the contents inside....

Appearance - A slow pour, being careful not to disturb the sediment left the most hazy golden, amber colored liquid imaginable. No head at all on this, well minimal at best with just a slight quarter inch layer of white coming across the top, good news was that it never did get any lower then that. Great side glass presentation on this one as nice silky smooth looking, cascading layers of white fizz, almost looking like sea spray just swirled around the sides of the glass. Some light carbonation could be seen coming up from the bottom throughout the session. As would be expected there was a bit of yeast sitting at the bottom of the glass after it settled. I was impressed but what would happen next would be off the chart....

Smell - The aroma was simply to die for. I love me some Brett, but this was literally taking it to a whole new level. I knew this would be nice, but my wife chuckled as I sat there for an hour sniffing this, as if...well you could imagine. Just the most grand, funkified, tart, sour, vinegar like smell you could come across, but in a good way. Rich and complex there seemed to literally be no end in sight for the depth of this one. Towards then end of the session, I may have just gotten used to the funky sour Brett, when I noticed some light fruit maybe coming into play, this was like a fine wine almost in aroma, I mean just insanely good. I am almost speechless, but I had to eventually stop smelling it and actually try it....

Taste - If I thought it smelled good, I do not even know how to put into words the flavor of this one. It was just wonderful. Started out with a full on assault of sour, Brett funk, that rolled through the mouth, sucking up and puckering anything that it came in contact with, but once it got past, it opened you up to a whole world of woody flavors that were hidden underneath. There was some light fruitiness of some sour, perhaps grapes, or green apples, that you could start to pick up as it rolled along, and there was a touch of sweetness there as well. This was not entirely unbalanced, far from it. In fact I think if you do not let this one warm up a bit, you are really cheating yourself out of how good it could be. It was remarkable in hour tart it was but just how well it blended. The finishing notes were really starting to show hints of the barrel aging, with nice wood notes coming through and it really getting a nice earthy feel to it.

Mouthfeel - Such a wonderfully rich and complex taste, would be nothing without the accompanying good feel. And, this one did not disappoint in any way. Nice medium bodied ale, there was more then adequate carbonation put through on this one. It never did get flat, or dull in any way, in fact it seemed to get better as the session wore on. Silky smooth in its consistency, I was in love with this one right away.

Drinkability - In a word it was outstanding, the flavors were so rich and complex that I literally could not stop sipping on this one if I tried. The feel so delicate and smooth that I literally just let it sit there and roll around to absorb the most out of it that I could. This was truly remarkable in every possible way.

Overall I was simply blown away by this one. It was easily the best sour ale I have ever had, and easily one of the best beers I have ever had hands down. I can now see why people rave about this one as much as they do, it really is that good. It has a light texture to it that is unmatched, and the Brett, is just perfect. Go out and get this if you are a fan of the style, if its not your thing, and you do not like the style, you are not going to like this, it's the epitome of the style. Simply astounding.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Big thanks to largadeer for this bottle of Batch 002. I'm celebrating being officially done with law school as of 2pm today!

a - pours a very hazy honey color, one-finger white head, retention around the edges, moderate lacing, good for a sour ale

s - sour apple and intense barnyard funk, notes of cucumber strangely, light citrus, grapefruit and lemon

t - sour apple and white grape up front which quickly develops into an intense sourness that engulfs the whole palate, huge amount of brett funkiness and hints of grapefruit, lemon and orange on the mid-palate, more citrus and green apple on the finish along with lingering funk and notes of oak and leather, as it warms, the lemon becomes more pronounced, in one word: Awesome!

m - medium-bodied, lots of carbonation, very active in the mouth, moderately dry on the finish, very sour but easy on the palate at the same time, perfect mix of body and carbonation for the style

d - while this is certainly an intense beer, the complexities and refreshing nature keep you drinking, very sour yet easy on the palate, damn, I wish this came in 750s

I've wanted to try this beer for well over a year-and-a-half, and I have to say, it was well worth the wait. One of the best beers I've ever had. I couldn't think of a better special occasion beer. I need to get some more bottles of this asap!

Batch 2

Poured from a bottle at monk's kettle

It poured a nice lite yellow, an off gold heather straw color. With a mighty funk odor presiding from the glass. This beer was super tart and super dry, with a strong citric taste. There was also a very bretty taste. The taste was very malleable, varying from sip to sip, jumping from the barnyard brett to a bone dry lemon making it a pleasure to drink. That combined with the low ABV, lack of sweetness and the pleasant fuzziness, I could have drunken this all day. Yet this review still comes out a bit drunk. Go figure!

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Thanks to an awesome BA who poured me the last few oz of his bottle. Review from notes on 4/24/10

A - Poured a nicely hazy lemon yellow/tangerine with a frothy white head. Not much retention, as expected with most wild ales. Sparkles in the sun. Wow. 4.5

S - This is simply fantastic. So much going on here, yet I feel I'll be doing this beer injustice by attempting to describe it. But here goes. A crisp tart aroma similar to extremely tart lemons, a touch of that "barnyard" funkiness like a bit of earthy mushrooms, a very small bit of grass and a bit of oak. This is simply excellent. 5.0

T - Extraordinary tartness explodes with citrusy and a faint kiwi-like flavor. Followed closely with that distinct "barnyard" earthiness and a long, sour finish. I wish my vocabulary for wild and sour beers was better. 5.0

M - Light, crisp, well carbonated. So incredibly smooth. There is no "bite", nor is it lacking carbonation in any way. So well balanced. 5.0

D - What do you think?! This is phenomenal. Truly an enlightening experience in my beer ventures. 5.0

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Batch PH1. Served in an Ommegang glass.

A: Brilliantly clear, highly carbonated amber body. There was an initially thick white head but it fell quickly leaving nothing on the sides of the glass but only a rim of head on the edge.

S: The La Folie influence on the aroma is overwhelming. I can immediately recognize it. The aroma is nice and tart with some citrus notes. VERY inviting.

T: Damn, I love wild ales and this one is outstanding. Very pronounced tartness but it still manages to be smooth. Great pucker effect. The flavor has an earthy note typical of Brett. There are also some sour cherries lurking in the background. This is really a top notch beer. Brew this again Russian River!!

M: The carbonation is great on this and gives it a great mouthfeel. It takes what would otherwise be a pretty light bodied beer up a notch or two and gives it enough body to last.

D: Outstanding. Perfect. Top notch. Insert any other compliments you can think of. Especially when you consider that it is only 5.5% ABV, the drinkability on this is out of the park. This is by far my favorite RR beer and certainly one of the best beers I have had.

Edit: When you drink this beer, pour the yeast into the last sip. It is excellent.

4.96/5  rDev +11%

4.96/5  rDev +11%

One of the best beers I've had, without a doubt. Amazing how many different fruit and other aromas/flavors come out of this beer from the combination of bacteria and yeasts, without actually having any fruit. Pretty much every aspect of it was fantastic, down to the perfect mouth feel. It's not often outside of a big stout/barleywine that I say to myself "wow this beer has a great mouth feel!" but it was there, all right.

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company